Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8029016 times)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #5750 on: March 04, 2016, 03:11:10 PM »
Let another of my magazine subscriptions go with the last issue. One by one over the past few years they've been retired. One mag calls every year, calls me, and begs us to come back, offering lower and lower rates. This now pisses me off and ensures I won't reup because it means that I was ripped off in the past.

Check to see if your local library offers an online service called Zinio. Free online magazines, including The New Yorker and similar.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #5751 on: March 04, 2016, 03:16:43 PM »
Checked on pricing for kids' care over summer break and discovered that tomorrow is the open house and if you register then, they'll waive the registration fee for both kids ($25 EACH), so there's $50 saved. I wonder if I can use funds from my Dependent Care FSA to cover the deposit. I bet I can...

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5752 on: March 04, 2016, 03:40:08 PM »
Let another of my magazine subscriptions go with the last issue. One by one over the past few years they've been retired. One mag calls every year, calls me, and begs us to come back, offering lower and lower rates. This now pisses me off and ensures I won't reup because it means that I was ripped off in the past.

Check to see if your local library offers an online service called Zinio. Free online magazines, including The New Yorker and similar.

Yep, they sure do. Good idea.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #5753 on: March 04, 2016, 04:24:40 PM »

Thanks!!! I never would have thought of this.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5754 on: March 04, 2016, 09:48:50 PM »
Attempted to sew up the holes in my jeans crotch. Kinda worked, but the fabric is so thin, some of the new stitches ripped right out again. But it means I can repair the less-worn-out pair and make them wearable again.

I think I managed to track down the 401k funds from my former job. I'll know for sure next week, then hopefully roll them into my Roth IRA.

Made it to the barre class I almost forgot I signed up for, which saved a $20 no-show fee.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5755 on: March 04, 2016, 10:04:16 PM »
I finally submitted a bunch of expense receipts for an organization I belong to. I purchased the supplies in dribs and drabs over the last three months. Was shocked when it added up to $483.89! I got the check and I'll deposit it into savings tomorrow, which is what I do with all "found money" checks. Woot!

kaposzta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Years Until FIRE Calculator
« Reply #5756 on: March 05, 2016, 05:06:25 AM »
I bought grocery store gift cards with 20% discount, saving around $40+. My wife and my parents did the same, so total savings: $130.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5757 on: March 05, 2016, 09:21:09 AM »
Not me, but rather, my spouse has finally seen the light on safety razors versus cartridge razors!

I'm resisting this, but I did switch to Dollar Shave Club. Acceptable cartridge razors much more cheaply.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5758 on: March 05, 2016, 09:33:30 AM »
Not me, but rather, my spouse has finally seen the light on safety razors versus cartridge razors!

I'm resisting this, but I did switch to Dollar Shave Club. Acceptable cartridge razors much more cheaply.

Be sure to look into Dorco. Supposedly they're the supplier for Dollar Shave, and even cheaper.

FerrumB5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5759 on: March 05, 2016, 10:35:31 AM »

Be sure to look into Dorco. Supposedly they're the supplier for Dollar Shave, and even cheaper.

That is correct. Dorco is the DSC supplier. I bought 10 blades + handle directly from Dorco for $18 or so (was on sale): http://www.dorcousa.com/pace-6-combo-set-sxa1000-sxa1040/

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5760 on: March 05, 2016, 11:22:05 AM »

That is correct. Dorco is the DSC supplier. I bought 10 blades + handle directly from Dorco for $18 or so (was on sale): http://www.dorcousa.com/pace-6-combo-set-sxa1000-sxa1040/

DH uses Dorco and loves them. We never tried DSC though, so we have no point of comparison. But he went over from Gilette, and he says Dorco is at least as good, if not better.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5761 on: March 05, 2016, 12:57:00 PM »
Almost went to see Zootopia. Decided to wait until next week and use a giftcard+popcorn voucher from credit card cash back.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5762 on: March 05, 2016, 01:08:56 PM »

Oooh, good tip. I'll be pausing my subscription because I go through the cartridges so slowly but will make sure to look at them when I run out. I've been using the 2 and 4 blades--6 sounds crazy! I've never had 4 before and I'm amazed by the awesomeness. I fear hedonic adaptation is in my future...

FerrumB5

• Pencil Stache

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #5764 on: March 05, 2016, 06:26:30 PM »

DH uses Dorco and loves them. We never tried DSC though, so we have no point of comparison. But he went over from Gilette, and he says Dorco is at least as good, if not better.

Great, I just ordered some 3-blade cartridges & a handle for my DH to try.  And TopCashBack offers 12% cash back!

Larabeth

• Bristles
« Reply #5765 on: March 05, 2016, 07:00:07 PM »

Great, I just ordered some 3-blade cartridges & a handle for my DH to try.  And TopCashBack offers 12% cash back!

Do you have any sort of referral for top cash back? I'm about to join!

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #5766 on: March 05, 2016, 07:26:01 PM »

Thanks for asking - I hope it's ok to post here; I really wasn't fishing for a referral, just happy for the cash back. :)

http://www.topcashback.com/ref/ocsitcom

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5767 on: March 05, 2016, 11:47:34 PM »
I had a free ticket for a concert last night and gave it to my friend, who bought me dinner as a thank you. We were at the show waiting for the band to come on and we ran into another friend, who turned out to also have an extra ticket he wanted to give away for free, and I managed to track down a third friend who was in line outside about to pay... just in time for him to claim the free ticket at will call. $50 saved for my friends and one free dinner for me. NYC networking at its finest!

