Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8029639 times)

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #400 on: February 20, 2014, 07:04:24 AM »
I organized a work trip to coincide with my cousins wedding.  All it took was talking to my sales guy.  Saved me 425$ woo!

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #401 on: February 20, 2014, 08:18:46 AM »
I haven't brought lunch in days because I befriended a person in facilities who knows a guy with a pizza parlor who gives them leftovers.
I want to be your friend.  Awesome!

Done.  We shall form an alliance of woolly herd animals.  As soon as we work in the same building.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #402 on: February 20, 2014, 09:30:02 AM »
I cooked Bourbon Chicken...

Thanks for the recipe.  I'll have to try it.  Unfortunately it means I have to buy apple juice (or will applesauce work???).  +1 on another's suggestion to freeze ginger.  I get free ginger from my MIL who grows it (and says it's incredibly easy to grow).  Like 1-2 lbs at a time.  It all goes in the freezer and I pop out a chunk and grate it into stir fry sauce when I want it gingery.  I'm not convinced it tastes a lot better than powdered ginger (in a sauce), but many swear it does. 

jhartt3

« Reply #403 on: February 20, 2014, 10:19:13 AM »
forgot my lunch at home ... normally i would go out to chipotle b/c it fits my crazy 4 hour body diet.  spend about 10 bucks including gas.  Just gonna tough it out and wait til dinner.  More weight loss and less money. 

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #404 on: February 20, 2014, 10:37:36 AM »
you can totally freeze fresh ginger and then when you need to use it, just pull it out and grate it frozen.
Thank you!  I always struggle with what to do with the unused ginger because I don't use it regularly.  Do you put it in a freezer bag?  Wrap it in paper? 

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #405 on: February 20, 2014, 11:59:16 AM »
thanks for the recipe, MrsPete! I'm OBSESSED with freezing homemade stuff to make cooking easier... will definitely try this one. on that note, you can totally freeze fresh ginger and then when you need to use it, just pull it out and grate it frozen. I started doing this because I too struggled to use up fresh ginger, plus it's nice to have some on hand for impromptu use.
I share this obsession, and sauces are my FAVORITE things to freeze.  They take so little space, and then I can use them on chicken, shrimp, or whatever.  Incidentally, this sauce is also good on bite-sized pork, but it is too strong for shrimp. 

I have frozen fresh ginger, but if I make up ten recipes at once (that amount uses up a large apple juice and a good-sized ginger root), that extra step isn't necessary. 
I cooked Bourbon Chicken...

Thanks for the recipe.  I'll have to try it.  Unfortunately it means I have to buy apple juice (or will applesauce work???).  +1 on another's suggestion to freeze ginger.  I get free ginger from my MIL who grows it (and says it's incredibly easy to grow).  Like 1-2 lbs at a time.  It all goes in the freezer and I pop out a chunk and grate it into stir fry sauce when I want it gingery.  I'm not convinced it tastes a lot better than powdered ginger (in a sauce), but many swear it does.
I don't think I'd try applesauce in this recipe.  You need the liquid. 
I'm in the group who says fresh ginger makes a difference! 

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #406 on: February 20, 2014, 12:00:29 PM »
Accepted a free brand new boxed card game "Lost Cities" from a coworker, who I discovered shares a love of german style strategy games and was gifted a second copy.  Weekend fun to ensue...

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #407 on: February 20, 2014, 12:21:35 PM »
Thanks MrsPete- Your chicken sounds great! I wonder, have you ever tried it over chicken pieces in the crockpot? Sounds like it would be a really easy and tasty way to do it!

CommonCents - "Lost Cities" is a great two player card game, great for when you want to take a bit of a breather from the really heavy strategy games! We were gifted "Mr. Jack" Pocket for Christmas which is as strategic as chess and quite intense, usually once we have fried our brains we follow up with Lost Cities:)

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #408 on: February 20, 2014, 12:40:20 PM »
MrsPete - that sounds amazing.  I love doing quick freezer meals, especially since DH and I work weird hours.  It saves us from a lot of takeout and frozen pizza.  I'll have to make up a batch.   

For saving money on infrequently used food ingredients, I use ice cube trays, freeze it, and then vacuum seal in a ziploc bag, the ones with a valve and little hand pump.  For ginger, I buy a ton, then grate it through my food processor.  You can do the same trick with fresh herbs with a tiny bit of water.  It's also great to freeze dregs of wine for later cooking, the extra chipotle peppers from a can, or anything else that you may only use small amounts of.  Oh, and if the coffee in the pot gets cold, freeze the remains and use in iced coffee or pour Baileys over it.  You can even freeze egg whites or yolks, if you have a recipe that calls for only one of them. 

