Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8029149 times)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #6700 on: August 02, 2016, 05:26:02 PM »
Making tacos in the condo rather than going out for dinner even though we are staying at a beautiful resort :-)

Taking full advantage of our seasons pass by using it every day. After one visit, the seasons pass has paid for itself and the rest of the visits are gravy

ETA: Started an online budget ... again
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 03:05:59 AM by 1967mama »

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6701 on: August 02, 2016, 11:36:57 PM »
Went out after work with friends - two bars and a concert - and managed to only buy one $5 food item and no drinks in the 6 1/2 hours of festivities between leaving work and getting home.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6702 on: August 03, 2016, 04:37:04 AM »
Transferred power from old address to new and scored a discount that should save $200+ annually.

Transferred internet from old address and new, complained about how slow it has been and scored a new router, which saves me buying a new one for about $100.

Got a small pay rise.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6703 on: August 03, 2016, 06:26:06 AM »
Followed up on our Buyers Warranty for our house sale. Our real estate agent realized he had dropped the ball, and paid for it out of pocket himself. It pays to stay on top of the details.

Bought lunch from Trader Joe's instead of going out to a restaurant. We did a big meal with plantain chips, sriracha hummus, and pre-cooked chicken slices. Ate until we were full, have some leftovers, and the whole thing cost less than half of a meal out- and less $ and more filling that any of their standard wraps, etc would have cost.

Sold our washer and dryer on CL in prep for the move. We were offered an extra $50 for delivery- less than 2 miles away, and the guy of the couple was very strong, so he and DH made quick work of it all. Well worth it. $300 made, and far far less hassle than I anticipated.

NorthernDreamer

• Stubble
  • Canada
« Reply #6704 on: August 03, 2016, 09:13:55 AM »
Finally called my cell phone company and switched to a plan that is $10/month less, with slightly less (but still way more than I need) data and daytime minutes. Should have done this months ago!

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6705 on: August 03, 2016, 02:39:05 PM »
Currently fighting a nasty craving for soda at work. I don't normally crave soda, but it happens sometimes. Hoping that by posting it here, it'll force me to make it another 2 hours without buying said soda.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6706 on: August 03, 2016, 02:48:55 PM »
Currently fighting a nasty craving for soda at work. I don't normally crave soda, but it happens sometimes. Hoping that by posting it here, it'll force me to make it another 2 hours without buying said soda.

If it helps, I'm now prepared to mock you mercilessly for buying a soda :-)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6707 on: August 03, 2016, 03:32:37 PM »
Kaikou, here's the beans and rice recipe I used in my new Instant Pot. I made a note to add more seasonings, as well as onions, garlic and celery bits next time. Otherwise, it was a quick and tasty meal with a salad or cut up veggies. Sorry, I don't have the source:-/

2 cups uncooked brown rice
    1 cup uncooked dry beans
    5 cups water
    1 6 oz can of tomato paste (or 1 8 oz can tomato sauce with slightly less water)
    1 tsp garlic
    2 tsp onion powder
    2 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp sea salt (optional)

Dump all of the ingredients into your pressure cooker and stir once or twice.
    Close the lid and cook on manual for 28 minutes.
    Once done, allow the pressure to come down and open carefully. If you are in a hurry you can do a quick release.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6708 on: August 03, 2016, 04:57:57 PM »
So this is the time of summer camps for my kids.  The 4 year old is in daycare and the 10 year old has mostly been in a free drop-in program that runs 8 to 5, M-F and includes breakfast and lunch.

Many of my friends don't send their kids because their kids will be "bored".  Yeah, okay, it's boring.  But having it be FREE  means there's a little extra money to send him to a few camps. 

It only runs 8 of the 10 weeks though.  And this week, my 4 year old's daycare is closed.  So I had to find camp for a 4 year old (total of 3 options).

Anyway...
- This week 4 year olds summer camp is 9 to 2.  Option to pay $10 an hour for more hours.  I declined, saving $30 a day, or $150 (yes I make more than $10 an hour but I'm salaried.  I'm getting paid anyway).
- Next week, same deal, the big boy's camp goes until 3.  In the past, we've paid the extra $150 for care until 6.  This time, we declined.
- Tomorrow is my husband's birthday. While we did splurge on a new bicycle to replace the one that is 22 years old with only one working gear, we at least saved 15% by buying last year's model.
- He requested spaghetti for his birthday dinner.
- I opted to make cupcakes from stuff we have at home instead of buying a mix (which would have made me stop at a store with both kids) or buying cupcakes (at $30-50 a dozen).  A short google found a recipe with stuff I already had.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6709 on: August 03, 2016, 05:09:34 PM »
*using up food in the fridge at the vacation place we are staying at - home tomorrow night

*using a $100 gift card we received a few months ago for our anniversary dinner on Friday night (27 years!)

