Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8029099 times)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #8650 on: April 06, 2017, 03:28:06 AM »
Back to packing lunch (went out for a work lunch on Wednesday, the first time I've bought lunch this year).

Had work drinks in the office tonight, cheaper than going out.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #8651 on: April 06, 2017, 11:26:12 AM »
Got another 5.00 off 25.00 dollar coupon from our local family dollar.  I can get the cheapest toilet paper around from there, so I stack the normal savings and the coupon ever few months when we get another mailer. 5.00 + saved on TP, with tons to use in the next few months.  I may not even need to use the coupon next time it rolls around...

Used a 3.00 off coupon on top of 3.00 off via a sale price for fancy hydrogen peroxide contact solution.  If it hadn't been on sale, I wouldn't have used it, because Amazon prime's price is better than the grocer's price even with the coupon.

Packed lunch for me.  Husband gets lunch a la the company since he is at a job site all day.

Husband and I are trying out using the Wire app for text communications.  Most of the time I am connected to wifi of some sort, and I have Ting, so I try to keep my texting usage low to stay within the cheapest range.  Most of my texts are to and from the husband, so we are seeing this coming month if that will make the (6.00) difference for me ;)

Picked up a penny off the ground. 

After school babysitting is continuing through Track season, so another few bucks of extra income each week this month.

Paying double on our vehicle loan this month, saving some interest and hoping to get it paid off by the end of the year.

jordanread

« Reply #8652 on: April 06, 2017, 11:28:58 AM »
I was in a good coma last night, so I didn't bother posting. However, my small thing is that I got 3 turkeys for $.69/lb. Yesterday, I made a wet rub and smoked one of the turkeys. It was the best turkey I've ever had, I think.

starjay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8653 on: April 06, 2017, 03:06:43 PM »
Today I resisted the urge to go the office cafe for a burger and instead ate the salad I brought from home. I didn't really want it, buuuuut it was already paid for. (and the office cafe burger isn't really worth $10, anyway).

CutTheFat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8654 on: April 06, 2017, 06:43:40 PM »
Made Budget Bytes Shrimp Fried Rice with Pineapple and Coconut, highly recommended!  I subbed Chicken breast for the shrimp.  I purchased the chicken breast at a steep discount at Aldi this week on sale for $1.79/lb. and they had a sign hung stating that all packages were $2off.  This was the 3rd night that we used chicken from this family pack for dinner, not including the lunches that we got from leftovers. We made a double batch of Budget Bytes Lime Chicken Soup one night and loaded baked potatoes topped with buffalo chicken breast another.  I think I have to go back and see if they still have chicken left at that price!     
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 07:11:36 PM by CutTheFat »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8655 on: April 06, 2017, 06:50:18 PM »
-Picked up 50% off manager's special chicken for the adobo I was making tonight.
-Discovered I still hate cauliflower, so remainder will get cooked up into the next batch of the dog's food so it isn't wasted. I won't buy cabbage for the batch to balance it out.
-Went to two stores to maximize grocery shopping, even though I really didn't want to.
-Shifted my produce purchases based on what is on sale, and will tweak the meal plan accordingly

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #8656 on: April 07, 2017, 01:45:05 AM »
I bought 2lbs of white clover online for $44 with shipping and taxes. Locally it costs $68 for the same thing. My boyfriend and I will be splitting the cost as we both want to overseed our lawns. I have been converting my lawn to clover for a few years now because it is a far more economical then grass for a lot of reasons. Best part, my portion of the cost was paid with money from work rebates, so it was actually free!

The last two days I have worked from home because I am under the gun for a massive project. This is the last time I can work from home during the week until next December, which is a bummer. I like saving on fuel. I also like working a really long day 7am until 7pm but taking lots of movement breaks where I can do quick chores and stretch at the same time.

I received my Sample Source box in the mail. Biggest box yet with tons of great freebies. Best part, a fistful of coupons for free full sized products that I will use because they are healthy products I would normally buy.

Got a coupon for $8 off an oil change at a place I have not been to be gore, considering trying them out.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8657 on: April 07, 2017, 06:02:40 AM »
My cold air intake has been hanging a bit lower than it should due to a broken bracket. It rained pretty bad a few days ago and the filter definitely got some water in it. Ended up finding a way to zip tie the air intake higher, to the original position. Wish I did it earlier but I don't think there was any long term damage.

I almost bought another air intake online for $150+ a few months ago, glad I didn't!

