Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8029968 times)

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #10100 on: November 27, 2017, 02:05:25 PM »
I've been deleting all the Black Friday/Small Business Saturday/Cyber Monday emails that have been flooding my inbox without opening them. I'm sure some of them would save me money on things that I may end up buying eventually, but I'll save more money by not buying things I don't need. :-)

I've cut my caffeine intake way back, largely by drinking half-caff coffee. Mixing the unremarkable $2.99/can decaf grounds from Aldi with nicer coffee still makes a pretty decent tasting cup of coffee and cuts the cost per cup as well.

Made a freezer inventory and meal planned for the next two weeks with an eye towards eating it down.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #10101 on: November 27, 2017, 05:37:42 PM »
Same as usual:
-Ate free breakfast, lunch & snacks at work
-Charged our electric car for free at work
-Serving leftovers for dinner (turkey enchiladas, made from leftover Thanksgiving turkey, of course!)

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #10102 on: November 27, 2017, 09:44:17 PM »
- I only left the house to go to class. Packed my lunch, coffee and water to enjoy on campus between classes.

- Served a dinner of turkey noodle soup (made from the turkey carcass) and homemade rolls. I had leftover veggie loaf and butternut squash since I don't do meat :)

- Was seriously tempted to go out for coffee tonight, just to get out of the house. Put on my PJs, fired up my favorite (free) Spotify playlist, made some tea, and did some much needed studying instead.

- Remembered to rinse the sprouting seeds and to start soaking some chickpeas to roast. These are two of my favorite thrifty winter salad toppings!

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #10103 on: November 27, 2017, 11:34:04 PM »
Canceled the sports channel/package now that the Canadian football season is over. This saves around $10 per month.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #10104 on: November 28, 2017, 06:04:19 AM »
Canceled the sports channel/package now that the Canadian football season is over.

Based on the Grey Cup highlights I saw, you got a pretty good final game out of it.

Next year, CFL streams reddit!

Mrs Hen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10105 on: November 28, 2017, 11:50:47 AM »
Reloaded gift cards for stores I use regularly using a workplace scheme which gives discounts.  £100 credit costs me £96.  Will try to remember to do this in the future.

Hung the washing on the airer to dry.  I'm not sure I should count this, as I don't own a drier!

Made stewed apples with sultanas and cinnamon last night, and had them on my porridge this morning.  Yummy!!!!!

Took lunch and dinner to work.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10106 on: November 28, 2017, 08:43:02 PM »
Today's main accomplishment: I made the best burritos I have ever made, and it was an accident!

There were three slices of veggie loaf leftover from Thanksgiving. It's mainly made of beans, chickpeas, and tofu, so I mashed it up with some leftover rice I puller from the freezer. Added a Hatch green chili, handful of cheese, and some Mexican spices. So delicious!

I can now mix up the veggie loaf ingredients (no need to bake it as a loaf) but season it for burritos, then freeze it in meal size portions for a very quick dinner. Love having easy freezer ideas!

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #10107 on: November 28, 2017, 10:40:38 PM »
- Carpooled to work today
- Made a batch of kombucha

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #10108 on: November 29, 2017, 05:27:17 AM »
In the last couple of days;
sold my barely used weight vest for $25. Didn't pay much more than that for it a few years ago. Was just taking up space.
Sold my 24kg iron kettlebell for $50. I think I paid $60 three years ago. I can't use it in my unit as I'm worried about the tile floors. I'll eventually get a rubber coated one but can work on other things for now (like, in the gym at work).

Got a store credit refund for a shower curtain rail at the hardwear store. $52.18. I worked out I can hang the curtain from ceiling hooks instead and it will be a better conformity to my odd shaped ceiling. Using this shower curtain (its not 100% neccessary) will only save a little water going on the floor, but will make a bigger difference in how much hot water I use through the mixer tap year round (as I'll feel warmer in the smaller space), and also reduce the amount I need to use the exhaust fan (which is right above the shower). Worth it long term.

Put a couple more small items on gumtree (Aus craigslist).

