Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020991 times)

halseyskates33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #7050 on: September 14, 2016, 11:41:50 AM »
Pre made all lunches and dinners for the week. Comes out to under $1.50 a serving and all whole food. Picked up 6 dozen eggs expiring 10/20 for 0.80 each making each of my breakfasts a whopping 18 cents.

Am under budget and have not purchased anything outside of food and bills this month. Small victory, but I am pretty impressed with myself.

Also, my temp job has been extended into October so another month of a salary : )

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7051 on: September 14, 2016, 02:14:24 PM »
This is kind of an ongoing thing, but taking extra-good care of my face so I can leave the house without makeup, without feeling super self-conscious.  My skin looks better than it has in almost 20 years!

Cognitive Miser

• Stubble
« Reply #7052 on: September 14, 2016, 03:57:44 PM »
I had to buy lunch out today for some stupid reasons... but I went to a place I've been to before that has a really excellent Cobb salad, and ordered same.

Got the salad back to my office and it was nowhere near up to the usual standards.  I called the restaurant and asked if they wanted feedback on today's manifestation.  They patched me through to the manager, who offered to refund my lunch as a thank-you for calling directly instead of posting a nasty review on Yelp.  So... free lunch today!

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7053 on: September 14, 2016, 06:57:33 PM »
Found a 5 cu ft chest freezer on facebook for $25.  It reeks, which was why it was so cheap.  So I'm drying it out, checking all the drains, sealing the seams with RTV sealant, and using charcoal to absorb the odor. 

The timing was perfect.  I have to pick all my peppers this weekend but my tomatoes aren't ripe yet.  So the jalapenos have got to keep until I can make salsa.  The bell peppers are going to be cut into fajita ready strips.  The Anaheims will be roasted and frozen in muffin tins.  I'll also be freezing sliced zucchini, green beans, some corn, and a couple of cases of strawberries that are on sale this week.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #7054 on: September 14, 2016, 11:50:05 PM »
Went for a romantic and fun date: we biked around the sea walk and had a picnic dinner at sunset.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7055 on: September 15, 2016, 07:25:35 AM »
Pre made all lunches and dinners for the week. Comes out to under $1.50 a serving and all whole food. Picked up 6 dozen eggs expiring 10/20 for 0.80 each making each of my breakfasts a whopping 18 cents.

Am under budget and have not purchased anything outside of food and bills this month. Small victory, but I am pretty impressed with myself.

Also, my temp job has been extended into October so another month of a salary : )

You're doing great! I'm impressed too.

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7056 on: September 15, 2016, 07:27:10 AM »
We're going to be out of town this weekend, and have leftovers in the fridge that we won't have time to eat.  So this morning I remembered to put them in the freezer, so they won't go bad over the weekend.

Irishtache

• Stubble
« Reply #7057 on: September 15, 2016, 09:00:15 AM »
Booked a hotel for a conference I am attending. Got a reasonable rate. Then found a good accommodation nearby for 2/3 the money. Cancelled first and booked second. Then noticed an offer on the website of the second accom that gives free breakfast if booked >30 days out, which I had. Cancelled the second accom and booked it again on website! Got free breakfast now! All good.

RamonaQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7058 on: September 15, 2016, 07:39:14 PM »
I returned a stray cart in the parking lot at Aldi and got the quarter.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7059 on: September 15, 2016, 10:58:57 PM »
I returned a stray cart in the parking lot at Aldi and got the quarter.

A quarter (25c)?? The slots in the trolleys here hold $2!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7060 on: September 16, 2016, 01:00:48 AM »
I have been very UNFRUGAL these days, but today did a few small things so I will add them here:

*Used up 4 zucchini that were languishing in the fridge

*Homemade BBQ sauce on chicken thighs done on the grill - delish

*Loving the no heating/no cooling season

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7061 on: September 16, 2016, 01:13:36 AM »
I thought here they held the Aldi specific token you can buy for $2?

They do, but if you look closely it's the same size as a $2 coin.

Makes finding abandoned trolleys and returning them far more lucrative than in the States, apparently.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7062 on: September 16, 2016, 04:44:54 AM »
No driving, no spending day yesterday. Gym childcare co-op, a walk, cooked dried chickpeas in the crockpot and roasted them for snacks, baked homemade sourdough, made grilled cheese and my favorite tomato soup with coconut milk and chickpeas.

RamonaQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7063 on: September 16, 2016, 07:47:51 AM »
Apparently our carts at Aldi are a bargain!

I'm assuming it's because in the US we don't really use any coins higher than 25 cents.  We have a $1 coin, but no one really uses them and they are not at all common.

It's funny because yesterday I was remembering grocery shopping in France while in college and putting a 10 franc piece in to get the cart (worth about $2 at the time) and thinking how much cheaper Aldi's carts were. 

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #7064 on: September 16, 2016, 11:43:40 AM »
Brought leftovers for lunch, as per usual.
Scored a weight bench for $10 from a co-worker. Will add this to the free squat rack and weight set I got from other co-workers.
Found a long necklace at Target for $16.99 compared to the mucho expensive Stella and Dot ones I was considering.
Bought a package of grapes marked $2 off at Target. Nothing wrong with them as long as we eat them in the next couple days.
We all wanted a sweet treat so I whipped up a batch of no-bake cookies since we already had all the ingredients.
Bought a Groupon for a date night brewery tour. For the regular price of just the tour, we also get two six-packs of beer. I don't drink it, so Current will be happy that he gets both. :)
Had a conversation and lesson with the kiddos on "want" v. "need" -- PRICELESS :)

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7065 on: September 16, 2016, 12:21:53 PM »
Saved at least $2.35 in interest by setting up an automatic payment to my VISA from my HELOC to happen 10 days from now instead of today.

WHOA, WHOA, hold the face punches for paying debt with debt... let me explain. 

The VISA will be paid in full 2 days before it is due. I would rather pay it all off ASAP but then I would need to transfer savings and it would be a PITA.  There will be enough "income" put into the HELOC to fully cover the VISA about 4 days after it is due. I will still owe about $0.94 in interest with this VISA debt sitting in my HELOC for ~4 days.  Conversely, I would owe about $44.14 if I paid my Visa just one day late.

There is a slight chance I would forget so I am glad I set up the auto pay today.

My instinct was to just pay it all now, but why not take advantage of the zero interest on my VISA until the due date (or 2 days before to be safe).

I love the springy debt of my HELOC.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/04/22/springy-debt-instead-of-a-cash-cushion/

I don't do this every month, and would not recommend it unless you know the HELOC will not negatively grow over time. But we had an unexpected $4000 expense last month and only $1500 cash earmarked to cover it.  I could pull out savings or change my investment strategy but considered the automatic payment from the HELOC for only $0.94 in interest worth it.

How many of you pay off higher interest debt with lower interest debt?  Am I dancing with the Devil or making smart debt repayment choices?

Eilonwy

• Stubble
« Reply #7066 on: September 16, 2016, 12:35:07 PM »
I called my doctor instead of going in; this may or may not work.

Yesterday I used a $10 Target coupon to buy $20 toilet paper and was a little irked that it wasn't also on sale. Then I got a $5 gift card for the purchase. So tit wound up essentially costing $5.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7067 on: September 16, 2016, 03:43:08 PM »

The VISA will be paid in full 2 days before it is due.

It is best to give yourself some more leeway than 2 days, some of the "poor" companies take their sweet time about booking in payments, more than needed, just to trigger more "late" fees...  !   90% of the time, 2 days is fine, until it suddenly isn't.

Eilonwy

• Stubble
« Reply #7068 on: September 16, 2016, 03:47:38 PM »
Today has backfired on me. I suggested to my husband that we find recipes to use up some of the cranberry sauce that's  clogging up our pantry. He agreed, and spent $10 on ingredients for his.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7069 on: September 16, 2016, 04:18:56 PM »
Decided I got a little too generous with the dried fruit I added to my batch of granola last week, so I am making up another small batch to mix in and stretch the expensive dried fruit.

Of course I am making the granola in the heating/ cooling phase of the oven as I bake a frittata and muffins that will make several meals next week.

I have bread in the bread machine (timing just didn't work to batch bake it), I used the last of my yeast.  I always feel satisfied using up the last of something.  Of course that means I'll need to buy more soon, but I'm not wasting it!  I'm making this bread to eat with some cheese ball my boyfriend brought over a few days ago.  I don't have any crackers or anything else to eat with it, so bread it is.

