Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8029180 times)

tc_traveler86

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #8600 on: March 27, 2017, 09:46:17 AM »
After a very, very spendy week, I finally have something to add!
Husband and I moved across the country, and shipped our stuff... So that means no kitchen equipment :(
First couple of days I let hubby take charge of purchases, going out to dinner etc.  While very tasty, that much eating out was not making me feel great.  So I lobbied for a Costco run- bought a bunch of their pre-made dishes (lasagna, stuffed peppers etc) that can be cooked in the container and several premade salad kits!  Is it the cheapest/ healthiest thing I could do- nope-  But here is to not letting perfect be the enemy of done!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8601 on: March 27, 2017, 11:23:46 AM »
I walked to and from work -> no petrol spent. In total about 3 hours.
Are as usual homemade lunch at work and fruit provided by my enployer.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8602 on: March 27, 2017, 03:43:42 PM »
Lately I:

Have been trying to catch up here, am behind by about 15 pages!

Because of a new service deal with my home office, I'm receiving an additional $1,000/mo this year indefinitely.  I immediately called a financial advisor and am putting the entire amount into an IRA.  I've got some retirement funding to catch up on!

Found a penny while taking the long way to the office mailbox.

Called my cell phone carrier and changed plans for an annual savings of nearly $300.

Combined some things with DH to help save on our insurance.

Batch baked yesterday:  Almond flour cookies, flax muffins, and a few other things for work day lunches.

I saved 25% on my monthly grocery bill by using coupons, e-coupons, and shopping the sales.

Gave a certain airline some "feedback" when they made me miss my connection last month.  They refunded my overnight expenses, and gave me $150 gift card.  I re-gifted the latter.  :D

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8603 on: March 27, 2017, 11:02:18 PM »
* Checked out an ebook from the library for free

* Added thinned pumpkin seedlings to today's green smoothie to reduce food waste

* Cleaned out the coop of the season's worth of "deep litter" and spread the well-rotted fertilized bedding beneath five different fruit trees in the yard, saving ~$50 versus purchasing store compost.

* Spent $50 less than I thought I'd needed to on a new set-up for our chicks.

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #8604 on: March 28, 2017, 04:45:45 AM »
I'm over a week now of consuming only powdered milk! I'm determined to turn this into a permanent habit! It saves me about 25c/L here in Aus. I also don't have to worry about buying fresh or UHT milk as its easy to keep a stash in the Pantry.

Yesterday at a discount store I bought a second milk jug. Plastic, 1.5L, $2.50... actually made in Australia! I'm stoked about that, I was of course expecting made in China. Now when I make milk I can do two jugs at once, 1L and 1.5L, so I don't have to do it as often.

Bought a new fridge. Its a 250L Samsung model. I bought a watt metre, and worked out that my old fridge (which I got for free from my Grandad a year ago) was chewing about 3.5kwh per day...I only use 5kwh/day in my unit, in any case thats a ton! It was a 500L fridge, way too big. I worked out that this new Samsung at $539 delivered (I shopped around, this is a couple of hundred below retail) based on its energy rating and my electricity costs (100% green energy, 34c/kwh here in Adelaide, South Aus), would pay itself back in just over 18 months. Warranty is 2 years plus 10 years for inverter. So it was a no brainer! Basically halving my household electricity useage, which will also make going solar and battery easier in a couple of years.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #8605 on: March 28, 2017, 05:52:21 AM »
I've checked out and read nearly 50 books from the library so far this year. I've also borrowed books from friends and reread some books on my shelves.

Money spent on books in 2017: 0

Considering my reading addiction, this is a big deal. :)

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8606 on: March 28, 2017, 06:32:50 AM »
I worked out that this new Samsung at $539 delivered (I shopped around, this is a couple of hundred below retail) based on its energy rating and my electricity costs (100% green energy, 34c/kwh here in Adelaide, South Aus), would pay itself back in just over 18 months.

18 month pay back is awesome! And wow, 34c/kwh. I guess I'm lucky with the 11-13c/kwh I get in the southern US.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8607 on: March 28, 2017, 06:39:32 AM »
I've checked out and read nearly 50 books from the library so far this year. I've also borrowed books from friends and reread some books on my shelves.

Well done.