I think I'm going to put a pack of zip ties in the car.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #8658 on: April 07, 2017, 06:44:35 AM »
My cold air intake has been hanging a bit lower than it should due to a broken bracket. It rained pretty bad a few days ago and the filter definitely got some water in it. Ended up finding a way to zip tie the air intake higher, to the original position. Wish I did it earlier but I don't think there was any long term damage.

I almost bought another air intake online for $150+ a few months ago, glad I didn't!

I think I'm going to put a pack of zip ties in the car.

I also have employed the use of zip ties in my the engine bay: holding up my air intake as well as the coolant reservoir since I relocated the battery (the coolant reservoir was mounted to the old location; the battery is now where the intake used to be).

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8659 on: April 07, 2017, 07:31:48 AM »
Shopped around for a place to do a CT scan my doc ordered. Found one that did it for $449 instead of the $3k the hospital quoted. They did a great job too.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #8660 on: April 07, 2017, 07:38:50 AM »
Wrapped up a board game that I had been gifted, but never opened, as a gift for a birthday party I am going to this weekend.  Completely different circle, shouldn't be a problem re-gifting, and its a family oriented game anyway...much better for their family of 6 vs. the 2 of us.

Husband was going to make me a fold down hanging rack for the laundry room.  It was going to be pretty simple with hinges and chains and be primarily for the really heavy stuff.  (He was getting sick of the sweatshirts and jeans drying on the kitchen chairs.)  I was in goodwill and found a pre-built rack that is meant for the closet, but the perfect size and shape to add chains and a hinge to for our project.  It was 0.50!  Can't buy the dowels and wood that cheap!

Picking up jars and supplies today to start the Christmas vanilla....I'm making a serious go at inexpensive/meaningful/useful gifts this year.  Homemade vanilla should be a hit for the bakers :)

Handed husband a to go mug of coffee and two hard boiled eggs on his way out the door this morning.  We were running late, so that is his to go breakfast.  Saved the 3.00 I knew he would spend later on coffee and a donut otherwise!

Verdandi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8661 on: April 07, 2017, 02:32:24 PM »
Only ate homemade food.
Cooked pho for dinner, and made broth from scratch. I just made 4 dinners worth, the rest will be frozen for next time (I'm crazy about homemade Asian soups at the moment). Brought homemade cake to the office.
Watched netflix tonight, and just didn't spend money :-)

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8662 on: April 07, 2017, 04:12:54 PM »
Lunch was leftover salad from somebody's catered event at work. ETA: Also rescued 3lbs cooked brown rice, which is now in my freezer.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 05:19:17 PM by Inaya »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8663 on: April 07, 2017, 05:10:26 PM »
My nephews were inundated with chocolate last Easter so this year I'm giving them a pair of jeans each (thrifted but NWT) ($2 total), an Easter colouring-in book I made (free), and a couple of plastic eggs each full of coins (about $10 all up) for their money boxes. They are really interested in money at the moment, love counting it and putting it in their money boxes, so I am more than happy to encourage this. (Then we will deposit it into their bank accounts.)

I have an Easter bucket left over from a couple of years ago, so I wrapped up the tiny jeans and I will shred tissue paper and make it all look lovely.

I was feeling a bit of competitive stress about Easter, watching what my colleagues are spending on their families, but I just have to remind myself that we all have different priorities.

CutTheFat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8664 on: April 08, 2017, 11:05:59 AM »
I shopped at Aldi yesterday after work.  I bought 4 family sized packs of chicken thighs at $0.69/lb.  Two packs went into the freezer as is and two I de-boned and removed skin.  I put all the scraps and bones in the instant pot with veggie scraps that I save in the freezer.  I have enough scraps and another bag of frozen bones that I pulled out of the freezer, so I'll make a second pot of stock when this one is done.  I'll freeze most of it and make a soup this week with some.  I like freezing the majority of stock in ice cube trays and transfer to zip bags for ease of use.  I used to freeze in canning jars but it makes it impossible to use on the fly without good planning.  Soup is so quick and easy especially in the instant pot so instead of stopping at the store to pick up boxed stock, I plan for my occasional lack of planning!  I'm marinating half of the now boneless, skinless thighs in homemade yogurt, lemon juice and herbs.  We will grill it up for dinner tonight with plenty of leftovers for my lunch salads for the week.  I froze the other half plain for future use.  DH fixed a leaky pipe in the basement $15 in pipe parts and PVC primer and cement which he will have for any future projects.  Cut the puppy's nails even though she hates it and it would be so much easier to take her somewhere to have it done.  DH has to help hold her and I and the clipper.  Now it's time to cut DH's hair.  I've been doing that for years, he likes it pretty short so its every 2 weeks.  I made my latte like I do every morning in my Mr. Coffee pump machine that I've had for a few years with a drizzle my homemade chocolate syrup and I made huevos rancheros for breakfast.           
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 11:25:46 AM by CutTheFat »

