Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8029241 times)

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #7350 on: November 04, 2016, 07:44:48 AM »
Did the full weeks groceries for 3 (plus a houseguest for 2 days, plus a dinner party for 6) for 90$CAD at the grocery store (and the equivalent of 20$ of stuff from the freezer/pantry). We will eat like KINGS, I tell you. Healthy kings.

Paid off the last of our non-mortgage debt - no more interest for us!!!

Started my Christmas shopping - I hate buying something because I need to buy "something", and starting early gives the chance to find something thoughtful and reasonably priced and on sale for those I care about. Still spending money, but less money than I'd otherwise spend, and there's no socially acceptable way to not spend it wiout hurting people I care about, so... There we have it.

RamonaQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7351 on: November 04, 2016, 08:17:01 AM »
I exchanged a defective can of shaving cream (the nozzle was broken so it wouldn't squirt out).  I felt kind of dumb returning something that cost around $2, but I wouldn't throw $2 in the trash, so there you go!

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7352 on: November 04, 2016, 08:56:09 AM »
I exchanged a defective can of shaving cream (the nozzle was broken so it wouldn't squirt out).  I felt kind of dumb returning something that cost around $2, but I wouldn't throw $2 in the trash, so there you go!

I'm amazed at the stuff the grocery store will accept for return and replacement; even things like produce that went bad a day or two after purchase, they'll cheerfully accept and provide another one. I guess most people never even think to ask.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7353 on: November 04, 2016, 11:18:05 AM »
Wanted to get a small box for storing some stuff in and decided that I'd prefer to spend a bit of money to get a nice decorative one, as it'll be in a place where it's always on view. Found a lovely one in a large department store in the big town earlier in the week but luckily they didn't have it in the size I wanted - €16!!! For a cardboard box. Rather than trying another branch I decided to really think about whether I could come up with some other solution instead. Walked around my small town for a while this afternoon and remembered that there is a shop that sells a huge mix of random household stuff and pet supplies and called in there. Got a decent looking sturdy box for €4 and everything fits perfectly.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #7354 on: November 04, 2016, 11:41:11 AM »
Went to a neighboring town's center. The parking lot was full, the streets behind it were all resident parking, and the on-street parking is newly metered with hefty rates. My errand would have cost me $2 in parking. Drove 2 blocks beyond and parked for free.

My town is about to meter their center as well. I wonder how local merchants feel about it. They're already not competitive and there are a lot of storefront vacancies.

Mel70

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7355 on: November 04, 2016, 11:44:40 AM »
Use recycled t-shirts for cleaning up messes, etc.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7356 on: November 04, 2016, 04:08:56 PM »
Got a free flu shot.

The government where I live pays for everyone. I used to get one when I had to pay, though.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7357 on: November 04, 2016, 05:17:21 PM »
I have started bringing up the idea of a low-fuss, low-stuff Christmas with MiL.

Every year I bring it up, and every year she agrees then panic-shops on Christmas Eve.

We are slowly making progress from year to year, so I'm hoping that by bringing it up now the idea will have time to marinate. Then I can re-visit it throughout November and early December, and hopefully it just might stick.

I've proposed a bottle exchange - we give them a bottle champagne, they give us a bottle of our favourite spirits, and everyone gets in the Christmas spirit.

nyxst

• Bristles
    • AgainstAllOdds
« Reply #7358 on: November 05, 2016, 09:27:12 PM »
I was invited to a housewarming party for some old friends that I haven't seen in a long time. Gifts were discouraged on the invitation, but they brought me a gift for my housewarming party over a decade ago and I felt I couldn't go empty handed. I had to buy them something.... Ugh.  They are both environmentally conscious people and are also vegetarian/vegan. I stopped at the thrift store near me with the best book section and found a BRAND NEW cookbook called Rice and Spice for vegetarian cooks and another brand new book of Thai Food recipes ( not completely vegetarian, but mostly, and even the meat dishes were mostly sauces and whatnot that the meat could be left out easily). Each for $1.00. AND I found a beautiful hand-made pressed paper gift bag with rose petal accents for $0.50! This gift did not look in any way second-hand.  total spent, $2.50..…

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7359 on: November 05, 2016, 09:51:19 PM »
Making jam for the first time in a few years. We don't eat much jam, but these batches will be used for scones with jam and cream at a family event (now that's a frugal treat!), and I want to get back in the habit so I can make it for Christmas presents.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7360 on: November 05, 2016, 10:04:30 PM »
* Discovered yesterday that we were invited to a 4yo birthday party (digital invites were going to trash folder) so scrambled today and was able to regift a brand-new girl-friendly book and wrap it quickly in wrapping paper I picked up on Buy Nothing a few months back.