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #409 on: February 20, 2014, 01:08:41 PM »
MicroRN ... dregs of wine ... is that like "left over" wine???

As in ... you open a bottle and DON"T DRINK IT ALL???? lol...

;) just being a smarty pants 

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #410 on: February 20, 2014, 01:13:32 PM »
Thanks MrsPete- Your chicken sounds great! I wonder, have you ever tried it over chicken pieces in the crockpot? Sounds like it would be a really easy and tasty way to do it!
I haven't tried it in a crock pot.  Though there's no harm in trying it that way, I think this is probably a recipe that's best done in a frying pan.  The sauce begins as a liquid, then as you simmer it, the sauce thickens significantly.  If the liquid were trapped in the crock pot, I'm not sure you'd reach that nice, thick stage that you need. 

Anyway, with the sauce already prepared and ready to dump in, this is such a quick meal that I don't think I'd bother with the all-day cook.  You just need to brown the chicken, add the sauce, and simmer 15-20 minutes. 

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #411 on: February 20, 2014, 01:17:49 PM »
MrsPete - that sounds amazing.  I love doing quick freezer meals, especially since DH and I work weird hours.  It saves us from a lot of takeout and frozen pizza.  I'll have to make up a batch.   

For saving money on infrequently used food ingredients, I use ice cube trays, freeze it, and then vacuum seal in a ziploc bag, the ones with a valve and little hand pump.  For ginger, I buy a ton, then grate it through my food processor.  You can do the same trick with fresh herbs with a tiny bit of water.  It's also great to freeze dregs of wine for later cooking, the extra chipotle peppers from a can, or anything else that you may only use small amounts of.  Oh, and if the coffee in the pot gets cold, freeze the remains and use in iced coffee or pour Baileys over it.  You can even freeze egg whites or yolks, if you have a recipe that calls for only one of them.
I freeze things that way too!  I use many of your examples -- except, I don't drink coffee. 

Here's one of my favorites:  I have a silicon "cupcake" pan that makes flower-shaped "cupcakes" that are exactly 1/4 cup.  When I have buttermilk -- and who EVER uses 1/2 a gallon of expensive buttermilk before it goes bad? -- I freeze it in these containers, then store the buttermilk-flowers in a ziplock.  If I'm making cornbread, I set out one flower to melt in a mixing bowl, whereas if I'm going to dredge chicken in buttermilk then flour, I set out two.  It's already measured for me!  And the flower shape makes me happy. 

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #412 on: February 20, 2014, 01:32:16 PM »
I was going to go to the post office to mail two large envelopes but since the post office is 17 miles round trip, i'll go by while i'm at work tomorrow.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #413 on: February 20, 2014, 01:41:19 PM »
Good choice, Fireman!

I went to a doctor's appointment via a very pleasant bicycle ride on our recently reopened bike bath next to the river.  I particularly gnarly section (that had been literally uprooted by...you guessed it, tree roots) was repaired, and this was the first time I ventured out on it since the repair.  So nice!  Then I came back home and went back out to do some errands (tax man, grocery store, pharmacy, and bank)--also on bicycle.  I spied a penny while I was biking, and was tempted to stop and get it, but the road was a busy 35 mph one, so I declined.

When I got to my bank, and was locking up my bike right outside the front door, I saw a guy pull his behemoth SUV into a parking space and then reach for coins in his pocket to fill the parking meter.  Too bad for him.  I was getting nice fresh air and exercise, not to mention a great parking spot--for free!!

nicknageli

« Reply #414 on: February 20, 2014, 01:55:38 PM »
When I got to my bank, and was locking up my bike right outside the front door, I saw a guy pull his behemoth SUV into a parking space and then reach for coins in his pocket to fill the parking meter.  Too bad for him.  I was getting nice fresh air and exercise, not to mention a great parking spot--for free!!

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #415 on: February 20, 2014, 02:17:24 PM »
you can totally freeze fresh ginger and then when you need to use it, just pull it out and grate it frozen.
Thank you!  I always struggle with what to do with the unused ginger because I don't use it regularly.  Do you put it in a freezer bag?  Wrap it in paper?

yep, just put it naked in a freezer bag.

oooh, I do lots of these but I never thought of the buttermilk or egg whites/yolks!! thanks!

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #416 on: February 20, 2014, 02:18:07 PM »
I had planned to make a recipe tonight that requires ground beef, but just realized we're out. Rather than take a mid-week trip to the store, I'll just substitute chicken and chop it small. It'll be fine.

