Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8029790 times)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #8350 on: February 22, 2017, 03:25:26 PM »
Used Amazon's "BIGTHANKS" coupon code to get $8 and change off a gift card to a grocery store I like, using Amazon credit I'd bought when trying to meet a minimum credit card spend.

cool, just used this coupon code too!
Was so annoying though trying to get things that were eligible. ahh

Doesn't it just need to be $50? Am I missing a requirement?

There were some eligibility requirements, e.g. it can't be an Amazon gift card. I didn't read the whole thing since I knew what I wanted and it worked fine.

ETA: the list

"Offer expires at 11:59 p.m. (PT) 2/22/2017.
    Offer only applies to products sold by Amazon.com.
    Offer does not apply to digital content, video games, or Amazon Gift Cards.
    Offer does not apply to orders placed through Alexa, Prime Now, Amazon Restaurants, or any mobile application other than the Amazon Shopping App.
    Offer limited to one per customer and account.
    Offer may not be combined with other offers.
    Items must be purchased in a single order and shipped at the same speed to a single address.
    Taxes, shipping and handling, and gift wrap charges do not apply when determining minimum purchase amount.
    Shipping charges and taxes may apply to discounted promotional items.
    Offer is non-transferable and may not be resold.
    Offer discount will be allocated proportionally among all promotional items in your order.
    If any of the products or content related to this offer are returned, your refund will equal the amount you paid for the product or content, subject to applicable refund policies.
    If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid.
    Amazon reserves the right to modify or cancel the offer at any time."

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #8351 on: February 22, 2017, 04:26:04 PM »
This weekend I used Uber for the first time for $8.55.  They emailed me a code for $20 for a friend's first Uber ride, so DH used that for a free ride to the airport yesterday, and they sent me a $15 off code for the referral.  I'll be needing to take a car a few times on an upcoming vacation, so this will cover most of that.

Bowed out of going to happy hour for National Margarita Day today.  Too much food and alcohol at home needing to be consumed and I didn't really feel like hanging out in a noisy restaurant anyway.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #8352 on: February 22, 2017, 04:32:25 PM »
A local drug store is having a promotion this week, spend $30 get a $10 GC. I found an early copy of their flyer online and checked out what was on sale. I need some toiletries and household items, so I figured out a plan to spend $32 for items I need on sale, using coupons. The gift card will give me another 33% off, as long as I don't spend more than the $10 when I use it. 

About 5 minutes of effort on my lunch break, pretty good savings I think.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8353 on: February 22, 2017, 04:38:32 PM »
-Signed up for a couple genetic studies relating to fertility. If I'm accepted and fill out the questionnaires, I'll get $110 from one and $75 from the other.

-Rode my bike to the library to check out a book. Double mustache points.

-Using old bananas to make 2-ingredient cookies. http://www.theburlapbag.com/2012/07/2-ingredient-cookies-plus-the-mix-ins-of-your-choice/

-Trader Joe's got some nice new cards in, so I bought 4 for various upcoming events- 2 birthdays, a baby, and a wedding. $0.99/card, love their cards.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8354 on: February 22, 2017, 05:49:38 PM »
There must be a glut of old bananas - like Bracken Joy I needed to use up old bananas (7). Double batch of banana bread in the oven now!

Erma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8355 on: February 23, 2017, 02:29:41 AM »
Bought milk, eggs and potatoes at the farm shop. I calculated that this is 25% cheaper then at the grocery store and I know where it is from. Also I won't have to carry those items later when I will go to the grocery store for the rest on my list.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8356 on: February 23, 2017, 10:23:19 AM »
Packing snacks and sandwiches for our flight this evening. 
Used up most of the perishable food items before our trip

rebecca527

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8357 on: February 23, 2017, 11:04:09 AM »
Husband biked to work today, which means our single car is available for my use during the day for a change. So, I went and bought all the groceries we'll need through the beginning of next week today, because my favorite grocery store (already the cheapest place around by far for produce & dry goods) offers an extra 5% off everything on Tuesdays & Thursdays, I guess to get people to come in on slow days. Going to finish February averaging about $3.50 per meal for the two of us!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8358 on: February 24, 2017, 01:22:59 AM »
My 11 year old son put down a hardcover novel he was reading from the library on something sticky on the counter. Hours later, when we lifted it up, the page stuck and a chunk of it stuck to the counter. I carefully removed it and used clear packing tape to verrrrry carefully tape the chunk back on, aligning it almost perfectly.

Today, we took the book back and we showed the page to the librarian (honesty is the best policy...smile) and she showed it to her supervisor and they both agreed that the repair was excellent and that they wouldn't charge us for the book and returned it into circulation.