* Line-dried laundry

* Used cloth diapers, breastfed the baby

* Used up the last of a box of cocoa to make brownies as my usual Saturday night "leftover night" reward.

* Made a frittata using garden produce (basil, tomatoes, eggplant) and backyard chicken eggs

* Worked on my 5K training with the Couch-to-5k smartphone app instead of joining a gym to try to get back in shape

* Hauled several wheelbarrow loads from our pile of FREE shredded-tree mulch to the backyard to protect and build soil during the rainy season

* Watched a documentary online for free instead of going to see Doctor Strange in the theaters (it'll be online soon enough)

* Just put overnight oatmeal in the crock-pot for breakfast tomorrow
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 10:11:21 PM by jengod »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7361 on: November 06, 2016, 12:01:02 AM »
Cancelled Stan streaming service. Saved $10/month.

Had a discussion with husband about cancelling his union membership, which would save $55/month, and lowering our health insurance to save $130/month. Still in a holding pattern on these two till we get more information but it would mean significant savings if we pull the trigger.

A close friend lost a young family member in tragic circumstances this week. We discussed sending flowers or similar, but every gesture felt insignificant in the face of her loss. She called me yesterday and asked for help with something, and it was such a relief to be able to say, "We'll take care of it" and take that burden off her.

(I hope that comment isn't out of place on this thread. I wasn't looking for a way to avoid spending money on my friend, just cognisant of the fact that money can't fix everything.)

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7362 on: November 06, 2016, 01:52:53 PM »
A friend received a coffee shop gift card.
He passed it on to me
I used it to buy and bring by a coffee for his wife
The circle continues... haha.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7363 on: November 06, 2016, 08:30:41 PM »
Replaced the button on my winter coat.  It was one of those buttons with a "neck" and that is where it broke. I've had trouble finding the right size replacement for under $15!  So tonight I soaked the big plastic button in warm water to limber it up a bit then drilled holes.  Tried to get smooth edges so they won't cut the thread.  Pretty pleased with my ingenuity.

I also made myself a bralette out of an old lace tank top and bits of salvaged elastic and ribbon.  Not perfect but just as nice as the one I removed from my target shopping cart.

I got $21.75 in ibotta rewards! Usually they aren't for items I use and it's not worth my time but I managed to get a nice combination of coupons and bonuses and it all added up this week.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 08:33:43 PM by PMG »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7364 on: November 06, 2016, 08:33:50 PM »
Met friends for coffee instead of dinner. Still not ideal, but way cheaper. Plus, we ended up staying and talking 4.5hrs. No way we could have done that in a busy restaurant.

llorona

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7365 on: November 06, 2016, 10:39:58 PM »
Cleaned the back of a closet. Found a dozen sponges and half a bottle of hand soap.

Bought tarragon seeds online to grow in the garden. The seeds were almost as cheap as buying a single small container of herbs at the store. Got free shipping, too.

bestideaever

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7366 on: November 06, 2016, 11:54:15 PM »
Just started moving towards the MMM lifestyle mid-August.

- Today, cooked all breakfasts, lunches and dinners for the week. Finally going to be able to resist the siren call of restaurants at every turn when I'm at work and get hungry, or come home famished. Pretty proud of this since it's my first time around doing all 5 days at once.

- Went to buy an on-sale enameled cast iron pot via public transit. Once in the store, started picking up other things from my needs list, but realized I could barely carry the heavy pot by itself. Put everything else back, so that I could take public transit back, rather than buying too many things to carry on foot and having to call an Uber/cab. Rushed to get all my errands done, so I could ride back on the same $2.25 ticket that is good for 3 hours round-trip.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7367 on: November 07, 2016, 01:19:16 AM »
Bought Christmas stamps today and will start writing cards tonight.

Australia Post is taking a good two weeks to deliver mail interstate now, and I don't want to pay for express post.