Got a free couch! It will do for a couple of years. Stopped me from spending $600 on the ideal Ikea couch I wanted, for now.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #10109 on: November 29, 2017, 07:36:06 AM »
I feel like I'm on repeat, but here goes:
-Got a free book off of the "free" table at work. Will use for international flight next week
-Ate free breakfast, lunch & snacks at work yesterday
-Charged my laptop at work vs at home
-Made dinner out of leftovers
-Arranged for a carpool on Friday for the middle school dance for my son. Gas/time savings is great, but mostly because I'm usually almost asleep by the time it ends. I'm an early bird :-)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10110 on: November 29, 2017, 07:47:01 AM »
DH walks home from work, and I usually meet him halfway. If I've been out running errands, I will drove up the hill to get him. Yesterday, I was about 12 minutes too early to pick him up, so I stopped at the new Goodwill near our home. I found a lovely dress coat. It was not his size, but it looked right. I put it back on the rack, and picked him up from work. He agreed to go right back to GW with me to try it on. It fit perfectly, so $12.99 got us a beautifully made wool dress coat for him that looks brand new. It's gonna look great with his (thrifted) tuxedo. Score!

Note - This new GW is much more expensive than other local thrifts, so I don't go there often. Lucky timimg!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 09:26:29 PM by Dicey »

MoneyMouse

• Stubble
« Reply #10111 on: November 29, 2017, 08:42:32 AM »
This was yesterday, but I had a few impromptu meetings with my dad. We shared a coffee (which we got 50% off with a coupon) and after work we shared a drink special and a single little appetizer.

It was fun. It felt more special than if we'd gotten one of our own, each, and we saved money and calories. Our waitress kept asking if we wanted anything more - it was quite cute.

Mrs Hen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10112 on: November 29, 2017, 01:25:09 PM »
Spent nothing.

Unplugged the clock/radio in the guest bedroom.

Took breakfast and lunch to work.  This is becoming a habit now.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #10113 on: November 29, 2017, 03:47:16 PM »
Booked a flight to Austria to see friends. However, my mom's desperate to find me a present for the holidays, so she offered to give me the flight as a present (it's a dirt cheap flight) :D

It's a pity it won't be a surprise present, but I told her explicitly I didn't want any stuff as I don't need anything, so I'm glad she wanted to do it like this.

The BEST kind of gift! Well done.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10114 on: November 29, 2017, 09:22:37 PM »
Trying to stay motivated!

-Assembled dinner from the pantry. Chucked a packet of dry spaghetti, half a block of cream cheese I found in the freezer, and some home canned tomato sauce from this summer together with a few veg to create an amazing creamy tomato pasta for dinner. One more day of avoiding the grocery store!

-Made a fresh batch of ginger ale and oat milk. Also started more sprouts so we have an ongoing supply of tender greens for salads.

-Asked my professor where I could order some supplies my kid needs for a science project. Prof "donated" them from his lab so no need for us to order them. (Minor things, like nutrient agar mix, not expensive lab equipment!)

-Spousal unit needed some toiletries. We walked the mile to the store instead of driving. Bought only the two items we went in for. We did stop for coffee and conversation at Starbucks, but we brought our own cups for the discount and only got the smallest (eg: least expensive) drip. It's been over two weeks since we were in a coffee shop, which has to be a new record for us!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10115 on: November 29, 2017, 11:00:17 PM »
*Trying to hold out for Christmas gift cards for Starbucks by buying myself some nice Stash Christmas tea that was on sale

*Made a loaf of refrigerator bread

*Made a roast in one crock pot and baked potatoes in another for dinner since I knew it would be a busy day

*Ordered my groceries online - this is turning out to be cheaper, for the most part, although the store that offers delivery is a little more expensive.

*Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals were found for things I was getting the kids for Christmas

*Dusted off our juicer and made some delicious green juice with apples, oranges, kale, spinach, arugula, turmeric and ginger. Soooooo good.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #10116 on: November 30, 2017, 06:24:24 AM »
Not today technically, but next week:
Childcare sent an e-mail telling parents that next Friday "Santa" will come to the crèche, so please prepare a present that he will deliver to your child. Now, my child is 1. She doesn't know what's happening, and she won't remember it. So I'll wrap one of the toys she already likes in paper from a present I received, and that will make the deal.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #10117 on: November 30, 2017, 07:20:26 AM »
-Sent a rebate for $100 for our new pool pump. The new pool pump was purchased to cut down on our hugely expensive electrical bills. The pump is from the previous owners, and is really old. Technology has made a lot of improvements, which will cut down on the costs. The pump was expensive, but will pay for itself in reduced energy costs in about a year. So, the $100 rebate is a nice upfront reduction in cost from our energy company.
-Ate breakfast, lunch & snacks at work, for free
-Planned leftovers for dinner, but ended up staying late at work, so my husband threw together different options. Should have done a better job of communicating the plan. That said we didn't eat out. We all sort of had different dinners, but no eating out happened, at least.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10118 on: November 30, 2017, 07:28:07 AM »
I changed by cell phone subscription to one that costs 1/4 less and has half the data. Since I had the previous subscription I have never used up the whole 1 GB data per month. And I transfer the leftover from last month to the next. So from today I have only 0,5 GB per month, plus leftover from last month. DH just changed to a subscription that has 5 GB so I can occasionally use his data when we are away from home.