My challenge when it comes to books is that I can download a free Kindle book every month from the Samsung deal with my phone. Via some annoying app that is sending me Kindle commercials on a daily basis and I cannot turn it off. :-(
But the point is that most of these books are the first in a sequel. And of course, when the books is good, I want to read the rest of the sequel as well. And some writers have discovered this as a good business to make a decent length part 1, a pretty short part 2, an even shorter part 3 and 4. And the prices go up from part 1 to 4. (tip for those who want to publish a book as a side-gig). I should try to focus on choosing books that are not part of a sequel.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #8608 on: March 28, 2017, 07:21:06 AM »
Ate breakfast at home

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #8609 on: March 28, 2017, 09:17:21 AM »

Well done.

My challenge when it comes to books is that I can download a free Kindle book every month from the Samsung deal with my phone. Via some annoying app that is sending me Kindle commercials on a daily basis and I cannot turn it off. :-(
But the point is that most of these books are the first in a sequel. And of course, when the books is good, I want to read the rest of the sequel as well. And some writers have discovered this as a good business to make a decent length part 1, a pretty short part 2, an even shorter part 3 and 4. And the prices go up from part 1 to 4. (tip for those who want to publish a book as a side-gig). I should try to focus on choosing books that are not part of a sequel.
Depending on your version of android you can disable notifications from specific apps. For me this worked great since a very annoying app kept notifying me so i friggin blocked it :D

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8610 on: March 28, 2017, 11:36:14 AM »

Well done.

Depending on your version of android you can disable notifications from specific apps. For me this worked great since a very annoying app kept notifying me so i friggin blocked it :D

Dankjewel, Wauske. That was of course the solution.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8611 on: March 28, 2017, 11:54:18 AM »
I just saved $60 on toner for the office by shopping around and buying refurbished.  :D

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8612 on: March 28, 2017, 01:11:31 PM »
I bought the cheapest while wheat bread from the shop, even though it didn't feel like the freshest. Save about 1 dollar a bread. I also bought some packs of flour. 2 kilograms can probably make 4 loafs and the price is less than 1 bread that I usually buy.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8613 on: March 28, 2017, 01:45:20 PM »
I had a spendy day, but I worked some of the details to be frugal. It could have been worse!

I bought an all day ticket to the local (well televised internationally) tennis tournament in town. That was the spendy part.

But instead of following their directions and parking at the lot 3 miles away and taking a shuttle bus to the tournament (the required method of parking) for $15, rather I drove past the traffic jam this parking lot was creating, past the location of the tournament to a park 1 mile away and parked for free all day and had a very pleasant 1 mile walk to and 1 mile walk back to the tournament. Considering I was going to be sitting most of the day watching professional tennis, the walk was a nice addition to the day. The line of cars into and out of the regular parking lot, plus having to wait for the shuttle buses probably saved me time (and aggravation) too.

I also brought my own lunch/dinner and snacks instead of paying for overpriced food. And I refilled my brought-from-home water bottle in the bathroom sink instead of buying bottled water.

I probably saved between $30-$50 by not paying for parking or food.

BrightFIRE

• Stubble
« Reply #8614 on: March 28, 2017, 02:33:34 PM »
Our humidifier started making a grinding/grumbling noise and wouldn't mist anymore. I figured there was literally zero risk in trying to fix it, since otherwise it would go in the trash. Googled it, found a YouTube video about how to fix it, tried the fix, voila - a working humidifier that cost $0 and only about 10 minutes of work.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #8615 on: March 28, 2017, 06:32:10 PM »
Bought paint for my bathroom -- unneeded I suppose, but certainly wanted -- off of Lowe's oops shelf.  9.00 vs. 31.00!  Its the nice stuff too..lol.

Bought a 1st birthday gift for my niece from a clearanced stash of Melissa and Doug stuff.  Saved 15.00 and got a quality, non-crap kids gift

Bought a brand new book at the thrift store for a dollar. Its a gift, and will be paired with a gift card to a local shop :)

Babysat today after my work shift. 

Turned off heat/AC the last few days.  Trying to keep this coming month's bill low...electricity costs are going up locally :(

Cloth pads -- i figure they save me/pay me back 4-5 cents each one I use ;)  I wear them with a menstrual cup...because I'm paranoid.  If i use cloth, I buy less pantyliners.

Got another 5 off 25.00 coupon from family dollar.  They have the cheapest toilet paper prices around...so I'll stop by there and buy 25.00 worth of toilet paper and stack the savings ;)

Not driving tomorrow...yay!  Its been a while since I've had a no drive day.

I've been superglueing cracks in the battery cover of my phone for months.  Finally broke down an ordered one on ebay.  6 bucks, verses Amazon's 18.00 price tag...

Hung laundry to dry.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8616 on: March 29, 2017, 12:14:41 AM »
I drove to work, but will walk home in the afternoon (7,5 km). And then walk back the next morning. This fitted best with the weather forecast.