(Many of the cards I send are for business contacts of my husband, and the cost is worth the goodwill. I have cut back the number of personal cards we send. And the cards themselves have been in a cupboard since I bought them marked down in January.)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #7368 on: November 07, 2016, 07:16:51 AM »
Bought tarragon seeds online to grow in the garden. The seeds were almost as cheap as buying a single small container of herbs at the store. Got free shipping, too.

French tarragon is only reproduced by cuttings.  What you're probably getting is Texas tarragon.  Not saying it won't be a good herb, but might not be what you're expecting.  If you can get a French tarragon plant though - once it gets going, it will produce a ton and is very low maintenance.  https://bonnieplants.com/growing/growing-french-tarragon/

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #7369 on: November 07, 2016, 10:44:07 AM »
- Invited friends over to my house instead of our usual quarterly dinner date.  Served a bottle of wine I got as a gift, and my guests brought the snacks.

- Free lunch at work today (leftovers from a weekend meeting)

- Replaced my son's shoes for $20.  Splurged in the spring and bought him his first pair of "high end" runners (New Balance) and he wore a hole through the toe in the summer.  I was so disappointed since this had never happened in his hand-me-down or Payless-type of runners before.  Contacted New Balance and after a few emails, they offered me a $50 promo code + free shipping.  Bought their cheapest pair and paid $20 out of pocket, but got to buy it in the next size up at least!

- Starting conversations with family members about doing a "Secret Santa" gift exchange amongst the adults instead of the usual gift extravaganza.  We'll see how it goes.

- Did a mini photo shoot of my kids for our annual Christmas card instead of paying $100 with a professional photographer (who does absolutely gorgeous holiday shoots - I will do it one year for sure, but not this year).

- Did not order daycare photos because they were horrible (my son was sick and my daughter was upset during the shoot).  I took photos of the proofs to be able to laugh at them one day, but at $18 per print, I was not about to shell out for a gag.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7370 on: November 07, 2016, 03:38:14 PM »
I cooked / baked yesterday, for family & guest dinner, plus bread and calzones for this week.  Tried new recipes too.

Then, because it seemed cheap baking, I found a recipe cost calculator that I like a LOT, and spent too much time updating it...

https://www.cookkeepbook.com/

My Calculations

Calzones (Spinach and Ricotta):  $10 for 6 Large servings
Steelcut Oatmeal with Egg $0.45/ pp
Fried Rice with Veg and a full serving of Sausage $1.45 per person (YAY! So Cheap!!)
Beef and Cabbage Casserole $1.55 per person
American Sandwich Bread, made with honey and butter -- 750gm (approx) loaf for $1.34
2 cups of ricotta cheese (Homemade, for extra cheesy Calzones) $2.69
Apple Pie (with mostly free apples) and generous vanilla Ice Cream:  <$.50/ pp

Sugar cookies with Royal Icing (just calculated for a future fundraiser) $12 for 4-5 dozen medium 3" cookies

Hot Cocoa made with 50% milk  $0.37/cup

--------------------
I compared homemade cocoa with Carnation -- as long as the milk used to make each is the same, there wasn't much difference... I may need to look for cheaper sources of Cocoa...  But the kids' demand for the Carnation brand won't break us.  I was surprised but both came out to $0.37/cup.

llorona

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7371 on: November 07, 2016, 06:51:35 PM »
@Horsepoor: Thanks for the info! I had no idea. The seeds I got are for Russian tarragon. I used to have a French tarragon plant (delicious!) but it died. I'm going to plant the Russian seeds and do a taste comparison.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7372 on: November 07, 2016, 07:35:42 PM »
- Starting conversations with family members about doing a "Secret Santa" gift exchange amongst the adults instead of the usual gift extravaganza.  We'll see how it goes.

+1 for starting these conversations early. Before (most) people have started shopping.

Good luck.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7373 on: November 08, 2016, 07:40:19 AM »

My family did this when I was a kid. There were two groups, adults and kids. The adult group went by couple (Aunt A and Uncle A get one gift purchased by Aunt B and Uncle B). The name drawing was done in early November.

