Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8028822 times)

SEAK

• Stubble
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #8800 on: April 27, 2017, 11:58:24 AM »
My wife wanted to meet up over lunch and split a restaurant lunch-since she didn't have time to pack one from home.  I suggested instead that we hike up a local trail from town and split my homemade lunch.

It worked out perfectly. We got a nice hike in, sat on a bench and ate our lunch of canned local sockeye salmon w/crackers, carrots, apples,  peanuts- all while enjoying awesome views, watching mountain goats, and listening to roaring waterfalls.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #8801 on: April 27, 2017, 03:56:07 PM »
Yesterday I bought mushrooms by the pound rather than the prepackaged ones. Saved $0.50/lb.

Today we went back to BBB and got refunded 20% since we did not have the coupon at the time of purchase. Score.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8802 on: April 28, 2017, 12:05:26 AM »
Made creamy sweet potato soup with cheap sweet potatoes for myself and a friend for dinner to go with the redbox rental we watched. 

Nangirl17

• Stubble
« Reply #8803 on: April 29, 2017, 12:09:06 PM »
Went to a breakfast meeting, but ate breakfast before I went. I took along a travel mug of coffee so I had something to drink - saved $10!

PetiteMouche

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8804 on: April 29, 2017, 12:31:18 PM »
Good for you, Nangirl!

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8805 on: April 29, 2017, 01:26:55 PM »
Menu-planned for the week then walked to Aldi to buy only exactly what I needed to fill in the gaps of my current pantry/fridge (well, plus a bag of pretzels), rather than my usual grocery strategy of shopping off Safeway sales and post-hoc meal planning. Spent $18, when a normal weekend trip probably would have been ~$40.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8806 on: April 29, 2017, 01:56:53 PM »
-Volunteered at a local food bank garden. Brought home a couple heads of lettuce =) Walked there and back, so no gas expense.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8807 on: April 29, 2017, 03:22:27 PM »
Friday was the day of free food.

My husband had picked up burgers from a local place which is staffed by young locals and developing a big cult following. Last time he was there he offered to help them out with something, just did them a little favour because of where he works. This time he got home and they had refunded our meal, put cash in the bottom of the bag with a note saying "thank you for your support". So, free dinner.

On Friday I also brought home a couple of gourmet meals courtesy of a friend at work, so that fed us Saturday lunch and Saturday dinner.

I gave us both hair cuts.

And I checked online for the price of my nephew's birthday present and found it was marked down $15 this week, so we went for a quick drive and picked up that.

Oh, and I cooked and shredded a kilo of chicken breast for the freezer (to be used in enchiladas, sandwiches, salads, whatever).

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8808 on: April 29, 2017, 04:03:39 PM »
The racks on our dishwasher started rusting (after 14 years, I'm not surprised). I was browsing Craigslist and someone was selling their newer dishwasher with the same racks, but a broken handle for $20. We drove out there (admittedly 30 minutes each way) and they helped load it up in our car, then declined our money. Score!

Nangirl17

• Stubble
« Reply #8809 on: April 29, 2017, 04:23:06 PM »
Good for you, Nangirl!

Thanks!!
My husband (who is miles more frugal than I am), was even impressed! :-)

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #8810 on: May 01, 2017, 10:03:55 PM »
Superglued the plastic frame of some goodwill sunglasses to hopefully keep them going. We will see how that goes.

Redeemed credit card rewards for cash back = 25.00

Packed lunches and avoided driving anywhere but work.

Planning on meeting a buyer for some kitchen ware I no longer need/want.  20.00 bucks cash

Turned on the space heater in the office where we spent our evening rather than turning the heat on for the whole house.  May temps are starting out chillier than normal here.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8811 on: May 02, 2017, 08:27:31 AM »
-Had admired a neighbor's garden at a BBQ last weekend. Yesterday he called and let us know he had extra raspberry starts for us. Woo free plants! Might get some tomato starts from him too.

-Impulse spend on a bottle of wine was prevented by massive checkout lines and impatience.

-Sent enough lunch for husband and his dad who he works with, so neither went out to lunch. I've started taking this approach because otherwise FIL makes DH go to lunch even if he had lunch packed. To be fair, husband doesn't usually have to pay for lunch, so I guess this isn't really savings beyond health savings by avoiding fast food type stuff, haha.