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #8665 on: April 08, 2017, 12:49:35 PM »
I recently patched a number of holes in my bedroom walls from hanging large, heavy art. The paint on the walls in my bedroom were showing their age before I patched them, afterwards it was looking pretty rough. I found my original paint chip (yeah me for keeping those) and took it to the hardware store to buy some more paint to touch it up (no leftovers from the original painting)

Well I realized I could spend $3.97 and buy a tester pot which would be more then enough paint. Sure enough I just spent an hour touching up and I have plenty of paint leftover. I am going to look at the walls once they dry tomorrow and redo anything I missed.

It actually makes the whole room look way better and is a good solution for one more year. I have a bunch of painting projects to do this year and it is just not in the budget to add one more room.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8666 on: April 08, 2017, 03:47:02 PM »
MAJOR "small thing" victory! We have now, officially, FULLY insourced dog grooming! When we came to MMM, she was getting a full bath/nail trim/etc once per month for $30. Then we moved it down to just her nails ($18, then $14 after we moved), but we had to move her up to once every 3 weeks because her nails are high maintenance. We got her as a rescue, and some are split, and have really long quicks, and grow in a tight curve into her paw pads. Given how technical the cutting of her nails is, and not wanting to be the Bad Guys who quick her, we kept outsourcing the nails. For Christmas though we got a dremel, and we finally worked up courage (slash time, now that husband is done with his masters) to do her nails ourselves!

$14 every 3 weeks means a $243/year savings =) Plus, she did really well with the dremel! Probably because I fed her an entire cheese stick in the course of her four feet =P We got faster as we went though.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #8667 on: April 08, 2017, 04:37:11 PM »
MAJOR "small thing" victory! We have now, officially, FULLY insourced dog grooming! When we came to MMM, she was getting a full bath/nail trim/etc once per month for $30. Then we moved it down to just her nails ($18, then $14 after we moved), but we had to move her up to once every 3 weeks because her nails are high maintenance. We got her as a rescue, and some are split, and have really long quicks, and grow in a tight curve into her paw pads. Given how technical the cutting of her nails is, and not wanting to be the Bad Guys who quick her, we kept outsourcing the nails. For Christmas though we got a dremel, and we finally worked up courage (slash time, now that husband is done with his masters) to do her nails ourselves!

$14 every 3 weeks means a $243/year savings =) Plus, she did really well with the dremel! Probably because I fed her an entire cheese stick in the course of her four feet =P We got faster as we went though.

Way to go! I just started insourcing the dog grooming in January and have done it twice. Two dogs equals $140 savings each time ($800+ per year), so I'm feeling great about it. The nails make me a bit queasy as well, but it's improving (made two bleed last time, but dog did not even notice and next time I will hopefully avoid that). I'm sure you will be a pro in no time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #8668 on: April 08, 2017, 09:43:31 PM »
I recently patched a number of holes in my bedroom walls from hanging large, heavy art. The paint on the walls in my bedroom were showing their age before I patched them, afterwards it was looking pretty rough. I found my original paint chip (yeah me for keeping those) and took it to the hardware store to buy some more paint to touch it up (no leftovers from the original painting)

Well I realized I could spend $3.97 and buy a tester pot which would be more then enough paint. Sure enough I just spent an hour touching up and I have plenty of paint leftover. I am going to look at the walls once they dry tomorrow and redo anything I missed.

It actually makes the whole room look way better and is a good solution for one more year. I have a bunch of painting projects to do this year and it is just not in the budget to add one more room.

I bought a gallon of 'mistint' paint today. Someone had returned it when the color didn't quite match. Paid <$10 for a good exterior latex paint, which usually runs about 25-30$.
Using it to paint my beehives, which I am making myself from recycled old wood.