When all the cousins were adults we switched to doing a Chinese gift exchange/Yankee swap, so everyone brings one wrapped item and puts it under the tree. Draw numbers, #1 gets to pick from the pile and unwraps it in front of the group. #2 can either pick from under the tree or steal from #1. If #1's present is stolen then they can pick from under the tree. Once you get a few rounds in it gets a little crazy because #15 will steal from #9 who steals from #11 who steals from #3 when then takes something from under the tree. Usually we say that a particular item can only be stolen a maximum of three times, so there's some strategy involved (Aunt A will "steal" something from her husband that's already been stolen two times so that the item can't be stolen by anyone else). Good gifts to bring have been sports related swag, bed pillows, a basic set of tools the year that a bunch of different people moved house, and a bottle of a family favorite brand of booze (no one dared steal that from the heavily pregnant woman who declared that she was saving it for March).

I think it's really interesting the regional (I'm assuming) difference on this name! We call it "white elephant" here.

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7374 on: November 08, 2016, 08:24:25 AM »
I think it's really interesting the regional (I'm assuming) difference on this name! We call it "white elephant" here.

We call it "white elephant" or, my personal favorite, "angry santa".  :)

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7375 on: November 08, 2016, 08:51:41 AM »
Love the variation on this that allows you to "steal". Might have to suggest that the next time we have a big family christmas. This year, I'm planning on staying home and having a quiet one alone. After two years of big family celebrations, great though they were, I am really looking forward to it. I'll spend some time in December pouring over my cookbooks and choose something to cook that takes a bit more time and effort than usual (and that will give me enough leftovers to make other meals for a week). Have found some nice recipes from doing this. I think satay chicken from scratch was one of the best - that came about because a had a huge bag of monkey nuts (peanuts :) ) left over from halloween and wanted to use them.

Anyway, today I have saved money by taking the time before going to work to measure out the ingredients for this evening's dinner of pineapple rice. Been a while since I actually followed the recipe for this but I need to get a bit more serious about tracking proper quantities and portion control. It's all waiting to be cooked, which means no temptation to stop and get chips or a pizza on the way home (I recognised strong feelings of temptation in myself yesterday evening so trying to make it as easy as possible to resist).

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7376 on: November 08, 2016, 09:41:35 AM »
I failed to join a Massdrop sale and saved $200. Pretty lame way to save, huh?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 11:55:56 AM by chesebert »

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #7377 on: November 08, 2016, 10:43:59 AM »
They are doing a food drive at work and I still had a few canned goods to donate. Instead of driving, I walked the mile to work pulling my wheeled shopper. I usually ride my bike, but it was a bit too much to fit into my bike basket.

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7378 on: November 09, 2016, 09:12:19 AM »
* Brought home 2 jugs of orange juice from the fridge at work.  A rep had brought several by with bagels one day, and the unopened jugs went into the fridge.  They sat there for a week before I took them home.  They would have otherwise gone bad!

* Went on a test drive during my lunch break to get a free $50 Visa card.  Got the email with the card about 30 minutes after the test drive, and used it towards our cell phone payment.  Boring, but saves me $50 in the budget now this month.

* Really, really, realllllly wanted to stop for breakfast after standing in line to vote yesterday for almost 2 hours, but I held out and had my normal oatmeal at work instead.

* Signed my family up to make a gingerbread house at our local library the first of next month.  They provide all the supplies, so it will be a free few hours of family fun.  I love that our library does events like this. 

* Asked for a copy of my hospital bill from my son's birth to see what the individual charges were (since the EOB never gives that level of detail).  Found a drug on there that I know I did not receive during my visit, so they are looking further into my files to see why it's on there.  It should get taken off, which will save me about $400 (we have an HDHP, so everything is OOP until our deductible is met.)  Sadly, this is one of many issues I have had both with the hospital charges and insurance payments in regards to my son's birth.  It saddens me to think of how many hospital bills end up wrong, and people pay them without a second thought.

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #7379 on: November 09, 2016, 04:01:12 PM »
Cooked some beans I soaked overnight.  Haven't done that before, but cans are getting stupidly expensive where I live.  A can of refried beans is $3.59 - $.99!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7380 on: November 09, 2016, 09:56:18 PM »
Gave myself permission this morning to buy a 50 cent coffee this afternoon from the kcup machine at work. Soldiered through and did not buy anything. 

This evening I mended a shirt and did a major refashion of a skirt and a too big vest (sleeveless coat).