-Had an option for a 2 med approach or a 1 med approach. Optional med was substantially more expensive than req'd med. Cost wasn't the main reason, but I decided to hold off on optional med for a little bit and see how I fare on med#1. Cost savings are just a bonus there.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8812 on: May 02, 2017, 09:59:22 AM »
Gave Aldi a try. I need to find time to price compare to what I normally get, but it seems like it will win. We got everything for 2 weeks of dinners and lunches except meat which we prefer our grocery store.

We made a bunch of freezer meals from a plan I found online. One of the recipes called for top sirloin, which was selling for $8 lb. Since it will be slow cooked, I substituted for a lower priced cut.

dreaming

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8813 on: May 02, 2017, 11:27:54 AM »
I called and switched auto and home insurance to Ameriprise through Costco.  I know I should have done it last year, but after seeing my savings, think it's a few years overdue.  Savings - $1,950 for the year!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8814 on: May 02, 2017, 11:51:50 AM »
Hung out the laundry. The weather is really goid and I have a pile of stuff to wash.
Last weekend I picked new seaweed and dried it. This to be used as flavors in food.
Today we ate a cod that my DH caught this weekend. Another portion is left and put in the freezer.
I bought broccoli and cauliflower on sale and cheap bread.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8815 on: May 02, 2017, 12:33:30 PM »
We returned from a trip last night and had a nearly-bare fridge waiting for us. I used the milk that had gone sour to make pancakes for dinner. Then this morning I managed to find a serving of chili and cornbread in the freezer to send with DH for his lunch.

Grocery shopped with a list. Probably bought too much fruit from a nutritional standpoint, but it is our toddler's favorite snack and I'd rather he eat fruit than processed stuff.

Aldi had infant acetaminophen as a special item for a lower price than I've seen elsewhere. The expiration date is a year out so I bought a few bottles even though we don't need any right now.

Batch cooking freezer meals: one to take to neighbors who had a baby, one for a friend who had surgery, and one for us.

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8816 on: May 02, 2017, 05:02:12 PM »
Spent 21 minutes on the phone and in exchange I got our internet bill reduced by $16/month for the next year.

That's a total of $192 saved.
Which means I just paid myself the equivalent of $548.57/hour to spend the time to get a lower bill.

:)

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8817 on: May 02, 2017, 05:49:22 PM »
I bought a golf bag at a flea market and got some used clubs to put in it. The driver and the putter were used but fitted to me; the wedges and my hybrid #5 were women's standard size from the flea market. Total cost for everything, including 18 golf balls, was about $100. I wanted head covers and got two pair of socks from my sock drawer and tailored them. I also needed a towel, so I reached into the rag bin for a towel I know I used in high school. Think I look like a golfing hobo? Think again!

jordanread

« Reply #8818 on: May 02, 2017, 08:41:41 PM »
I thought all golfers looked like hobos. Why else would one wear those pants? :P

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8819 on: May 03, 2017, 01:12:28 PM »
I thought all golfers looked like hobos. Why else would one wear those pants? :P

I wear khaki shorts, thankyouverymuch!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8820 on: May 04, 2017, 06:37:55 AM »
Ran home from work yesterday. Walked back this morning.

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8821 on: May 04, 2017, 06:46:04 AM »
* Needed some new work clothes (dang baby weight that won't go away!) so I popped into Goodwill rather than the pricey places at the mall.  Got the same brands I would have from the department stores, but for about 90% of the price.  A new-to-me pair of pants and three new-to-me shirts for less than $10 works for me!

* Didn't get a chance to menu plan or grocery shop this weekend, but instead of stopping for takeout we've been eating out of our freezer.  Today me thanks past me for thinking ahead!

* Got all of my mother's day cards from the Dollar Tree for less than $5, which is what I'm sure I would have spent on just one card anywhere else.  Yes, cards in general are a complete waste of money, but it's also a simple way to remind those around me how much I love and appreciate them.