The muffins are my own recipe using whole wheat flour, low sugar/ honey, ground flax seeds and lots of fruit. This time I'm using up blueberries I froze a few weeks ago when we just couldn't finish all the fresh fruit.  ill freeze these muffins and pack them in my lunches for the next week or two.

This week has been so stressful.  It felt amazing to come home and cook.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7070 on: September 16, 2016, 05:26:53 PM »
Drinking up tea that DH brought home from his work contract this week. Delicious, and free!

Turning off one zone of sprinklers because we put water hardy plants there.

newelljack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7071 on: September 16, 2016, 11:53:46 PM »
Currently selling excess stuff on eBay, including a found pair of expensive sunglasses. Just sold for $80! And yes, they were legitimately found, not stolen!

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #7072 on: September 17, 2016, 12:45:29 AM »
Went for another bike ride today with Mr. Tuxedocat -- we biked to the local university. They have super cool architecture, green spaces and beaches. There was a mini vendor fair and were serving free hot dogs and pop. Score!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7073 on: September 17, 2016, 12:54:29 AM »
*Used up a huge bag of coleslaw mix that was passing its expiry date today

*Got $20 off groceries tonight with cc points and earned more points by using the card
(always torn between doing this and paying cash, a la Dave Ramsey)

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7074 on: September 17, 2016, 05:54:53 AM »
Literal $ saved:

Checked in on my friends Airbnb for her. $10.

Free book sold to chegg $3.24

Using loose leaf paper and three ring binder I already had for class this semester. Returned notebooks to target $6.24

Abstract $ saved:

I need several sketch books this semester. I love notebooks and sketchbooks, so this one is difficult but I am using loose drawing paper I had already. $20.

I found 2 of my 4 required textbooks through interlibrary loan. Reading an older edition copy of the third that is on the shelf in the classroom. $200 saved? 

I may break down and buy the kindle version of the 4th book.  I haven't been able to source it anywhere else. Kindle version is $100 cheaper than print. No one seems to sell this book used. Urg.

Took a cute clearance pair of sandals out of my shopping cart.

Hit a new low on the scales this morning. Real food and exercise is paying off.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #7075 on: September 17, 2016, 05:58:35 AM »
We cooked 4 things in the oven at once.

I bought apples and oranges instead of more expensive fruit.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #7076 on: September 17, 2016, 12:04:59 PM »
Canned up 7 jars of BBQ sauce 9 jars of habanero-plum sauce, 6 pints of pear sauce and 2 jars of tomato sauce from free fruit and garden produce.  Also dehydrating more plums for prunes.

Returning some boots that don't fit quite right.

It's riding helmet awareness day, and lots of places are offering 20% off.  I just had to pitch a helmet that was in an accident, but I still have two more, so I've talked myself into waiting until this time next year even though it means my pretty show helmet will be getting used more and probably cease to be so pretty.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7077 on: September 17, 2016, 01:38:59 PM »
A couple of days ago I booked an appointment for my car for a couple of safety recalls. Today I get an email from a mystery shopper service that I signed up for. It is for the exact thing I am already booked for. I can make $70 U.S. ($90 Can.) for something I need done anyway. :)

newelljack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7078 on: September 17, 2016, 03:31:43 PM »
Checked out a plumbing instruction book from the library and fixed a leaky faucet on my own. Also plan to fix the pop-up drain and squeaky valve in the other bathroom. I figure that is all got to be worth at least $100???

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7079 on: September 17, 2016, 03:44:25 PM »
Took the dog to the local low-cost rabies vaccination clinic ($20).*  A regular checkup plus vaccination is $85.  She will get her checkup when she gets the rest of her vaccinations next spring, at another clinic.

*Essential because 1. there is the possibility of rabies in our area, and 2. I can't take her across the border without it.

Eilonwy

• Stubble
« Reply #7080 on: September 17, 2016, 03:51:08 PM »
Sowed vegetable seeds, and had my hub put up netting so I might actually get some plants from them.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7081 on: September 17, 2016, 03:53:55 PM »
Booked flights to visit family at Christmas using miles from a credit card bonus. Saved just over $1000 compared to the fares we would have booked, but we were able to get business class going one direction for the same number of miles.

