Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8028986 times)

jordanread

Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #8550 on: March 18, 2017, 06:08:23 PM »
I bought a cheap hose reel, since I ruined cheap hoses regularly. I paid something like $15 for. Well, as is the case with cheap things, the seam started leaking over the past couple days, and getting worse. So I pulled it out, through some caulk I had on the seam, wrapped it in plumber's tape I had, and wrapped that with duct tape I had. It's working great now! No leaking water.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8551 on: March 18, 2017, 06:47:44 PM »
I wanted some fabric boxes to store magazines and sort mail. Instead of buying something, I cut up shipping boxes to make exactly the size I wanted and wrapped them in fabric I had gotten in a grab bag.  They look great and are the perfect size.  And hopefully they help with the paper everywhere situation!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8552 on: March 19, 2017, 10:57:46 PM »
* Stewing an old hen in a cast-iron Dutch oven overnight so we can use the meat for soft tacos. Used a homegrown rosemary, homegrown thyme and a homegrown lemon in the braising liquid.

* Bought "herbes de provence" from the bulk jars at Sprouts for $0.70 to refill my empty herb bottle. New bottles are $3-6.

* Made brownies from scratch to contribute a Cub Scout fundraiser rather than buying a box of something from the grocery.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8553 on: March 19, 2017, 11:44:35 PM »
* Stewing an old hen in a cast-iron Dutch oven overnight so we can use the meat for soft tacos. Used a homegrown rosemary, homegrown thyme and a homegrown lemon in the braising liquid.

* Bought "herbes de provence" from the bulk jars at Sprouts for $0.70 to refill my empty herb bottle. New bottles are $3-6.

* Made brownies from scratch to contribute a Cub Scout fundraiser rather than buying a box of something from the grocery.

What do you use herbes de Provence for? Someone gave m a jar, and I am at a loss.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8554 on: March 19, 2017, 11:51:53 PM »

What do you use herbes de Provence in?

Vicster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8555 on: March 20, 2017, 07:17:59 AM »
I tried to fix broken Velux blind....emailed customer support to find out type of screwdriver I need to get apart one particular bit and they emailed saying they would send me free screwdriver :) :) happy days :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8556 on: March 20, 2017, 08:49:49 AM »

Do you ever make your own french fries or hash browns? They can be quite tasty on fried up potatoes =) My mom uses them on baked chicken, but I don't like that as much. (Marjoram is hit or miss for me).

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8557 on: March 20, 2017, 09:18:32 AM »

Do you ever make your own french fries or hash browns? They can be quite tasty on fried up potatoes =) My mom uses them on baked chicken, but I don't like that as much. (Marjoram is hit or miss for me).

herbes de provence - oven sweet potato fries.  cut up the sweet potatoes, toss with olive oil, sprinkle with herbes de provence, put on baking sheet and cook for about an hour at 450.  Wonderful.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8558 on: March 20, 2017, 12:44:22 PM »
While back, got a really good deal on T-bone steaks. Ate the meat pretty soon thereafter, but froze the bones. Which are now bathing in the Instant Pot with some cow hooves and frozen onion skins for bone broth.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #8559 on: March 20, 2017, 04:36:36 PM »
Had a lot to do at work today, and forgot to eat lunch!

TheBuddha

• Stubble
« Reply #8560 on: March 20, 2017, 11:00:04 PM »
Instead of mindlessly buying more Audible credits ($11 each), I searched the Kindle daily deals and sorted by lowest price. I found a couple book series that looked good and which also discounted the audiobook version if you already own the Kindle version. I ended up getting six books, in both Kindle and Audible versions, for ~$18.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 11:02:05 PM by TheBuddha »

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8561 on: March 20, 2017, 11:44:34 PM »
I use herbes de provence the way other people use lemon salt or garlic salt. It's just, like, flavor. Most recently I used it on wild salmon fillets and it was so good. But the main reason my bottle was empty was because my 6yo used it all up for a "potion."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8562 on: March 21, 2017, 12:29:41 AM »
I love using lots of herbs and spices but have never used herbes de provence so thank you everyone for chatting about this! I will pick some up next time I am at our bulk herb store!

Today I:

*used up some potatoes that had sprouts for home fries. Had a partial bottle of Red Robin seasoning we were given, and so used it on the taters. They were delicious.

