Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8029687 times)

LindseyC

• Stubble
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #8400 on: March 02, 2017, 01:14:39 PM »
Another couple of small wins.

Filed my taxes online, found a coupon for 20% off, so I saved a few dollars. My refund while very small was a little bit more then I estimated so that's a surprise bonus!

I buy a specific type of laundry soap (Nellies) in a huge 16.6kg tub that I split with my SO (who doesn't live with me) it lasts each of us about 2.5 years. Last time we bought it a few years ago it was just over 100 dollars, shipped with taxes. Well we aren't quite done, but the price has gone up and I just realized they were having a $20 off sale (rarely happens) so I bought us a new tub for $90 shipped with taxes. So for $45 I have enough soap for the next 2.5 years!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8401 on: March 02, 2017, 01:22:30 PM »
Although I feel really ungrateful for doing it- I'm returning all the "fun to haves" and "isn't this cute" things I got at my baby shower.

I'll rebuy them if it turns out I need them (and price shop and/or look for used), and in the mean time will hang onto the gift card until I figure out what necessities I might still need.

I mean, yeah- the baby would look adorable in that, but I have lots of clothes (way way way too many... I may have a problem when it comes to buying large lots at really really low prices). Or that particular stuffed animal might be amazing, but we'll find out when I get to that stage.  And that changing pad cover is adorable- but I have some hand me downs already...

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8402 on: March 02, 2017, 01:46:49 PM »
* Today in SoCal it's 78*F so getting lots of line-drying done, including the bedsheets.

* Roasted green coffee beans (~$4/lb from Costco) to refill our coffee supply.

* Ate a couple of tangerines right off the tree.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #8403 on: March 02, 2017, 06:08:27 PM »
So I rushed back to the mailroom of my apartment complex, to the little pile where people discard unwanted circulars, and got 5 more.

That is ace. You are my hero.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8404 on: March 02, 2017, 06:11:56 PM »
Packed my lunch this morning.

Nothing special, but I haven't bought lunch at work at all this year.

By my count I'm even beating you, marty998! ;)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8405 on: March 02, 2017, 06:37:46 PM »
Noticed my apples rang up too high. Turns out, the bin was mixed, and 2/4 were a more expensive variety. $2.99/lb. Uhhhhh NO, what I was buying was $1.29/lb! So I went back, swapped those two out, and saved a couple bucks. Worth it. (We won't discuss the $$$$$ in wine I was also buying on the trip, hahaha- although to my credit some of it is box wine, so... frugal?)

Shopped around before going to get my passport photo, so it was $8.99 instead of the $12-14 most places charged. (I know there are apps, etc, but I don't trust those, I don't have time to risk it getting rejected!)

Followed through on my "free return" option for the bras that didn't fit.

Combined trips: UPS store, bank, grocery store, pharmacy, Buy Nothing pickup, all in one outing.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8406 on: March 02, 2017, 06:43:56 PM »
I saved someone else money. Got a limited time free meal at Huhot. It expires before I deliver and that type of restaurant is too hard to do with gestational diabetes. So a friend used my phone number to get a free meal that I couldn't.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8407 on: March 02, 2017, 11:49:55 PM »

Yep doing much better than me. I've had to buy lunch twice :/

Still, they are really really good burgers at the coffee shop.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8408 on: March 03, 2017, 12:58:27 AM »

Yep doing much better than me. I've had to buy lunch twice :/

Still, they are really really good burgers at the coffee shop.

On am also doing well at bringing lunch. In the beginning of the year, when I just started, I still bought lunch at work once a week. Now my lunch vouches are used up and I haven't bought new ones. I have been eating homemade lunch for 2 weeks in a row now.
I must have saved a lot now, for 8 weeks eating my own lunch 4 to 5 days a week.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8409 on: March 03, 2017, 05:24:48 AM »
Paid for a year's car insurance upfront, for a discount.

Sought multiple quotes first - the one we chose was half the price of the most expensive one!

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #8410 on: March 03, 2017, 06:39:21 AM »
Although I feel really ungrateful for doing it- I'm returning all the "fun to haves" and "isn't this cute" things I got at my baby shower.

I'll rebuy them if it turns out I need them (and price shop and/or look for used), and in the mean time will hang onto the gift card until I figure out what necessities I might still need.

