Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8029853 times)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #8150 on: January 30, 2017, 12:22:12 PM »
*Kids are making Sculpey clay figures from a set received at Christmas.  It was perfect! One of those "We're bored! There's nothing to do!" moments.

*Making soup for lunch from stock made last week. Adding leftover meat and veggies.

*Reading library books. What would we do without our public libraries?! We borrow thousands of dollars worth of books every year. Recently was talking to someone who wanted to read a new book and I said "Oh the library has it!" since I'd already read it. A few days later, she said "Oh, I just went out and bought it - it was only $25."  Ugh! And this is someone with loads of debt and a hefty mortgage. This is totally what I used to do too :-(

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8151 on: January 30, 2017, 12:24:42 PM »
Davef, what a find on the turkeys! wow! I was pricing out fresh organic turkeys before Christmas and couldn't bring myself to order one as they were $50!

davef

• Stubble
« Reply #8152 on: January 31, 2017, 03:54:47 PM »
yeah, I was exited, they had 4 left, I almost bought all 4, but my wife would have killed me.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8153 on: January 31, 2017, 03:58:52 PM »
-Did youtube yoga
-Batch cooked to send DH out of town with tons of food
-Requested a book from the library. A popular one I was "sure" would be a long list, but I was second in line. Old days I may not have even checked! I'll walk to the library (1+mile each way) and pick it up tomorrow.

Big one yesterday: bought a new-but-returned-to-store washing machine instead of brand new (nothing wrong with it, still under full warranty). Spent the same we expected to, got a higher end machine, and were able to pick it up same day... instead of a month+ back order. Moved it ourselves, so no paying for delivery. And of COURSE did the installation ourselves.

CheapScholar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8154 on: January 31, 2017, 05:04:03 PM »
Seriously, Davef, good work!  I might venture to my grocery store after Easter and see if I can get a ham cheap.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8155 on: January 31, 2017, 09:18:52 PM »
* I finally got a bike, so I can be a proper Mustachian, and rode it to buy shipping supplies for an item I sold on eBay.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8156 on: January 31, 2017, 09:54:35 PM »
Cooked 9.5 dinners in a day (for freezing.)

I'm bracing myself right now to tackle a truly frightening pork picnic shoulder that I bought on sale.  Then once I have carved it, sealed it in the baggie, and cleaned up a bit, I can crawl off to bed.

I will thank myself in the future, I know.

davef

• Stubble
« Reply #8157 on: February 01, 2017, 10:14:33 AM »
Pundwise.
I have a ham hoc stew that I do in the croc pot that is amazing if you want to give it a try.

place in crock put
pork shoulder or leg bones (meat removed)
1.5 cups cubed pork meat.
1 cup chopped oinions
1 cup chopped celery
1 can fire roasted tomatoes
1  or 2 cans of your favorite beans ( i have done it with black, red, garbanzo and mong, all great.) 
1 qt chicken stock
1 Tsp pepper
Slow cook all day.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8158 on: February 01, 2017, 10:43:39 AM »
Oh thank you thank you, Davef!!

I bought this immense hock and carved off a third yesterday for another recipe, but the remaining 2/3 are still "hogging" my fridge.  I keep going online meaning to look up recipes to deal with it and then I get hooked into the MMM forums. I also have a cup or so of leftover black beans that I had no use for. And a bit of celery.

Absolutely perfect.

Question, do you also put the big flap of skin in the crock pot?

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #8159 on: February 01, 2017, 12:07:49 PM »
I was so excited I scored a brand new copy of the board game Qwirkle at the thrift store for $3. My dad asked for this game for his birthday, so I just saved myself $30 and he will be equally excited that I thrifted it. I also bought a new hat (still with tags) for $2. It's a beautiful wool hat from Danier.

I also received a free upgraded CC (no cost) that will double my grocery points. I collect these points all year to buy Christmas gifts with and do my back to school and Christmas donations.

Finally the plastic screw that holds my toilet seat on broke. I thought I'd have to buy a whole new seat (and this one is not very old) turns out you can buy just the screws for a few dollars, so I replaced both of them with metal ones that will never break. Such a minor thing, but I was happy it was a cheap and easy fix.

davef

• Stubble
« Reply #8160 on: February 01, 2017, 12:12:53 PM »
I generally do, I remove it, the bone, and any big chunks of gristle about an hour before I serve.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8161 on: February 01, 2017, 12:27:17 PM »
Returned things to walmart that I added to an online order just to get free shipping.  (The trick only works if you actually return- they count on you not bothering to...)