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #8669 on: April 08, 2017, 10:47:16 PM »
Yesterday I had homemade coffee and a free croissant my husband got from the cafe at the bottom of his building on fri afternoon, they were about to throw them out so they gave him two, then we went to the gym instead of paying for parking we found free parking a street away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8670 on: April 08, 2017, 11:50:08 PM »
Fixed my washer last night at midnight... Was lying in bed and realized I hadn't heard the thing hit it's drain cycle yet.  Sure enough... full of water and  refusing to do anything but agitate.  Diagnosed the likely problem using the internet.  Pulled out the lid switch so I could see... realized the housing was broken so used some picture hanging wire to squeeze it back together.  Reassembled, and it worked!  Clean clothes this morning!  I should probably still order a new switch...

Vicster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8671 on: April 09, 2017, 02:41:48 AM »
So yesterday...

Replaced velux blinds that had been broken beyond repair ....replaced with cheap velux compatiable blinds which look great
took out Bay tree from garden, a lot of digging involved
hung out washes
ate left overs
no spend day

:)

CutTheFat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8672 on: April 09, 2017, 11:03:20 AM »
I made oatmeal for breakfast this morning with my usual latte. DD made herself a breakfast sandwich and I made her chai tea.  I also made 2 Greek salads topped with leftover chicken for work. I turned 4 cups of chicken stock that I made yesterday into lentil soup, using a new recipe (only sub was chicken stock instead of veggie and I added one rib of celery) http://cookieandkate.com/2015/vegan-lentil-soup-recipe/  I'm freezing half of it and packed up 2 servings for work to go with my Greek salads for Mon and Tues.  I still have more soup and more chicken left over for later in the week.  Planned for dinner tonight white clam pizza on the grill with arugula salad, salmon burgers tomorrow (from canned salmon) with sweet potato fries and salad.  I'm off Wednesdays so I usually only plan Mon-Tues, then on Weds I figure out the next couple days.  I made a jug of iced tea out of some of the fancy pants Tevena blueberry tea that was gifted to me.  I went through my spice cabinet and tea cabinet re-organized and refilled some of my spice bottles from the bulk spices that I get from my co-op.  DH brought out the grill and patio set out from the shed. We are enjoying being outside since the weather since it finally feels like spring! 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 08:33:12 PM by CutTheFat »

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #8673 on: April 09, 2017, 10:15:44 PM »
Today, I convinced DH to sign up for a new plan from our electric company.  It offers much lower rate per KWh in addition to a charge per maximum load incurred during the peak usage time.  I had crunched the numbers and my simulation was in favor.  He did a bit of checking and agreed.  We decided to revisit after August - we can always go back in the fall.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8674 on: April 10, 2017, 06:37:49 AM »
Washed and waxed both of our vehicles. It's not something we exactly enjoy, but fresh air and sunshine and some light exercise is nice.

Saved strawberry tops and spinach stems over the weekend and put them in a smoothie this morning (an idea from this thread!).

Bought "seconds" apples from the farmers market and made applesauce.

Made homemade iced tea and iced coffee.

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8675 on: April 10, 2017, 07:42:05 AM »
Drank the free coffee at work - it's really not that bad tasting and it gets the job done.

Had some really brown bananas, so whipped up a batch of banana nut muffins.

Got down my kid's Easter baskets and plastic eggs from last year (really, from several years ago...) to re-use for this Easter.  Have been saving small stickers I get in the mail to put in the eggs.  Will probably add some small coins this year as our oldest is loving putting money in her piggy bank.  Hoping she ends up with her mama's love for saving!

Found out I'm getting a raise at work.  Already figured out how much I'll increase retirement contributions by to eat up said raise.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8676 on: April 10, 2017, 07:59:19 AM »
Yesterday, drove 10+ hours for a friend's baby shower. Packed food and downloaded podcasts ahead of time. All I ended up buying was 1 coffee on the way home- that even would have been avoided if the coffee at the shower hadn't gotten finished before I left =) Still, it was a good stop to stretch my legs and use the bathroom anyway. And our new car gets 40mpg on long trips, which is sooooo much better than when I used to drive my 17-20mpg truck everywhere.

At baby shower, Friend sent me home with a bag of 'overflow' baby clothes and a new stroller- they had bought it and a single plastic piece is broken. Company sent a new one and told them to trash the old. We're going to take a look at the stroller and see if it'll be an easy fix. Close friend is a mechanical engineer with a 3D printer, so there's a chance the cost of a beer and a drive will get us a fancy-pants stroller. Admittedly, now I'm the crazy lady who hasn't gotten pregnant yet who already has a high chair, a stroller, lots of baby clothes, etc. ;) Haha. Good thing we have an attic to hide stuff in!

