Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8029887 times)

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #7500 on: November 22, 2016, 09:50:55 PM »
I had to drive 10 hours cross country today. It's last minute. I'll be staying with family through the holiday. Yesterday I sorted the fridge and either froze or packed all the food that won't last until I return. Today I ate packed food and really wasn't even tempted by fast food/junk food.  Gonna try to make this trip cheap and healthy.

I stopped at goodwill for a break 7 hours into the drive. I shopped my list and filled some holes in my wardrobe.  Having a list and sticking with my predetermined plan and colors sure made shopping easier.  I think I bought things I will actually wear, and they all coordinate with the rest of my clothing.

I resisted a lot of temptation as well.  Pretty gift wrap and cards for example.  I had it in my hands, but reminded myself that I already decided on a Christmas theme made from supplies I have. No need for more, even if it is only $1 or 2. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 10:03:26 PM by PMG »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7501 on: November 22, 2016, 09:53:59 PM »
A couple of small things I did over the past few weeks paid off today.

When I left my previous job, in October, I made a claim to a certain classification of accrued leave paid out.

The company wasn't required to pay it, but my managers supported my claim.

Since leaving, I sent payroll two emails following it up.

Today they paid out more than $7000.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7502 on: November 22, 2016, 09:57:27 PM »
I had to drive 10 hours cross country today. It's last minute.

Hope all is ok, PMG.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7503 on: November 22, 2016, 10:10:43 PM »
Resisted turning on my heat another day.

Meanwhile in Australia, we're resisting turning the cool on!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7504 on: November 22, 2016, 10:16:51 PM »

Meanwhile in Sydney, we're resisting swimming home.

Well, I am. marty998 sensibly packed an umbrella this morning.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7505 on: November 22, 2016, 10:20:59 PM »
Friends who have done us a favour are coming over tonight, and I've decided to make tacos rather than buying takeaway (haven't been up to much cooking lately thanks to severe morning sickness; takeaway has become a default option around here).

No nurseries have the fruit tree I want in stock so I've involuntarily saved that money for now :-(

Ate homegrown blueberries this morning.

Watching my local Buy Nothing group to pick up pregnancy and baby things. I've already snagged heaps of things we would otherwise have bought!

Going shopping with gift cards later this week for a maternity bra and some Christmas presents for nephlings.

Meanwhile in Sydney, we're resisting swimming home.

Well, I am. marty998 sensibly packed an umbrella this morning.

I wish we could have some of that rain! My garden is starting to dry out in the heat.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7506 on: November 22, 2016, 10:56:02 PM »
A couple of small things I did over the past few weeks paid off today.

When I left my previous job, in October, I made a claim to a certain classification of accrued leave paid out.

The company wasn't required to pay it, but my managers supported my claim.

Since leaving, I sent payroll two emails following it up.

Today they paid out more than $7000.

NICE!

Harvested three lemons from our tree, cooked up some sweet potatoes we grew in our garden, cut onions, chard and sorrel.

Received a $12.28 Amazon gift card for some previous Associates activity.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 10:58:38 PM by jengod »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7507 on: November 23, 2016, 01:33:24 AM »
My brother is cooking the bird on Thursday and the rest of us received our instructions yesterday, no deviation allowed. I was assigned crudites. Hehe, I shopped for the produce at the 99 Cents Only Store today. I will arrange everything on my two lovely hand-me-down Candlewick by Imperial platters. It will be lovely and no one will know I didn't spend a fortune.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #7508 on: November 23, 2016, 01:40:01 AM »

Very mustachian! I didn't even make it to November this year.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #7509 on: November 23, 2016, 03:37:20 AM »

Very mustachian! I didn't even make it to November this year.

Urgh. This year it was -turn on heat for a week - turn on the a/c for a week because of 60 degree temperature swings.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7510 on: November 23, 2016, 04:26:15 AM »
Brought my own lunch to work. Didn't buy the delicious-looking apple cake that was for sale in the canteen at work. We will get a free cake this afternoon because of a colleague who is leaving the company.

