Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8029752 times)

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #9100 on: June 15, 2017, 09:19:52 AM »
Understood. It reminded me of the German folk remedy for coughs, which translates as "onion sugar syrup".

It does not just translate like this it is just that. Chopped Onion and honey. Let it sit and stir often. Really good for coughs.

My DW feeds me this when I have a cough.  It really works!

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #9101 on: June 15, 2017, 11:01:20 AM »
Understood. It reminded me of the German folk remedy for coughs, which translates as "onion sugar syrup".

It does not just translate like this it is just that. Chopped Onion and honey. Let it sit and stir often. Really good for coughs.

My DW feeds me this when I have a cough.  It really works!

But how does it taste?  Do you chew the onions?  Or just "drink" the honey?

rdaneel0

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9102 on: June 15, 2017, 07:15:36 PM »
I didn't save, but I did minimize a loss. I bring my breakfast and lunch to work every day. Like, every single day for over a decade...longer if you count school years. Today I slept through my alarm, which never happens, and due to being out of sorts and in a rush I forgot both meals in my fridge! This literally never happens to me, a natural early riser and super organizer!

I live in a very HCOL area so leaving food at home is a big deal for me. At first I was so pissed at myself, I almost wanted to cry because I was thinking about how much my error would cost. Most people in my office spend, without any exaggeration because I overhear them talking about it: $3 for coffee (plus $1 tip), $5 for a breakfast sandwich, and then around $14 for lunch (this is a standard lunch special, nothing fancy) plus $2 deliver fee. Yep, that's $25 a day. Crazy, right?

Then I stopped feeling bad and gave myself a good facepunch. What would MMM do? I knew my coffee was covered because I get that free at work daily (yeah you read that right, we get free coffee and most people still buy coffee out). So my only problem was food. I looked up the closest grocery store and decided to walk there and buy a day's worth of food. I did fairly well considering prices in my work area:

Breakfast- 1 banana (79 cents) and 1 cottage cheese ($1.25)
Lunch- 1 frozen bean burrito ($2.50)

Still a ripoff compared to bringing delicious homemade food, but way better than it could have been.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9103 on: June 15, 2017, 11:14:32 PM »
rdaneel0 --- you did awesome!

I was feeling very weak today (teen troubles) and AAAALMOST stopped at McDonald's for burgers and fries for me and 4 kids ... but I kept on driving knowing I had fresh bread made at home and a nice ham that I bought the other day. Crisis averted!

Weak feelings continued through dinner but I pulled myself together and made a Thai chicken curry like I'd planned.  A hot bath for me and good chats with said teen have lowered the angst scale quite a bit this evening.

Alf91

• Stubble
« Reply #9104 on: June 16, 2017, 05:54:53 PM »
Bought only what I needed at the store - bread (on sale) and milk.

Waited til I got home and had dinner instead of buying a snack at work this afternoon.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9105 on: June 16, 2017, 07:54:46 PM »
A day in the kitchen!

3 meatloaves for dinner
A triple batch of macaroni salad
A cottage cheese salad
Fudge for an event we are attending tomorrow

Drank lots of tea to keep awake and motivated since my sleep was the pits last night.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9106 on: June 16, 2017, 10:06:16 PM »
1. Saved $40 a month for the rest of my life

I had eye surgery, with some minor complications and a bad reaction to a shot they gave me. So long story short, my eye pressure went really high and they put me on drops. Expensive eye drops, my part was $40 and no, I can't use any discount cards, damn.
During one of the many follow ups, my own eye doctor mentioned I might get lucky and things would normalize. Then I could stop taking the drops. (which tend to burn when you put them in)
Anyway - I reminded him of that and we tested it for two months. Yay - everything is within normal range again.

2. Found a savings account that pays $100 bonus, if you save $50 a month for two years.
 Touted as an emergency fund and turned out to be a cool credit union too.
Hell yeah - where do I sign up? I mean, Chase wants you to park $15K in their savings account to get a $200 bonus.

Small stuff - I know, but hey it all adds up.

