Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020596 times)

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #7100 on: September 20, 2016, 08:08:04 PM »
Using the calendar and phone alerts is genius!

I made pumpkin cookies using a roasted sugar pumpkin (I weighed the flesh and it came out quite a bit cheaper than canned), and homemade yogurt using the crockpot.

D'oh, I should have bought some fresh pumpkin today instead of cans; pumpkin cookies sound delish!

Today, I admitted my husband and my need for snacks and treats(mostly his), and had the foresight to buy a box of cookies at the grocery store.  Now we won't feel the strong urge to go out for milkshakes, and he promised to stop buying snacks at the convenience store.  I also bought big bags of chips for his lunch, and parceled them out into quart-sized zipper bags, so he won't eat so much at once.

I also bought two dressers from a local yard sale facebook group, for $20 each.  I painted them white, and let my daughters each pick a sample-sized paint color to paint their own designs on the sides.  They turned out super cute, and now my daughters finally have dressers!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7101 on: September 21, 2016, 12:35:21 AM »
I just finished all 147 pages of this thread...and it  was glorious :D

Impressive!!!!

newelljack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7102 on: September 21, 2016, 11:48:04 AM »
Topped off my power steering fluid by myself to troubleshoot a funny noise before taking it to a mechanic. And it worked! Fluid was low so air was getting in and making noise.

I also bought the Haynes manual for my car, which I know is SPENDING money, but hopefully that will SAVE me money down the road.

I just finished all 147 pages of this thread...and it  was glorious :D

That is a great way to save money: learning from others!

Eilonwy

• Stubble
« Reply #7103 on: September 21, 2016, 07:53:32 PM »
Went to a high-end supermarket I don't usually shop at to stock up on very reasonably priced high quality meat. Also found local squashes on sale.

I made meat and vegetables in our instant pot and it came out very well. A question -- I used 2 cups of homemade turkey broth for the recipe, and most of it is still broth. Is it safe to reuse? I wouldn't refreeze it, of course.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7104 on: September 22, 2016, 02:05:05 PM »

I made meat and vegetables in our instant pot and it came out very well. A question -- I used 2 cups of homemade turkey broth for the recipe, and most of it is still broth. Is it safe to reuse? I wouldn't refreeze it, of course.

Safe to use assuming it didn't sit around at room temp for a while.  At least I have refrozen liquids in similar circumstances with no ill effects.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7105 on: September 22, 2016, 02:57:12 PM »
Signed up to donate blood tomorrow, and was informed that after I do so I'll be given a coupon for a free haircut.
NICE!
I'd have donated either way, but I'll take the free cut. :)

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7106 on: September 23, 2016, 01:40:58 AM »
Very much pleased with myself today. I rewired a step-down transformer for step-up operation. Even rewired the display unit so I know exactly the output voltage. Initially called around town to get quotes for the work and the cheapest I got was $150. One tech I spoke with mentioned that I can do the work myself and confirmed my understanding of operation of transformer.

It has been at least 10 years since I did any electronics work. I busting out my old text book, did a bunch of googling and prayed nothing would blow up when I flip the switch. Plugged in the power cord, took a deep breath and flipped the switch and the display showed 230v - success!

For those curious, the designed primary is 220v and secondary is 115v, which I flipped around. It's a big unit rated for 3kva with 220v as primary. Following the operation the unit is now rated for 1.5kva with 115v as primary.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7107 on: September 23, 2016, 08:35:15 AM »
Oh how I adore my husband. Earlier this week, we drew up tentative plans and priced out building garden beds. Not too bad, and it's on the "to do list".

Yesterday I come home from work, and he gleefully informs me that I 'have a big present in the back yard'. Go into the back- it's a fully assembled, VERY well constructed garden bed. Perfect! Even better- it was FREE. I guess he was out for a run and saw it with a "free" sign in a neighbor's driveway. He showed me the picture, and it was from a house a couple blocks over that has a wonderful garden.