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #8617 on: March 29, 2017, 01:08:35 AM »
I worked out that this new Samsung at $539 delivered (I shopped around, this is a couple of hundred below retail) based on its energy rating and my electricity costs (100% green energy, 34c/kwh here in Adelaide, South Aus), would pay itself back in just over 18 months.

18 month pay back is awesome! And wow, 34c/kwh. I guess I'm lucky with the 11-13c/kwh I get in the southern US.

Yeah when I realised how much electricity my fridge might be using, I went out and bought the watt meter (about $20). Confirmed my suspicions. 18 months is a pretty incredible return on investment! Pretty hard to beat it.

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #8618 on: March 29, 2017, 01:11:14 AM »
I'm three days into awesome Moustachian commuting. A few weeks ago I moved into my one bedroom unit very close to work (its an amazing spot near the city, parklands, etc). Monday our research group moved into our new space on the Uni's main campus.

My walk is amazing, its not awful city streets, but parklands, a beautiful cricket stadium, crosses a river. Glorious!

21minutes walk for me. I walk fast, this is at 6.5kph. I'll get faster as I get fitter (relatively to my former self I'm quite unfit cardio wise at the moment).

Not even worth using a bike for this. Loving it!

starjay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8619 on: March 29, 2017, 09:46:56 AM »
Yesterday, talked my boyfriend into "shopping" from our fridge/freezer/pantry when he made dinner, rather than drive to the supermarket. Saved money! Had great food! He even cleaned out the freezer...we have space in there now. Whoo!

starjay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8620 on: March 29, 2017, 09:48:20 AM »
Our humidifier started making a grinding/grumbling noise and wouldn't mist anymore. I figured there was literally zero risk in trying to fix it, since otherwise it would go in the trash. Googled it, found a YouTube video about how to fix it, tried the fix, voila - a working humidifier that cost $0 and only about 10 minutes of work.

That's great! YouTube repair videos have saved me so much time and money over the years. They're one of the reasons I'm delighted to be living in the future.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8621 on: March 30, 2017, 06:33:04 AM »
I changed my TSP contribution (government 401k) so that I'll withhold the max this year! I didn't think I could afford that but after many many small increases suddenly maxing out is only $42 more per paycheck! :D

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #8622 on: March 30, 2017, 10:31:13 AM »
Picked up 31 cents on my walk this morning.

Packed lunches. 

Heat/AC both still off.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8623 on: March 30, 2017, 02:44:04 PM »
Superglued the lid of my butter dish back together.

The company prides itself on being environmentally friendly and reducing waste so I emailed them to ask if I can buy a spare lid rather than replace the whole dish. Nope. So superglue it is.

Made a chocolate truffle cake for a friend's birthday out of ingredients on hand.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8624 on: March 30, 2017, 08:15:35 PM »
I am sitting on a bus, while it drives away from my house, because it will eventually drive to my house. After 45 min standing in freezing rain, I was seconds from taking a taxi, before I talked myself into this plan

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8625 on: March 30, 2017, 10:05:15 PM »
Forgot to add...

Went out for dinner for a friend's birthday last night. A rare dinner out, cost <$25 for the two of us, and I brought half my meal home and ate it for lunch today.

I've been thinking about buying new coasters, as it didn't seem like they were doing a very good job. Then a guest broke one while I wasn't here. He did such a horrendous job of sticking it back together that I'm determined not to buy new ones because the repair is so bad I want to be able to show people.

Anyway, I've started using a folded cloth placemat as a coaster. It's brilliant! Soaks up all the condensation, looks cute, and I can just throw it in the wash.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8626 on: March 30, 2017, 10:36:25 PM »
I'm going to be out late for nine days in a row, and have reached the point (day 6) where things like having groceries on hand and being able to prepare lunches in advance is just not happening. But I had a brainstorm today at work and realized that I could get two meals for the price of one at the Tex-Mex place by my office, which serves absolutely enormous portions of relatively healthy food (I got brown rice, beans, chicken, veg, salsa and cheese). So I spent $8 and got both lunch and dinner out of it, which meant that I wasn't ravenous when I got home at 11PM and was able to swing by the grocery store and pick up a couple of things to tide me over until this crazy week is over.

I am sitting on a bus, while it drives away from my house, because it will eventually drive to my house. After 45 min standing in freezing rain, I was seconds from taking a taxi, before I talked myself into this plan

I lost this particular battle tonight. The bus only runs every 30 minutes and I missed it by about 30 seconds (watched it pull away!). But I only spent $5 on a rideshare service so it wasn't too terrible.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8627 on: March 30, 2017, 11:31:55 PM »
* Made a cake for my son's birthday using ingredients on hand, saving $15-$25 and a trip to the store.  Got  good reviews too!