I mean, yeah- the baby would look adorable in that, but I have lots of clothes (way way way too many... I may have a problem when it comes to buying large lots at really really low prices). Or that particular stuffed animal might be amazing, but we'll find out when I get to that stage.  And that changing pad cover is adorable- but I have some hand me downs already...

I don't blame you a bit. It makes my eye twitch a little bit when I go to baby showers and the mom-to-be is gifted a ton of newborn size clothes and newborn size diapers. I'm always thinking to myself that god forbid the baby is big because it won't even be able to fit into any of that. I always try to gift 3-6 month size diapers.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8411 on: March 03, 2017, 07:31:13 AM »

I don't blame you a bit. It makes my eye twitch a little bit when I go to baby showers and the mom-to-be is gifted a ton of newborn size clothes and newborn size diapers. I'm always thinking to myself that god forbid the baby is big because it won't even be able to fit into any of that. I always try to gift 3-6 month size diapers.

Extremely wise.  To me, stuffed animals are the worst gifts... take up space, collect dust (which triggers asthma in my household), not played with very much, and hard to get rid of because they have faces (Kids: "Nooooo!! You can't give Peter Panda away! He'll be scared!!!")  When I was a young parent, I much would rather have had the money for a babysitter, a decent baby carrier, or some cloth diapers. 

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #8412 on: March 03, 2017, 07:39:13 AM »
I sent my nephew and his wife a huge package of newborn diapers through Amazon. They sent me a heartwarming thank-you. (You could almost see tear stains on the email.) It turned out they were horrifically sleep deprived and fresh out of diapers, and this giant box magically appeared on their doorstep.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8413 on: March 03, 2017, 08:06:53 AM »
That's a great story, pbkmaine!

I used to work in child development circles, and got to hear the perspectives of developmental therapists, OT's, SLP's and behaviour therapists about stuffed animals.  They weren't our staff's favourite toys, mainly because many of the parents we worked with were not sure what to do with them - my understanding is that they are most helpful as toys when the parents help the children interact with them.  Here's a couple of articles I found quickly, that give examples.

http://www.whattoexpect.com/playroom/playtime-tips/babies-and-stuffed-animals.aspx
http://www.parents.com/toddlers-preschoolers/development/social/stuffed-animals/

And a final one about stuffed animals and safety:
http://www.whattoexpect.com/playroom/playtime-tips/stuffed-toys-safety.aspx

And, to get things back on topic:

Yesterday, I was looking at the bottle of lotion on my bedside table.  I like to keep one there because my hands are often dry, so I like to put some on before I go to bed. 

Pros:  It sinks in quickly and leaves my hands not greasy. 
Cons:  It's cheap, smells too strong, and has a screw on cap instead of a pump.

Frankly, I haven't been using it, so I was trying to decide whether to throw it out and switch out for another bottle of lotion that I have in my stash.

Instead, I found a partial bottle of another lotion that I like better and that was in a pump bottle, and combined them in proportions that I was happy with.  Bonus - the other lotion left my hands a bit greasy, and now it doesn't!  And I will actually use it.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8414 on: March 03, 2017, 08:11:05 AM »

I used to work in child development circles, and got to hear the perspectives of developmental therapists, OT's, SLP's and behaviour therapists about stuffed animals.  They weren't our staff's favourite toys, mainly because many of the parents we worked with were not sure what to do with them - my understanding is that they are most helpful as toys when the parents help the children interact with them.  Here's a couple of articles I found quickly, that give examples.

http://www.whattoexpect.com/playroom/playtime-tips/babies-and-stuffed-animals.aspx
http://www.parents.com/toddlers-preschoolers/development/social/stuffed-animals/

Yesterday, I was looking at the bottle of lotion on my bedside table.  I like to keep one there because my hands are often dry, so I like to put some on before I go to bed. 

Frankly, I haven't been using it, so I was trying to decide whether to throw it out and switch out for another bottle of lotion that I have in my stash.

Instead, I found a partial bottle of another lotion that I like better and that was in a pump bottle, and combined them in proportions that I was happy with.  Bonus - the other lotion left my hands a bit greasy, and now it doesn't!  And I will actually use it.