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8162 on: February 01, 2017, 12:28:58 PM »
Got a new battery for my phone and replaced a hose on my grill rather that getting new big ticket items.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #8163 on: February 01, 2017, 03:21:10 PM »
Dogs were playing and one cut her paw open.  Didn't notice till she had waltzed inside the house, onto my carpet and tile.  Shooed her outside and got it out of the tile and carpet super quickly, only to step outside and see the faux murder scene blood splatters on my cement porch.    Wasn't sure it would work, but an 89 cent bottle of hydrogen peroxide to the rescue!  My porch cement has never been cleaner LOL

(P.S.  puppy paw is fine.   Just a flesh would with lots of blood and not much actual damage)

Hemmed a tank top to make it fit better.

Zipper on husband's athletic pants (on the leg/ankle part) broke.  He doesn't use them, so I'm just sewing it together so his ankle isn't exposed.

Busted my beloved Lifefactory water bottle the other day *sob*   3 years and lots of falls on concrete before it died.  I don't love drinking from stainless steel, but I had found a kleen kanteen water bottle that was being used as a "spare" when hiking for a 1.00 at goodwill.  I've been using it, and I like it better than any cheap stainless steel I've used -- much less steel aftertaste.  For now, no plans to replace the Lifefactory bottle.

Found a "fancy" frozen pizza brand on sale for 3 for 9.00 (half off).  We don't like the cheap varieties, but these are good, and I saved 9.00 on already cheap replacements for our biggest dining out weakness.....

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8164 on: February 01, 2017, 07:29:25 PM »
-Did youtube yoga

Care to share your YouTube yoga links?

Thx.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8165 on: February 01, 2017, 08:13:54 PM »
Pundwise.
I have a ham hoc stew that I do in the croc pot that is amazing if you want to give it a try.

place in crock put
pork shoulder or leg bones (meat removed)
1.5 cups cubed pork meat.
1 cup chopped oinions
1 cup chopped celery
1 can fire roasted tomatoes
1  or 2 cans of your favorite beans ( i have done it with black, red, garbanzo and mong, all great.) 
1 qt chicken stock
1 Tsp pepper
Slow cook all day.

Thanks, it was a big hit for dinner!! Had it with rice, but some family members wrapped it in tortillas instead.  I ended up not putting the skin in, but will try to make it into cracklings or use as lard. Anyway, thank you for a very simple recipe that will be a keeper!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8166 on: February 01, 2017, 08:27:01 PM »
-Did youtube yoga

Care to share your YouTube yoga links?

Thx.

https://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene

I like her playlists so I can pick the length or focus of the flow.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8168 on: February 02, 2017, 12:50:08 AM »
Tanked petrol on thursday morning, which is one of the cheaper days. This car I used never drives along a petrol station normally, but because of very icy roads, I had to make a detour over a longer route with bigger and salted roads. Then it wasn't many extra meters to fill up the tank on a cheaper day.

Rant: the government set up the tax on petrol prices with 0,5 Norwegian crowns. The petrol stations followed up by setting the prices up with 2 Nor crs.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #8169 on: February 02, 2017, 05:52:38 AM »
7:45am here and I already saved myself some money. Walmart.ca had a evoucher for $10 off an online order. I ordered some household items I actually needed (boring stuff like garbage bags and toothpaste) with taxes it was $36.xx, after the coupon $24.xx. I shipped it my corner shop a Canada Post outlet, so I got free shipping despite being under the limit. Around 33% savings!

I also have a crazy points deal today at my local grocery store. 2L pop will work out to 51 cents with taxes, which is a pretty crazy low price. I'm buying a bunch for when I entertain and have game nights.

DCfarmhouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8170 on: February 02, 2017, 07:34:59 AM »
Just canceled my Comcast service. Work will pay for my wifi and spring is coming...time to be outside!

Erma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8171 on: February 02, 2017, 07:40:55 AM »
I'm using the free internet at the train station while waiting instead of my own data volume.

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8172 on: February 02, 2017, 08:10:28 AM »
*Bought dog food in bulk, using a coupon and membership discount to further lower the price.
*Harvested a bunch of self seeded lamb's lettuce.
*Hung first load of laundry this year outside to dry, now hoping it will be dry before sundown.
*Took a "warm sweater day" in advance: thermostat back to 17 C. Which wasn't a big deal, because I've been active and/or outside most of the time anyway.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8173 on: February 02, 2017, 09:22:12 AM »
Just canceled my Comcast service. Work will pay for my wifi and spring is coming...time to be outside!
AWESOME!  Cancelling cable is quite a big thing though!