* used homegrown thyme and garlic in a Parmesan peppers dish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #8628 on: March 31, 2017, 01:31:01 PM »
Received my natural gas "equal billing" bill today. They adjusted me down $30 because they always charge me too much. Which means for four months I will save $30 and the fifth month I will likely not have a bill at all because it's the reset month and then I will be back to what I normally budget.

It's my favourite bill of the year, when they realize I am way more frugal then their algorithm. :)

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #8629 on: April 01, 2017, 10:43:55 AM »
Bought 17.00 worth of summer clothes at goodwill.  My summer stock is refilled and besides another pair of shorts, I should be good for the spring/summer season!  My job involves lots of outdoor/summer camp/messy kid stuff...so my summer clothes often don't last past a season or two...

Picked up 2 pennies today off the ground.

Our friend that we trade dog sitting with has been needing way more dog sitting than we have been in the last six months.  Its not a big deal to us -- but invited us over for a rented movie and bought us pizza last night for it, so that was cool.

Hung dry laundry.

Cleaned out pantry and made mental note of what NOT to buy in the future.  I have a weakness for overbuying quantities or simply buying things we don't end up using.  I've been improving a lot, and our pantry is getting emptier for it :)  In a good way.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #8630 on: April 01, 2017, 10:48:24 AM »
I didn't plug in my car yesterday when I got home since I'm not planning on driving today. Instead, I'll charge my car in the middle of the night tonight when rates are low.

We're talking pennies saved here, but still...

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8631 on: April 01, 2017, 05:54:58 PM »
I cleared out my veggie basket this morning. Made sweet potato, carrot and chickpea soup, baked sweet potato and carrot for salads, and shredded hash browns.

Put two serves of bolognaise and four serves of taco mince in the freezer yesterday.

Dropped off donations at an op shop and picked up two new pairs jeans for my nephew for $3.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8632 on: April 01, 2017, 08:10:29 PM »
Went fishing. Caught two trout. ... I'mma eat 'em.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8633 on: April 01, 2017, 08:12:59 PM »
Got a $40 refund and a $20 Medicare rebate. Up $60 for the day.

Zikzin

• Stubble
« Reply #8634 on: April 02, 2017, 10:58:23 AM »
Made my own face mask:

Turmeric powder $1.89
Rice Flour $0.99
Organic plain yogurt $2.79 big tub
100% pure honey $6.19

mix together, put it on for 20 minutes, my face is beaming and tight.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #8635 on: April 02, 2017, 12:16:01 PM »
Did some yard work that my husband wants to outsource.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8636 on: April 02, 2017, 12:41:21 PM »
Made my own face mask:

Turmeric powder $1.89
Rice Flour $0.99
Organic plain yogurt $2.79 big tub
100% pure honey $6.19

mix together, put it on for 20 minutes, my face is beaming and tight.

How did that go for you? I've done similar, using oats lightly ground in the blender instead of the rice flour, but it stained my skin! Maybe because I am very pale? And my husband swore it was so minor no one would notice, but it looked very noticeable to me =\

Zikzin

• Stubble
« Reply #8637 on: April 02, 2017, 01:20:05 PM »
I have very sensitive skin too and was too scared to try it, it was actually the first time I tried it last night and I didnt get any rash from it, it doubled up as a face scrub when i washed it off and my face looked so bright. I gave in to this coz my skin looked really dull and tired lately.   

Maybe substitute the yogurt with extra virgin olive oil, since I heard some yogurt have irritants

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8638 on: April 02, 2017, 01:29:19 PM »
Turmeric is used as a dye, so I imagine if your skin was stained, it was because of that.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8639 on: April 03, 2017, 12:33:07 AM »
Enjoyed a U.S. National Monument for the wonderful low price of $2. We did the free junior ranger program, the kids came home with a pencil, a badge and a patch.

Found a nice water bottle someone had lost and separately a nice pocket knife for my son.

Saved all the slightly used soap bars from our hotel room and brought them  home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8640 on: April 03, 2017, 02:03:28 PM »
Adjusted my fridge to the warmest setting after finding frozen soup. The fridge is out of direct sun and we're not usually home opening it during the day.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #8641 on: April 03, 2017, 06:55:25 PM »
I got 2 litres of free raspberry lemonade today with a coupon I sent away for. It's far sweeter then what I normally drink (and it's low sugar already) so I will be cutting it in half with water. I still have three more coupons to use for other free items, so little bonuses coming!