Pump bottles are great for saving money. I have my sunblock in a pump bottle by my sink. It dispenses exactly the right amount, so there's no waste. Sunblock is absolutely necessary for Florida, and seeing it there means I use it every day.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8415 on: March 03, 2017, 08:11:36 AM »

Pump bottles are great for saving money. I have my sunblock in a pump bottle by my sink. It dispenses exactly the right amount, so there's no waste. Sunblock is absolutely necessary for Florida, and seeing it there means I use it every day.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8416 on: March 03, 2017, 08:20:14 AM »
Exactly, pbkmaine.  Plus, I often forget to put on the lotion before I get in bed, and I'll be lying there trying to fall asleep and thinking that my hands feel dry, but fussing with the bottle and cap is not going to happen.  So this way, I'll actually use it!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8417 on: March 03, 2017, 08:24:39 AM »
I sent my nephew and his wife a huge package of newborn diapers through Amazon. They sent me a heartwarming thank-you. (You could almost see tear stains on the email.) It turned out they were horrifically sleep deprived and fresh out of diapers, and this giant box magically appeared on their doorstep.

I have one box of newborn diapers, but with couponing I've been stocking up on 1-4s.  I'll get more NB when I know if my daughter wears that size at all.

But a magical diaper delivery sounds like heaven.

(The stuffed animal I returned was one of the leap frog ones that knows your kids name and asks them questions and stuff. I actually only got one regular stuffed animal, which was impressive.  But I can always buy the fancy one again- it's only like $15 if we need a toy when she is older.)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #8418 on: March 03, 2017, 10:11:11 AM »
Awhile I go I ordered a pair of soccer cleats for my son who wears a size 17. As you can imagine there not cheap BUT I found a company that Starts at size 15 and there prices were good and they claimed to offer no hassel refunds.  We have had problems for the last couple years since he was a size 14 and its only gotten worse. Anyhow, he got them, tried them on at an indoor practice for one hour and they just didnt fit. Put them in the box and returned them. They sent an email and said they could not r.efund them and they will send them back. In the meantime I had ordered another pair because we needed them for a tournament. Well I sent them a nice email about there pledge on returns and described all he did was try them on for an hour and indoor (no way did these shoes look worn in fact they looked the way we got them). They didnt respond. I got them back and yea..was just livid. So i re-read there return policy and sent them an email about the things that I felt they needed to change in there false advertising. Never heard from them but got a full credit that appeared on my card via mint.  He will be able to use the cleats just fine but will need to let them break in a little longer is all. Power of the pen and something I don't usually do BUT this cleat thing has stressed us out the last couple of years. Glad it will be his college problem next year. We have even tried a cobbler stiching them to make stronger to no prevail. arghhh...

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8419 on: March 03, 2017, 10:57:09 AM »
I combined a whole bunch of errands into one trip, despite the hassle of having to get my toddler in and out of the car several times.

I picked up a new pair of running shoes for my DH since his were falling apart and the running store was having a 25% off sale. I'm cautiously hopeful that they will help with some foot pain he has been experiencing.

I'm making vegetarian enchiladas for dinner tonight. Fish may be traditional for Fridays in Lent, but vegetables are cheaper.

thedigitalone

• Stubble
« Reply #8420 on: March 03, 2017, 11:14:59 AM »
Earlier this week in the forums someone mentioned that Fidelity and Schwab were lowering trade commissions from $9.95 per trade down to $4.95, so I started looking into moving my accounts over. 

It occurred to me that my current brokerage optionsXpress might want to retain my business so I sent an email that took me 30 seconds to compose, they replied back within an hour matching the $4.95 rate AND threw in 5 free trades!

Nice, one email saved me almost $50 in trades (Well, $25 at the new rate) and half the rate going forward.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8421 on: March 03, 2017, 01:46:27 PM »
* Rode my bike to run an errand instead of taking out the car.
* Canceled Netflix.

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #8422 on: March 03, 2017, 03:41:04 PM »
Canceled Netflix because I'm paying for Amazon prime anyway. They have a yuge selection.
Did this a couple of months ago, but also switched to Amazon music which is included with prime membership as well. With that and podcasts, never run out of interesting sounds to listen to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8423 on: March 03, 2017, 04:24:30 PM »
Went into the store for the loss leaders and didn't buy anything else.

