Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8029800 times)

Cognitive Miser

• Stubble
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #6400 on: June 20, 2016, 02:22:30 PM »
I made my husband a Father's Day cake out of ingredients we already had, instead of buying him a gift (OK so this was yesterday).  My toddler had fun crushing up the nuts for the topping :)

Today I brought my lunch, which is somehow surprisingly difficult for me to accomplish on a Monday.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6401 on: June 20, 2016, 02:30:00 PM »
Made eggs for breakfast (at home), brought my lunch and all my snacks.  9 days out of 10 I also do this, but I've been on a really good streak lately. 

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6402 on: June 20, 2016, 02:48:55 PM »
Fasting through breakfast and lunch today--won't eat until dinner. Purpose is weight control, but saving money is a side effect. Cheap-as-dirt homemade pizza for dinner, since I can load my side with veggies and pile calories (extra cheese, etc.) on hubs' side.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6403 on: June 20, 2016, 03:46:08 PM »
No money will be saved tomorrow, as veterinary care falls firmly into the "what money is for" category.

ETA I know better than to feed a cat a steady diet of tuna, but I figure five ounces one day will not cause any major problems from an incomplete diet, and meanwhile something's staying down. I anticipate we'll be changing cat's diet completely after tomorrow's visit, plus maybe other treatment as well, depending on the verdict.

Sending well wishes for kitty. Get well little cat.

Thanks. Verdict is he neurotic (which we knew) and eats so fast his kibble doesn't even get wet until it hits his stomach (which we knew). So it swells in there and he barfs.

Why the blood right now is not entirely clear, but there's no infection and no blockage. Someone in this house are 3/4 of a mouse earlier in the week - he may have irritated an already irritated esophagus and stomach lining with mouse, causing the bleeding. Or it may be an ulcer from the long history of barfing.

Anti nausea shot that will last 24 hours, and  we're adding wet food to everyone's diet (three cats) since the tuna stayed down and going to see if a smaller amount of kibble stays down. if nothing changes, then we treat for an ulcer with something that coats the stomach but that cats universally hate.

That was $200. We did exam, meds, a thyroid test because he has lost weight (fine) plus his first geriatric blood profile since he was there - I'm actually happy to have a healthy baseline on that.

So tonight the cat eats like a king and we eat leftovers. :-)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 03:56:31 PM by Rural »

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6404 on: June 20, 2016, 03:54:27 PM »
No money will be saved tomorrow, as veterinary care falls firmly into the "what money is for" category.

ETA I know better than to feed a cat a steady diet of tuna, but I figure five ounces one day will not cause any major problems from an incomplete diet, and meanwhile something's staying down. I anticipate we'll be changing cat's diet completely after tomorrow's visit, plus maybe other treatment as well, depending on the verdict.

Thanks. Verdict is he neurotic (which we knew) and eats so fast his kibble doesn't even get wet until it hits his stomach (which we knew). So it swells in there and he barfs.

Glad to hear kitty is okay. I'd say you should get rid of the dry entirely (and ideally go raw), but I won't derail into that discussion here--especially since older cats can be unwilling to switch. I will, however, suggest trying some sort of puzzle feeder for him if you continue feeding the dry. It's mentally stimulating and will force him to slow down his eating. You can even make DIY puzzle feeders to keep it Mustachian. Quick Google search will give you all the info you need.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6405 on: June 20, 2016, 04:00:57 PM »

Glad to hear kitty is okay. I'd say you should get rid of the dry entirely (and ideally go raw), but I won't derail into that discussion here--especially since older cats can be unwilling to switch. I will, however, suggest trying some sort of puzzle feeder for him if you continue feeding the dry. It's mentally stimulating and will force him to slow down his eating. You can even make DIY puzzle feeders to keep it Mustachian. Quick Google search will give you all the info you need.

I'd thought we should consider eliminating dry as well, but the vet was very firm that we should continue with at least some dry daily. The abrasive effects help keep their teeth cleaner and in better shape, she says.
That's a good idea about the puzzle feeder, though. Not sure how well it would work here - one of our others has some brain damage (oxygen deprivation from being thrown out in a plastic bag with the rest of her litter, if you can believe that - I hate people). She almost certainly couldn't figure out a puzzle feeder, and he'd just steal hers.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6406 on: June 20, 2016, 06:24:13 PM »
Was running out of work clothes as they wear out (down to 2 dresses, 1 pair of pants, 1 blazer that doesn't match the pants, and a few shell tops...), and had no lunch during my thrifting expedition. I found some great stuff on good sale from 3 websites that normally have clothes that fit me well, but held off on pressing the buy button until I was absolutely sure that these were the items I wanted and that they'd give me another few years of basic workwear.