Today, DH is taking an exam in another town. Exam is 6 hours, with a break in the middle, so we packed him a big lunch and an iced coffee to take.

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #8677 on: April 10, 2017, 07:37:43 PM »
I cancelled a follow up physio appointment, I feel much better from a one off injury and it was going to. E just a follow up appointment, $110 saved!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #8678 on: April 10, 2017, 09:00:29 PM »
Updated all my credit and rewards cards on UPromise. Only 2/6 were up to date. Also requested a check for cash back that was still hanging out there for a few years. Had to buy a book for DD's school work, so got it used off Amazon, and went through the Jet Blue portal for 3X points. I'll try buying an Amazon gift card next week at the grocery store with my 6% cash back card, to see if I can stack the 6% and 3X points.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8679 on: April 11, 2017, 12:11:53 AM »
Made curry using up veges that would've turned otherwise.

Froze delicious baked goods from the weekend for future afternoon teas.

LostGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #8680 on: April 11, 2017, 09:44:31 AM »
I looked up some neck stretches on youtube instead of booking a massage.  My neck really hurts but after one session of the stretches I can tell they will help.

Didn't stop for coffee this morning! It's still my guilty/small pleasure a few x/month.  But I haven't gotten a coffee in April :)  It's all about the little things here!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8681 on: April 11, 2017, 12:28:43 PM »
When the company I work for was acquired a couple of months ago, the HR people told us about all of their different benefits and blah blah, some of which had waiting periods (like 60 days for the 401(k)). I realized last week that they'd never offered us one of the benefit programs that they'd told us about (pre-tax transit), so I asked about it and HR is setting me up for access now. (I'm not sure if they just forgot or if eligibility is based on remembering to ask for it, or what... :-/ Weird.)

Bottom line: should be worth a little over $500/yr in cash savings!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8682 on: April 11, 2017, 01:05:27 PM »
Did not sign kids up for camps during spring break. Wow it feels great. No where to go. Kids relaxed, watching TV, reading books, doing crafts, went outside to kick a ball around.

TheFixer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Getting smarter, 1 facepunch at a time
« Reply #8683 on: April 11, 2017, 04:35:51 PM »
Did my first churn today.
Went to Huntington Bank, opened a checking account with $1000. Will receive $250 bonus deposit in one month.
While I was there, applied for a CC w/ 3% cashback at grocery, and $100 bonus cash w/ $500 of activity in the first 2 months. No problem, we spend $3-400/mo on groceries.

Should receive $350 in a couple months for a total time investment <2hrs.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8684 on: April 11, 2017, 04:52:26 PM »
Over the last few days I have:

-put in an insurance claim for travel fees after our honeymoon  holiday was cancelled due to a cyclone (TG for MMM, we had money to pay upfront for something else!)

-saved $30 on our normal grocery bill by being thrifty - put it towards our house deposit account

-reduced the fees on my retirement savings account by getting classified as white collar

-reworked my budget to save a little more each fortnight, now between investment savings, house deposit savings and rent (which will one day go to the house) - I'm at 51%!

-went to thrift store for desperately needed work pants, only shopped clearance racks, found 2x black pairs of work pants for $2 each, 2 x pretty summer dresses (shame its winter here) for $2 each, and a pair of comfy black skinny jeans for $3.20 - I've  had jeans that are just a bit too small for 3-4 winters now, so having a comfy pair  of warm pants that fit is amazing!

-turned our hot water heater down from 80C to 60C. Plan to shop for hot water insulation this week.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8685 on: April 11, 2017, 04:58:49 PM »
Today I got new car insurance quotes from several different providers.  Looks like it's time to switch carriers!  That will save me several hundred dollars over the next year.

CutTheFat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8686 on: April 11, 2017, 09:25:43 PM »
Today for breakfast I made my usual latte at home with eggs and toast. I ate the salad  and clementine that I brought to work for lunch and I stepped outside the office and found a spot to sit and enjoy the weather while I ate my lunch.  It was a stressful day at work and for a little while I forgot I was stressed.  I had to work late and had anticipated it so I brought a scoop of whey protein powder in my shaker bottle.  I added too much water and it didn't taste good at all.  I was starving so I just chugged it anyway.  DH texted that we were out of both feta and blue cheese and we had planned a salad to go with soup for dinner.  I asked if he wanted me stop at the store on my way home and his reply was, "Either way I'm good.  Don't "need" cheese".  I said let's skip it then.  I've recently started seeing a shift in him and I'm loving it.  I've committed to consuming and enjoying fancy teas from my stash every evening.  I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I have an entire cabinet in my kitchen dedicated to tea, yet I tend to drink and repurchase the same 2 teas while all the fancy ones just sit there!  My goal is to not purchase any tea until I use up what I have.  Now I can't help but think what I can store in that cabinet once there is room and how long it will take to clear it out.  I'm continuing to read through all of the pages of this thread for inspiration and ideas.                     
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 07:33:27 AM by CutTheFat »