Since it's a brand new book, it would have been expensive! I just looked it up and its $17.99 on Amazon now, so the price has come down a bit, but I'm so happy! It was a win/win ... didn't have to pay for the book and taught my son a good lesson.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8359 on: February 24, 2017, 03:21:57 AM »
Brought lunch from home even on a Friday. All previous Fridays I spent a lunch on myself in the cafeteria at work. Not today.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8360 on: February 24, 2017, 10:17:08 AM »
Well done, Linda!  Now you've broken the habit, and maybe you'll do that again, at least occasionally.  :-)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #8361 on: February 24, 2017, 01:22:34 PM »
Planned to go to the Newseum for my last weekend here in DC and complained to a Mustachian co-worker about ticket prices.  She emailed me a source for $8 off the ticket.  Score one for whining.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #8362 on: February 24, 2017, 01:31:46 PM »
I requested a free pack of wildflower seeds to support bee life. I usually plant a section of windflowers in my hard, so this will save a few dollars.

I realized today I have a massive amount of yard projects to do this year, but in the spring I also work an insane amount of overtime so I am hoping I can use some of the "extra" money to accomplish some of my yard plans. I'm also very lucky that I got two free rain barrels last fall so will be able to avoid any additional water costs by setting them up as soon as I can.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8363 on: February 24, 2017, 02:45:05 PM »
We had 20-year-old beige carpet in our walk-in closet. I replaced it with these carpet squares:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Versatile-Assorted-Pattern-Commercial-24-in-x-24-in-Carpet-Tile-10-Tiles-Case-NCVT002/204594243

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8364 on: February 25, 2017, 12:57:29 AM »
Sold some old winter wear today and made $60. Used it to buy some groceries and had an ice cream sundae party for the kids!

MissPiggy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Earnest Addiction - A Millennial's Journey to FIRE
« Reply #8365 on: February 25, 2017, 05:51:57 AM »
Saved $20 on a book on minimalism by finding a free copy online!

Friday night worked overtime instead of going out on so saved $$. Went out for coffee Saturday morning instead of the usual breakfast so spent $7 instead of $45 for Mr. Piggybanks and myself. Had breakfast at home and stayed at home all day. Sydney weather is a bit glum and rainy this weekend so will stay in tomorrow as well and eat my way through the fridge.

Also bulk-cooked last weekend so have a stock-pile of frozen laksa and green curry lunches to last me through the working week!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8366 on: February 25, 2017, 07:28:27 AM »
Shopped veggies on my way home from work, so that we didn't need to shop in the weekend.
Today I went for a walk in the forest. I chose a walk from home instead of driving anywhere and using fuel. Brought own lunch and warm drink.

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #8367 on: February 25, 2017, 10:58:12 AM »
Went to the library this morning with the kiddos. We all got some great new books. Staying at home besides that. It's kind of cold and dreary here. I'm catching up on some grading, cleaning and doing laundry. My husband is fixing some furniture and taking care of the animals.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8368 on: February 25, 2017, 11:25:15 AM »
Continued experimenting with the sous vide thingamabob.  Cheap, good steaks from chuck.  :)

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8369 on: February 25, 2017, 07:07:20 PM »
Had a class at school today.  Instead of going out to lunch I pulled out a frozen meal that I got on sale for $1.75 and had that and a can of green beans.  Cheap, filling, quick and easy.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8370 on: February 25, 2017, 07:27:22 PM »
Filled up the cars together so we could get the full 20 gallons the fuel saver rewards allowed...58 cents off per gallon.

Took home tons of sandwich meat leftovers from my baby shower. Should be enough for a week.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8371 on: February 25, 2017, 08:40:58 PM »
In the past couple days:

I didn't buy $50 on Amazon to get 8 off.  I combed through my lists and had plenty of wants but not enough needs. I was sad though, I had just bought toilet paper or I might have stocked up.

I did however order several swimsuits from target. Hoping one fits. Will see. Their returns are easy and I decided to start early while there are many options.  This is supposed to save me money because I'll find one that fits and not buy one in a panic the day I need it, then buy another... and another... because none of them fit.

Sewed a pair of jeans into skinny jeans.

Sewed a thrifted sheet into pillowcases, including one to fit my body pillow.

Picked up free items at Kroger and got a pile of discounted fruits. Bananas for 38c a pound. Apples 6 and oranges 6 for 99c. Woohoo. Was also thrilled when the register printed out some coupons for products I actually buy.