*not spending any money today - using up the passes we bought the first day (paid for themselves after 1 visit, and today is day 4!)

*reading and posting lots here while hubs has the kids out - I'm nursing a head cold anyways and find it so very motivating to be back on here after an extended break (when I totally went off the rails)

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6710 on: August 03, 2016, 05:14:55 PM »

If it helps, I'm now prepared to mock you mercilessly for buying a soda :-)
No need! Found a mostly full bottle of water (from a catered lunch a while back) in my desk to get me through it! It was a close one though.

sis

• Stubble
« Reply #6711 on: August 03, 2016, 06:26:26 PM »
I sold some wine glasses on a local facebook group.  I got them for my wedding like 5 years ago and have never used them.  I only rediscovered them in the packing/decluttering process!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6712 on: August 03, 2016, 08:56:26 PM »
- I opted to make cupcakes from stuff we have at home instead of buying a mix (which would have made me stop at a store with both kids) or buying cupcakes (at $30-50 a dozen).  A short google found a recipe with stuff I already had.

The hell you say.

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #6713 on: August 03, 2016, 10:04:16 PM »

The hell you say.

Right? I'm perpetually amused at how much bakeries continue to get away with being able to charge for fucking cupcakes.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6714 on: August 03, 2016, 11:33:09 PM »
I sold some wine glasses on a local facebook group.  I got them for my wedding like 5 years ago and have never used them.  I only rediscovered them in the packing/decluttering process!

I got 12 sets of wine glasses for my wedding.

I don't drink wine.

My favourite glasses are a set I got at a garage sale for $2, and a pair of Mason-style jars with handles that were a Christmas gift from a friend. It's not that I'm overly fond of drinking out of a jar, but after a few drinks the handle comes in handy...

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #6715 on: August 04, 2016, 04:15:46 AM »

The hell you say.

Right? I'm perpetually amused at how much bakeries continue to get away with being able to charge for fucking cupcakes.

Don't they also have television shows about this?

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6716 on: August 04, 2016, 04:47:19 AM »
Discount train ticket this afternoon.

And I scored some free magazine files that were being tossed at work. Perfect for new apartment.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #6717 on: August 04, 2016, 08:40:54 AM »
Got my homeowners renewal and went through the coverage. Saw that there was a rider for a set of silverware that I sold this year. Had it taken off. It was $20, but then the very nice agent asked me what month I sold it in and is also rebating the months after the sale.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6718 on: August 04, 2016, 08:43:11 AM »
My bank called me a few weeks ago and told me of some 'Imperial Service' thing they were offering me. I get a guy who I can chat with and he improves my financial situation. Ya right, I thought, he sells me high prices mutual funds, etc. Anyway, I played along and chatted with him a couple times and sent him my financial info and told him my plans. It was interesting to hear his opinions and perspectives on financial specifics, most of which were positive and similar to mine.

Anyway, on my to do list lately was to change my bank account to something less likely to cost me 2-5 dollars each month. What I had set up before no longer works for me because I have way more monthly transactions than I did in the past and it's costing me. But I've had that bank account since I was 12 and I procrastinated.

I asked him about it and he switched it to a different type. Now I shouldn't have to pay anything! The catch is, I need to keep $3000 in the account all the time, which I normally do anyway, because $3000 is my personal I feel safe limit.

Anyway, long story, but I saved $2-5 per month... lol

Also I had to laugh out loud when he told me that ETFs were more risky due to lack of active management and you get what you pay for. He said, "You may pay a bit more for Mutual Funds...", I said, "A BIT more?, Are you kidding?" and told him the difference between what I had been paying and what I was paying now! Ha.. 50 times as much!

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6719 on: August 04, 2016, 09:02:04 AM »
Starting a masters program this fall (mostly paid by company). Took the opportunity to convert my Amazon Prime account to an Amazon Student account and pay just $49 for the next couple of years.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #6720 on: August 04, 2016, 09:41:38 AM »
One of our cars went to the junkyard last week (200$ for it!).

We called our insurance, canceled one, combined the two, and now, instead of both paying 280/275$ for our car insurance individually, we now pay 185$ for the two of us (this is yearly).

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6721 on: August 04, 2016, 12:11:07 PM »

The hell you say.