(box of ice cream, a dozen eggs, and a pound of strawberries for $2.46.)

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8424 on: March 03, 2017, 06:50:11 PM »
hubs and I wre about to set off to go treat ourself to burgers out, after doing frugal feb really well. Car had a flat, donut is squishy, and the stupid jack is somehow stuck in the holder thing! Who did that!?>>>
Well, just came inside joined triple A, was going to anyway for a big trip, and had tuna on toast for dinner.
So didn't get fancy burgers and will call triple A in the mornin.
ah

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8425 on: March 03, 2017, 08:26:02 PM »
My DH and I were supposed to go out for dinner with friends, but we decided to stay in and enjoy a quiet evening at home.  Tomorrow is grocery day, so we had a bit of a weird meal.  However, we're now watching a movie while our dog sleeps on the floor in front of us.  Perfection!

I also packed my lunch and made tea at home.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8426 on: March 04, 2017, 08:04:00 AM »
Last night we went camping in the local forest, about 5 km driving from our house. You don't need to travel far and burn lots of fuel for a camping trip. We made a meal on a camp fire instead of on the stove.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8427 on: March 04, 2017, 12:35:48 PM »
I am pretty sure I posted this same thing, like, a year ago, but then forgot to do it again.

I have a partial bag of icing sugar in my cupboard.  It has been there a long while - I think I inherited it from a friend who was moving far away and getting rid of lots of food stuff not worth shipping. I don't make icing, but sugar doesn't go bad. 

So, I have started (again) mixing a little bit of the icing sugar with regular white sugar in my sugar bowl.  I use one small tsp of sugar in my tea and coffee, so one tiny spoon at a time, I am going to get that used up!  It will also help delay my need to buy more sugar, just a little bit, as I am running low.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8428 on: March 04, 2017, 02:14:11 PM »
* Brought home the guinea-pig bedding from preschool to mulch our pomegranate seedling.

* Took reusable mug w me to coffeeshop date, saving $0.10.

* Roasted a series of Brussels sprouts, kabocha pumpkin and walnuts, using oven heat efficiently and prepping for week ahead.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 10:40:28 PM by jengod »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8429 on: March 04, 2017, 03:36:53 PM »
Got a big kit from our energy counsel! Free shower head, 8 LED standard bulbs, 4 can light style LEDs, a faucet nozzle, and some plumbers tape. All provided free =) I ordered it from their website a couple months ago when getting a rebate for our thermostat! Always worth checking if you energy company has these programs! DH already swapped out for the water saving shower head, so we'll give that a try.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8430 on: March 04, 2017, 11:30:45 PM »
*Today I was super tired and did not want to make dinner - but I pushed through and made pancakes (from homemade mix found on Six Figures Under - fabulous recipe!) and Farmer's Sausage. Hubby wanted to go pick up grocery store sushi but I convinced him that we could make dinner together instead.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8431 on: March 05, 2017, 09:16:45 AM »
Today I went cross country skiing. We don't have ski in ski out from our house, but I didn't feel like using the car. But this time I took on skis and went a few km over roads that were cleared for snow, occasionally taking the skis of when too much gravel on the roads. Then I went a few km over a non prepared forest trail and again over an asphalt road. After 6 km I was in the prepared track and went skiing. Back the same way without car. This gave me good conscience.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 11:38:05 PM by Linda_Norway »

cookielover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8432 on: March 05, 2017, 11:04:54 AM »
Mr. CL and I are ski lovers.  We were ready to go to ski today.  But I woke up this morning with back pain, that time of month.  We decided to stay home relaxing instead.  That definitely saves us money, even though I would rather go to ski.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 11:06:37 AM by cookielover »

tc_traveler86

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8433 on: March 05, 2017, 01:03:12 PM »
Handywoman to the rescue!
Moving soon, and the landlord had noticed a couple broken slats in the plastic blinds (jerk of a cat would push through the blinds to see out side) and asked/told us to fix before we left- He said not to worry, they were only $10 at Home Depot.
It just seemed wasteful to toss an otherwise functional blind set for want of 4 broken slats... so I googled the problem, and half an hour later, the blinds are fixed enough. 
Its only $20, but we have the wedding and a cross-country move to a HCOL area in the next 3 weeks, so every little bit helps!
Bonus- I really impressed my fiancé, he thinks of himself as the handyman, but outright said I handled the fix faster and better than he would have :)