Lake161

• Stubble
« Reply #7082 on: September 17, 2016, 06:15:22 PM »
Fixed a bifold door that was sticking. Thank you YouTube for the video with clear instructions.

https://youtu.be/BGPy7z5ouLk

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7083 on: September 17, 2016, 06:55:10 PM »
Used cardpool to get 7% off a babies r' us gift card. Had already planned a $50 price point. Got a $50 GC and bought a $49.99 item. Only a couple bucks saved, but it adds up. Also sent my referral to 2 friends- it'll get them and me each $5 off our next order if they use it. (If anyone wants $5 off their first order, let me know, it just felt super presumptuous to put my referral link haha).

I'm also using cardpool to get a CC bonus- my local bank's card has a deal that I'll get $10 statement credit next month for doing 10 transactions of $10 or more this month. (Next 3 months this'll be going on). So I've been grabbing GCs off cardpool for some of the transactions, since I can get pretty close to the $10 that way, and maximize my % return on the deal.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7084 on: September 18, 2016, 08:30:01 AM »
The budgeting app I used for years has been glitchy.  Updates don't fix it. I can't find another I like that's free. So I downloaded the apple Numbers app and made myself a spreadsheet, formatted it to fit comfortably on my phone screen, got my important formulas and numbers in. I'm ready to go. No more excuses about glitchy apps. Manually entering purchases keeps me honest and on track.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7085 on: September 18, 2016, 11:30:09 AM »
It's been a busy weekend processing free fruit we foraged from friends and families trees. Plums, apples, pears and rhubarb. So far we have dehydrated 10 trays of plums and have 8 trays of plum honey leather going. Rest of the fruit needs to ripen a bit so I have some time to actually plan what we are going to do with it all.

Called and submitted (yet another) warranty claim about our Blentec blender (pro tip, don't get one! we got ours as a gift and had high hopes, has not been good)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7086 on: September 18, 2016, 06:05:03 PM »
*Bought lunch at the grocery store for the family on the way home from church instead of splurging and taking them to a restaurant. Husband is away so I was feeling sorry for myself! Haha

*Bought 3 new-to-me tops at a consignment shop

*Picked up discount canvases for my budding artist son at the Dollarstore rather than the art supply store. I realize that one day he will need to upgrade, but he is 11 and is delighted with the so far ... Lots of experimenting going on:-)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7087 on: September 18, 2016, 08:51:49 PM »
Got home last night after a weekend away. Tired, hungry, came very close to ordering Thai for dinner*.

Instead, I raided the freezer for heatable eatables (spring rolls, etc, courtesy of BiL's last visit) and threw those in the oven while I had a shower and gave myself a talking to.

This morning, I got up early and washed and pegged (first load) and washed (second load) before work. It's dry and sunny here today after a very wet weekend, with more rain forecast later in the week, so I'm making hay, so to speak.

Last week I saved about a grand by not giving in to temptation for a new bedroom suite. I had grown to hate the style of my bed, so I spent $4 on parts and modified it.

(This means that in eight hours of driving, we didn't stop for food at all. Before we left my husband found me in the kitchen nibbling on shaved turkey. 'What are you doing?' 'Eating the turkey.' 'Why?' 'It won't be good by the time we get home, and this way we don't have to stop.' 'It's a bit weird.' 'It's weird spending money on food when we have a fridge full of it!')

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #7088 on: September 18, 2016, 08:59:45 PM »
Picked the garden today. Watermelon. Cantaloupe. Cucumber. Tomatoes (many). Green beans. Soy beans (for edamame). It has been a great garden year.

Also, repaired the broken handle on my push lawn mower by scavenging the handle off the old mower. The new mower has a warranty, but it will take a few days to get the part, and the grass is LONG.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7089 on: September 18, 2016, 09:18:28 PM »
Cut husband's hair. I'm getting better!

Working out what home cooked / grocery foods we can bring with us on our long weekend away, to minimise spending on takeaway and very expensive convenience store groceries.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7090 on: September 19, 2016, 10:39:17 AM »
* Put up some garden basil for winter (we use the Ball freezer trays for small quantities of herbs, lemon zest, etc)

* Added more mulch to the gardens from our wonderful big free pile of shredded tree trimmings, which I requested and received from the city tree-trimming crew when they were on our street a couple of weeks ago.