I'm also stoically suffering through the epic whining of small children who have licked clean the strawberry jam jar. Eat the blackberry jam or starve, minions!

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #417 on: February 20, 2014, 02:43:14 PM »
I had planned to make a recipe tonight that requires ground beef, but just realized we're out. Rather than take a mid-week trip to the store, I'll just substitute chicken and chop it small. It'll be fine.

We often substitute ground chicken (and sometimes turkey though not lately) for ground beef in recipes.  The favorite around here is homemade ground chicken tacos!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #418 on: February 20, 2014, 02:50:15 PM »

Eat the blackberry jam or starve, minions!

I'm picturing you yelling this at two small children hiding in the corner.  :D  I snorted.   

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #419 on: February 20, 2014, 02:56:18 PM »

Eat the blackberry jam or starve, minions!

I'm picturing you yelling this at two small children hiding in the corner.  :D  I snorted.

That's pretty close to how it actually went down. There was much gesticulating.

Chris86

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #420 on: February 20, 2014, 04:29:49 PM »
I purchased a townhouse that has an HOA to include insurance - I checked to see if it would be cheaper to switch my auto insurance under the same carrier that the HOA uses - win! I was able to get auto liability insurance for about $15/mo cheaper than my current insurer.

About $180 worth of savings per year for a few minutes of work :)

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #421 on: February 20, 2014, 08:56:57 PM »
I'm also stoically suffering through the epic whining of small children who have licked clean the strawberry jam jar. Eat the blackberry jam or starve, minions!

First world problems...  Overheard in the Root of Good house not long ago:  "But I don't like apricot or blackberry or strawberry jelly, I only like grape!".  Our poor mistreated malnourished children. 

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #422 on: February 20, 2014, 09:03:01 PM »
Here's one of my favorites:  I have a silicon "cupcake" pan that makes flower-shaped "cupcakes" that are exactly 1/4 cup.  When I have buttermilk -- and who EVER uses 1/2 a gallon of expensive buttermilk before it goes bad? -- I freeze it in these containers, then store the buttermilk-flowers in a ziplock.  If I'm making cornbread, I set out one flower to melt in a mixing bowl, whereas if I'm going to dredge chicken in buttermilk then flour, I set out two.  It's already measured for me!  And the flower shape makes me happy.

Thanks for the buttermilk idea.  I always end up substituting regular milk plus a little vinegar for curdling and it's not the same.  I don't want to buy a half gallon of buttermilk and use only a cup or so.  I have the silicon cupcake pan, too, although mine are 1/2 I think.  I even freeze things like beans, ham, and shredded pork or chicken taco meat in there.  Perfect if you just want 1-2 pucks for taco/burrito filling or beans for a side dish.  The ham is great to drop into soups or if I'm cooking beans in the crock pot.

For the bourbon chicken, I don't know if you already do this.  I dice up chicken or some pork loins and bag in ~0.5-1 lb individual sandwich bags and freeze for later quick use in something like bourbon chicken or stir fry or a curry dish.  The chicken thaws out really easily if you spread it flat inside the bag before freezing. 

Dice some veggies and thaw the chicken while you are dicing, and boom, (almost) instant stir fry or curry. 

DaKini

• Bristles
« Reply #423 on: February 21, 2014, 05:09:34 AM »
I ate porrdige for lunch today. We have a kitchen here at the office, so my sole cost were the rolled oats (0.39€ here per 500 gramm)
Since i once made (comparatively cheap) holidays in scotland, i like porrdige. Its made quick as hell, is  cheap as hell, and also healthy (not quite as hell).

- put 6 table spoons of rolled oats into a pot
- added 2 cups of water
- cooket this bubbly for 1 minute
- let it settle 1-2 additional minutes
- serve, add a little sugar and eat happily, contempating about the huge savings just made.

Total costs per meal are roughly around 0.08€ this way. I was not aware of this "free lunch" until this lunch break. I used to think there is no free lunch, however with the labor of a little over 1.5 hours i can afford lunch for an entire working year if i ate this way every lunch. wow.
I now have to celebrate this new insight with a cup of coffe for ~0.07 € :)

jhartt3

« Reply #424 on: February 21, 2014, 05:53:16 AM »
turned off my power hungry pc/server unplugged a wii we never use and should probably just get rid of.  unplugged my supplementary monitor to my main monitor my TV. 

Anyone know how much those plug in things eat up.  my wife has them plugged in everywhere.  i assume we can save a kwh a day without them maybe more????