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #10119 on: November 30, 2017, 08:31:42 AM »
Childcare sent an e-mail telling parents that next Friday "Santa" will come to the crèche, so please prepare a present that he will deliver to your child. Now, my child is 1. She doesn't know what's happening, and she won't remember it. So I'll wrap one of the toys she already likes in paper from a present I received, and that will make the deal.

I love this so much!

Mrs Hen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10120 on: November 30, 2017, 01:50:41 PM »
Felt really tired this evening after three morning shifts, and wanted to get a takeaway so badly.  Had a stern word with myself about the food I had bought already, dragged myself into the kitchen, and really enjoyed my Sausages and mash for dinner.

Spent nothing.

Noticed dividends had built up in my ISA (UK tax free investing account). Bought more funds in time to get a bigger dividend in January.  Snowball is starting to move a little.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10121 on: November 30, 2017, 02:56:30 PM »
Had leftovers from the freezer for dinner.
Am going to make my s/o a birthday cake tomorrow, bought ingredients from Aldi. Noticed that our Aldi has extended their opening times and will now also be open during evenings and on Sunday. This allows us to go to Aldi much more often!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10122 on: November 30, 2017, 07:37:06 PM »
I love this so much!
Me, too. ♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡ I loves me some practical practicality. ♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10123 on: November 30, 2017, 08:04:25 PM »
Had a really stressful day at work (after 2 straight weeks of stress), convinced myself I was going to hit the coffee cart at lunch because I COULDN'T TAKE IT ONE MORE MINUTE.

Talked myself down from the ledge, and used that work angst to imagine saving $4 extra towards my retirement as the ultimate "HAHA I hate you, job!" . Survived the last 3 hours and went home to make my latte.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #10124 on: November 30, 2017, 08:07:54 PM »
Unusually, failed to make a plan for dinner. Husband assumed we had enough leftovers (he didn’t realize I’d taken half of them for lunch). I was ready to stop for a grocery store pizza on the way home (truly not a bad option), but he cooked some rice, thawed some cooked black beans, and we had really tasty rice and bean bowls!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #10125 on: December 01, 2017, 08:35:44 AM »
Pretty standard:
-Ate free breakfast, lunch & snacks at work
-Charged my car for free at work
-Unexpectedly had a couple of kid free hours with my husband. Pondered going out. Instead, made cocktails at home, had some laughs, and ate leftovers by candlelight
-Found two more things to list on eBay

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10126 on: December 01, 2017, 11:04:39 AM »
I made a packed lunch for myself for the first time in awhile. I've got to pack a bit more or something with more protein next time; I was a little lightheaded by the end of the day and used 30 minutes leave to go home early and eat. I just need a little more practice. New Year's resolution is to pack lunch daily in 2018.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #10127 on: December 01, 2017, 11:16:42 AM »
I made a packed lunch for myself for the first time in awhile. I've got to pack a bit more or something with more protein next time; I was a little lightheaded by the end of the day and used 30 minutes leave to go home early and eat. I just need a little more practice. New Year's resolution is to pack lunch daily in 2018.

In the meantime, I am using trail mix to get me through the transition.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10128 on: December 01, 2017, 12:05:26 PM »

In the meantime, I am using trail mix to get me through the transition.

That's a good idea. I have a bag of trail mix, so I should at least take it to work.

GardenBaker

• Stubble
« Reply #10129 on: December 01, 2017, 12:12:22 PM »
I found a recipe online for this pasta dish I really wanted for dinner tonight. The original recipe would've required me to go buy 3 items at the grocery store. I've decided I'm going to improvise with what I have in the fridge and pantry and hope it works out. The items I needed were going to cost at least $10; so that's $10 saved today on top of what I saved from eating breakfast at home and bringing a sack lunch to work.