Now here's my chuckling-as-I-type-moment: the thought dawned on me that it is a large, heavy, fully assembled rectangle of wood. And I had the truck yesterday. And it was over 2 blocks away. "How did you get this home?" My dear husband is not a small man. I guess he decided just to heft the thing home! But he couldn't hold it sideways... I guess he had to carry it in essentially a snatch grip overhead.
Kinda like so:

So now I'm cracking up. I was being cheeky when I named my journal "the roughest mustachians on the nicest block". We just moved in over a month ago, and my wonderful husband decided to walk 1/4 mi shirtless, sweaty from his run, with dirt raining down on his head, so that he could proudly bring me home a free present =D Well, at least we're living up to that journal title!

SomedayStache

• Pencil Stache
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #7108 on: September 23, 2016, 08:38:46 AM »
Marvelous image!!!

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7109 on: September 23, 2016, 11:53:40 AM »

So now I'm cracking up. I was being cheeky when I named my journal "the roughest mustachians on the nicest block". We just moved in over a month ago, and my wonderful husband decided to walk 1/4 mi shirtless, sweaty from his run, with dirt raining down on his head, so that he could proudly bring me home a free present =D Well, at least we're living up to that journal title!

What a great gift! What a great guy!

Do you think he had that expression on his face when he was carrying it down the street?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7110 on: September 23, 2016, 12:17:29 PM »

What a great gift! What a great guy!

Do you think he had that expression on his face when he was carrying it down the street?

I vaguely hope so. It *was* after a pretty intense weight lifting workout before the run, so I'm just picturing the Olympic-like struggle to Garden Victory.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7111 on: September 23, 2016, 02:46:47 PM »
Picked up a penny in the parking lot

Saved .30/gal at the gas station using grocery fuel points

Saved 23% off my monthly grocery trip by shopping the sales, and using paper coupons and e-coupons

Brought the usual leftovers and coffee to the office all week

And, LOL Bracken_Joy!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 02:51:16 PM by MountainGal »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #7112 on: September 23, 2016, 06:39:56 PM »
Parked at Wal-Mart an Walked across the street to an event to save $5 for parking

Made soup from I ingredients I had on hand instead of going g to the store to buy stuff to make pizza.

Enjoying a drink at home instead of going out for a pint and or getting pizza ( I have pizza on the brain)

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #7113 on: September 23, 2016, 08:45:21 PM »
Used a coupon for weekly lunch with hubby....they let us stack on top of a 10% card too..VIP cards from Culvers.  Let's just say before I started tracking this, we ate way too much custard.

Hubby wanted to go to a movie last night...I told him that I would prefer if our date night were coffee and a walk around the park.  He agreed :)

Picked up a penny yesterday morning and a penny today.

Hubby will be out of town all week next week.  He will have the hotel covered, gas covered for his company car, and all his meals covered.  He may buy the occasional beer at dinner from his pocket, but otherwise it will be a no cost week for him.  I will be home, doing my normal work and activities, but I will try to make the week spend free.  I already planned a coffee date with a friend, but otherwise I plan to live on whats in the fridge (made a crockpot of soup for my dinners!) and avoid using any extra gas or any spending money.  Wish me luck!

Finally, I am watching movies at home tonight.  Hubby is camping with friends.  I"m working on my sewing skills, hoping to hone them into being able to sew some gifts from my fabric stash.  Stuffed birds for the nieces...or, thats the goal..lol!

nico demouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7114 on: September 24, 2016, 06:57:51 AM »
This was yesterday...

Picked up a penny on my run.

Picked up a couple pounds of dry beans from a friend who had decided to stop eating them.

Similarly acquired some grass fed liver. We're not fans, but I want to try dehydrating some for dog training treats. Treats are expensive, liver doesn't seem to be. Around here, lots of friends buy meat by the quarter or half but don't eat organ meat.

Didn't quite offset the money I spent on X-rays at the vet today, but...

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7115 on: September 24, 2016, 09:34:27 AM »
I've spent most of the week washing, organizing, and packing into storage clothing for my kids(3 girls, makes it easy!).  I boxed up too-small or out of season clothing to save for the next kid, and unboxed a big tub of "new" clothes for the youngest.  She was absolutely thrilled.  This morning, a church right near my house had a clothing swap, so I dropped off the youngest's outgrown clothes, and got enough clothes to round out everyone's winter wardrobe(including a nice snow coat for the oldest!).  Free clothes shopping is best clothes shopping!