hiker_girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8687 on: April 12, 2017, 02:20:31 PM »
Decided to stop using wall clocks because I am tired of replacing or recharging their batteries every few months. My rechargeable batteries and charger from ~2007 have died and I am not planning to replace them. I will train myself to rely on my cell phone instead. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8688 on: April 12, 2017, 02:30:10 PM »
Hung up most of the washed laundry in the bathroom. Only the bed sheets had to be tumble dried, because I don't have any place to hang those up inside. It rains outside.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #8689 on: April 12, 2017, 06:30:37 PM »
Baked muffins and boiled hard-boiled eggs for husbands breakfast meeting tomorrow. Its a 6:00 AM study group that he trades off breakfast responsibility for, and for months we have just eaten the 10.00 donut cost every four weeks.  I was tired of them eating all the sugar, and he was tired of spending money on junk food.  Husband had to work late,  so,  while maybe not cheaper, I did bake blueberry muffins and boil the eggs for him.  And then to make myself feel even better, I added a 10.00 payment to our vehicle loan debt.....

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #8690 on: April 12, 2017, 07:57:25 PM »
Paying off car loan... sold my concert tickets I bought way while back. Made $15 extra. $80 going towards loan.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8691 on: April 13, 2017, 04:25:57 AM »
I'm down to one working belt that I switch between all pants, time to shop.  Checked the local clothing stores, but found that the cheap stuff felt... cheap, and the good stuff was 'spensive.

Let's go online.  Found a small family owned leather goods manufacturer that now also has online shopping.  Got two really nice leather belts for approx half price of the one I was considering in town.

And as a bonus, I avoided the chain store retail and support a smallish, craft style-store in a small town in the countryside.  And bought quality. :)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8692 on: April 13, 2017, 07:03:19 AM »
Spending a rainy day on sewing a sweater for myself from a cloth that we got for free.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8693 on: April 13, 2017, 11:08:35 AM »
Bought a metal filter for my Aeropress coffee maker.  No more paper filters for me.  Cuts down future cost AND waste.  Coffee tastes better too.  I get better flavor so I use less grounds per cup (saves $$), and even more impressive - I am able to finally drink my coffee black.  So no more cream or coconut milk or whatever, again saving more $$.  Love it when a small change cascades like that.

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #8694 on: April 13, 2017, 12:05:57 PM »
Hi lemanfaan,

Would you pass on the link for the belt makers?

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8695 on: April 13, 2017, 12:18:08 PM »
I didn't have enough summer clothes to get through a week without doing laundry. I hit up the thrift store (not the cheapest one, but has a far better selection than any other I've found nearby) and got 3 pairs of shorts and 4 t-shirts for $40.

MrMonkeyMoustache

• Stubble
« Reply #8696 on: April 13, 2017, 01:59:15 PM »
Changed my cell phone plan to save $20/mo. I don't need 2GB of high-speed data, especially when I'm almost always on Wi-Fi.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8697 on: April 13, 2017, 02:25:25 PM »
Hi lemanfaan,

Would you pass on the link for the belt makers?

Sure it's http://maleraslader.com/  ... but probably not a really good place to shop for people outside of Sweden.  At least since the e-shop is in Swedish only.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #8698 on: April 13, 2017, 06:50:28 PM »
Despite running out of data, I did not upgrade my data plan. Wi-Fi only until May!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8699 on: April 13, 2017, 06:55:44 PM »
-Even though I had planned on buying asparagus, and REALLY wanted it, it double in price in the last week ($1.99/lb to $3.99/lb), so I bought cabbage instead. Roasted cabbage is still delicious, and it's only $0.99/lb.

-Husband and I decided this weekend we will put in additional raised beds. The added gardening space will save us money in the long run on food. Plus, having a good healthy outdoor hobby can bump less healthy or more expensive habits.