*used up some sourdough bread I made yesterday

*thawed and cooked enough salmon for dinner and leftovers for tomorrow

*stayed out of stores. I went over my grocery budget by $91 last week, so have to make this week's money last until payday March 31st
Will be doing lots of eating out of the freezer and baking from scratch. Currently thawing a chicken and a 2 pounds of ground beef.

*trying to not let any fresh produce go to waste (see previous entry)

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #8563 on: March 21, 2017, 04:43:03 AM »
Was going to buy milk. Then I decided to not be lazy, so I went home instead and made it from powder. Going to try and go a whole month without buying any fresh milk (only powder if I run out of my current stash). I figure after a month I might be in a habit.

Listed my Olympic weights on ebay, to go with some other things I listed in the last couple of days (including a TV antenna I now don't need, listed for $20...things below $20 I consider badass as there is hassle in organising the listing and postage, etc).

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #8564 on: March 21, 2017, 08:48:36 AM »
Arranging with a friend to possibly pass my sewing machine off to her for a few bucks.  it works fine (as far as I can tell) but I almost never use it.... Something about having to change out thread colors and bobbins regularly to do anything seems to kill the "convenience" of it to me.  I seldom sew large projects....  Most of the time I hand stitch hems and the like...

If i sell it to her cheap, I am sure she will let me come over every 3 years and use it when I DO have a big project ;)

Packed lunches, ate sandwiches at home when it would have been easy to eat out on Sunday afternoon.  Temps are rising so we are finally not running the heater much.  Here's to hoping we can hold off and not jump right into A/C usage.....

Babysitting a bunch this week.  Two families I know have kids on spring break.  One is spending today, Thursday and Friday with me (even spending half days at my low key office) and the others are being babysat this afternoon and tomorrow morning.  It won't be a lot of money, but we have had lots of dental bills in the last month or two, and our savings rate is still recovering....

Was fed by friends Saturday night in "thanks" for my husband helping them list a vintage truck on ebay.  Win for them -- win for us! 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8565 on: March 21, 2017, 09:21:02 AM »
-Packed lunch for work with leftovers I'm not thrilled about. I always pack lunch, but we've been trying *really* hard to have zero food waste. I'm feeling peckish today, but followed through with the planned leftovers anyway.

-Agreed to work an extra shift Saturday. In addition to the money from the task, this month my company is doing weekly gas card drawings for any nurse who picks up an extra shift. And apparently there's a larger drawing at the end for something big- last year they raffled a cruise, they haven't announced this years though.

-Bathed our dog. We used to take her to the groomer, although we've been bathing her at home for over a year now. (Still have the groomer do her nails, but they're pretty technical). Still, $12 every 3 weeks vs $25 every 3 weeks. So that's like $221 saved over the past year by making this change? Not too shabby! Plus this way we get to enjoy post-bath dog zoomies at home.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8566 on: March 21, 2017, 12:23:57 PM »
I fitted two LED light in the outside lights that are on most of the time. From 46W to 6W.

I also shopped at the more expensive grocery store that had 10 NOK (1 USD) market. I bought a lot of staples that I use often or intend to often. I also checked what the competing brands cost and put away the items on sale that cost more than the normal cheaper brand. I also checked the dates.

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #8567 on: March 21, 2017, 04:59:10 PM »
Plus this way we get to enjoy post-bath dog zoomies at home.
Post-bath zoomies are hilarious!  You're saving money and getting more laughs!

Agree! Just the thought of post-bath zoomies has made my day...thanks! :-)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8568 on: March 21, 2017, 08:12:07 PM »
Sold some scrap silver for $10, but more importantly found a "cash for gold" guy I liked. It was a referral from the lady at the big recycling center. They took some scrap aluminum and copper today but don't take precious metals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8569 on: March 22, 2017, 01:09:25 AM »
*Did a whole chicken from the freezer in the crockpot ... it was so tender and delicious! Made stuffing from a bag of bread ends I keep in the freezer until I have 10 cups of bread crumbs/bits. Also made a salad.

*Soaking a crockpot full of mixed beans - will freeze in bags and use in various dishes

*Made a loaf of sourdough bread for lunch - so yummy!