Erma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7116 on: September 24, 2016, 12:53:50 PM »
I changed the method of payment for my prepaid phone to credit card. Now I get grocery store points for it instead of nothing at no additional cost.

RetirementDreaming

• Stubble
« Reply #7117 on: September 24, 2016, 01:04:27 PM »
Daughter wanted Carl's Jr after gymnastics this morning.  I said no, came home and made bacon cheeseburgers.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 02:09:15 PM by RetirementDreaming »

LouLou

• Bristles
« Reply #7118 on: September 24, 2016, 01:29:11 PM »
My heavily used rice cooker died.  I decided to replace it with an instant pot.  Instead of buying new, I bought a used one on ebay.  Saved $40.

Eilonwy

• Stubble
« Reply #7119 on: September 25, 2016, 01:38:17 PM »
I rode my bike to the farmer's market instead of driving. Got some decent deals, too.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7120 on: September 25, 2016, 01:57:49 PM »
Brother asked me to pick up a gift card for my mom for her birthday. Rather than go to the store itself, we went to a grocery store that sells a lot of gift cards. 6% back on groceries on our CC, plus it allowed us to group trips and save on a bit of gas. So we got 6% on the $75 gift card, and brother paid us back right away.

In the same conversation, told another brother about Cardpool. He drinks a lot of starbucks, so I told him about using cardpool cards to fill his app at 9% off. He was very excited. I sent him a referral link, so we will both get $5 off if he uses it.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7121 on: September 25, 2016, 06:47:11 PM »
Meal planned, made a week's worth of breakfast for my husband, cut his hair, baked sourdough bread, and bought a Kitchen Aid mixer for $25 on the local but/sell Facebook group that will be my brother's Christmas gift. All in all a pretty good day!

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7122 on: September 25, 2016, 09:02:29 PM »
I was expecting to be paid last Thursday for one of my fun part-time gigs, since it was the second-last Thursday of the month and that is payday there. I found out on Friday that they had moved payday to the last Thursday of the month, while I was on a involuntary summer off from this gig.  There is no money coming in until Tuesday (different gig). I had $4 in my wallet.

There was plenty of good food in the house for me and the kitties and gas in the car.

I returned $8 worth of bottles and milk cartons for the deposit, bought a lb of ground coffee and a very tiny bottle of gingerale to counteract occasional nausea from a new med. Still have $4.

The whole cheque will go into savings when I get it, instead if my using $30-$40 on odds and ends during the weekend.

I'm mad noone told me about the payday change, though.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7123 on: September 25, 2016, 09:24:34 PM »
No airport food. Ate a (free to me) clif bar I packed and had some in flight cola. It was not easy to make it from 4:30 am until I got home at noon.

No checked bag.

Initially there were no ubers available but instead of getting a taxi I waited a few minutes until a driver was free. Reduced cost by half.

Walked to Kroger and bought what was on my list.  Redeemed several free coupons. Sparkling water, gum, a breakfast bar and a pack of Swedish fish. Not stuff I buy regularly but definitely things I enjoy. I've put them away to save for days I need treats.  My list was mostly fruits and veggies. Walked home.

I taught my boyfriend how to make hot cocoa with milk and cocoa powder. I expect it will reduce his coffee shop purchases and save him money.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7124 on: September 26, 2016, 06:00:46 AM »
Leaving on a two day amusement park holiday for DS bday today- I had a chicken breast in the fridge that I couldn't refreeze, so I quickly baked it and made a salad, and took that for my lunch. Much tastier and cheaper than the usual junk food available at these places ($12 for a hotdog and drink?!?).

Got to the hotel tonight and walked down to the nearest supermarket for supplies- got him treats and myself dried fruit/nuts/seeds and an apple for $3, which will be a perfect treat lunch to keep me going tomorrow.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7125 on: September 26, 2016, 06:46:29 AM »
Woke up to below-freezing temperatures outside and a house that was 17 degrees (yay rural quebec...). I'm working from home today...