ManlyFather

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Manly Father
« Reply #10130 on: December 01, 2017, 12:21:35 PM »
Had a really stressful day at work (after 2 straight weeks of stress), convinced myself I was going to hit the coffee cart at lunch because I COULDN'T TAKE IT ONE MORE MINUTE.

Talked myself down from the ledge, and used that work angst to imagine saving $4 extra towards my retirement as the ultimate "HAHA I hate you, job!" . Survived the last 3 hours and went home to make my latte.

This brightened my afternoon quite a bit, thanks for sharing!

Mrs Hen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10131 on: December 01, 2017, 03:06:59 PM »
Today I walked to the doctors rather than take the car.

The last payment for my car went out of my account, and cancelled the direct debit straight away (bought the car on interest free finance before I'd discovered MMM.  No plans to replace it any time soon!). £211 per month extra to go into savings - hurrah!!!!

Filled up the car, but otherwise, no spending.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #10132 on: December 01, 2017, 04:48:46 PM »
-Ate breakfast & lunch out of the freezer stash today
-Avoided going shopping for an outfit for a work event. I leave tomorrow & don't feel great about any of the options. I'm presenting an award during a televised event. Everything I have is "okay", but not great. In reality, I don't feel great because of my weight, so a new outfit isn't going to help that. Gave myself a pep talk & worked out instead of blowing a bunch of money on a one time use outfit.
-Dug up $25 (USD equivalent) of money leftover from other business trips. Had no idea I had that much. Will spend this & get reimbursed from work.
-Paid off our car. We took out a loan in order to secure the best price, and were required to keep the financing for 90 days. All done & paid off!
-Making tacos for dinner, using prepared taco meat (freezer).

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #10133 on: December 01, 2017, 04:52:47 PM »
Should have added that there was work involved in this one. I'm going to both Japan & Korea, and can't visually distinguish the coin currency without investigation. So, spent about 10-15 minutes looking up pictures of each, and separated/sorted for the trip.

-Dug up $25 (USD equivalent) of money leftover from other business trips. Had no idea I had that much. Will spend this & get reimbursed from work.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10134 on: December 01, 2017, 06:54:35 PM »
Two good days :)

-Yesterday was a no spend day. Only left the house to go to class, stayed in and watched a library movie with the family. Also, continued to put off grocery shopping. Made a french toast bake with the bread ends I stash in the freezer. Served it with apples we have stored that we picked back in September.

Today:
- I discovered that in my state contacts prescriptions are good for three years, not two, and that mine doesn't expire for another two months. Stacked a free shipping promo, first time customer promo, and student discount to get four boxes - a 1 year supply - for $70 instead of $100. (My scrip hasn't changed in 15 years and I notice no eyesight changes, so not concerned.) This will let me stretch it to 4 years so I also save on the exam fee.

- Took younger son out for a mom date. Used a $6.99 coupon for a foot long meal at his favorite treat place, Subway. We split the sub, he had the chips and drink, I enjoyed free water. ;) Cheap bonding time is well worth the cost!

- Managed to put off groceries one more day, again! Potato and cabbage hash, with some pesto zucchini noodles on the side. The zuke was noodled and dehydrated from our garden this last summer. I don't think I can put off the grocery shop any longer, though!

-Thanks to something I read on this forum, I installed the pretirement app on my phone. Very motivating!

-Another night in watching a library movie. I also stacked all the library goodies by the door and clipped my keys to the handle of the library bag so I don't forget to grab it and return it tomorrow while I am out, thus avoiding late fees!

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #10135 on: December 01, 2017, 11:39:02 PM »
Put an old phone with a dodgy screen up on ebay. I should get at least $50 for it.

As its cool weather today I have all my windows and doors open, cooling down the thermal mass of my house and the floor as much as possible before it gets hot again. This will reduce the amount i need to use the airconditioner as much as possible.

Continued working in the garden on removing a Bougenvillia. I think I've managed to cut off all the branches from the stump now, the top which is over our powerline is dyeing. Once I get this all out, I can start the spot as a veggie patch, the spot gets the most sun. This will help me save $$$ for years to come.