+1  :-O

Lately:
Repaired the fingernail clippers instead of buying a new one.  (The part that spins around came off.)

My cell phone cord no longer functions, so I've been using DH's instead of buying a new one.

Saved .60 cents a gallon when filling up the gas tank a few weeks ago using grocery fuel points.

Saved 22% off my monthly grocery bill by using paper and e-coupons and shopping the sales.

Called my office land line/internet carrier to remove the 800# and change plans.  Was told it will save $220/year, but we'll see.  I'm always skeptical when dealing with them.

Stocked up on items we use regularly at Sam's earlier this week.  Piggy backed that trip with going to visit my mom for her birthday.  Used a gift card to buy her lunch, and stayed within budget for the plant I bought her.

Found a $20 in a parking lot last week.  Split it w/ DH since he's the one who retrieved it from under my vehicle, LOL.

I've continued to bring breakfast, lunch, snacks and iced coffee from home to the office, and kept the AC off after hours.

Had just one beverage during happy hour earlier this week and supplemented with an ice water.

Used Crystal Light packets in my evening adult beverage instead of buying club soda.

Used leftover half consumed glasses of water at home to water the plants.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6722 on: August 04, 2016, 12:57:22 PM »
Finally switched us both over to Consumer cellular from AT&T this morning, dropping our cell costs to $30 a month for two phones/ 250 minutes. Thought we might need more minutes, but calls between those two phones don't count, so maybe not. Anyway, it bumps automatically to the next plan if we go over (1k minutes for i think &10 more).

That should save us $35 a month, which will pay for this afternoon's unexpected kitty surgery in a year or so...

(Kitty, we are told, should be fine. It was a tumor, but Doc thinks she got it all).

While waiting for a callback from the vet, I was too nervous to work and made two ingredient cookies and an instant pot full of curried lentis and spinach, which will feed me lunch for weeks, at least, maybe a month.

Not talking about fuel consumption today; it's 20 miles each way to the vet, two trips - one to have the funny spot on his leg looked at because I thought it might be an abscessed wound, and one to go get him when he wakes from the anasthesia.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6723 on: August 04, 2016, 12:58:49 PM »
Rural, I hope kitty is okay!

jordanread

« Reply #6724 on: August 04, 2016, 01:25:29 PM »
Ah, convinced the other half to cut the cord. Internet only. Got some promotions that will make me not need to worry for another year about it.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6725 on: August 04, 2016, 01:47:16 PM »

The hell you say.
I know right?  Well, you can buy cupcakes at the grocery store, and they aren't that expensive.  I did buy some earlier this year for my older son's birthday.  I want to say they were about $1 a cupcake.

But the fancy bakeries generally sell cupcakes at $3-4 a piece.  And no discount for a dozen.  Now, I don't need a dozen cupcakes for my husband's birthday.  I did buy a dozen for a birthday once, but I had a coupon. So I think they were $25.

It's the in thing, you know.  I get the bakery thing.  They taste delicious, you can get different flavors, they look really pretty. 

But my 4 year old LOVES to help me bake.  And in prior years, my husband has been really into cakes...the cakes he has baked for our older son have included a train (with brownies for the coal and cupcakes for the "steam"), Darth Vader's face, a Lego, and two crossing light sabers.  (I made a "3" cake once that looked like a car track).

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6726 on: August 04, 2016, 01:50:31 PM »

The hell you say.

Don't they also have television shows about this?
Yes, and I watched it many times, years ago when we had cable.  And that's actually what got me to make them.  Generally I just buy a lemon cake mix and call it good (hubs doesn't like chocolate).  But I didn't want to shop.  So I thought, what if I google some weird flavor of cupcake...like on the show.  So I googled "snickerdoodle cupcakes" (husband's favorite cookie flavor) and lo and behold, a recipe popped up that didn't even require cake flour.  Sold!

MoonLiteNite

• Bristles
« Reply #6727 on: August 04, 2016, 03:33:51 PM »
I underclocked my computer :D

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6728 on: August 05, 2016, 01:16:11 AM »
I used money off vouchers to buy groceries and a household item.

Eating leftovers, lunch is a delicious pasta dish I made with lots of veggies and roasted chickpeas, yummy.:)

That should save us $35 a month, which will pay for this afternoon's unexpected kitty surgery in a year or so...

(Kitty, we are told, should be fine. It was a tumor, but Doc thinks she got it all).

While waiting for a callback from the vet, I was too nervous to work and made two ingredient cookies and an instant pot full of curried lentis and spinach, which will feed me lunch for weeks, at least, maybe a month.