Instead of turning on the heat, I put on an extra sweater, found my slippers, and put a blanket over my legs while I'm at the computer. We can heat, if necessary, for 2-3 hours tonight when everyone is home, but I'll be damned if I heat the whole house to sit in front of a computer in one room.

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7126 on: September 26, 2016, 08:25:42 AM »
Woke up to below-freezing temperatures outside and a house that was 17 degrees (yay rural quebec...). I'm working from home today...

Instead of turning on the heat, I put on an extra sweater, found my slippers, and put a blanket over my legs while I'm at the computer. We can heat, if necessary, for 2-3 hours tonight when everyone is home, but I'll be damned if I heat the whole house to sit in front of a computer in one room.

For us yanks, that means 62 degrees F.  No her (his?) pipes aren't freezing, calm down.

But if you were just going to throw on a sweater at -8c, that would be pretty hardcore.  :)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7127 on: September 26, 2016, 08:39:51 AM »

I opened windows last night, house was 14 this morning.  Bliss after nights in the 20's and running the AC.  Beautiful sunny day, house is already up to 15.  There was frost on the deck but even the tender plants seem to be still OK.  Time to dig the sweet potatoes, I think.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7128 on: September 26, 2016, 09:55:12 AM »
Finally called to lower my insurance on a 2006 vehicle. Was paying 902, now paying 557/year. Don't know why I waited so long!

However, I also added a second vehicle and am back up to 958/year, until I can sell the other car.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7129 on: September 26, 2016, 01:15:33 PM »

I opened windows last night, house was 14 this morning.  Bliss after nights in the 20's and running the AC.  Beautiful sunny day, house is already up to 15.  There was frost on the deck but even the tender plants seem to be still OK.  Time to dig the sweet potatoes, I think.

Haha! I clearly live in the wrong place - give me sweltering heat any day. I'm always cold, and cold shuts me down. I'm hardening myself up slowly! Sweaters!!

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #7130 on: September 26, 2016, 08:44:11 PM »
Had to repair the mailbox and post due to someone sideswiping it.  Almost headed to lowes for block to anchor the foundation, then remembered pavers the previous owners left behind. Almost went to lowes for an 18 inch board to mount the mailbox on (old one was rotted and cracked in two).  Then i saw the perfect piece in the work scrap pile.  Asked for it and got it.  No money spent, and I did the repairs/used powertools without the hubby's help!!

Ate leftover soup from the freezer and stale crackers for lunch.  (Stale crackers taste ok in soup)

Drank water and coffee.

Used spotify for an at-home "zumba'  (aka...I danced around my house,,,like a nut)  I sweated, didn't drive, and found my 'gym class' replacement. 

Bought a last minute gift at goodwill.  New with tags items for the win! Spent less than 5.00.

Deposited 'rebate' checks from our health insurance company.  Yay, 20.64 into savings.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #7131 on: September 27, 2016, 05:22:27 PM »
Deposited $1400 in rent checks.. always feels good at least..:)

Made the Traditional IRA contributions for me and DW which will save on taxes.

llorona

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7132 on: September 27, 2016, 06:02:55 PM »
Deposited $6 from recycling cans and an $8 check from ebates.

Redeemed $60 from doing Pinecone Research surveys. It's only $3 a pop but it adds up. This will go toward Christmas presents.

Bought two nice-quality woven rag rugs for $5 at a garage sale over the weekend. Washed them this morning and hung them out to dry in the sun. One is now by the kitchen sink and the other is near the pantry door.

Refrained from buying a popsicle at the Mexican grocery store, even though it was sooo tempting in the 90+ degree heat.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 06:24:39 PM by llorona »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7133 on: September 27, 2016, 06:29:07 PM »
Planning my route on my afternoon walks so that I don't pass near a starbucks. No need for the temptation.

Now that I have a food processor, I've started shredding our own carrots and cabbage rather than buying pre-shredded.