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #7511 on: November 23, 2016, 04:47:09 AM »
Cycled and combined two trips. One was to the library to get books that will potentially improve my mustache. That means savings today and savings in future.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7512 on: November 23, 2016, 07:38:53 AM »
We have been experimenting with "minimum effective dosage" for everything lately. Then we ran out of dishwasher detergent. Apparently, the minimum effective dose for still perfectly clean dishes is 0. I can't decide if I am thrilled to find this out, or bummed at how much we have spent over the years, and we get the cheap stuff! Must.Question.Everything.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7513 on: November 23, 2016, 07:47:13 AM »
We have been experimenting with "minimum effective dosage" for everything lately. Then we ran out of dishwasher detergent. Apparently, the minimum effective dose for still perfectly clean dishes is 0. I can't decide if I am thrilled to find this out, or bummed at how much we have spent over the years, and we get the cheap stuff! Must.Question.Everything.

I tried this with washing detergent for clothes. I bought the cheapest detergent and added only two spoonfuls to the washing machine. Washed on 30C. And my clothes came out smelling of sweat. Obviously washing smelly cloths requires either hotter temperatures or more detergent. I have done both and still use the cheapest detergent. Now it works.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7514 on: November 23, 2016, 09:53:15 AM »
There is no school this whole week for the elementary kid.  Instead of:
1. Going on vacation
2. Paying for camp

We are splitting the days and working at home half day and at the office half day.  No camp cost, about $175 / week.  No vacation, easily $1000.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7515 on: November 23, 2016, 10:20:16 AM »
Sold a junior sized drum set. We were given it for free a few years ago by someone who was done with it. Sold it to a music store and then turned around and bought a piece that was missing from our new (from Craig's List) for the same price! Only had to pay the $9.50 tax. Wahoo! Gotta love the 2nd hand market!

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7516 on: November 23, 2016, 08:00:57 PM »
Traveling to be with family for the weekend.  For breakfast I finished off the last of the soup I made on Sunday.  I used the last of the bread and made a sandwich to eat on the road.  Filled the cup with ice and put a couple of cans of sofa in my bag that I got on sale for 20 cents each.  Didn't buy any treats when I stopped along the way.  Oh, and by driving about 5 blocks off the freeway I gassed up for $2.24 a gallon instead of paying $3.00 a gallon at the gas station by the exit.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7517 on: November 24, 2016, 01:55:53 AM »
My lovely friend the baker called in to see me at work this afternoon.

She brought a box full of sweets (20+ almond croissants, Madeleines, slice, etc) and a couple of pumpkin and spinach pastries.

I donated the sweets to the office - always good for morale, and better for me not to eat them.

The savoury pastries will give me dinner for a couple of nights.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7518 on: November 24, 2016, 03:47:23 AM »
I did something to save someone elses money. I made a friend of mine aware of the possibility of early retirement, as he is exactly the kind of frugal person you need to be to achieve this. I made him aware of the option of investing in index funds and the concept was quite new for him. I think he had his money on a normal bank account all these years.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7519 on: November 24, 2016, 03:51:05 AM »
Showered at work. 

Thanks for the reminder. I have just decided in the lunch break that I should pick up the habit of walking or run/walking to work. This will take a lot more time than driving a car. And it requires a shower. But than I can save a short morning shower at home. We even have free towels at work.

For a note: I could cycle, but I don't fancy dping that it in the winter, in the dark with icy roads. Even though we have spike tires that I could put on them.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7520 on: November 24, 2016, 08:03:26 AM »
My family is in town for the week. We've been mostly eating at home, went to a free museum for entertainment, and they've been helping us get things done around the house. The legs of my sewing table (a cheap solid wood table from Craigslist) were getting extremely wobbly and my dad helped me disassemble the legs/base of the table and re-glue all the joints. It's nice and sturdy now.

DH and I got out for a rare date yesterday afternoon. We went on a walk, stopped for cups of coffee and cookies (much less $$$ than going out for lunch or dinner!) and went to the library. It was lovely.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7521 on: November 24, 2016, 02:06:24 PM »
After a couple of months on the bright side of life (we moved to a north-facing apartment), I've had to change my line-drying strategy.

Previously I would peg things in the morning, but thing will fade quickly if I do that here with summer on the way.

So now I'm pegging at night and getting the load in when it's dry in the morning.

I'm also pegging jeans and dark clothes inside out to help prevent fading.