I started a new pair of pj shorts from fabric I had.  Will finish them soon!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7381 on: November 10, 2016, 08:29:58 AM »
I started a new pair of pj shorts from fabric I had.  Will finish them soon!

I took the time to add pockets to them and just finished them. They fit great and are comfortable and cute!  I am so pleased. I don't wear shorts often outside the house but I need new running shorts and next summer I'll want at least one pair for casual wear.  This pattern might just work for both of those uses with appropriate fabric, or work as a guide to help me refashion the too big ones I own.  That leads to even more saving! I am pleased.

I also glued the pleather back in place on my cell phone case. It lacks in aesthetic but is functional again.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 08:52:44 AM by PMG »

KCalla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7382 on: November 10, 2016, 10:34:00 AM »
Several number touch pads on our over the range microwave have not been working for some time. For example, to set One Minute, we'd key in 60 seconds since the 1 did not work.  Tried Unplugging  it, wait, plug it back in --  helped for one number only.   Searched the internet and you tube and thought, why not try a fix idea I found.  We unplugged the microwave (critical first step!), loosened the control panel, and as suggested on line, loosened, re inserted and re captured the flat ribbon connector.  So far, everything except the power percentage control, which we rarely use, is now working well. 
The idea was that, over time, opening and closing the microwave door and perhaps steam exposure had degraded the amount of contact the ribbon had with its receiver.  I don't know about that, but do love that it's working again.
We're surprised and thrilled by our success!
If it happens again, we will may disconnect all of the wire contact plug ins and wipe them off and reinsert. 

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7383 on: November 10, 2016, 10:42:41 AM »
Several number touch pads on our over the range microwave have not been working for some time. For example, to set One Minute, we'd key in 60 seconds since the 1 did not work.  Tried Unplugging  it, wait, plug it back in --  helped for one number only.   Searched the internet and you tube and thought, why not try a fix idea I found.  We unplugged the microwave (critical first step!), loosened the control panel, and as suggested on line, loosened, re inserted and re captured the flat ribbon connector.  So far, everything except the power percentage control, which we rarely use, is now working well. 
The idea was that, over time, opening and closing the microwave door and perhaps steam exposure had degraded the amount of contact the ribbon had with its receiver.  I don't know about that, but do love that it's working again.
We're surprised and thrilled by our success!
If it happens again, we will may disconnect all of the wire contact plug ins and wipe them off and reinsert.

Use dielectric grease if you take it back apart, it'll prevent the steam penetration between the contacts.  You can apply it to the relevant points using a q-tip.  :)

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #7384 on: November 10, 2016, 11:54:21 AM »
Swiped a can of soda from an office meeting yesterday and brought it back to my desk. It made for a nice treat today.

Pulled stuff out of the freezer to make a meal for tonight (made it last night for tonight) instead of waiting until the last minute.

Tomorrow will be taking advantage of a free family fun night organized by the school system at our local activity center. Saves us about $15 in swim fees and the kids have a blast with their friends. Will eat dinner beforehand to avoid expensive treats while there.

KCalla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7385 on: November 10, 2016, 02:13:55 PM »
Thank you PriestTheRunner.  You have taught me about another new thing.  Will do this next time.
Karen

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7386 on: November 10, 2016, 02:31:17 PM »
Usual things:

worked out in my home gym instead of having a gym membership

made a mocha at home instead of going out for coffee

still working at deep cleaning the house since purchase, instead of hiring a maid for the first big push (onto little random things now, like cleaning some old air freshener drips off a section of wall)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #7387 on: November 10, 2016, 02:59:16 PM »
Pulled into a sub shop parking lot to get a sandwich and after a brief pause went home and made a salad instead!

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7388 on: November 10, 2016, 05:14:44 PM »
Packed food for a long weekend trip - muffins for breakfast, empanadas and sandwiches on homemade sourdough for lunches and dinners, apples for snacks. We will probably only get two meals out in 3.5 days away from home.

I skipped a formal work event that was mandatory for DH - saved $75 on a ticket and $40 on childcare.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7389 on: November 10, 2016, 05:36:57 PM »
Did the Kroger survey to get extra fuel points.  I'm trying to get lots of extra points this month since we'll be renting a car and traveling for Christmas. I should end up with 40 cents off/ gallon of gas. 