3. Food savings thanks to the bounty of Mother Nature.
Just finished the last batch of tomato sauce and soup earlier this week, all made with tomatoes from the garden. Chopped up two big freezer bags worth of peppers - looks like there will be one more small harvest and the garden bounty is finished for our garden year here in Florida.

4. Free organic tea - harvesting lemon verbena for tea this weekend.

5. Got a $20 rebate for Mr. R. - on his glasses, better yet, I talked him out of transition lenses which saved money as well.

6. Resisted buying a ton of books at B&N, but picked up two finance books and used my discount card. Will get the other books I wanted used on Amazon instead. I still have a few bucks left on a gift card and there will be extra rewards points and if I buy them all at once I might get free shipping too. So it was the right decision, but oh boy, it is so hard for me to walk away from a book I really want.

7. Mr. R. discovered the joys of bogo beer sales ...:) - $7 x 4 = $ 28

Not bad for one week.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9107 on: June 16, 2017, 11:58:27 PM »
My car breakdown cover is becoming due. Every year, I do the following:

- Check their main competitor's website to see what deal they're offering for similar cover for new customers
- Look at a cashback website, to see what money I'd be able to get as cashback on this deal
- Phone up my provider, and tell them all about it, and ask them if they can give me a better renewal price.

This always works, every year. I just did it again, and managed to get my renewal premium reduced from £103 to £65! It helps that I've been with them a long time, and not actually called them out for years. Not a bad return, just for making one phone call.

Impressed! I must remember that for next year.

I did try something similar this year, but my existing provider just offered me a load of patronising babble about Gold Membership and valuing my loyalty instead of the discount I asked for, so I cancelled and am now paying £68 instead of £295 for comparable cover.

I might not even have noticed if they hadn't got a little too greedy and nudged my automatic renewal premium higher than my car insurance, triggering me to think, "That can't be right."

detailoriented

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9108 on: June 17, 2017, 05:12:23 AM »
Our family (DW+3) endured an extra 10 min driving in the car after a 6 hour drive to new York City to find a street parking spot that will be free for our whole weekend stay.  Saved ~$98.

Best part is that the spot is just outside the building we are stayingin so we can see it from the window of the apartment :)

DO

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #9109 on: June 17, 2017, 10:37:02 AM »
I received a $20 Amazon gift card from a work-related hotel stay.  I was going to use it to buy something practical, but not strictly necessary, but used it to purchase dog food instead.

Filled out $38 in mail-in rebates last night.

Returned a few items yesterday that ended up not being used on a small project I've been working on.

Alf91

• Stubble
« Reply #9110 on: June 17, 2017, 01:53:30 PM »
Stayed home lol.

Resisted the kid's pleas for pizza and made lunch from food we had at home.

t5inside

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9111 on: June 17, 2017, 06:36:59 PM »
Got my car ready to put up for sale. I recently got a used sports car (unmustachian, but as mustachian as possible...), so my tradeoff was to downgrade my daily driver to more of a beater. Very bittersweet, but I'm not rich enough yet to have everything :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 06:39:14 PM by t5inside »

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #9112 on: June 17, 2017, 07:28:59 PM »
I had a night at home on my own last. Hubby away. Kids at the in-laws. I resisted the urge to get takeaway and had mystery leftovers from the freezer. Turned out to be some sort of home-made chicken curry. So delicious.

I did buy a bottle of wine but used a 2 for the price of one voucher. All in all a very enjoyable night.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9113 on: June 18, 2017, 01:59:42 AM »
Got up early on Sunday (weekday early) to drive with my DH to a hiking area. That way I didn't have to drive somewhere else myself.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9114 on: June 18, 2017, 06:45:18 AM »
I cashed in a ton of e-rewards points for Macy's giftcards and replaced several bras for almost free.

Hopefully I can build up enough points again to supplement holiday shopping in November.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9115 on: June 18, 2017, 07:10:27 AM »
I guess everyone here does this: both DH and I started painting outside parts of the houses, starting with what needs it most. This will be another couple of days work before the nessesary parts are done. Will be either next weekend or some evenings.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #9116 on: June 18, 2017, 08:40:23 AM »
For a Fathers' Day gift for DH, I picked a pint of wild black raspberries for him (the patch was thick and thorny, and it took some doing to wade in and out of there) and fixed his coffee before he woke up. 