And then I got a positive pregnancy test. And all of the clothing I was looking at had cinched waists.

So, new plan: dresses until the end of summer, buy one new swing dress that will fit until I'm 7ish months pregnant and also look good with that blazer, and dig out my maternity clothes from my last pregnancy. Problem solved for 20$ and a kid. ;)

abiteveryday

• Stubble
« Reply #6407 on: June 20, 2016, 06:32:29 PM »
Was running out of work clothes as they wear out (down to 2 dresses, 1 pair of pants, 1 blazer that doesn't match the pants, and a few shell tops...), and had no lunch during my thrifting expedition. I found some great stuff on good sale from 3 websites that normally have clothes that fit me well, but held off on pressing the buy button until I was absolutely sure that these were the items I wanted and that they'd give me another few years of basic workwear.

And then I got a positive pregnancy test. And all of the clothing I was looking at had cinched waists.

So, new plan: dresses until the end of summer, buy one new swing dress that will fit until I'm 7ish months pregnant and also look good with that blazer, and dig out my maternity clothes from my last pregnancy. Problem solved for 20$ and a kid. ;)

What's that saying about penny wise and something else? 

Congrats ;)

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6408 on: June 20, 2016, 06:40:38 PM »

What's that saying about penny wise and something else? 

Congrats ;)

Haha kinda, right? But I can guarantee that the kid will make me happier than the clothes.

(Except that, according to my YNAB, my now-2-year-old has cost us an average of 150$/month, including daycare. Bless you,Quebec daycare subsidies. So it's not so horrendously bad!)

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6409 on: June 20, 2016, 06:48:51 PM »
I sewed a button onto an old pair of camo cargo shorts. Now I will be able to continue wearing them to 1990s nostalgia rock concerts.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 10:08:28 PM by MoneyCat »

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6410 on: June 20, 2016, 07:10:05 PM »
Got a $60 refund from Zipcar.  I love the concept and currently live 0.10 miles from a station, but never took advantage of the car rentals in the past 12 months.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6411 on: June 20, 2016, 07:52:04 PM »
Last night I renegotiated my contents insurance policy (dropped portable valuable insurance on a couple of items I will now self-insure). Saved $227/year.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6412 on: June 20, 2016, 09:01:07 PM »
* Replaced a missing drawstring from one of my reusable produce bags
* Cooked at home
* Hung laundry out to dry instead of using electric dryer

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6413 on: June 20, 2016, 09:44:38 PM »

Congratulations! When are you due?

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6414 on: June 21, 2016, 06:52:42 AM »

At this point, presumably early march? Literally got the positive pregnancy test on father's day. Happy father's day, honey, you get another one! :)

I'm a bit stressed about scheduling - honestly, last time, getting pregnant took 6 months, and I went off the pill on mother's day and... let's just say we didn't have the most active month... so I certainly wasn't expecting to be pregnant yet! But there you have it.

Babies. They come when they will, I suppose!

At least this is our second, and our first is out of her crib next month, so we have all the baby gear and maternity clothing and gender-neutral baby clothing, and we're in Quebec so it's a year-long paid leave for maternity. It's not the baby that'll add huge expenses onto our plate!

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #6415 on: June 21, 2016, 07:10:44 AM »
Looked up what neighborhood in my town had recycle pickup the next morning and went out at 4pm the night before looking for clean newspaper. Scored a full weeks worth. Need it for packing filler on eBay shipments. Beats buying brown paper. I still bubble wrap items first. So far no buyer has complained.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6416 on: June 21, 2016, 07:16:59 AM »
Looked up what neighborhood in my town had recycle pickup the next morning and went out at 4pm the night before looking for clean newspaper. Scored a full weeks worth. Need it for packing filler on eBay shipments. Beats buying brown paper. I still bubble wrap items first. So far no buyer has complained.

I actually really like it when people use local newspaper for the packing material. Maybe I'm just a giant nerd, but I enjoy browsing the news from some place I've never been.