Eilonwy

• Stubble
« Reply #7134 on: September 27, 2016, 08:34:05 PM »
I found a loyalty card online that saved me $40 on a prescription.

Nemesis.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Zazzle site
« Reply #7135 on: September 27, 2016, 08:38:34 PM »
I attended a lunch presentation about revised codes regarding the slip coefficient for porcelain tile..."free lunch" and a vendor "happy hour" where they brought empanadas :)

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7136 on: September 28, 2016, 07:24:28 AM »
I attended a lunch presentation about revised codes regarding the slip coefficient for porcelain tile..."free lunch" and a vendor "happy hour" where they brought empanadas :)

Ooooh, lucky. I LOVE empanadas!

I was unhappy about the aesthetics of the home office (both Husband and I work from home 3 days a week) - it was cluttered and super bare and not appealing to be in, and spending 24 hours a week in that sucks.

50$ on Kijiji and Facebook found a nice wood filing cabinet and short bookcase (we can reduce clutter, but some things we actually gotta keep, so may as well be pretty...) Repurposing curtains we had on plumbing pipes (uneven ceiling means traditional curtain rods won't do, but this works and costs less than 30$) will hide the wine rack and chest freezer we stashed in there. And I picked up a large box of ugly wood frames at a garage sale for free (seriously - I asked if sh had frames, and she said she had forgotten to take them to the dump and I could have them). A coat of white spray paint (left over from another project) and they look decent. Then I stalked design bloggers and found some free posters and illustrations to print, and will put up a gallery wall. Only thing left to get is. Decent desk lamp - I've found gorgeous brass lamps at the thrift store near here for 10$, and 10$ for re-wiring supplies should cover it.

Conclusion: we de-cluttered, put away, bought storage, made pretty, and generally created an appealing and decently-designed room for under 100$, and now I don't feel cranky every time I go downstairs to do work, so I avoid leaving to go work in a coffee shop or more appealing environment. Pretty houses don't have to be expensive. :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 07:31:41 AM by Kitsune »

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #7137 on: September 28, 2016, 12:23:14 PM »
Did a dump run with all the old roofing shingles from a rental re-roof, plus assorted crap from other jobs.. Came to exactly 1 ton for $70.. yipes..:(

However while there these fencing contractors showed up to dump some stuff, in short I scored half a roll of high tensile fencing wire plus two very decent 8ft pressure treated posts..:)

Redstone5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7138 on: September 28, 2016, 12:54:18 PM »
Ate soup at my desk today instead of buying lunch.

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #7139 on: September 28, 2016, 01:24:52 PM »
Made shrimp tacos at home instead of going to our favorite Mexican place.  And the shrimp at home were given to us for free...bonus!

Eilonwy

• Stubble
« Reply #7140 on: September 28, 2016, 04:45:37 PM »
Rode my bike to the library, and then joined my son after school and persuaded him to ride home with me for an inexpensive treat instead of going to the store.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7141 on: September 28, 2016, 04:51:44 PM »
I walked a mile both ways in the rain to pick up my CSA share. 

I got a free umbrella!  My super was asking if I was going to walk home in the rain.  Yes. I have a rain jacket.  She asked if I had an umbrella. Mine broke a couple months ago.  She was delighted to give me one that has been in the lost and found for a year. She's tried to give it away several times.  I am delighted! and I put it to good use on that CSA walk. Now I can delete it out of my target shopping cart. 

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7142 on: September 28, 2016, 05:19:12 PM »
My son's feet grew again. Kids... He's now the owner of a $4 pair of name-brand sneakers from the thrift store in my preferred color (everything either is, or coordinates with, navy blue. Makes life so much easier).

I used up some random veggies that were sitting in the fridge to make fried rice for lunch. Delicious!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7143 on: September 28, 2016, 10:46:03 PM »
I walked a mile both ways in the rain to pick up my CSA share. 

I got a free umbrella!  My super was asking if I was going to walk home in the rain.  Yes. I have a rain jacket.  She asked if I had an umbrella. Mine broke a couple months ago.  She was delighted to give me one that has been in the lost and found for a year. She's tried to give it away several times.  I am delighted! and I put it to good use on that CSA walk. Now I can delete it out of my target shopping cart.
Nice!