* Got my mom's mother's day gift from Goodwill - a Harley Davidson shirt with the tags still on.  Also got her a bracelet off of Amazon, but since I have been saving up survey company gift cards, I still count this as saving money out of my own pocket for it.  Will also mail it off on a mystery shop, so not cost to me there!

* Signed up for a kid's workshop at Home Depot this Saturday.  My daughter and I will get some quality alone time, she gets to build a free plant pot, and it won't cost me anything but the Starbucks hot chocolate I promised her afterwards...which I will pay for from a gift card I have had forever...literally, years.

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8822 on: May 04, 2017, 07:18:23 AM »
Our local grocery store chain, known for their meat counter service, occasionally runs a ground beef special but the catch is you have to buy it in 10 lb increments. I finally broke down and bought a tube on sale yesterday, then divided it into 1lb packages to store in the Deep Freeze. That works out to $1.79/lb for 80/20.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8823 on: May 04, 2017, 08:35:58 AM »
-Bought mother's day cards from Trader Joe's while we were there ($0.99 per). I just can't beat their quality to price ratio elsewhere. My TJ's bday card stash came in handy recently, too, when I made a bday card for a patient's mom/full time caregiver I interact with a lot.

-My yoga pants tore =( These guys didn't even make it 6 months. I'm very disappointed. Instead of buying replacements since it's getting toward summer, I'm getting buy with some sweat pants I got for free from my ILs (no one knew who left them, but hey, they fit me), and my yoga capris I already own. At some point I'll make a goodwill trip and see if I can get a decent replacement.

-This is the year of free plants: I've gotten free raspberry starts, oregano, and sage, and probably have tomatoes coming my way as well.

-It got hot yesterday and will be hot again today. Prior to yesterday, we hadn't passed 70F... and yesterday hit 80F! More of the same today. We're not using any climate control though, we're opening the house up overnight/in the AM and closing it all up around 10am as the temp starts to rise. It's probably a pipe dream, but I'd like to make it through May without using the AC. Old dog that gets febrile seizures though, so maybe not =\ I definitely won't be pushing my luck on it.

-DH used our house for a work meeting with coworkers. Someone had suggested a restaurant. Luckily we had a massive batch of chili in the fridge, so I told DH to just serve that and make coffee. It ended up being good, because they needed a second computer monitor after all. Cheaper AND more effective meeting? Perfect.

-We're down to the last 2 steaks from our 1/4 cow. This makes me very sad, BUT, also means we aren't wasting any meat. It's easy for meat to get lost in the deep freeze and get freezer burn. But we want NO food waste! =)

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #8824 on: May 04, 2017, 04:58:38 PM »
Cancelled my underutilized YMCA membership since the summer stuff is gearing up and the pool will be overrun with kids soon. I'll get back into running again instead. Used the savings to increase my Vanguard contributions. Feelings pretty good about that.

Metalsatsuma1212

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8825 on: May 04, 2017, 05:11:50 PM »
Our family gave up soda for a year starting today. We spend a lot in soda in a year, about $1500 so that will be a huge cost cutting exercise. Replacing with Water and inexpensive home brewed tea.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #8826 on: May 04, 2017, 05:29:09 PM »
Found a bunch of seeds (5 or 6 years old) a couple of months back, so I soaked and sprouted some to make sure they were still viable. They were, so now a fresh batch have just gone into the under-used backyard garden. Also plugged in a few potatoes that had gotten a little too sprouty for us.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8827 on: May 04, 2017, 05:45:07 PM »
Salvaged two of my partner's three pairs of pants!  He was down to just his wool dress pants.  Yesterday I did extensive patching on his jeans, just buying time to try to find some at goodwill or on sale.  Today I scrubbed a massive grass stain he had given up on out of his khakis.  Woohoo! 

Yesterday he asked me to bring food for him while he finished working on a project.  I had already left the house and didn't have much portable at home, but I'm pretty proud of the dinner I put together at the grocery store!  A tub of spinach, a basket of strawberries, some raisins and some deli chicken all in a salad with cottage cheese and two fresh ciabatta bread from the in store bakery. Around $9 total. We made an easy picnic of it and he had cottage cheese and a couple strawberries left for breakfast this morning. More expensive than unwashed greens but cheaper and much better than pizza or subway but it still felt like a treat. (Or maybe my life just is that boring!)