Can't do much about the cushions on my daybed, but I'm still so much happier with the sunlight.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7522 on: November 24, 2016, 05:25:31 PM »
I had errands to do in the next small town over and in the city. The next small town over is the same distance from the city as the place I live in. Rather than doing the errands on separate days, I drove to the next small town over first, then the city, then home. Saved half an hour on driving and $6 on gas. It was a long day, though.

In the city, half of the gas stations had gas at 78 cents a litre and half had it at 90 cents a litre. (Gas suppliers are Suncor/Petrocanada versus Shell. The latter obviously had some supply issues.) I filled up, because it was 81 cents at home. What if I hadn't been looking?

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #7523 on: November 25, 2016, 01:46:54 AM »
After a couple of months on the bright side of life (we moved to a north-facing apartment), I've had to change my line-drying strategy.
Took me a while to figure out why north facing would be a problem
I'm also pegging jeans and dark clothes inside out to help prevent fading.
Damn I should have tought of that.

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #7524 on: November 25, 2016, 07:56:06 AM »
I did something to save someone elses money. I made a friend of mine aware of the possibility of early retirement, as he is exactly the kind of frugal person you need to be to achieve this. I made him aware of the option of investing in index funds and the concept was quite new for him. I think he had his money on a normal bank account all these years.

Paying it forward, love it.  I will be sitting down with a friend soon and going over all the finances.  I think I'm more excited about it than he is!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7525 on: November 25, 2016, 08:18:55 AM »
I'm Canadian, so everyone is at work and there's no Thanksgiving thing going on... except for Black Friday.

So, this morning, I took my VERY detailed 'christmas presents to buy' and 'things for the house we actually NEED (aka: instant pot to replace the broken crockpot)' lists, and went online, and spent half an hour getting most things from both lists at 30-70% off.

I figure, if this is stuff I'm gonna spend money on anyway, may as well spend less money, save time, avoid going to an actual store, and get ONLY what has been on the lists and not get tempted into additional pretty things!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7526 on: November 25, 2016, 11:32:00 AM »
I'm Canadian, so everyone is at work and there's no Thanksgiving thing going on... except for Black Friday.

So, this morning, I took my VERY detailed 'christmas presents to buy' and 'things for the house we actually NEED (aka: instant pot to replace the broken crockpot)' lists, and went online, and spent half an hour getting most things from both lists at 30-70% off.

I figure, if this is stuff I'm gonna spend money on anyway, may as well spend less money, save time, avoid going to an actual store, and get ONLY what has been on the lists and not get tempted into additional pretty things!

Smart.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7527 on: November 25, 2016, 12:23:04 PM »

Smart.

And then I went to the fabric store over lunch and (get this) ONLY got what was on my short-list of projects for the next 3 months (aka: mostly things for the baby I'm expecting in 3 months - change table cover, sheet for the crib, etc). All fabric at 50% off? Why yes, this is when I'll buy my crafting supplies.

The trick to this actually working is to buy ZERO things not on the actual list, and the list has to be short and contain ONLY what is actually gonna get made, not a 'hey, cute pattern, I'll make that sometime' list.

FerrumB5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7528 on: November 25, 2016, 03:23:20 PM »
Fixed leaking frost-free outside faucet with a $.49 washer. Probably saved $50 or more by not calling the plumber

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7529 on: November 25, 2016, 03:32:19 PM »
Ordered new glasses for the Mister and I online.  Got some Zenni ones for him for less than $100 with everything but the kitchen sink, and found some for me at Clearly (Canadian Warby Parker) for 50% off the lenses.  Both our pairs together come to less than what I was quoted at several places here to just replace the lenses in a frame I already own.

MikeMoeJackB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7530 on: November 25, 2016, 03:37:59 PM »
I teleworked today.  No commuting, no chance of buying out to lunch, and much more productive either way.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #7531 on: November 25, 2016, 04:08:09 PM »
Bought a bunch of 'ugly' apples to make cakes and crumbles. Spent 1$ instead of 4$, baked stuff still came out delicious.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7532 on: November 25, 2016, 04:48:45 PM »
Picked up some pork and turkey on special today so I it costs less to feed everyone when they come into town for Christmas time. Worked out to $0.99/lb for pork loin, $0.79/lb turkey. Not quite as good for the turkey as some other years, but cheaper than most meat most of the year.