Discovered behind the other four units that the tree there, which is covered in rampant Ivy at its base, is in fact a Mulberry, and is producing tons of fruit! This will probably save me at least $15 a year in nice fruit at this time of year. I'll get to work on removing the Ivy from it soon so that it can continue to prosper.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #10136 on: December 02, 2017, 12:58:33 PM »
I just finished making 3 quarts of Kim Chi and one quart each of green fermented Tabasco and green fermented habanero hot sauce.  I already made a pint each of red cayenne hot sauce and chocolate habanero hot sauce, so shouldn't need to buy any this year (we are hot sauce junkies). 

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10137 on: December 02, 2017, 01:41:24 PM »
- We're going away for a few days next week and I'm trying to empty the fridge so we can unplug it while we're gone. I made a cheese sauce and threw in a few scraps of cheese I had lying around. Tomorrow I will make egg salad to use up all the eggs and smoothies to use up yoghurt, bananas and berries.
- Went somewhere where we got free cans of soda. Didn't drink them there but took them home.
- Girl at the grocery store made a mistake while ringing up my purchases. Went to the customer service desk and got €3,50 back.
- All health care products were buy 1, get 1 free. Plasters and vitamin D were on my shopping list and I only buy them once a year anyway. I won't have to buy them for a long time now.

Mrs Hen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10138 on: December 02, 2017, 02:22:22 PM »
Resisted the Fish and Chip run at work, and enjoyed the dinner I'd brought in with me.

No Spend Day.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #10139 on: December 02, 2017, 05:06:15 PM »
Was gonna toss some leftover Pork Chops and Brown Rice and instead turned it into pork fried rice. Turned out delicious. Pleasant surprise as the family loved it better than the dinner the night I made the Pork chops!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10140 on: December 02, 2017, 05:36:52 PM »
Went to a bake sale / lunch event and managed not to buy anything, just did my volunteer shift.   The baking did look good, though!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10141 on: December 03, 2017, 02:34:34 AM »
This weekend: cut my hair, Netflix and running for free entertainment, cleaned jars for re-use, dug out some saved gift bags for Christmas, and started writing Christmas cards using the boxes I bought on sale in January.

I don't think I will buy any cards after this Christmas. I'm not feeling it as much this year-  writing them out of obligation (and sunk cost) rather than anything - so I'll play it by ear after this.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10142 on: December 03, 2017, 02:57:27 AM »
Got up early (on a Sunday!) and baked a banana-berry bread and made egg salad for breakfast, all from ingredients I want to use up before we are away for a week.
Found a fried rice-ish dish in the freezer which we are going to eat tonight.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10143 on: December 03, 2017, 06:04:50 AM »
Went home after church to eat leftovers instead of going to brunch. Usually that's a treat I allow for, but today it would have been rushed in any case.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10144 on: December 03, 2017, 01:39:17 PM »
Filled up the diesel tank of the big car. We are going on a long drive next weekend en the fuel will probably become more expensive later in the week. We haven't made this trip since September, while in other years we go there once a month. I guess that saved something...

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10145 on: December 03, 2017, 01:59:46 PM »
Took the kids to a free museum as entertainment.  Ate lunch at home and packed snacks/water.  Am now making bean soup in the pressure cooker to eat this week for lunch.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #10146 on: December 03, 2017, 03:33:51 PM »
-- Made pumpkin soup for dinner with three pumpkins a friend gave us
-- Did the weekly grocery shopping and stuck exactly to the list, no extras or impulse buys

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #10147 on: December 03, 2017, 04:39:54 PM »
-Used Uber credits (purchase yielded grocery store reward) to take transportation to airport for work trip. Will get reimbursed.
-Made lunch, snacks & water for the boys to take to a soccer tournament. Got up at the crack of dawn to get this sorted before my flight.
-Spending $0 on myself, as I'm out of the country on a work trip.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10148 on: December 03, 2017, 06:03:37 PM »
Didn't go grocery shopping today. I still have a lot of food in the fridge and it's probably a good idea to downsize the pantry and freezera bit. I just found out I need tires for my car so I'm going to try to make it a lean couple of months budget-wise.

ChipmunkSavings

• Stubble
« Reply #10149 on: December 03, 2017, 07:49:59 PM »
I went to the Apple store. I have an old Macbook from 2009 that was no longer working (did not support current iOs). Was looking to update current replacement laptop (hand-me-down Asus) with a newer version. Turns out they can do a full factory setting reset on the computer and put it as good as new. The 8-years-old computer is now as fast as any other on the market, and I was surprised that they did it for free!