Have gone nowhere this weekend except for a quick trip to the library with the kids.   Resisted kid #2's request to go to a movie this weekend.  We are finding fun things to do at home instead.   

Zero spend weekend.     

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9117 on: June 19, 2017, 01:12:10 PM »
While I was shopping at Goodwill for other things, a lady noticed a toy in my cart and asked if I had a little baby. I said yes and she told me she brought a pack-and-play to donate but this Goodwill doesn't accept baby items. She said she'd love to give it to me just to save her a trip to another thrift shop. The timing is perfect as baby has about outgrown her basinnette. Savings: $35+

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9118 on: June 19, 2017, 01:16:11 PM »
-Repaired a pair of underwear. The seam where the elastic is joined was coming undone, but the elastic itself is intact. Sewed the seam back up, tada. Glad I looked at the damage before tossing them, like I almost did.

-Starting to drink more decaf. (Weaning myself off caffeine, but I still love the taste and morning ritual of coffee). Picked some up at costco, which is cheaper than I can find it in my local grocery stores.

-Ate leftovers. =) Always a good one.

While I was shopping at Goodwill for other things, a lady noticed a toy in my cart and asked if I had a little baby. I said yes and she told me she brought a pack-and-play to donate but this Goodwill doesn't accept baby items. She said she'd love to give it to me just to save her a trip to another thrift shop. The timing is perfect as baby has about outgrown her basinnette. Savings: $35+

That is awesome! How thoughtful of her, too.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9119 on: June 19, 2017, 04:08:38 PM »
I don't have a cooler.  Living between a city apartment and a rural apartment right now for work. I've been transporting food wrapped in a thick fleece blanket with a frozen water bottle for an ice pack. Works pretty well. Used the set up yesterday to take a free pint of icecream to the park.

I picked up a string of abandoned coupons at the grocery check out. Usually they are for brand name items I don't buy but there was one for a free pint of halo top icecream. Hence the free icecream at the park.

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #9120 on: June 19, 2017, 08:20:38 PM »
I don't know if this counts as saving money since I technically *spent* money - every other month or so we get $10 off a $10 purchase coupons for Kohl's. I never shop at Kohl's except when these coupons come around. Their clothes are cheap quality and honestly, everything is overpriced, but I can't pass up free money. I bought a 3-pack of socks I like for $3.45 - original price $14, minus $10 coupon, minus 20% off the remaining $4 (plus tax). One time I managed to get a 6-pack of my favorite socks for under $1 b/c it was on sale.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9121 on: June 20, 2017, 05:21:22 AM »
I'm trying to eat down my pantry and freezer in preparation for a move. Last night I managed to use up the random bag of arborio rice, two jars of frozen homemade broth, and some of the frozen caramelized onions by making risotto.

Made homemade bread.

DH had to travel for a job interview. We traded cars for a few days since mine gets double the gas mileage (he's convinced his Tacoma is "practical" and won't get rid of it).

Signed up for the July Uber Frugal Month emails from Frugalwoods. I found the daily emails super helpful in January and we'll be getting ready to move this time, which could easily turn into a spending orgy if we aren't mindful.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9122 on: June 21, 2017, 12:30:20 AM »
Showered and washed hair at work for the second time this week. Both after walking to work (7,5 kms one way).

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9123 on: June 21, 2017, 12:55:21 PM »
I don't know if this counts as saving money since I technically *spent* money - every other month or so we get $10 off a $10 purchase coupons for Kohl's. I never shop at Kohl's except when these coupons come around. Their clothes are cheap quality and honestly, everything is overpriced, but I can't pass up free money. I bought a 3-pack of socks I like for $3.45 - original price $14, minus $10 coupon, minus 20% off the remaining $4 (plus tax). One time I managed to get a 6-pack of my favorite socks for under $1 b/c it was on sale.