Last night, I made dinner with from few defrosted chicken sausages, eggs, and toast. 
I also packed my breakfast (overnight oats) and lunch. 

Tonight I'm going to make a pie for a potluck tomorrow night.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8174 on: February 02, 2017, 09:31:21 AM »

Wow, did you cancel cable AND internet? That's seriously impressive if so!

Nothing too exciting here.
*priced out floss. Found it would be cheaper to do amazon S&S than it was at costco. Added it to next month's order.
*eating leftovers
*picked up a book from the library

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8175 on: February 02, 2017, 03:10:17 PM »
Didn't buy anything at the coffee shop when one of my classes decided to meet there instead of on campus.  Everyone else bought, so I didn't feel bad.  I didn't sleep much last night was sorely tempted by extra caffeine.

I also almost bought because I've been encouraging myself to say yes to social things, but on the way into the shop I realized that it wasn't social.  It was class.  I'll save my "free pass" for sometime when someone wants to stop after class.   

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8176 on: February 02, 2017, 03:27:42 PM »
Fixed the continuous-flow ink system on my printer, which I installed because the individual ink tanks are so expensive. Now my hands are all black, yellow, magenta, and cyan.

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8177 on: February 02, 2017, 04:22:13 PM »
Please be careful, those inks are nasty! Gloves might be worth it

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #8178 on: February 02, 2017, 11:23:54 PM »
I don't think anyone really regrets getting rid of Comcast.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8179 on: February 03, 2017, 12:32:17 AM »
Again, swimming "for free" in a public swimming pool. As least, my husband and I are members of a triathlon club that costs a fixed sum per year. The free swimming in the pool in winter time is included. The membership price is a LOT cheaper than any tickets at the pool would have cost, like a third of the price.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #8180 on: February 03, 2017, 06:04:25 AM »
Checked the Whole Foods app - this month they're doing $5 off a $25 meat purchase.  Noted the meats my location has on sale to double down on the savings, and will plan meals around those items.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8181 on: February 03, 2017, 06:33:04 AM »
Again, swimming "for free" in a public swimming pool. As least, my husband and I are members of a triathlon club that costs a fixed sum per year. The free swimming in the pool in winter time is included. The membership price is a LOT cheaper than any tickets at the pool would have cost, like a third of the price.

Nice.  The military discount to our local pool makes it $10 a month for DH to swim; otherwise it is about $30 a month or $4 per time.

I don't like swimming, but recently found out you can use the track for free. So now I got walk while he swims, which is way better than sitting on the couch at home!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8182 on: February 03, 2017, 10:12:42 AM »
Made pie last night for potluck tonight
Brought tea, snacks, breakfast, and lunch to work today
Checked out book from library
Downloaded audiobook to my iPhone (also through the library)

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8183 on: February 03, 2017, 10:26:21 AM »
Please be careful, those inks are nasty! Gloves might be worth it

I did! But I didn't notice the tiny specks of ink left on my black printer until it was too late...

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #8184 on: February 03, 2017, 03:51:46 PM »
Went to the thrift store and bought two 100% wool sweaters for less than $10. Going to make some wool dryer balls out of them. Much cheaper than buying skeins or ready made wool dryer balls.

Also went to Aldi to get cheese, saved a bunch of money right there over most grocers.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8185 on: February 03, 2017, 04:00:04 PM »
I picked up an extra work shift, 1-4:30 PM. Now, since that puts me home later than I was planning, I was REALLY tempted to buy pizza out instead of making it for our Friday pizza night.

But I resisted the urge and made dough before I left for work. I mean, it's not really going to take that much longer to roll out and bake than it would have taken to pick up pizza, and now I get to keep more of my hard-earned money.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8186 on: February 03, 2017, 04:05:35 PM »
I picked up an extra work shift, 1-4:30 PM. Now, since that puts me home later than I was planning, I was REALLY tempted to buy pizza out instead of making it for our Friday pizza night.

But I resisted the urge and made dough before I left for work. I mean, it's not really going to take that much longer to roll out and bake than it would have taken to pick up pizza, and now I get to keep more of my hard-earned money.
Awesome! 

We used to keep a frozen pizza in our freezer for that exact urge.  I'm impressed that you were able to make the dough before work. 