I also got a pile of books I need for a class via Interlibrary loan. Saved at least $40-60 on rental fees.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8828 on: May 04, 2017, 11:07:47 PM »
Canceled an Amazon order for a new lunch Thermos for my son because I found a better, new-with-labels Thermos at Goodwill for 1/3 the price. (His old lunch Thermos had started leaking from the lid so couldn't be used for soups anymore.)

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8829 on: May 05, 2017, 05:10:52 AM »
* went all week having leftovers for lunch
* tempted to buy some wine on the way home from work ...  decided not to

... BTW, this is good for me

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8830 on: May 05, 2017, 05:22:50 AM »
* went all week having leftovers for lunch
* tempted to buy some wine on the way home from work ...  decided not to

... BTW, this is good for me

Gosh, you are a lot stronger than I am.
Yesterday I had to drive quite a long way to a certain shop for a new oil filter in the car. Drove past the liquor store and couldn't help to visit it to buy more cheap wine. We have only more costly wine at home and I don't want to drink costly wine too often. And when at the car shop, I also visited the well-sorted grocery shop, which is also an expensive shop. Positive thing about is that I only bought things that were on sale. Negative is that I bought stuff that we don't actually need, like luxury buns that I put in the freezer for some special occasion. And fresh strawberries that smelled good. And some french cheese, just because I think it will taste good. Good thing: I bought toothpaste in very large tubes, which were much cheaper per kilo than the normal ones I usually buy. Toothpaste is often on sale, but always sold-out when on sale. So I never get the chance to buy it cheaply in bulk. So now I bought 3 big tubes.

nick663

• Bristles
« Reply #8831 on: May 06, 2017, 11:19:04 AM »
Sold a set of wheels for my old car for $175.

Took advantage of eBay promotion (500 free listings between 5/2-5/6) to relist everything I had in "unsold listings" along with ending/relisting existing listings.  Will have another 36 listings to use this month.  Also listed a few new items.

We're moving at the end of the month so anything I can get rid of in exchange for cash I'm very happy with.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8832 on: May 06, 2017, 12:13:30 PM »
DH and I decided to cut our personal "fun money" by 1/3. Cancelled Photoshop subscription. Cancelled Netflix since we have Amazon Prime now.

Saves $100/mo total. Yes!!!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8833 on: May 06, 2017, 01:44:44 PM »
-A med I take is technically over the counter, and so far I've ordered it from the producer. But, they into'd a loyalty program, where if I have a prescription and have a pharmacy fill it, I get $$ off. So last doctor's appointment I asked and he gladly wrote the rx, and once the pharmacy sorts a couple things out, I'll be doing it this way. It'll end up being ~$60/month instead of the ~$85/month I'm paying now. Awesome.

-Built a bike stand. Similar stuff online wasn't super expensive, $20-30, but we made it with ~$8 worth of materials, so that's still a good savings IMO. Plus, nothing like some family weekend woodworking to double as skills development and a hobby cost! =)

-Store had bone-in chicken thighs for less than half the thigh filets, so I grabbed a pack of those. Also got the filets for 'emergency' food (ie, too tired to de-bone the meat meals), but the thigh pack is much larger.

-Husband went grocery shopping with me and we did NOT go off list! This is a big deal. We love getting groceries together, but it's better for the budget if we don't =P

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8834 on: May 06, 2017, 09:03:33 PM »
Dh's office had free soda (fountain).
For my maternity leave, I take the baby to have lunch with him once or twice a week. We, of course, pack our lunches.

And I get a soda :)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8835 on: May 06, 2017, 09:16:59 PM »
A local bike advocacy group was offering a FREE! bike repair class. I now know how to lube a chain, remove a wheel, patch/fix a flat tire and more. Freebies included a water bottle, reflectors and tire levers. Hopefully this knowledge will pay off in future DIY savings.

Hit a neighborhood estate sale and purchased two unopened boxes of canning jars at a steep discount.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 11:58:25 PM by jengod »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8836 on: May 07, 2017, 12:55:09 AM »
Prepared my bicycle to cycle to work from next week.
Tiday we will chanfe oil on one car, change tires on the other and wash both cars. All for free at my office which has a garage and a washing hall.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8837 on: May 07, 2017, 01:40:55 AM »
Went to the movies with husband and a friend. Husband got a free ticket (from loyalty points), and I used a gift card for the other two. Out of pocket $0. (Friend drove, ate lunch beforehand, took a bottle of water.)