I use those coupons, too! It's the only time I shop there.  I usually use them on kid's books to keep stocked for gifts (my favorite gifts to give!)

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9124 on: June 22, 2017, 02:24:01 PM »
I'm sewing a dress/leggings set for a friend's daughter for her second birthday. Rather than buy a dress pattern, I lengthened and added some flare to a tshirt pattern. Saved $7 on buying a pattern.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9125 on: June 22, 2017, 03:35:58 PM »
-Costco hasn't been carrying my breakfast hotsauce (Frank's) so I went to a different grocery store to get it. Normally really expensive, but right now the BIG containers are $3.99 each, which is barely more expensive than costco has them for. So I bought 2 =) Woulda bought more, but they don't age super well, and with it being summer, I didn't want to risk it.

-Ate leftovers.

-Ate produce from the garden. Peas in a stir fry last night, lettuce as part of lunch, cilantro in the salad last night as well.

-Rode bikes to the store instead of driving.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #9126 on: June 22, 2017, 06:42:20 PM »
Ate dinner at home rather than buying something, even though I was tempted.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9127 on: June 23, 2017, 02:21:10 PM »
Had a ticket to both Thursday and Saturday nights to see a favorite band at the Beacon Theatre at $75 a pop... I enjoyed the first one and just sold the second one (at a slight loss, unfortunately, but sunk cost yadda yadda... better to have most of the money back than none of it) so I have the money back in my pocket and I will do something cheaper on Saturday instead.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #9128 on: June 23, 2017, 09:33:46 PM »
Been selling books and misc on ebay to clean out for an upcoming downsize...  The guy at the post office loves my packaging, because I won't spend money on it.  I tape shut previously used bubble envelopes and cover the tags with my own, turn cereal boxes inside out for new 'envelopes', etc.    He finds it amusing.

Hung dry several loads of laundry this week.

Packed lunches every day and brought coffee.

Created some new art pieces that I plan on gifting for Christmas and birthday gifts.  I used material and canvases that I either reused or already had and am trying to work through...so no money out of pocket, and they cost significantly less than something I would have had to go out and buy for gifts.  Kind of like 'making' money ;) 

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9129 on: June 23, 2017, 09:50:03 PM »
Bottled my first batch of kombucha.  Flavored the brew with various syrups and juices I've bottled in the past that have just been sitting in my storage room... blackberry lemonade, rosemary plum, and grape.

I did spend a fair amount to get the operation going... $50 or so?  I was buying 4-6 bottles/month at $3.00 a pop.  So... say $15/month.  I figure I break even in 3 months or so, even though I plan on making enough to drink a bottle every day or so. 

If we were going by the bottle, I'd break even in less than a month.  However, there's no way I'd ever have spent $90/month on the stuff, so I don't think it's a fair way to count.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9130 on: June 24, 2017, 04:18:17 AM »
Both my DH and I have been painting tar on the outside of the house/garage today, starting with the walls that are in most need. Never hiring a person to do stuff we can do ourselves.

Alf91

• Stubble
« Reply #9131 on: June 24, 2017, 02:33:17 PM »
Walked to/from the grocery store (1.9km each way).

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #9132 on: June 24, 2017, 02:50:34 PM »
Downgraded my netflix subscription. Saving of about $3 a month.

Increased the excess on our car insurance to save  $80 a year. Hopefully that one won't bite me later on.

nara

• Stubble
« Reply #9133 on: June 24, 2017, 03:02:19 PM »
Worked on a Saturday and a made $250 (Does that count?)

SquirrelStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9134 on: June 24, 2017, 03:06:27 PM »
Tried to see if I could survive in an 80 degree house (I can) after receiving a ridiculously high electric bill.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9135 on: June 25, 2017, 03:30:15 AM »
Cut my husband's hair. This time he not only tolerated it but actually enjoyed it. (Beer and music helped.)

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9136 on: June 25, 2017, 07:33:12 AM »
(Beer and music helped.)