As usual, walked to the grocery. I am getting a lot of use out of my travel backpack. Groceries, laundry. It makes carrying a load easy.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8372 on: February 26, 2017, 08:44:48 AM »
Sent out baby shower thank you notes using postcards instead of note cards.  Saved money on the cards and the stamps :)

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8373 on: February 26, 2017, 08:46:13 AM »
Sent out baby shower thank you notes using postcards instead of note cards.  Saved money on the cards and the stamps :)

And killed 1/3 the number of trees!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8374 on: February 26, 2017, 01:51:00 PM »
Found some sprouted red onions in the cupboard. Went to the garden to plant them and in the process discovered and dug up about a pound and a half of potatoes.

Discovered some gopher damaged plants. Pulled the spent plants and collected some beetle grubs to feed the chickens.

Made lamb stock from leftover lamb bones and veggie scraps; made chicken stock from leftover chicken carcass.

Didn't go out to eat after a 5k run this morning; came home and ate freebie yogurts from the run plus toads-in-a-hole using our home eggs.

Line-dried two loads yesterday. Continued cloth diapering and experimenting with "elimination communication" for poop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8375 on: February 26, 2017, 01:51:31 PM »
Found some sprouted red onions in the cupboard. Went to the garden to plant them and in the process discovered and dug up about a pound and a half of potatoes.

Discovered some gopher damaged plants. Pulled the spent plants and collected some beetle grubs to feed the chickens.

Made lamb stock from leftover lamb bones and veggie scraps; made chicken stock from leftover chicken carcass.

Didn't go out to eat after a 5k run this morning; came home and ate freebie yogurts from the run plus toads-in-a-hole using our home eggs.

Line-dried two loads yesterday. Continued cloth diapering and experimenting with "elimination communication" for poop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnswerIs42

• Stubble
« Reply #8376 on: February 26, 2017, 05:19:33 PM »
I replaced the chain, and the rear derailleur and hanger, on my bike; and re-indexed the gears. Thanks for the instructions, YouTube :)

rebecca527

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8377 on: February 26, 2017, 07:49:10 PM »
We had a clean-out-the-fridge salad for lunch - lettuce, cucumber, grated carrot (extra from the chicken we roasted last week), and red onion, topped off with leftover falafel from last night. Yum! And the last tiny bit of carrot went into our bag of scraps for soup stock. No food waste in *this* house!

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8378 on: February 26, 2017, 09:00:38 PM »
Went to Starbucks to hang with some friends.  Brought my Starbucks Travel Mug from home, filled with yummy Coconut Latte made at home by me :) 

Also, spent zero at restaurants the entire week. 

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8379 on: February 26, 2017, 09:25:39 PM »
I've been pretty ill for the last few days and resisted the very strong temptation to have some food delivered. (Pretty much the only time I ever get delivery is when I'm miserably sick.) I also resisted going to the expensive grocery store down the street to get 'easy' food (prepared foods, frozen dinners, etc.). I haven't actually spent a penny since Thursday.

Hoping I feel better tomorrow because a diet of eggs, pantry staples and frozen vegetables is getting old :-)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8380 on: February 27, 2017, 05:07:32 AM »
I've been pretty ill for the last few days and resisted the very strong temptation to have some food delivered. (Pretty much the only time I ever get delivery is when I'm miserably sick.) I also resisted going to the expensive grocery store down the street to get 'easy' food (prepared foods, frozen dinners, etc.). I haven't actually spent a penny since Thursday.

Hoping I feel better tomorrow because a diet of eggs, pantry staples and frozen vegetables is getting old :-)

I hope you get better soon.

Make sure you freeze in left over food when you have it. Or make extra big portions on some days to create left overs. Label it with date and content and keep it in the freezer for those days that you don't want to cook.

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #8381 on: February 27, 2017, 06:49:45 AM »
Did some shopping yesterday almost entirely in gift cards. Stopped by Barnes and Noble as I'd heard they were having a clearance sale. Bought two books for $8 with a Christmas gift card, still have $7 left on it.

Went to Target after that and bought three sticks of my husband's deodorant since it was buy 3 get a $5 gift card. Bought him hair gel with a 10% of Cartwheel, and picked up the LED bulbs I need for my bathroom that have been burned out for weeks but I refused to buy without a sale. I used a 5% Cartwheel for those. I had $31 left on a Target gift card I was given for Christmas. After all the gift cards and sales, I spent .55 yesterday :)

I also picked up the Groupon deal for $5 for a $10 Target gift card last week. Target currently has $15 of a $50 home purchase (includes things like toilet paper) so I will probably combine those sales this week to stock up.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #8382 on: February 27, 2017, 07:30:19 AM »
Yesterday I was tempted to take my SO for dinner because he has been helping me while I was not feeling well (we don't live together) instead to avoid breaking my no eating out streak I made him a delicious dinner. Shepherds pie with a ton of vegetables (including turnip in the mashed potato topping which was delicious) and a beet slaw salad, with almonds, goat cheese and homemade dressing.