I bought a crazy amount of pork centre loin for giving it away prices thanks to a local grocery store that accidentally ordered too much. So tomorrow while I am at work my slow cooker will be making pork carnitas (healthy version) and then the following day I will be making some garlic/Asia pork chunks. The freezer will be getting quite the workout when everything is packaged up! I'm quite excited by this purchase because the Asian pork works well with a lot of frozen veggies I am still working my way through.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8642 on: April 04, 2017, 06:08:10 AM »
Not sure if this counts since it involved actually buying something...but I got a Miele Salsa vacuum from Craigslist for $175. They gave me the original receipt which said $550. Came with extra bags and a filter too, and I drove less than 5 miles each way to get it!

So much better. I've been wanting a Miele for two years now. The crappy bagless vacuum (hand me down) is barely working and I refuse to buy a bagless.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8643 on: April 04, 2017, 09:19:36 AM »
-Used a few fridge ingredients that were on their way out to reduce food waste.

-Successfully used up all our dairy before starting our whole 30. Wouldn't have made it, but we had friends over, and who doesn't like cheese and sour cream with their tacos? ;)

-Reaching the end of the couch to 5k program I was doing with a (free) podcast. Found an app that does couch to 10k, and it is also free. So continuing to roll (jog?) with the free fitness options.

-DH joined a BJJ gym. It was supposed to just be the initiation costs the first month ($100) and no membership fees until the second month and on ($119/mon). A $219 charge popped up in mint for it today, UGH. So DH is calling them and working to get this sorted out. (What is it with BJJ places? His last place did this same sort of crap too. Soooo unorganized!) Update: we're being credited the $120, so we won't be charged next month. Lady sounded super annoyed though.

-Since I'm giving up dairy (probability I have issues with it, 85+% I'm guessing), so I'm trying to figure out good coffee addition options rather than my usual half and half. Have tried 2 different coconut milks that didn't work for me in coffee. But I figured out they're okay in cold coffee and blended coffees, so I've been doing these to use up the milks and not waste them.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8644 on: April 04, 2017, 10:54:28 AM »
-Since I'm giving up dairy (probability I have issues with it, 85+% I'm guessing), so I'm trying to figure out good coffee addition options rather than my usual half and half. Have tried 2 different coconut milks that didn't work for me in coffee. But I figured out they're okay in cold coffee and blended coffees, so I've been doing these to use up the milks and not waste them.

Fairlife milk, if you have it in your area, is a really good lactose-free milk. Also has twice the protein and half the sugar of regular milk. Plus it's super creamy. The skim (to me) seems almost like regular whole milk. Problem is it's pretty expensive, but less than lactaid (and actually not disgusting). I really only use milk for my tea and culturing kefir, so the extra expense isn't a huge problem.

Back on topic....
Due to a cooking failure (turns out edamame noodles are inedible) and homework, I totally neglected to prepare breakfast or lunch to take to work. So rather than buy cafeteria food, I just worked from home today so I can graze on whatever is around. Justified because I worked at the office an extra day last week.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8645 on: April 05, 2017, 08:34:53 AM »
I finally completed an online defensive driver safety course so that I could get 10% discount on my auto insurance. Plus, before I registered and found a $5 coupon for the course. So $19.95 for a $77 discount. I also just wrote our Amica agent to ask whether we are eligible for discounts for Vehicle Stability control and Anti-theft device since we have them (though maybe this should go under mistakes, because we should have received these discounts 2 years ago!)

Also, we just finished one of my son's science fair projects. Total cost, $0, as we just recycled the board he used last year and used some materials that were already cluttering up the garage.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #8646 on: April 05, 2017, 08:46:30 PM »
Decided to downgrade my cell plan. found out I am at the lowest plan already. but found out the plan was $5 cheaper than what I have. Changed plans for both DD and me. Savings: $10/month

Snowballed a debt $210. Saving in interest due.

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #8647 on: April 05, 2017, 09:31:27 PM »
I recycled:

New York & Company catalog
Mazda VROOM VROOM magazine

Both without reading.  No money spending ideas - no dollars spent!

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #8648 on: April 05, 2017, 10:11:09 PM »
Bought groceries so I can cook delicious meals instead of buying mediocre fast(er) food.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8649 on: April 06, 2017, 12:43:58 AM »
Got up early and drove a few kilometers extra to my work to fill petrol on the cheap moment of the week with a car that normally never drives past a petrol station.