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8434 on: March 05, 2017, 01:42:09 PM »
My container of brown sugar is rock solid throughout, and now that I'm cooking and even baking more again, I need it!  I have one of those little ceramic stones that's supposed to keep it soft, but it had been well buried in there, and the sugar eventually set around it.  It took me 24 hours with a little wet piece of paper towel, on a little foil "bowl" to soften the surface enough to dig out the ceramic disc.  Another 24 hours, and maybe a 1/4 of the sugar has softened.  At this rate, it will take me several days of re-wetting the stone and maintaining it, to get the whole thing loose enough to use, but it's a start. 

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8435 on: March 05, 2017, 02:26:32 PM »
My container of brown sugar is rock solid throughout, and now that I'm cooking and even baking more again, I need it!  I have one of those little ceramic stones that's supposed to keep it soft, but it had been well buried in there, and the sugar eventually set around it.  It took me 24 hours with a little wet piece of paper towel, on a little foil "bowl" to soften the surface enough to dig out the ceramic disc.  Another 24 hours, and maybe a 1/4 of the sugar has softened.  At this rate, it will take me several days of re-wetting the stone and maintaining it, to get the whole thing loose enough to use, but it's a start.

http://www.thekitchn.com/4-ways-to-soften-brown-sugar-and-keep-it-that-way-195922

My Mom lost her terra cotta disc, so her sugar was a huge lump.  I think she used the bread method from this site.  I have used the microwave one, with reasonable results.

marion10

• Bristles
« Reply #8436 on: March 05, 2017, 04:50:35 PM »
Made a really nice posole (hominy stew) with leftover chicken and pork. Made the stock myself from chicken carcasses.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8437 on: March 06, 2017, 11:14:03 AM »
This weekend a couple of friends told me about a program where unsold last-minute tickets at a very expensive concert venue can be had for $10 apiece. I tried it on Saturday and got an $85 ticket for $10. The place where you get them is right on my way home from work, and next door to a grocery store I frequently stop at, so it will be extremely easy to take advantage of this in the future.

Also: pushing myself all weekend to eat food I already had instead of going grocery shopping or eating out. But I think I have to go to the store tonight as I'm out of so many staples/basic food groups.

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #8438 on: March 06, 2017, 11:29:08 AM »
FINALLY got the paperwork to change my husband's life insurance from "smoker" to "nonsmoker" saving me $30/month ...

BobTheBuilder

• Stubble
« Reply #8439 on: March 06, 2017, 12:02:57 PM »
Changed my car's tyres from winter to summer with the help of my father. Always nice to work with him :-) Since I bought my Hyundai i30 (2008 model) last May, the dealer stored the winter tyres during last summer, but I did not want to pay this winter's storage and my parents had storage space as they do not use 2 cars any longer.

So saved around 50€ in service and storage and most importantly realized that the tools in my trunk do NOT match the nuts of of my tyres! I did not check this before, imagine my stupid face if I had tried to change a tyre on the roadside... Additional benefit: lesson learned. Check everything. Always.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8440 on: March 06, 2017, 05:22:17 PM »
FINALLY got the paperwork to change my husband's life insurance from "smoker" to "nonsmoker" saving me $30/month ...

I tried that last month.  They replied that even though he has been a non-smoker for 15 years, he had cancer (not lung cancer) so no discount. 

Today I used my dollar store keurig reusable cup, did a grocery store mystery shop and hit the library.  I also made a turkey veggie soup from a bunch of leftover bits and pieces - couple soft carrots, handful of kale, 4 fingerling potatoes, 1/2 soft bell pepper, broccoli stems I forgot to use in a salad, 2 onions that were starting to go soft, turkey from the carcass after making stock as well as a couple things I found in the freezer - a cup of coconut milk, a bit of turkey gravy, last of a bag of corn and last of a bag of peas.  I'm amazed both at the number of things I threw in there as well as how good it tasted!   

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8441 on: March 06, 2017, 06:01:10 PM »
This was an accidental one... complained to a food blogger I like, because they posted a recipe that was basically a "buy my spices" feeling money grab (like, it was pretty much 'shave brussel sprouts, then add my spice mix! Total BS and not their usual level of quality). They apologized, modified the recipe, and are sending me a pack of samples of all their spices! =o I made sure to thank them and tell them their usual stuff is wonderful. I still feel a little guilty for moaning though, haha.