I made enough of the pie to use as my lunch all week. The beets were a 5lb bag for $2.49 which I cooked and froze the majority of. I also used up a ton of frozen veggies in the pie, so I am continuing to eat down my food stores. 2 awesome dinners, lunches for a week and a giant ziplock of frozen beets less than $15 of ingredients.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8383 on: February 27, 2017, 07:53:03 AM »

I hope you get better soon.

Make sure you freeze in left over food when you have it. Or make extra big portions on some days to create left overs. Label it with date and content and keep it in the freezer for those days that you don't want to cook.

Thanks. I tend to take leftovers to work for lunches instead of stocking up my freezer, since I have a microwave at work and not in my apartment. In general I'd rather make something simple/quick than thaw/reheat frozen leftovers and have to wash a bunch of dishes for a single serving of food. The lazy option is more like a sandwich or scrambled eggs. :-)

But I think I'm feeling well enough for a real grocery shop today, so I'll be living like a queen with fruit, vegetables and small portions of whatever meat is on sale.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8384 on: February 27, 2017, 02:36:31 PM »
I am not going to cook dinner today! Not only do I not feel like it, but this will force my spoiled family to eat some leftovers.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8385 on: February 28, 2017, 02:49:20 AM »
Brought a leftover pack of cookies from home to work. Not the most attractive cookies, so at home the remainder of the pack doesn't get eaten and will only get old. Yesterday at work I almost fainted from hunger and didn't have any more bread or bananas. I was tempted to buy some snack at the cafeteria. But as I was sitting far away from the cafeteria I went to a local kitchen instead and looked for something to eat. I found a cracker. It might have been someone else's, so my sincere excuses for that, but I was really hungry. I eat it just like that without any topping. And then worked an extra half hour overtime.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #8386 on: February 28, 2017, 05:30:58 AM »
Yesterday at work I almost fainted from hunger and didn't have any more bread or bananas. I was tempted to buy some snack at the cafeteria. But as I was sitting far away from the cafeteria I went to a local kitchen instead and looked for something to eat. I found a cracker. It might have been someone else's, so my sincere excuses for that, but I was really hungry. I eat it just like that without any topping. And then worked an extra half hour overtime.

That's hard core, Linda.  Wish I was your co-worker -- I would share my emergency cracker stash with you.  :)

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #8387 on: March 01, 2017, 06:26:25 AM »
I biked to the supermarket with my old-man shopping trolley tied to my bike as a sort of trailer. Worked surprisingly well and it increased my shopping capacity by about 4 times.

Lots of dumbfounded looks from other people though :D

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8388 on: March 01, 2017, 06:46:16 AM »
I biked to the supermarket with my old-man shopping trolley tied to my bike as a sort of trailer. Worked surprisingly well and it increased my shopping capacity by about 4 times.

Do you have a photo? Sounds interesting!

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #8389 on: March 01, 2017, 07:18:31 AM »
A very small savings. I have a phone plan that allows me to save $2 a month for prepaying 90 days in advance. I also can refer people and save an additional $1 a month, per referral for as long as they are a customer. I just referred my second person! Finally after being a customer for a year they give you another dollar off a month. So next payment I will be saving a total of $5 per month on an already very economical plan.

A year ago I was paying $80 for a far inferior plan, so I am feeling pretty good since I now pay half that with better benefits and I have the opportunity to keep that price trending downwards.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #8390 on: March 01, 2017, 12:33:58 PM »
While grocery shopping, I bypassed my normally dirt cheap wine for a new type that was deeply discounted to less than 4.00 a bottle.  Its good, and though the sale won't last, I was grateful for the extra 1.50 savings that week ;) 

Ebay-ing a bunch of small stuff.  Books, party decor, handmade items, ect.  I won't make much when you consider the per hour return, but I generally have more random free time on my hands than opportunities for extra cash.  I'm also watching a couple kids for a few hours weekly through May.  Its because of track season, and it again, won't net much.  But its also practically no work....

Went all of this past month without a haircut.  That won't last much longer, but an extra week is an extra week without the expense, right?