*Made a chili for tomorrow - will be out all afternoon at an appointment for a kid and don't want to be picking up fast food in desperation

*Drank a whole pot of Earl Grey at home - who needs a coffee shop?!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8570 on: March 22, 2017, 01:43:28 AM »
The last 3 laundries I washed were hang on a rack in the bathroom. The weather is not good enough to hang them outside, but as we warm up the bathroom anyway, this is a good place, with the door on a small gap for ventilation. One full machine load fits exactly onto the rack.

I have also started to remove telephone loaders from the socket when they are not in use. Just in case they use electricity when inactive.

As every day, we still have the central heating on 18C and make the house warm by burning firewood from our own garden.

Our cars use compartment heating in the winter. The primary car also has a motor warmer, that ensures that the motor burns cleaner and lives longer. I decided that it was now warm enough to not warm up the 2 compartments anymore. The motor warmer may continue for another few weeks, but I'll turn if off as soon as I can.

My husband turned off the service pipe heating. Unfortunately this pipe is laid at a very shallow depth and therefore we need to warm it the whole winter when it is below 0C to prevent our water supply from freezing.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 01:50:49 AM by Linda_Norway »

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8571 on: March 22, 2017, 05:22:56 AM »
The last 3 laundries I washed were hang on a rack in the bathroom. The weather is not good enough to hang them outside, but as we warm up the bathroom anyway, this is a good place, with the door on a small gap for ventilation. One full machine load fits exactly onto the rack.

I have also started to remove telephone loaders from the socket when they are not in use. Just in case they use electricity when inactive.

As every day, we still have the central heating on 18C and make the house warm by burning firewood from our own garden.

Our cars use compartment heating in the winter. The primary car also has a motor warmer, that ensures that the motor burns cleaner and lives longer. I decided that it was now warm enough to not warm up the 2 compartments anymore. The motor warmer may continue for another few weeks, but I'll turn if off as soon as I can.

My husband turned off the service pipe heating. Unfortunately this pipe is laid at a very shallow depth and therefore we need to warm it the whole winter when it is below 0C to prevent our water supply from freezing.

Linda, why do you need to heat both the garage and the car engine? Wouldn't one suffice?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8572 on: March 22, 2017, 06:40:10 AM »

Linda, why do you need to heat both the garage and the car engine? Wouldn't one suffice?

No, I don't heat the garage. We heat up the motor and the car compartments. So now, we turned off the car heaters, but not the motor warmer.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8573 on: March 22, 2017, 08:03:45 AM »
Aha. I thought by "compartment" you might be referring to the garage.

hiker_girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8574 on: March 23, 2017, 12:59:31 PM »
Fought the temptation to go out for Indian food. I was getting tired of my cooking and I started fantasizing about a good curry. I keep a running list of "meals I can make with ingredients at home." Looked at the list and found "ramen with spinach, pork rib, green onions from the garden, and a soft-boiled egg." I think I will have a fancy Japanese meal tonight instead.  :)

Returned a hanging planter to Home Depot. Made one out of an old colander and ribbon.

Forgot to pack lunch for work today. Luckily, I keep frozen breakfast sandwiches in the office kitchen for these emergencies.

Refreshed my Craigslist ad for a new housemate.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8575 on: March 23, 2017, 01:03:05 PM »
-Instead of buying more brussel sprouts (our current go to veggie for roasting), I got a cabbage when they were on sale for St Patrick's Day. $0.33/lb instead of ~$1.97/lb. Having roasted cabbage rounds with lunch.

-Found that I like sambal oelek on fish cakes. This is good, since we have 2 jars to go through. And cheaper than the pesto I like to do =)

-Checked out a book from the library. Combined with a grocery trip, so no extra gas.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8576 on: March 23, 2017, 01:08:24 PM »
Packed breakfast, lunch, and snacks
Last night I made a chicken fried rice with leftovers from our fridge and freezer
Avoided the vending machine (I REALLY want chocolate)

I've started planning DIY gifts for the holidays and hostess gifts for the spring/summer.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #8577 on: March 23, 2017, 03:50:24 PM »
I am ridiculously pleased with my small savings today.

My parents are snowbirds and right before they left in Janauary to go South, I introduced my dad to the game Qwirkle. He loved it and I decided I would get him a copy for his February birthday, well just a few weeks later I found a brand new copy at the thrift store for $3!!! What a score!