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7390 on: November 11, 2016, 07:52:58 AM »
Did the Kroger survey to get extra fuel points.  I'm trying to get lots of extra points this month since we'll be renting a car and traveling for Christmas. I should end up with 40 cents off/ gallon of gas.

One thing I do to get extra gas points is volunteer to do the shopping for work events at Kroger.  We have some kind of event every couple of months so the extra points add up over the year.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7391 on: November 11, 2016, 01:24:55 PM »
Had an offer for a free Starbucks drink so I redeemed it. It was good but I can't believe how many people regularly spend $5 on them!

Returned a shirt and a sweater - I only have about 3 months left in what will probably be my last pregnancy, so I decided I need to make do with what I have rather than buying any more maternity clothes. The thrift store was offering a 50% discount for veterans. I asked if it applied to military spouses and they said sure, so I looked around and found a couple things that have been on my shopping list, including a pair of nice snow boots for my daughter for $4 - score!

I resisted the urge to get my dog's nails trimmed by the vet when we were there the other day and instead trimmed them myself today.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7392 on: November 11, 2016, 02:58:18 PM »
Made lunch and dinner for tonight last night.
Ate a protein bar instead of buying breakfast

I realized that I have the option for free dental and vision insurance coverage for me AND my DH.  I called my DH, and he cancelled his vision and dental through work.  We will save about ~$15/month pre-tax. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7393 on: November 11, 2016, 03:38:14 PM »
A couple of days ago I bought my HB some new ski poles that he needed. I found the wanted model in 2015 colors, half the price of this year's model with 2016 colors.

Today in the shop I didn't buy an overpriced Christmas bread, but instead bought ingredients to make one myself.

Today we found a good Christmas present (online) for a relative. After that we shopped around for the cheapest shop for that product.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 01:20:49 AM by Linda_Norway »

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #7394 on: November 11, 2016, 07:51:51 PM »
Only went to the grocery store today.  Stayed home otherwise and painted/did chores/read/hung with dogs.

Found 5 cents on the ground while walking the dogs.

Replaced our one family vehicle (a few days ago), had researched and watched for a good deal/vehicle for a month, noticed a ding in the windshield, and got another 500.00 off the purchase price.

Stopped in at goodwill for some cheap frames the other day. Found 2 0.50 cent frames as hoped and found black ankle boots for 6.50.  Literally had watched and waited for a pair for 6 months.  They are way nicer than the ones I almost bought new at the local fast fashion store!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7395 on: November 11, 2016, 10:54:03 PM »
Unexpected dry weather today so I'm catching up on washing from the past few days, hanging everything to dry.

I started writing Christmas cards so they will be done in time for cheap postage in early December.

Went grocery shopping and saved $51 (a gift card and specials).

I also bought a large picture frame for $10. One of my closest friends has some 'house rules' written on a piece of paper in her kitchen. I'm going to design a proper version and frame it as part of her Christmas present.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7396 on: November 11, 2016, 11:25:51 PM »
Dug up and potted brambleberry shoots today. Will either use them to expand our berry beds or eventually for sale

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #7397 on: November 12, 2016, 11:24:34 AM »
Last night we wanted to do something with the kids "OUT" and include a meal in it. So instead of taking them for Subs we Went to a college Soccer game and picked up a monster sub from our local grocer for 5.99$ which fed the 4 of us. Night out with dinner and damn that sub was good. That was less then the cost of one sub at pretty much and sub shop and fed 2 adults and 2 kids easily.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7398 on: November 12, 2016, 11:52:44 AM »
- Got a free copy of The Millionaire Next Door from our library's free book table, paid $1 for a few kids books my son loves and will eventually chew/destroy.
- Sold a bigger piece of baby gear for exactly what I paid for it a year ago.
- went to farmers market and picked up cheap in-season root veg. Roasting them now.
- making banana bread to bring to a board game night tonight.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #7399 on: November 12, 2016, 07:07:42 PM »
Used 10.00 worth of paint on 2 5.00 chairs to finish out a "matching set" for our dining room.

Planned some meals out of what we have on hand and some condiments we need to clear out of the fridge.

Drank lots of water and coffee....a bum around the house day so I mostly nibbled on misc foodstuffs.

Hung dry clothes

Kept the heat low overnight and wore slippers, sweats and a hoodie until the sun warmed the house up :)