Not talking about fuel consumption today; it's 20 miles each way to the vet, two trips - one to have the funny spot on his leg looked at because I thought it might be an abscessed wound, and one to go get him when he wakes from the anasthesia.

I hope the cat is doing well.xx We have spent a ridiculous amount on vet bills this year.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6729 on: August 05, 2016, 04:38:21 AM »
Thanks for the kitty well wishes, all. He's home (too soon after anesthesia, so there was some considerable padding and fall-proofing around the place). He seems to be behaving normally this morning, though. The vet thinks she got it all, so we'll watch the spot but nothing more. I'm to remove the stitches in ten days if they don't dissolve as they should.

Cost only $138, less than the blood panel he had a month ago. I need to call and see if they forgot to charge for the anesthesia or if it's intentionally wrapped in the surgical fee; small country vet in an impoverished area - I don't want to soak up any of her charitable budget. I think she must do a lot of charity work, and I know she sometimes takes food in exchange when she goes out to the farms.

Today I shall luxuriate in the lower cell bill, and call AT&T to make sure they cancel now that the numbers are ported. Other than that, not much saving - husband has to drive to the city to take the GRE.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 04:40:04 AM by Rural »

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #6730 on: August 05, 2016, 06:17:12 AM »
I underclocked my computer :D

Nice! Most people should do this, but they don't know it :-)

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6731 on: August 05, 2016, 07:04:29 AM »

The hell you say.

A couple of weeks ago, I ordered cupcakes from Sam's club.  $15 for 30 cupcakes and the lady even put little plastic batman rings on them for free.  I mentioned it to my SIL and said "you can't beat that!"  Her response was, "you could have made them at home".  Ah yes, I could have. But I am not good at cooking or baking, and the stress it saved me was worth the $15. 

Melisande

• Bristles
« Reply #6732 on: August 05, 2016, 07:17:35 AM »
I decided to shop around for auto insurance this year instead of automatically renewing our current policy. We will be saving $240 this year with the new policy I just signed.

sis

• Stubble
« Reply #6733 on: August 05, 2016, 08:06:46 AM »
I decided to shop around for auto insurance this year instead of automatically renewing our current policy. We will be saving $240 this year with the new policy I just signed.

Awesome :-)

I'm doing the same thing for home insurance and mortgage.  I think the mortgage is obviously the big one...

Somehow the quotes for the mortgage are all coming out almost the same.  I feel like I'm going to cap myself at 5 and go with whoever I like best =P

cshell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6734 on: August 05, 2016, 08:27:49 AM »
I got a quote for switching from Geico to my boyfriend's USAA auto insurance that saves us both!

I save $134.99 on my 6 month premium and he saves $224.46 on his. They offer a great multi-car discount. Not only is my insurance now cheaper, but I have better coverage. I went from having $25,000/$50,000 bodily injury liability and $25,000 property damage liability to $100,000/200,000/100,000. Oh and my deductible went from $1,000 to $500. 

I could definitely get my insurance cheaper by lowering the coverage/increasing the deductible, but I'm not to the point financially where I'm comfortable with that. Maybe after I pay off the remainder of my car loan and get a little bit more in savings.

Hooray for USAA!

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #6735 on: August 05, 2016, 09:04:52 AM »

I'm doing the same thing for home insurance and mortgage.

Be careful about the home insurance. Some of the bigger companies farm it out. Ask who will actually be providing the policy and research them first. I very nearly got stuck with a company that had a ton of complaints and iffy BBB rating because I didn't do this.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #6736 on: August 05, 2016, 09:07:03 AM »
Filled out a form for health club reimbursement. My pre-retirement insurance does not do this, but I forgot to check the new ACA provider, which does.

Redstone5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6737 on: August 05, 2016, 09:54:36 AM »

The hell you say.

A couple of weeks ago, I ordered cupcakes from Sam's club.  $15 for 30 cupcakes and the lady even put little plastic batman rings on them for free.  I mentioned it to my SIL and said "you can't beat that!"  Her response was, "you could have made them at home".  Ah yes, I could have. But I am not good at cooking or baking, and the stress it saved me was worth the $15.

With the price of baking ingredients these days, I don't know if I could make cupcakes at home for cheaper than that price. Butter, eggs and milk are crazy expensive right now.

I did notice that our local bakery sells decorating ingredients for wholesale prices. I might try them next time I have to decorate a cake.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6738 on: August 05, 2016, 10:06:44 AM »

The hell you say.

With the price of baking ingredients these days, I don't know if I could make cupcakes at home for cheaper than that price. Butter, eggs and milk are crazy expensive right now.