Pinch of salt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7533 on: November 25, 2016, 04:49:13 PM »
I signed up for a one month free trial of a professional association membership, it was running out and it would have meant forking out £200 for. Today they sent an email to extend the free trial for another three months, just when I was about to pay it. Similar thing happened with my gym. I wanted to extend my membership to cover other gyms (currently only pay for my home gym), it would have been another £5+ per month. Just when I was considering, they sent everyone a notice that all plans are now plans to all gyms for the month of December.

csprof

• Stubble
« Reply #7534 on: November 25, 2016, 06:32:43 PM »
Visiting in-laws for the holiday.  DW talked them out of going out to dinner tonight, so instead I made turkey stock from yesterday's carcass, made lentil turkey noodle soup from said stock.  After the soup was finished, threw in the overcooked peas and carrots that nobody ate yesterday.  Roasted the leftover pumpkin from yesterday's stuffed pumpkin with some maple syrup and salt, made a quick side of sauteed asparagus, and - yay!  nearly-free meal, less waste, no driving.

(We might all go a little stir crazy from hanging around together.  I'm not sure how to price that in.  I guess the cost of that is that I'm hiding out posting in the "what small things did you do TODAY to save money" thread instead of hanging out. :)

I think that helps compensate for the chromecast audio I bought today.  Have been hunting ebay and craigslist for a month and haven't found anything better than what it was selling for new on black friday ($25), so went ahead and got it.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7535 on: November 25, 2016, 09:36:39 PM »
A friend just offered me a bunch of exercise gear, mostly things she bought on sale and never wore.

I want to pay her for them, because I figure she could have sold the on eBay.

She won't accept cash, but she wants a website for her side hustle so I'm going to set that up for her and pay to register the domain.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7536 on: November 26, 2016, 12:04:20 AM »
I made a large cookies sheet full of buns today for a potluck at my house. One family brought veggies and dip, another brought dessert. I provided the buns and fillings: egg salad, deli turkey, cheese, peanut butter & jam (most of the attendees were under age 12).

I made iced tea and lemonade from scratch when I realized I'd forgotten to buy some canned frozen juice. Turned out great!

MissPiggy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Earnest Addiction - A Millennial's Journey to FIRE
« Reply #7537 on: November 27, 2016, 02:19:16 AM »
There's no Thanksgiving here and we don't really have Black Friday sales as both are American (not Australian) customs, however I had a great weekend doing little things that have saved me a lot of money!

1. Entertained friends at my house instead of going out, spent $15 on a bottle of wine. Would have easily spent $50 on drinks at a bar.
2. Repaired shoes instead of buying a new pair. Cost $20 to repair and shoes will last another year.
3. Relaxed by the pool instead of going out and enjoyed the gorgeous summer sun! Spent $0.

Things I didn't do which saved money:
1. Went out to a tourist trap for lunch today (the iconic Sydney Fish Markets) and spent more on my lunch than I would have elsewhere.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7538 on: November 27, 2016, 08:10:44 AM »
A few weeks ago, I had booked a night in a hotel in the city for this week to stay while going to dinner and a concert and doing some Christmas shopping. The rate was $180, but when the reminder came this week, it was for $204. I guess taxes drove it up.

I've found a room at another hotel that I like for $131, including taxes and a hot breakfast. It is further from the concert venue and not in a trendy neighborhood, but it is closer to the shopping the next morning. So, $73 ahead, plus a better breakfast.

I'm still staying at the first hotel for a night during Christmas week, but then I get a Christmas week special price.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7539 on: November 27, 2016, 09:18:21 AM »
-Wanted some seating in the front room where we will be placing christmas tree, etc, as we'll be hosting quite a few people, some with mobility issues. Hadn't found a solution- couch won't fit in there, tree won't fit in living room, etc. In-Laws are moving and couldn't sell their big purple leather sectional they'd had in their "bonus room". Really the height of 90s decor, but still in good shape- I think they had it restuffed at one point. Took it and it fits (dimension wise) perfectly in that room. Bonus, long enough to serve as a guest bed to friends/BILs who don't care about "real" beds. Now I just have to get over having a giant grape in my house =P But the price was right!