My moms birthday is today, before they left my sister got married and I took a picture of my mom and my 13 year old nephew all dressed up and laughing at each other. It is by far one of my favourite family photographs (and I am a photographer, so that says a lot). I didn't send my mom a copy of this picture because I wanted to surprise her. I used a coupon and got a beautiful 8x10 print for $2. I then framed it in a new frame I thrifted. My mom loves photos, this one will make her happy cry!!

Anyway, both presents wrapped in awesome vintage paper I got from the thrift store, with cards and bows I made! They look awesome and I know my parents will be very happy with their gifts. I also got them a free Canada Parks Pass, which is something they would not have been able to figure out how to get online. I tucked it into one of the cards as a bonus.

Not bad for $5, all I have to do now is buy one small strawberry cake (their fave) at the local bakery in my hometown. I'd make one, but they would kill me, they love these specific cakes. :) they just got home so this will be a nice birthday/homecoming celebration for them.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8578 on: March 24, 2017, 01:38:56 AM »
This weekend my DH want to go on a trip and asked me to give input for plans. He mentioned that the weather forecast was looking good, both at home and at our mountain cabin, 5,5 hours driving away.
I suggested to stay close to home and do a canoeing trip in the Oslo fjord and find a wild camping site along the coast or on an island. For this canoe trip, we will need to drive max 80 km instead of 760 km to the cabin and it will save us on not driving a lot of toll roads. But it will be a "summer" trip instead of a weekend skiing. I wrote "summer", because it is still freezing at night. But it can be sunny and 8C on day time.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8579 on: March 24, 2017, 01:48:36 AM »
A "canoeing trip in the Oslo fjord" sounds absolutely wonderful.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8580 on: March 24, 2017, 02:08:09 AM »
A "canoeing trip in the Oslo fjord" sounds absolutely wonderful.

We will not be alone. There live a LOT of people in this area and many of them have a (speed) boat. There are also the big ferries to Denmark with cause high waves. We have an open canoe and need to watch out a bit.
It will be an OK trip, but don't imagine a very romantic quiet trip in a serene area. ;-) That is something we usually do in Sweden a bit later in the year, on some lakes that don't have speed boats. That place is 2 - 2,5 hours driving from our house.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8581 on: March 24, 2017, 10:44:01 AM »
Got a big beautiful salad from Au Bon Pain for free.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8582 on: March 24, 2017, 11:42:00 AM »
* Ate leftovers for lunch and likely will for dinner. All meatless because it's Lent, but also saves money.
* Made homemade sourdough
* Meal planned, made a list, and went to Aldi for only what was on the list.
* Cloth diapers during the day for the kiddo.
* Made a batch of flax seed hair gel since I ran out of store bought gel.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8583 on: March 24, 2017, 12:38:50 PM »
Had a friend over for breakfast instead of meeting her out
Listed an item on eBay
Donated a lot of clothing & got a receipt for tax purposes
Meal planned for the week
Outlined DIY hostess gifts

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8584 on: March 24, 2017, 12:59:39 PM »
Ate some crackers and tea for breakfast/lunch because we didn't meal prep enough food. Meal prepping sucks when one person is working five 12 hour night shifts.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #8585 on: March 24, 2017, 02:07:36 PM »
Intended on going out to meet friends at the park and then swinging by the store on my way home to grab ingredients for a marinade.   Instead, friends met us here, and I came up with a new marinade recipe online that didn't require extra ingredients.  Will have husband grab drinks for our dinner with guests while on the way home from work, but saved the gas and money for the other trip.

Still babysitting...last shift of the "spring break" week.  He comes here though...so no leaving the house for me.

Planning a trip to the farmers market tomorrow morning.  Local pork chops will be on sale -- stocking up!

Had to replace our wireless router...other one went completely kaput and did not respond to several attempts for revival.  Put it on the cash back card at least....

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #8586 on: March 24, 2017, 04:58:28 PM »
Had to be out of the house early (for us) and were pretty rushed as well. Still managed to take breakfast with us instead of eating out. Then when we should have been able to return home, we could not, therefore pushing our home lunch to the curb, or so we thought. Since we both had no real appetite, we lasted the additional hour and had our delicious lunch (leftovers) at home. Sometimes just a little patience yields some real savings, both in the wallet and for our health.