Cognitive Miser

• Stubble
« Reply #7091 on: September 19, 2016, 12:37:54 PM »
Put up seven meals or so in the freezer, with my MIL's help.  I'm super-pregnant and due any day.  It will be a lovely alternative to take-out!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7092 on: September 19, 2016, 01:08:01 PM »
Instead of going to a store to wander around today, I wandered around outside in my neighborhood. Nearly an hour, ended up being sunny, and I discovered a street I didn't know was there that has a couple incredible gardens on it. $0 spent.

Eating leftovers for lunch.

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #7093 on: September 19, 2016, 07:03:40 PM »
Hey this one really happened today, and it really is small:  I always pay my light bill by phone, using my credit card so I get travel points.  Today i get stuck in a loop asking me to put in my phone number, then asking for the street number of my house, phone number, street number, lather, rinse, repeat.  So I press zero, and pay the nice customer service girl directly.  At the end she tells me there is a $3.00 convenience charge for talking to a person and wanted to make sure it was ok with me.

Well hell to the no.  Your automated system, which I always use, didn't work, causing me to talk to you instead.  She had to check with her supervisor, and what do you know, they didn't charge me. 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7094 on: September 20, 2016, 12:43:33 AM »
*Made soup stock in my Instant Pot out of the bones from the previous night's whole chicken - after that, I hardboiled 9 farm fresh eggs in the IP too. I love how it makes fresh eggs easier to peel.

*11 year old is still ok with Walmart clothes, thankfully! Picked him up several much needed items of clothing for good prices.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7095 on: September 20, 2016, 01:26:21 AM »
Cancelled a $20 subscription my husband signed up for. I was stupidly under the impression it was an annual fee. Nope, $20/month. I don't know how I missed that for so long, but it's gone now.

We've been off booze (and requisite mixers) for five weeks, so that's probably saved $80.

And the power company gave me a $25 credit for being a huge pain in the arse when we moved house. (That was part one, closing our previous account. Part two, getting a meter reading and opening new account, is an ongoing saga for which I will also pursue compensation.)

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7096 on: September 20, 2016, 02:02:40 PM »
I just made a meal plan for the next week's worth of dinners(and 1 dessert), and wrote a grocery list for all the ingredients.  I've started putting the meals in Google Calendar, so my phone can tell me what I'm making for dinner when I forget.  I even set it to alert me earlier when the meal takes longer to cook, so there are no "oops" moments.

Mild carnivore victory: Only 3 out of 7 dinners have meat in them! \o/

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7097 on: September 20, 2016, 02:26:13 PM »
Got a .15 reusable bag credit at the grocery story and picked up .15 of recyclable bottles and cans in the grocery store parking lot.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7098 on: September 20, 2016, 03:49:57 PM »
I just made a meal plan for the next week's worth of dinners(and 1 dessert), and wrote a grocery list for all the ingredients.  I've started putting the meals in Google Calendar, so my phone can tell me what I'm making for dinner when I forget.  I even set it to alert me earlier when the meal takes longer to cook, so there are no "oops" moments.

Mild carnivore victory: Only 3 out of 7 dinners have meat in them! \o/

Using the calendar and phone alerts is genius!

I made pumpkin cookies using a roasted sugar pumpkin (I weighed the flesh and it came out quite a bit cheaper than canned), and homemade yogurt using the crockpot.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #7099 on: September 20, 2016, 06:57:25 PM »
I just finished all 147 pages of this thread...and it  was glorious :D

-- picked up a dime off the ground
-- carefully checked all grocery purchases to ensure that the sizes/brands I got were the cheapest per oz/serving
-- fed sandwich to hubby because he had a meeting to get to tonight and ate leftovers myself
-- made second sandwich for husbands lunch tomorrow
-- have been committed to avoiding extra trips/stops so I have gone through less than a 1/4 of a tank of gas in a weeks time, which is a huge accomplishment in an area where most things are pretty far apart
-- have almost 500 swagbucks currently...in less than a weeks time.  I don't spend any money to earn them...just take surveys and do searches in it.  Hoping to save up for the next month or so and use for some amazon gift cards for christmas gift giving
-- Submitted for a "review" of some health expenses that we thought the insurance would cover a portion of.  It may take a month for them to review the recorded call, but if they made a mistake, they will reimburses any portion of the bills that we shouldn't be paying....