Went grocery shopping, only spent $50, stocked up on a couple of things we need. Bought dried chickpeas and lentils instead of tinned. Soaking the chickpeas now to make sweet potato and carrot soup tomorrow.

Cold-washed, line-dried two loads of washing. Tomato soup on the stove for dinner.

And I spent some time working on something for my husband's career. Our already precarious industry is becoming even more fragile, with major layoffs at his employer's parent company this week (a quarter of FT employees to be made redundant). So I put together a strategy to make him as bulletproof as possible. It's about survival now. 

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8838 on: May 07, 2017, 05:05:51 AM »
Put a chicken carcass in my Instant Pot with celery tops, onion skins, and carrot peelings. Added a few bouillon cubes and water to cover. Cooked under pressure for an hour.  Scavenged meat from bones, discarded the rest, and made chicken noodle soup.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8839 on: May 07, 2017, 02:33:32 PM »
This was a few days ago but I just got an e-mail about it to remind me... I had plans after work, but had an hour to kill in between. Instead of going out and getting a drink or coffee or whatever, I stayed after hours at my desk and did Amazon turk. I just got an e-mail telling me that I got a $6 bonus for the task I did in addition to the regular pay. :-)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8840 on: May 07, 2017, 03:49:09 PM »
-cooked the chicken frame after making a whole chicken with veg scraps from the freezer bag, and used it to make a big pot of egg drop veggie soup.

-Went to goodwill to replace my yoga pants. For $22, I got yoga pants, a pair of 'daily wear' capris, and running shorts. Not the *best* deal of all time, but I would have paid $20+ for yoga pants alone if bought new, so I'll count it as a victory.

-Used a gift card from my birthday to buy another pair of running shorts in a different style that will be good for long distances. (The shorts I have now chafe soooo bad after ~3 miles, and it's getting too hot to run in capris)

-Tried skipjack instead of albacore tuna on top of a salad. It'll work! A little bit fishier and not as great of texture, but definitely edible. This will save money and be less mercury too. Win win.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8841 on: May 08, 2017, 12:59:02 AM »
Grabbed a $5 pint of fancy ice cream out of the freezer at the supermarket. Realized it's been cold out so wtf am I doing buying ice cream. Put it back. Bought 10 onions for $1 instead.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8842 on: May 08, 2017, 04:42:48 AM »
Grabbed a $5 pint of fancy ice cream out of the freezer at the supermarket. Realized it's been cold out so wtf am I doing buying ice cream. Put it back. Bought 10 onions for $1 instead.

... not really the same with chocolate topping though. ;)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8843 on: May 08, 2017, 06:14:38 AM »

I dunno. Could be pretty good if you caramelize them first. :)

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8844 on: May 08, 2017, 06:55:32 AM »

Well I just learned that onion ice cream is a thing that exists. http://www.saucemagazine.com/recipe/1673

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8845 on: May 08, 2017, 08:58:53 AM »

Well I just learned that onion ice cream is a thing that exists. http://www.saucemagazine.com/recipe/1673

Eeeeeewwwww.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8846 on: May 08, 2017, 10:27:55 AM »

Eeeeeewwwww.

For the record, I thought I was making a joke. Though if it must be done, it should be done with Vidalias.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8847 on: May 08, 2017, 10:34:13 AM »
Understood. It reminded me of the German folk remedy for coughs, which translates as "onion sugar syrup".

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8848 on: May 08, 2017, 11:00:22 AM »
Turned down an invite to go to Starbucks with officemates this morning in favor of our free Keurig. Leftovers for lunch (and those from a dinner purchased by my in-laws, no less!). Resisting the urge to go buy candy this afternoon because it's bad for me and my wallet.

Metalsatsuma1212

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8849 on: May 08, 2017, 02:14:53 PM »
My husband washed out cars rather then taking them through the car wash. We are baby Mustachains so it felt like a huge win ha ha.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!