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #425 on: February 21, 2014, 09:19:14 AM »
I ate porrdige for lunch today. We have a kitchen here at the office, so my sole cost were the rolled oats (0.39€ here per 500 gramm)
Since i once made (comparatively cheap) holidays in scotland, i like porrdige. Its made quick as hell, is  cheap as hell, and also healthy (not quite as hell).

Fellow oatmeal eater here. It tastes good too.

Ever notice how that stuff sets like mortar? I have to soak the oatmeal bowl longer than any other dish.

I wonder if there's a market for oatmeal glue...

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #426 on: February 21, 2014, 10:10:24 AM »

Ever notice how that stuff sets like mortar? I have to soak the oatmeal bowl longer than any other dish.

YES!  Its actually the reason I won't eat it for breakfast at work (I eat breakfast at work when I eat it, not before).  We have no kitchen, no sink, nothing :(  So the bowl is a block of cement I have to bring home and soak forever.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #427 on: February 21, 2014, 10:56:58 AM »
Tired. 
Hangry. 
Used a gift card at Starbucks today (from work/several months old) for a hot chocolate. 
Happy Friday!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #428 on: February 21, 2014, 01:55:23 PM »

YES!  Its actually the reason I won't eat it for breakfast at work (I eat breakfast at work when I eat it, not before).  We have no kitchen, no sink, nothing :(  So the bowl is a block of cement I have to bring home and soak forever.

Whenever you soak, do it in cold water, not hot, for oats. It'll come right off in five minutes, ten if you put peanut butter in your oatmeal.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #429 on: February 21, 2014, 02:21:31 PM »

Whenever you soak, do it in cold water, not hot, for oats. It'll come right off in five minutes, ten if you put peanut butter in your oatmeal.

Serious?  Why?

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #430 on: February 21, 2014, 04:23:22 PM »

Serious?  Why?

Serious, but I have no clue why. One of those things my grandmother taught me. She probably had no clue why either, but I'm sure she learned from experience because for most of her life, she had to heat water on a woodstove if she wanted hot water.

I've seen it work, though, many times, and hot does not work as well. I stick my oatmeal bowl in the sink in the break room ato work, cold water in it, go to the restroom, and it's ready to wash out when I'm done (except for peanut butter lumps, if I used any PB). I do add a drop of dish soap with the water if it's handy, but it still works without.

Editing to add that I'm ashamed to say I often don't wash my oatmeal bowl until the next morning, so time isn't a real issue.

Editing again to add that I use plain rolled oats, and quick oats might take a bit longer to soak -- they seem to be more glutinous/slimy.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 04:28:37 PM by Rural »

Drew

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #431 on: February 21, 2014, 04:28:36 PM »
Changed my cable/internet plan and dropped the landline to save about $60 a month.

Found out my credit card rewards went from 1% to 1.5%.  Ordered a card for my wife so we can start using it more (the balance gets paid in full every month).

DaKini

• Bristles
« Reply #432 on: February 22, 2014, 05:30:59 AM »
I soak the bowl while i eat and never had problems wiping it out with a sponge. Soaking time is about 20 minutes i guess.

Mortgage Free Mike

• Stubble
    • Save on Almost Everything
« Reply #433 on: February 22, 2014, 09:40:33 AM »
I won two $10 gift cards in auctions using points on my Citi Simplicity card. One is for IHOP. The other is for Walmart. It didn't take much time or effort and I still have more points left for other auctions.

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #434 on: February 22, 2014, 11:52:54 AM »
Batch cooking this morning so we have food all week:

Used up green beans that waited too long for a salad in a green bean goat stew instead

Roasted butternut squash curry soup

Spinach zucchini frittata bake (the zucchini were about to go bad too)

Also, using our dryer rack outside for clothes and woolens

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #435 on: February 22, 2014, 12:25:49 PM »
I fixed my computer by watching youtube videos, instead of paying someone else.

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #436 on: February 22, 2014, 01:02:30 PM »
I took a slipper to the cobbler, the sole was coming apart and my toes could peek through. They are LL Bean sheepskin slippers from 20 years ago, a new pair costs about $80, so I feel good about having them repaired.

serhomeslice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FI or die...
« Reply #437 on: February 22, 2014, 02:05:25 PM »
I cut my sons hair and my wife cut my hair and we made pad Thai at home and headed to the library where they lend you books for free!!  Word up!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #438 on: February 22, 2014, 04:46:02 PM »
Friend wanted to go out for brunch, I've invited her around instead as the ingredients to cook an awesome big brekkie for both of us will be far cheaper than going to a cafe. Plus this way we can sit around and gossip without anyone clearing the table and trying to move us along.