Mikila

• Stubble
« Reply #6417 on: June 21, 2016, 07:18:36 AM »
We typically eat $6 worth of pickles each month.  This Summer I am growing a big garden.  In the last 3 weeks, I have made 15 jars of pickles, and another 4 of relish.  I am making every kind of pickles...and if we have excess, so much the better.  Homemade preserves make great gifts.

Mikila

• Stubble
« Reply #6418 on: June 21, 2016, 07:20:52 AM »

At this point, presumably early march? Literally got the positive pregnancy test on father's day. Happy father's day, honey, you get another one! :)

I'm a bit stressed about scheduling - honestly, last time, getting pregnant took 6 months, and I went off the pill on mother's day and... let's just say we didn't have the most active month... so I certainly wasn't expecting to be pregnant yet! But there you have it.

Babies. They come when they will, I suppose!

At least this is our second, and our first is out of her crib next month, so we have all the baby gear and maternity clothing and gender-neutral baby clothing, and we're in Quebec so it's a year-long paid leave for maternity. It's not the baby that'll add huge expenses onto our plate!

Congratulations. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6419 on: June 21, 2016, 07:27:51 AM »
Now that we have a mortgage preaprroval, we're combining DH's work trip to the town we're looking in with a house hunting trip. It'll save on gas.

DH got a burn yesterday. Instead of going straight in to urgent care, I called our insurance advice nurse who gave the thumbs up for home care measures.

Planning to use up some soft bananas for 2 ingredient cookies. YUM.

Even though I was tired, after DH's burn and the mortgage appointment, I still stopped by the only grocery store that carried well priced chipotles en adobo without a bunch of additive crap, so I could make my pork carnitas recipe for dinner. $1.79 and good ingredients instead of the $3+ I see elsewhere, with tons of stabilizers.

Good news for my mustachianism that it didn't even occur to me to go out to dinner though!

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6420 on: June 21, 2016, 07:48:12 AM »
Cleaned my beloved sun hat--I had set a bag of groceries on top of it, not realizing that the blackberries were leaking juice, and ended up with purple stains all over it. It's "straw" so I wasn't sure it could go in the washer. Turns out those Tide pens work great--you can still see faint marks but the hat is wearable again...good thing because I need it for an outdoor event in the next couple of weeks.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6421 on: June 21, 2016, 10:51:19 AM »
I am debating a small thing to save money and I'm asking for opinions: I have one of those quarterly rewards cards (e.g. you get bonus points for groceries for three months, gas for three months, etc.) and groceries are 5% cash back until the end of June. I was thinking about buying some grocery store gift cards to get the discount for another few months or so. But it's such a small difference that I'm wondering if the risk/reward is worth it since a gift card could be lost or stolen. I could save $15 on $500, but is it worth the risk of losing the whole thing?

I think I'm a little wary because I lost a $50 gift card once*, and had another gift card stop working for no reason (I did get my money back on that one but it was a hassle and took several weeks).

* Mustachian People Problem: takes 6+ months to stop being angry at self for losing gift card

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6422 on: June 21, 2016, 11:45:55 AM »
I am debating a small thing to save money and I'm asking for opinions: I have one of those quarterly rewards cards (e.g. you get bonus points for groceries for three months, gas for three months, etc.) and groceries are 5% cash back until the end of June. I was thinking about buying some grocery store gift cards to get the discount for another few months or so. But it's such a small difference that I'm wondering if the risk/reward is worth it since a gift card could be lost or stolen. I could save $15 on $500, but is it worth the risk of losing the whole thing?

I think I'm a little wary because I lost a $50 gift card once*, and had another gift card stop working for no reason (I did get my money back on that one but it was a hassle and took several weeks).

* Mustachian People Problem: takes 6+ months to stop being angry at self for losing gift card

Some gift cards will let you register them online, then you can use them with the store's mobile app. Once you do that, you can toss the card completely. Starbucks and Barnes & Noble are the examples I know offhand, but I'm sure there are more. Figure out which ones you could potentially purchase, then research them to see if you can register them.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6423 on: June 21, 2016, 11:56:12 AM »
Some gift cards will let you register them online, then you can use them with the store's mobile app. Once you do that, you can toss the card completely. Starbucks and Barnes & Noble are the examples I know offhand, but I'm sure there are more. Figure out which ones you could potentially purchase, then research them to see if you can register them.