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8187 on: February 03, 2017, 05:30:55 PM »
Wanted takeaway last night but made a tasty meal from pantry ingredients instead.

Renewed my library membership and checked out three books I'm super excited to read.

Today I'm going to do some baking for NEXT weekend's hosting that will store well in the freezer (one of the secrets to hosting a lot with low energy!).

As per usual, line drying all our washing :-)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8188 on: February 03, 2017, 05:34:46 PM »
*Made a huge double batch of beef vegetable stew in the toaster and cooked at 200 all afternoon. Smells delicious in here. I am having a tough go of things right now so this was a Herculean effort to get this going. I'm so glad I did!

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8189 on: February 03, 2017, 07:39:15 PM »
Funny, I made a huge pot of chicken stew!  Haha, must be the weather.  I used a bunch of baby carrots, onions, celery and baby potatoes that I had bought a while back.  Thawed some chicken tender meat I had in my freezer and even found some chicken stock in my basement that I'd bought at Costco a looooooong time ago.  So, a bunch of meals and didn't have to buy anything to make it. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8190 on: February 03, 2017, 08:35:28 PM »
*Shaved more brussel sprouts (vs buying pre-shaved from Trader Joe's). This is an Uber Frugal January change that is actually going to stick I think! Coupled with Sailor Sam's advice to put a paper towel in the bottom and top of a container of veggies (like cut lettuce) and they stay safe for... well, until we eat them, which so far hasn't been more than a week.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8191 on: February 03, 2017, 11:13:31 PM »
Two things, I skipped supper tonight because I had a late lunch and honestly ate too much at the monthly pot luck and I talked the car repair shop into a discount on my next service because it took over twice as long to repair the dents and dings from a hit and run than they said it would take.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #8192 on: February 04, 2017, 06:37:13 AM »
Actually every day, but it has paid off recently. I shower at the gym and hand wash dishes while waiting for the micro instead of using the dishwasher. As a result my water usage is pretty low.

My town has 3 tiers of water usage with increasing rates for each tier on their bills and I am always below the first tier. This quarter something went screwy with the billing and people in the second tier and beyond got huge bills even though the rates didn't change. My bill is fine.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #8193 on: February 04, 2017, 07:40:43 AM »
Made a huuuge batch of super yummy stuffed pasta from stuff lying around. Sooo good and super cheap, with a bottle of wine left over from guests.

CheapScholar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8194 on: February 04, 2017, 11:08:54 AM »
Loaf of bread was down to 5 pieces and going stale.  Made them into bread crumbs.  Will work great for breaded chicken this week or as an ingredient for a meat loaf.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8195 on: February 04, 2017, 12:05:14 PM »
I bought ingredients for an Imperial chocolate peanut butter milk stout. There's on from a place called Springhouse in PA that I used to like a whole lot, but it's like $13 a six pack. Two cases of my home made version will run me about $30 including energy costs (but not amortizing equipment costs for the hobby)

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8196 on: February 04, 2017, 01:02:20 PM »
We used travel credit from the Chase Sapphire Preferred card to take a short round-trip Amtrak ride with our toddler who loves trains - ride to a town 30 minutes away, get out and buy coffee with a gift card from Christmas and walk around window shopping for a little bit, then ride back. Fun for everyone but not something we'd spend real money on.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #8197 on: February 04, 2017, 02:00:31 PM »
I'm making a quart of goat's milk yogurt in my yogurt maker from Trader Joe's goat milk at $3.69 a quart. I need non ultra pasteurized milk to make yogurt from, and this was a cheaper option than Strauss organic glass packed milk (not available at TJ's anyway)

I also walked to the store and took my wheeled shopping bag, around 1 1/4 miles each way.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8198 on: February 04, 2017, 08:34:28 PM »
My work pants are starting to get a bit faded and stretched out but I don't want to buy new pants until school starts in the fall.  So a few bottles of fabric dye and some time at the sewing machine and they are good to go for the rest of the school year. 

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #8199 on: February 05, 2017, 07:42:54 AM »
Our bathroom faucet needs to be replaced - it's corroded and gross. My husband found the original receipt from 14 years ago (take that, konmarie!), I checked online and found there's a lifetime warranty and they are sending us a new one for free.

Splurgy savings: Coconut oil is $18 a gallon on amazon today so I ordered a gallon, after checking that it doesn't go rancid for up to a few years, unlike other cooking oils.

Ordered a new backup sump pump to replace the broken one before spring comes, paid for it entirely with cashback paypal dollars from grocery and survey apps.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!