Putting together a thai red curry, full of veges, in the slow cooker so that I have lunches all week.

BF says he's bought a long awaited game on steam instead of buying a physical copy, saving him at least $20.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #439 on: February 22, 2014, 05:17:35 PM »
In about an hour and a half, I will be moving to a city an hour away with the assistance of a friend-with-a-car (those are valuable at times). I'm still unshowered, in my pajamas, and surrounded by boxes that have yet to be finalized and taped up. Moving myself is a major pain in the ass.

But paying a moving company to move my things for me (they'll even pack your stuff here!) would have cost at least $200 more than the ~$50 gas-and-hassle money I'm giving my friend. I don't have any furniture, so it's just a bunch of boxes, suitcases, and a cat.

Still, though. Major pain in the ass.

Also ate a 3-egg spinach omelette to give me energy for the beginning of my day, although I do think my friend expects me to buy us lunch after the move. Fair enough.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #440 on: February 22, 2014, 05:56:32 PM »
Got on the interwebz and found a copycat recipe for Kind bars and whipped up a batch of chocolate/almond/coconut with ingredients I had on hand instead of forking out $1.59 apiece for them

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #441 on: February 23, 2014, 11:10:22 AM »
Today i used my 412$ of rewards points from Sam's club and bought a ton of Bulk stuff. Laundry soap, diswashing soap...u get the idea. Felt like X-mas and reduces my weekly grocery bill by about 8$ a week. I do 50/50 shopping between Sam's and Aldi's so with a family of 6 it was like winning the lottery. Doing my happy dance!

reginna

• Stubble
« Reply #442 on: February 23, 2014, 12:06:06 PM »
I purchased a townhouse that has an HOA to include insurance - I checked to see if it would be cheaper to switch my auto insurance under the same carrier that the HOA uses - win! I was able to get auto liability insurance for about $15/mo cheaper than my current insurer.

About $180 worth of savings per year for a few minutes of work :)

Brilliant Chris! I would never have thought of that.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #443 on: February 23, 2014, 12:15:04 PM »
I have brunch with my relatives once per week. They prefer eating out.  I invited them to have my homemade Cincinnati Chili.

Sure, we saved a few bucks, but honestly, the best parts of eating a meal at home with people you love is not having to rush and having a place for the children to run and play while the adults sink into a food coma.

RadicalPersonalFinance

• Stubble
    • Radical Personal Finance
« Reply #444 on: February 23, 2014, 01:57:25 PM »
We're snacking on citrus all weekend after finding it on the roadside for free.  A semi-trailer loaded with Ruby Red grapefruit overturned on the highway and half of the load was left in the ditch to rot.  8 cloth shopping bags-full later, we're getting tired of grapefruit! :)

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #445 on: February 23, 2014, 03:28:08 PM »
I whipped up a batch of homemade laundry detergent.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #446 on: February 23, 2014, 03:35:48 PM »
Took passport pictures ourselves at home.  We used a white sheet for a background and some simple online tools to crop to the right dimensions.  Then formatted and uploaded to Walgreens.  3 sets of passport photos shipped to my door for $1.40 instead of $35-40 at walmart or somewhere else inexpensive. 

I could have walked to walgreens for free pickup (1.5 mile round trip) but skipped that in favor of paying an extra $0.80 for delivery. 

Now to figure out a way to save on the $535 passport fees for our family of 5...  :(

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #447 on: February 23, 2014, 04:00:02 PM »
Got the weekly grocery shopping done for $35.  Spent a couple hours this afternoon working on the landscaping project.  We'll eventually hire someone to finish it for us, but I figure ever little bit I can do myself will save a few bucks.

JuSp02

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #448 on: February 23, 2014, 11:19:54 PM »
Three days ago, I started sprouting a bunch of mung beans. Today, I made "chicken" stock with a leftover cornish hen and leftover broth. Then, I made a large pot of soup with the sprouts, pinto beans, rice, and macaroni. I now have lunch for the entire week.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #449 on: February 24, 2014, 02:07:04 AM »
This morning my eldest was sitting around in her nightgown, complaining about the cold, and had just turned the heaters on.  I suggested that maybe she'd be warmer with clothes on, and turned the heaters back off.  (Weather was forecast to be beautiful, and I wasn't going to spend money doing what the sun was going to do for free in just a couple of hours).

Returned books to library that were starting to accrue fines.

Cut out material to make a library bag for daughter's birthday gift later this week.