I was looking at buying gift cards for the actual grocery store, not random store gift cards off the rack. I don't spend enough money at any of those kinds of places to make it worthwhile keeping track of a gift card. But the grocery store is a weekly thing, so that seemed to make sense. It looks like one of the stores I shop at has an app but it doesn't say anything about gift cards in it.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6424 on: June 21, 2016, 12:10:22 PM »
Amazon gave us a $5 credit for reloading a gift card on our account with $100. And we put it on the card we get 3% back from amazon on. So 3% back on $100, then a $5 credit. It'll get used- we do amazon subscribe and save for some key staple items like dog food, lara bars for work, mascara, tooth paste, etc.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6425 on: June 21, 2016, 12:19:34 PM »

I've often bought myself grocery gift cards at Trader Joe's to meet minimum spend requirements when churning credits cards.  You could purchase 5 x $100 cards to reduce the risk that a single $500 card would be lost/stolen.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #6426 on: June 21, 2016, 12:24:30 PM »
Just wrote out a menu for the five nights my dad will be visiting.  Only need to buy lettuce for salads, but will be able to make everything else with stuff I have on hand.  Got a free zucchini from a co-worker that will round out our veggie dish tonight.

Running fans and opening up the house at night to minimize A/C usage during the day.

Had a free lunch at a work meeting yesterday; today's lunch is leftover lentils with ham and carrots

SomedayStache

• Pencil Stache
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #6427 on: June 21, 2016, 12:35:49 PM »
My employer gives us 3 hours each week to perform physical fitness activities.  Since the gyms are inconveniently far I usually just walk inside or outside my building.  Also I don't want to get all sweaty and then return to the office.

I've now decided that twice a week I'm going to the gym, I will perform some sort of physical activity that  gets my heart rate up, and I'll shower at the gym afterward.

This is a win for my health AND by showering at work I'm saving electricity at home (hot-water) and saving time in the evening because I don't need a shower at home.  Triple win.

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #6428 on: June 22, 2016, 07:09:16 AM »
Noodle: boiling water will get out most berry stains. It's pretty magical to watch the color vanish.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6429 on: June 22, 2016, 07:28:20 AM »
Noodle: boiling water will get out most berry stains. It's pretty magical to watch the color vanish.

Hopefully there will be no more hat accidents but that's good to know for the future!

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #6430 on: June 22, 2016, 12:18:29 PM »
Ordered a belt for our dryer on Amazon last night - under $10.  We can live without a working dryer for a couple more days and we're fixed.

Amazing how simple older washer's and dryers are under the hood.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #6431 on: June 22, 2016, 04:55:55 PM »
Rode bike home from work the scenic way to the supermarket. Lots of stuff marked down for last day of sale. Plus the cash register tape price didn't match the shelf price for my red peppers, so I challenged and got them for free. Supper tonight is discount sausage and free peppers, fried in leftover bacon fat, over excellent bread I took home after a dept. reception yesterday. Total cost about 56 cents Canadian per huge serving.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6432 on: June 22, 2016, 06:14:30 PM »
Claimed $47 worth of expenses at work, and followed up a $45 refund owing from an airline.

Also, I had forgotten to factor in holiday loading from two recent days of annual leave so that was a little bonus yesterday.

And my husband is considering dropping his union/professional association membership, which would save us $700/year.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6433 on: June 23, 2016, 09:12:30 AM »
Two items, both involving shipping. 

Online shipping for a heavy item (not available locally) was $48, so I called and they lowered it to the actual cost of $22.56.

The other was an Amazon return.  My fault, so I needed to pay shipping to return it, but oddly, the only option listed was $8.05 for UPS (for a 2 ounce item!)  I started an online chat and got a return authorization and mailed it myself for $1.36.

Sometimes, ya just gotta ask (something my DH is loathe to do).

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6434 on: June 23, 2016, 09:15:26 AM »

I'd only buy what you can use before they expire. Also, a major store here in Australia went bust and the cards were worthless. The cards are considered unsecured credit and rank below other creditors if a company goes into administration.

Most gift cards in the US don't expire, but if the store goes bankrupt, yeah, SOL.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6435 on: June 23, 2016, 08:19:25 PM »
I'd only buy what you can use before they expire. Also, a major store here in Australia went bust and the cards were worthless. The cards are considered unsecured credit and rank below other creditors if a company goes into administration.

Yeah, I think I decided it's not worth the risk/annoyance of keeping track of them/having to keep months' worth of grocery money tied up, just to save an extra 3%.