Have had amazing facial skin since switching to the oil cleansing method using castor oil.  Coconut oil made me break out, and olive oil was just weird.  The castor oil is the cheapest and thickest of them all, and it works beautifully.  Seriously, people spend a hundred dollars at a time sometimes on the perfect skin stuff, and I get the most improvement I've ever seen with a hot wet washcloth and a 1.00 bottle of castor oil?  People are doing this wrong...

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #8391 on: March 01, 2017, 12:51:16 PM »

Do you have a photo? Sounds interesting!

I didn't take one because of the rain. But in the link you can see the trolley so imagine that attached to a bike's rear rack.

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
« Reply #8392 on: March 01, 2017, 01:16:14 PM »
Today in the mail I received coupons for, among other places, Noodles and Company, which is very close to my work. 3 of the 4 coupons were pretty typical, buy one get one free etc., but the last coupon was for a free entree, no strings attached. They are trying to push a new item. It would normally cost $8-9.

So I rushed back to the mailroom of my apartment complex, to the little pile where people discard unwanted circulars, and got 5 more. I have over a month to use them, but I'm pretty happy about 6 free lunches/dinners.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8393 on: March 01, 2017, 01:32:35 PM »
Made more yogurt.  Since I bought milk at Costco for $1.95 per gallon, and that makes 1 liter of greek style yogurt, I saved over $10 vs buying the Fage greek yogurt my family normally plows through.  I know it's not the first time I've mentioned it here, but I still love it.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8394 on: March 01, 2017, 02:50:03 PM »
* Wanted to get a shopping-cart cover so my 6mo can more easily join me for grocery shopping. Found one of high-quality at the local resale store and used a store credit to take it home for 0 out of pocket.

* Stupid pocket gopher keeps gnawing on the roots of the parsley in the garden. He has chopped down three plants so far, so I've been rescuing the tops at least and using them to make Bieler's broth/green soup.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #8395 on: March 01, 2017, 07:19:26 PM »

Have had amazing facial skin since switching to the oil cleansing method using castor oil.  Coconut oil made me break out, and olive oil was just weird.  The castor oil is the cheapest and thickest of them all, and it works beautifully.  Seriously, people spend a hundred dollars at a time sometimes on the perfect skin stuff, and I get the most improvement I've ever seen with a hot wet washcloth and a 1.00 bottle of castor oil?  People are doing this wrong...

Interesting! I have never heard of this, but have a bottle kicking around. Just looked up some information about how to use it and I'm going to give it a try. Thanks!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8396 on: March 02, 2017, 12:46:38 AM »
*Homemade deoderant continues to work great and is so very cheap! (coconut oil, baking soda and essential oils - pinterest)

*Homemade shampoo also working wonderfully. I think I'm at the two year mark with this (water and baking soda, ratio: 1 cup to 1 tablespoon)

*Made a double loaf of French Bread and started another bowl of dough (Artisan Bread in 5 recipe - flour, water, salt, yeast - sits in the fridge for up to 2 weeks until I'm ready to make bread or pizza dough)

*Used up a bunch of random vegetables to make roasted vegetables with our roasted chicken for dinner (tossed veggies in olive oil and balsamic vinegar, then dumped on sea salt, pepper, loads of rosemary and garlic)

*Kept the furnace down even though I wanted to turn it up when I was feeling chllly.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #8397 on: March 02, 2017, 04:13:37 AM »
Today in the mail I received coupons for, among other places, Noodles and Company, which is very close to my work. 3 of the 4 coupons were pretty typical, buy one get one free etc., but the last coupon was for a free entree, no strings attached. They are trying to push a new item. It would normally cost $8-9.

So I rushed back to the mailroom of my apartment complex, to the little pile where people discard unwanted circulars, and got 5 more. I have over a month to use them, but I'm pretty happy about 6 free lunches/dinners.

That is a great score!  Congrats!  I'm going to have to start looking at coupons ... they usually just go straight into the recycling

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8398 on: March 02, 2017, 05:32:41 AM »
 Made oatmeal pancakes with 2 cups of leftover oatmeal. Yum!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8399 on: March 02, 2017, 06:38:30 AM »
Bought a new car today (won't go into details, but it was necessary). Negotiated like a tough mofo and got the price down by quite a bit - husband was in awe, and grateful that I told him to sit back and follow my lead on the haggling.

Separately, negotiated a far better trade-in on the old car than was offered. Still probably could have done better with a private sale, but heavily pregnant and with two demanding jobs, we decided we weren't up for that if we could get a good enough price from the dealer.

Husband's six-or-seven-year-old jeans had ripped irreparably in several places and today the crotch developed a 15cm long rip (as he sat down in the car to test drive it - great timing). Used a gift card to get him a new pair with no out of pocket cost. Hoping this pair lasts just as long!