Continuing to save money by using a free running program. The NHS released a podcast series for the couch to 5k runs, so it's really easy to use. While I could use a little less Welsh rap, it's pretty good. And you can't beat the price!

Bought a Bota Box when we new we wanted to do some solid drinking with friends. =) The Old Vine Zin is pretty good, and it's easy to share with friends as a millenial- we just play up the environmental benefits of the packaging, and everyone is happy.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #8442 on: March 06, 2017, 08:14:46 PM »
This was an accidental one... complained to a food blogger I like, because they posted a recipe that was basically a "buy my spices" feeling money grab (like, it was pretty much 'shave brussel sprouts, then add my spice mix! Total BS and not their usual level of quality). They apologized, modified the recipe, and are sending me a pack of samples of all their spices! =o I made sure to thank them and tell them their usual stuff is wonderful. I still feel a little guilty for moaning though, haha.

The first hit is always free :-) It's probably pure Doritos spice, which will keep you coming back for more.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8443 on: March 06, 2017, 09:16:02 PM »
Bought hair gel at target. Stacked cartwheel, a coupon and a coupon app and after tax I made 1 cent :). If I didn't need debit card swipes I could have used my red card too.

Also used a coupon deal plus cartwheel plus Giftcards rebate to get 4 bottles of the scrubbing bubbles cleaner for about the  cost of 1 bottle.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8444 on: March 07, 2017, 02:42:09 AM »

This was a nice reaction from them.
We sometimes buy good quality apple juice from a small producer. Once there was a lot of residue in the pack, so much that we complained to the producer about it. For our complaint, we were also rewarded by getting 5 new packs of juice with different tastes from them, delivered on the door step. Complaining with a good cause sometimes pays off. Producers and bloggers care about their reputation.

Vicster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8445 on: March 07, 2017, 03:20:25 AM »
Cancelled Audible subscription and signed up for free audio books from library
Cancelled YNAB
Going to have leftovers for lunch and dinner
Will do some more stuff but only 10 am here.

tc_traveler86

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8446 on: March 07, 2017, 06:41:25 AM »
Great to read about everyone's small victories.
My 'pantry-anarchy' continues- throw together recipes trying to use up as much as possible before moving cross country.
Made meat sauce and only had to buy a small tin of crushed tomatoes!  Used up 2 cans of tomato soup, random freezer veggies, shredded cheese, 1/2 lb of frozen ground beef, pasta, and some excess onion and carrot.  Based on a suggestion I think heard here, I shredded the carrot for extra volume in the sauce.  I was home, so I let it simmer all afternoon to create a beautiful rich sauce!
Semi- saving/ semi spending money- bought a frozen pizza while at the store.  In my defense, I plan on pulling it out when SO and I are too tired from packing to cook, and we have the impulse to order in. (Being organized to have a freezer pizza on hand has helped stopped us from the dreaded "I dunno what to do about dinner, lets eat out" many times before.)

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8447 on: March 07, 2017, 07:02:22 AM »
Let's see -  in the past week I bargained down my $20 a month subscription to the NYT to $7.50 a month, I stopped my encroaching habit of buying coffees out in the morning, I made a very delicious and economical chicken thigh dinner which should last 3-4 meals. 

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #8448 on: March 07, 2017, 08:17:48 AM »
I have a steam mop that works fine except for one problem. The washable pads are held on to the bottom with velcro and the velcro stopped sticking after about 6 months. So every time I lifted the mop up to reposition I had to manually position it on the pad again.

I thought about adding ties but the top of the mop is dome-shaped so they would not stay on. Finally settled on a hole on each side of the pad and a bungie cord that hooks in to one hole, goes around the handle, and hooks in to the other hole on the other side of the pad. Had the bungie cord already so $0 fix vs. $60 replacement mop.

rebecca527

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8449 on: March 07, 2017, 09:50:03 AM »
Husband is out of town for work, and sometimes when he's away I like to get myself some sort of takeout that he doesn't like.

Instead, I'm eating up all the leftovers in the fridge and freezer. Yay me.