It always works on us men.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9137 on: June 26, 2017, 09:58:44 AM »
Earlier this year, bought 6 pairs of used wooden plantation shutters from Craigslist for $350. Then fell into despair because I thought they didn't fit our windows.  Finally brought up the question to my brilliant husband, who figured out how to install them.  Compare to a quote to get them done professionally for $1500... wouldn't even have been real wood!

Got my 13 year old son to mow the lawn in return for screen time.  He is motivated to do a good job because he has a plan to start a small mowing/raking business this summer.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9138 on: June 26, 2017, 10:47:05 AM »
Maybe not small, but just finished moving which should save me an $150+ a month on rent and gas. I'm just renting a room in someone's house, so the lease is month to month and there is a lot more space than in an apartment. Unfortunately not biking distance to work, but I'll keep looking. Rentals of any kind are almost non-existent near work. :(

Alf91

• Stubble
« Reply #9139 on: June 26, 2017, 02:22:47 PM »
Saw a platter with sandwiches on it and folks cleaning up after an event - asked if I could have a sandwich. Yay free lunch.

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #9140 on: June 26, 2017, 03:08:33 PM »
I cleaned up my email by unsubscribing from a TON of sites.  Stuff like Etsy, Goldstar (event tickets), and other websites that I *might* want to order from again at some point, but I definitely don't want regular emails from them pushing me to do so!  This little thing didn't save me money today, but I think it will over time.  Sort of the "if you don't want to buy anything, stay out of the store" approach.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9141 on: June 26, 2017, 05:02:08 PM »
I cleaned up my email by unsubscribing from a TON of sites.  Stuff like Etsy, Goldstar (event tickets), and other websites that I *might* want to order from again at some point, but I definitely don't want regular emails from them pushing me to do so!  This little thing didn't save me money today, but I think it will over time.  Sort of the "if you don't want to buy anything, stay out of the store" approach.

I was only thinking last night that I need to do that again.

I'm subscribe to a few event/ticketing mailing lists so I know when my favourite comedians are visiting Australia, but I get spammed with everything else in the meantime.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9142 on: June 26, 2017, 05:17:15 PM »
Still using up my supply of airline/hotel hand cream. I keep it in my desk at work.

I've been looking for a new doona cover for my room at my parents' house (going up a size in doona), then remembered I have a spare in the linen cupboard.

Washed my doona cover and mattress protector at my parents' place rather than getting them dry-cleaned. (I live in an apartment. I can peg sheets and towels out on my balcony, but a king size doona cover is pushing it.)

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #9143 on: June 26, 2017, 08:25:55 PM »
The fact that a duvet is called a doona in Australia delights me. You have the best words.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9144 on: June 26, 2017, 11:58:44 PM »
* Made waffles, beer bread and minestrone soup. The soup included homegrown zucchini and chard from the garden.

* Rode my bike to Starbucks so I could get some work done in quiet. Saved $0.10 by bringing my own mug and brought home a free bag of used coffee grounds to fertilize our garden.

Sydneystache

• Bristles
  • Aiming for RE!
« Reply #9145 on: June 27, 2017, 02:31:40 AM »
The fact that a duvet is called a doona in Australia delights me. You have the best words.

Hehe...aww sweet thanks!

I suppose with duvet it's a choice of whether you pronounce it as du-vay to be posh or du-vette. With a doona, you either do or don't.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #9146 on: June 27, 2017, 03:13:29 AM »
Went to an investors meeting from our local Vanguard alternative. Free financial advice from an index fund director (who was surprisingly approachable too).

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9147 on: June 27, 2017, 03:43:41 AM »

Hehe...aww sweet thanks!

I suppose with duvet it's a choice of whether you pronounce it as du-vay to be posh or du-vette. With a doona, you either do or don't.

Doo or doo-nat, there is no try. ;)

Sydneystache

• Bristles
  • Aiming for RE!
« Reply #9148 on: June 27, 2017, 04:31:37 AM »

Hehe...aww sweet thanks!

Doo or doo-nat, there is no try. ;)

Love my doo-nahs!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #9149 on: June 27, 2017, 05:08:27 AM »
Can't wait to visit Australia -- hopefully next year.  You folks seem like a fun crowd.  :)