On the theme of groceries, today I ate slightly sandy leftover roasted asparagus with my dinner instead of throwing them away. Won't need my mineral supplement tonight! Note to self: wash asparagus more carefully.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #6436 on: June 23, 2016, 09:01:00 PM »
Clothes washer drain clogged up. I took off the panels and found the drain filter (thanks youtube!), unclamped it and it was chock-full of grunge. Hard to tell, but I think the majority was from an ancient scrub pad that snuck in from the wash. The washer is ten years old and the drain had never been cleaned! Now it is back together and working.
That's the good. The bad is I couldn't get the spring clamps back on the hoses in the tight little space under the washer. My arms are too big, and the space is very tight. So I had to spend a few dollars at the hardware store and buy screw-type hose clamps. That worked, and now all is good.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6437 on: June 24, 2016, 09:04:58 AM »
Stopped at Aldi on the way home last night. After paying, I found to my dismay that I hadn't packed my shopping bag in my backpack. So rather than spend money on a bag (when I have millions at home already), I shoved what I could into my backpack and toted the rest in a cardboard box.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6438 on: June 24, 2016, 09:16:00 AM »
Couldn't find a dress like I wanted for under 200$. Spent 15$ on linen fabric and 2 hours of sewing, and I now have a great floor-length black dress just like I wanted. Woohoo skills!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6439 on: June 24, 2016, 09:16:31 PM »
Cut homegrown sunflowers from our backyard for a housewarming gift instead of stopping at Trader Joe's to buy plastic-wrapped sunflowers.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6440 on: June 24, 2016, 10:15:25 PM »
As a date night with my wife, I made homemade pizza and we watched a movie at home instead of going out for dinner and a movie. Saved us approximately $50.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6441 on: June 25, 2016, 03:09:59 PM »
Given the hot weather, I have been pulling out some of the sandwich recipes I had filed away. Was thinking about looking around for a panini press at the thrift store/garage sales...then realized my waffle iron has plates that can be turned over to be flat grill plates. Worked great!

Fudge102

• Stubble
« Reply #6442 on: June 25, 2016, 04:02:33 PM »
Hanging the clothes outside to dry.  Saves on the cooling and power!

And grilling (ish) some homemade beef jerky while I'm at it!

abiteveryday

• Stubble
« Reply #6443 on: June 25, 2016, 04:24:26 PM »
Making (instead of buying) some nice bread to go with dinner.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #6444 on: June 25, 2016, 06:39:31 PM »
We were going to take my dad downtown to hit a couple breweries and then get dinner.  Then we decided that it would be better to pick up  take out instead.   Then I checked the tofu in the fridge and saw that it would expire while I'm out of town this week, so I turned it into a nice curry with other ingredients that probably would have gone bad in my absence.  Probably $40 saved not to mention gas and wasted food!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6445 on: June 25, 2016, 09:29:59 PM »
Used homegrown red cabbage, homegrown green onion and leftover roast chicken to fill pita wraps for dinner.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #6446 on: June 26, 2016, 05:38:20 PM »
Biked to/from a potluck, made arrangements with some fellow guests to do a big collective preserving day later in the season.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #6447 on: June 26, 2016, 05:45:00 PM »
Today was another travel day for me.  Filled my water bottle after going through airport security, and also discovered that one of the coffee shops near the gate only charges $1 for a coffee refill if you bring your own mug.  Brought homegrown raspberries and a Quest bar instead of eating lunch, and felt smug sitting next to someone with a big iced coffee, bottled water and sandwich from the airport Starbuck's, which probably put her out $15 total vs. my $3 for the Quest bar and the coffee.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6448 on: June 26, 2016, 06:03:16 PM »
Spent the weekend away but stayed with a good mate, so accommodation was free.

If I'd been at home I would have tried to resist the temptation to put the heater on, but my friend had his fire roaring away all weekend so I made the most of it. (I spent so long laying in front of the fire reading that he brought me a pillow so I could really get comfy. :) )

Ran a few errands for my mum, including a trip to a discount pharmacist which saved her $65. She gave me $50 to say thank you. I resisted, telling her I did it to save her money, not make money. "Yes, but you're a busy girl", said while poking money in the pocket of my jeans.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #6449 on: June 26, 2016, 07:45:56 PM »
Picked 5lb of wild raspberries (weighed them) today. Will be making freezer jam tonight.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!