I did notice that our local bakery sells decorating ingredients for wholesale prices. I might try them next time I have to decorate a cake.

Pshhh. Don't you know the only Mustachian way to consume butter is to churn it yourself?!

That said, I happily shell out $3.50 to the cupcake truck once every couple of months. Sure, it's a lot for one cupcake--but one $3.50 cupcake from the truck costs less than a whole batch of homemade ones. And it's way healthier to eat 1 cupcake than 24.

I don't go for the $3 donuts though.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 10:08:59 AM by Inaya »

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6739 on: August 05, 2016, 01:40:01 PM »

The hell you say.

That must be regional variation. Eggs and milk here are lower than I've seen them in about five years just now. A dozen eggs for less than $.80, and milk is under two dollars a gallon. I haven't priced butter, but given the cost of milk, I should.

Flour hasn't seen a big drop here, but it hasn't gone up in a while, either. I keep up with it better than I do butter because of making bread with olive oil.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6740 on: August 05, 2016, 01:46:50 PM »

The hell you say.

Pshhh. Don't you know the only Mustachian way to consume butter is to churn it yourself?!

Actually, it's dead easy to make butter. Pour cream in a blender, turn it on, wait  between  three and ten minutes, strain the buttermilk out and use it for something else (cornbread to put your butter on!) Done. A pint of cream will make about half a pound of butter, so compare prices.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6741 on: August 05, 2016, 02:40:27 PM »
*hung a load of laundry on the line

*hardboiled 1/2 a dozen eggs for sandwiches

*started two batches of "5 minutes a day" bread. One will
Become pizzas for dinner tonite and the other will sleep
In the fridge for a day.

*watered my garden - it was a bit neglected while we were
Away but I see that my cilantro is doing well

*celebrating anniversary with a gift card we received to a
Nice restaurant for hosting a team party for kids sports

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6742 on: August 05, 2016, 06:17:58 PM »
A couple of weeks ago, I was going to be stuck at work longer than anticipated.  Instead of going out for lunch, I walked to the grocery store to scrounge something.  Picked up a couple of those Dole salad kits, because they were on sale.  And a chicken tender to add to one for my meal.  Realized that while they were pretty good, they were missing things I like in a salad.  I decided to make my own kits, which are cheaper and tastier than the grocery store kits.  I chopped together cabbage, romaine, and a super greens mix to get 10 gladware containers in a good salad size.  I store them with a paper towel under the lid, upside down.  It absorbs excess moisture and the salad lasts longer.  Chop up some fresh veggies and/or fruits, fill a small container with dressing.  I keep one at work as my emergency salad, and bring one each day to either eat, or swap out with the one in the fridge.

borealis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6743 on: August 06, 2016, 12:44:04 PM »
Foraged 10 lbs of plump, wild blackberries while on a walk. Will freeze for smoothies, etc.

RamonaQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6744 on: August 06, 2016, 01:18:47 PM »
I had to buy some gift cards for thank you gifts for volunteers at work.  Kroger was having 4x fuel points on gift cards, so I bought them there instead of Target.  It's about to save me $1/gallon on my gas when I fill up tonight.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6745 on: August 06, 2016, 09:15:40 PM »
* Made a smoothie from foraged purslane, plus a fig and two passionfruits from our yard, and one store-bought banana.

* Was gifted a huge bag of girl baby outfits from a lovely neighbor family. I haven't bought a single outfit for forthcoming baby girl and I have so many bags of hand-me-downs we hardly have room for them. There is a perverse economy of scale to multiple kids.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6746 on: August 06, 2016, 11:13:44 PM »
Resisted the urge to pay someone to clean our vacated apartment.

I have a heavy cold, I'm tired from moving, and I desperately wanted to just pay someone to deal with it. Instead, I hardened the fuck up, put on some music and thought of the forums while scrubbing and sweeping and vacuuming and mopping.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6747 on: August 07, 2016, 06:25:00 AM »
Packed my own dinner and snacks for a flight yesterday, and planned/prepped a weeks worth of meals for DH while I am gone.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6748 on: August 07, 2016, 07:31:01 AM »
Made lunch, and got five extra lunches for the coming week made too. :)

mathjak107

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6749 on: August 07, 2016, 07:49:39 AM »
we have all our food shopping delivered  to us .

we get 6-7 am deliveries so valuable time is not wasted in the course of the day going food shopping . our bills have dropped quite a bit since i am not in the store buying the extra's that i do . i can't go shopping without adult supervision ,ever .

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!