I gave away a few items in our neighborhood Buy Nothing Group today.

I hosted my book club this month.  Made tea, people brought wine, had some snacks.  Much cheaper than going out to do happy hour or drinks.

I packed my lunch and snacks.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #7144 on: September 28, 2016, 11:01:16 PM »
I paid for a horse trainer to come out and school my horse.  Pretty sure it will spare me some medical bills that I would have incurred if I'd continued to DIY the training on my current horse. 

Homemade yogurt for breakfast, leftovers for lunch and dinner, mostly consisting of homegrown veggies.

Just finished listing a bunch of stuff on eBay.

doug111

• Stubble
« Reply #7145 on: September 28, 2016, 11:10:01 PM »
I'm not talking about anything big -- just the little things that add up, things that other people might not consider doing.  Here's something I just did:

Last night I sautéd a yellow squash, a zucchini, and an onion as a side dish.  We had perhaps 2/3 a cup of vegetables leftover.  No one would've eaten those as leftovers.  Knowing I was going to make chili tonight, I saved them, chopped them up finely, and hid them in the chili.  It bulked up the chili, perhaps adding one more serving, and it added some extra veggie-power to the chili.  No one else will even know that last night's vegetables are making a second appearance.

Also, earlier today I took a ziplock of homemade soup to work for lunch.  I made it a month or so ago, and no one else in the family liked it . . . so instead of watching it slowly go bad in the refrigerator, I froze it into individual portions for my own lunches.  Added benefit:  I love having homemade ready-to-go lunches.  Negative:  If I leave them in the refrigerator at work, the night janitors steal them.
I ate dandelion salad fresh picked from my backyard today !!!! lol !!!!

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7146 on: September 29, 2016, 07:42:24 AM »
I'm not talking about anything big -- just the little things that add up, things that other people might not consider doing.  Here's something I just did:

Last night I sautéd a yellow squash, a zucchini, and an onion as a side dish.  We had perhaps 2/3 a cup of vegetables leftover.  No one would've eaten those as leftovers.  Knowing I was going to make chili tonight, I saved them, chopped them up finely, and hid them in the chili.  It bulked up the chili, perhaps adding one more serving, and it added some extra veggie-power to the chili.  No one else will even know that last night's vegetables are making a second appearance.

Also, earlier today I took a ziplock of homemade soup to work for lunch.  I made it a month or so ago, and no one else in the family liked it . . . so instead of watching it slowly go bad in the refrigerator, I froze it into individual portions for my own lunches.  Added benefit:  I love having homemade ready-to-go lunches.  Negative:  If I leave them in the refrigerator at work, the night janitors steal them.
I ate dandelion salad fresh picked from my backyard today !!!! lol !!!!

My parents talked a lot about eating dandelion greens - but never went out and collected them! Fortunately, they never sent me out either. My understanding is that you need to collect before they bloom. It's fall here - so lots of dandelions with no blooms - are those edible (I never see the foliage die back after flowering)

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7147 on: September 29, 2016, 08:44:03 AM »
Yes Dandelion greens are edible as long as you are sure there are no chemicals or pee.

Treat them like spinach or arugula. You can add a bit to spice up a mixed green salad.

But if very bitter they are better cooked & served with oil & lemon. Or baked  in a Greek style spinach pie. Spanakopita.

Enjoy.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7148 on: September 29, 2016, 07:36:29 PM »
Yes Dandelion greens are edible as long as you are sure there are no chemicals or pee.

Treat them like spinach or arugula. You can add a bit to spice up a mixed green salad.

But if very bitter they are better cooked & served with oil & lemon. Or baked  in a Greek style spinach pie. Spanakopita.

Enjoy.

Dandelion is also good in green smoothies.

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7149 on: September 30, 2016, 03:49:06 PM »
Mr.T: "Honey, do you want me to pick up a pizza on the way home?"

Me:  "What are you, nuts?  There's bok choy in the fridge, and pasta in the pantry!"

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!