-Had friends over for dinner, rather than go out anywhere. Also continued talking personal finance with this friend- he's slowly pulling his finances together. This month he's spent $400 on eating out, vs $1000 last month. Shocking numbers, but a huge improvement! And makes me feel good hosting not only helps *us* save money, it helps him feel like cutting restaurant spending is more doable.

-Put up some hand me down Christmas decorations! Embracing the mindset of "nostalgia" rather than "old and kitschy" haha. Don't let perfect be the enemy of frugal!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7540 on: November 27, 2016, 09:31:05 AM »
Put some throws and pillows on the giant grape. Also, you can get tinted lightbulb - you may be able to find one that makes it look less grapey.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7541 on: November 27, 2016, 09:42:15 AM »
Put some throws and pillows on the giant grape. Also, you can get tinted lightbulb - you may be able to find one that makes it look less grapey.

Oooh, these are both good ideas!

It doesn't help that the room itself is a soft grey-purple wall color. Or maybe it does? It coordinates well, it's just VERY purple.

What color throw/pillows could I do in there? Hmm, this might be one to take to PBKmaine's design journal! Put it to the hive mind...

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7542 on: November 27, 2016, 09:49:45 AM »

It doesn't help that the room itself is a soft grey-purple wall color. Or maybe it does? It coordinates well, it's just VERY purple.

What color throw/pillows could I do in there? Hmm, this might be one to take to PBKmaine's design journal! Put it to the hive mind...

Mustard yellow, olive green (kind of complementary colors), or grays, blues and silvers. (Adjacent colors, neutrals). Depends on the shade of grape, but I've seen mustard and olive work really well with purple.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7543 on: November 27, 2016, 09:52:51 AM »

Mustard yellow, olive green (kind of complementary colors), or grays, blues and silvers. (Adjacent colors, neutrals). Depends on the shade of grape, but I've seen mustard and olive work really well with purple.

The couch is very dark, probably like so: https://products.davidsutherlandinc.com/media/76869/990-105-large.jpg
The walls are probably about like "fragrant lilac" on this: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/81/9e/09/819e0931f323734d2391d024134028e6.jpg

Totally the diderot effect going on here. Free couch is going to lead to not-free throws/pillows to make it match better! =P 

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7544 on: November 27, 2016, 10:16:50 AM »
Lots of throws on sale now. pillows are cheap to make or re-cover with new fabric. May fins some at thrift stores, or already have some in a closet or other room?

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7545 on: November 27, 2016, 10:23:34 AM »
Found a color palette website - you can select # of colors in the palette. Here's an example with 3 colors. I tried to pick the right purple shade (small dark box, main square is less saturated), yellow and olive were the output for a three color scheme.

http://paletton.com/#uid=34H0u0kllllaFw0g0qFqFg0w0aF

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7546 on: November 27, 2016, 11:31:04 AM »
Found a color palette website - you can select # of colors in the palette. Here's an example with 3 colors. I tried to pick the right purple shade (small dark box, main square is less saturated), yellow and olive were the output for a three color scheme.

That is an awesome website! Thank you!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7547 on: November 27, 2016, 11:32:31 AM »

My friend Google!  You can tweak the spots too in the color wheel area, and the colors change in the display on the right.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7548 on: November 27, 2016, 11:40:21 AM »

My friend Google!  You can tweak the spots too in the color wheel area, and the colors change in the display on the right.

...definitely already got the color of my living room/kitchen and have good ideas for kitchen accents now.

This is not helping me not want to spend money ;)

To save money today:
Went and got the tools we'll need to DIY change our cabinets from drop in to slide in for our new range. Not sure how much we're saving, but since basic "plug it in" install was over $100, I'm guessing cabinet work would have added substantially! $75 worth of various tools, but already cheaper upfront, and secondly, now we have another couple tools for our various projects that always seem to come up.

Penny McSave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7549 on: November 27, 2016, 11:51:36 AM »
Cancelled my Amazon Prime membership that I forgot to cancel in time last year. I decided to try it for a year and used it all of 3 times!  What a waste! Glad to have that $100 instead of a useless subscription.