Metalsatsuma1212

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8587 on: March 24, 2017, 04:59:42 PM »
Today I killed our term/whole life insurance policy (we were paying $35 a month for 100,000 in coverage) and replaced it with 1 million for me for $25. It is a little thing.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8588 on: March 24, 2017, 09:41:29 PM »
Put up 15 jars of pickled asparagus.  And then cooked dinner for myself and the friend who came over to help.  He's my 'eating out' friend, but I think I can win him over with homecooked food.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8589 on: March 24, 2017, 11:45:53 PM »
There was discounted beer on the closeout shelves at the supermarket. Rotating inventory is good news for our party next week. Saved $16.

Saved $0.10 bringing my own mug to our monthly Cub Scout planning meeting at Starbucks. Rode my bike to said meeting and brought home a bag of espresso pucks for our earthworms to turn into good soil.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8590 on: March 25, 2017, 01:26:13 AM »
*Made pizza from scratch and Caesar salad for dinner

*Started another double batch of refrigerator dough

*Husband and daughter did groceries from my list

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #8591 on: March 25, 2017, 03:25:15 AM »
Picked up 12 buckets of compost as a freebie from the cities waste disposal. They want to separate trash from compostables because it's cheaper and better for the environment, we'll be using it for the veggie garden so double win for us!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8592 on: March 25, 2017, 03:43:06 AM »
Wen to the movies using one of two Christmas gift cards.

Tale as old as time...

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8593 on: March 25, 2017, 08:59:09 PM »
Wen to the movies using one of two Christmas gift cards.

Tale as old as time...

Us too!   At the concession, DH said "It seems like we aren't paying for anything"..   He forgot how the passes worked.  (We won them before christmas, I guess I don't watch movies as much as I thought we did)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8594 on: March 25, 2017, 10:37:20 PM »
* My boys helped wash and clean out the car! Saved $5 over the drive-through carwash on Wacky Wednesday. (Facepunches for paying for carwashing, I know, I know.)

* Made 8 servings of baby food for the freezer, saving at least $8.

* Added some strawberry tops to a green smoothie, reducing food waste.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #8595 on: March 26, 2017, 02:53:46 PM »
I bought some more glass food storage containers today that were 50% off. I just bought some in January but have found because I am bulk cooking at least one meal a week on Sunday and freezing for quick lunches/dinners I am using a ton of storage dishes. So small investment upfront has saved me a lot in groceries/eating out and I am eating much healthier, not to mention saving cooking time.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8596 on: March 26, 2017, 04:21:55 PM »
* Added some strawberry tops to a green smoothie, reducing food waste.

This is a good idea! I'll throw whole strawberries in there, but I just saved the tops from the strawberries I sliced for tonight's dessert for a smoothie tomorrow.

Lots of really cheap family fun this weekend: bike rides, walks, trips to the playground, and the library.
Bulk cooking so we have lots of leftovers for the week.
Made homemade chorizo using ground pork and spices we already had.
Used gift cards to buy fancy ingredients for a celebratory meal later this week from Whole Foods, and to buy two new trains for our toddler's train set.
Inventoried kid clothes and determined we didn't need to go to the kids' consignment sale this weekend.
Made homemade hair gel using flax seeds.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 04:24:29 PM by frooglepoodle »

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8597 on: March 26, 2017, 06:15:48 PM »
I know it's only Marc, but global warming had us mowing our own yard this weekend, saving the $80-$120 our neighbors pay.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #8598 on: March 27, 2017, 07:24:26 AM »
Spent a cheap weekend outside. Saturday we went to an old ski mountain that is no longer in use. Skin-tracked up and skied back down three times. Went home, napped, got some work done, ate, and went to bed at 9h30.
Sunday we went to a family park with cross-country skiing trails with some friends. Paid 10$ for the entrance fee, and spent the day on the trails. Went by the grocery store to pick up a few items for a BBQ dinner together.
Total weekend spend: 32$
Total weekend fun: way more than that

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8599 on: March 27, 2017, 07:36:37 AM »
This is a few days old (fie on me) but my computer died, and rather than replacing it with a refurbished iMac (the type of computer it was), I built a PC. Between Amazon credits put to valiant use, a used monitor that belongs to my Roommate, and the general cost-savings of building a PC that fits my needs (and not filling it with things I don't need, like a graphics card) versus buying even a refurbished iMac, I saved at least $600. Probably more like $700.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!