Tonight, I went out to see a show that a friend of mine was performing in and the waitress comped my drink ($5 saved). Managed to get to the grocery store on the way home just before it closed, even though I was really tired, and grabbed just enough stuff to make a bunch of high-protein salads and a baked pasta dish that will make for really easy meals this week - which will definitely save me $$ since I won't be tempted to get convenience foods/take-out/etc.

Larabeth

• Bristles
« Reply #5768 on: March 06, 2016, 07:54:23 AM »

Thanks for asking - I hope it's ok to post here; I really wasn't fishing for a referral, just happy for the cash back. :)

Yay! Done. :) I don't see anything wrong with it and since you're the reason I know about it, it only seems fair to get you whatever referral bonus is attached

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5769 on: March 06, 2016, 09:48:16 AM »

As long as you let people know it's a referral, people are usually totally fine with it. Especially services where both parties get a bonus for it. We're pretty side-hustle, bonus-bucks friendly here =) We just don't like feeling hoodwinked or "used". The only one I've seen really bother people is posting affiliate links to Amazon.

This reminds me, thank you to whoever signed up for Paribus when I posted it upthread. I didn't even know this would happen, but it means they gave us the FULL refund on the computer, $100! So thank you Mustachian- you got us an extra $20!

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #5770 on: March 06, 2016, 12:20:28 PM »
Broke my ax handle last week chopping firewood, snapped the head right off (If you use an ax, you can guess what I did wrong). Considered buying a new one, but instead am renovating the old one. The 'head' portion of the handle is considerably longer than it needs to be, so I am trimming the wood down to fit into the slot. A new handle is about $10.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5771 on: March 06, 2016, 01:06:34 PM »
Mended a fifth pair of pants for Big Brother instead of replacing. Yes, five pairs. (OK, one repair has already failed and one is still waiting to be turned into shorts, but I've been busy with the sewing machine.)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5772 on: March 06, 2016, 07:45:20 PM »
* Took the bus to meet friends for lunch.

* While we were there, the kitchen broke (or so it seemed) and it took us 90 minutes to get served, so they comped all our meals. We paid for drinks and tipped our waiter well (it wasn't his fault), and it ended up being a bargain.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5773 on: March 07, 2016, 08:34:19 AM »
Bought a jar of yeast. It wouldn't proof. Realized the expiration date was January 2015!!! Took it back to the store, and they refunded me and replaced it for free.

Finally invested my Roth IRA contribution instead of letting it sit there accruing inflation.

Need some stuff at the pharmacy, but have decided to wait until they send one of their 20% off coupons.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #5774 on: March 07, 2016, 09:44:07 AM »
Not today, specifically, but a few weeks ago I saw a knitting pattern I kind of liked, but that had some elements I wasn't 100% on. It was $6. I do like to buy knitwear patterns from independent designers from time to time (most of them are the definition of "small business" and I like to give my money to private individuals versus publishing conglomerations), but I don't want to get too carried away, and like I said, there were some elements of this design I wasn't sold on. I did a search for the technique used in the design and found a book on how to do that technique. I put it on reserve at the library. Total cost of free, just had to wait for the book to come in. In the meantime I had to work on something else, but I have plenty of yarn so I have choices. I did buy a different pattern from that designer which I really like.

Lucky Girl

• Stubble
« Reply #5775 on: March 07, 2016, 10:08:44 AM »
DH missed the bill for the Target card, and realized it one day after the payment due date.  Card is in my name, so he asked me to call and get the $35 late fee waived.  Ordinarily I would never do this--I hate telephones and hate asking for money back.  Reading these forum posts gave me the courage, so I got on the phone, and $35 late fee waived!   It was very easy too, the customer service rep didn't give me any hassle about it. 

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5776 on: March 07, 2016, 10:15:42 AM »
DH missed the bill for the Target card, and realized it one day after the payment due date.  Card is in my name, so he asked me to call and get the $35 late fee waived.  Ordinarily I would never do this--I hate telephones and hate asking for money back.  Reading these forum posts gave me the courage, so I got on the phone, and $35 late fee waived!   It was very easy too, the customer service rep didn't give me any hassle about it.
Nice job!

I packed breakfast, snacks, and leftovers for lunch. 
Replenished our food storage over the weekend.  We even bought a few prepared food ideas to combat laziness (a box of Velveeta Shells and Cheese is less work than getting take-out). 

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5777 on: March 07, 2016, 10:28:08 AM »
Nice job!

Replenished our food storage over the weekend.  We even bought a few prepared food ideas to combat laziness (a box of Velveeta Shells and Cheese is less work than getting take-out).

I need to DIY frozen pizzas again for that sort of situation.

AlwaysLearningToSave

• Bristles
« Reply #5778 on: March 07, 2016, 10:31:48 AM »
* Took the bus to meet friends for lunch.

* While we were there, the kitchen broke (or so it seemed) and it took us 90 minutes to get served, so they comped all our meals. We paid for drinks and tipped our waiter well (it wasn't his fault), and it ended up being a bargain.

I love when restaurants mess up.  One of my best restaurant experiences was when a waitress dumped a large glass of lemonade in my lap.  We got out of that of that meal very cheap!  The manager even offered me free dry cleaning but I did not accept that since I happened to be wearing casual clothes and all they needed was a trip through the washing machine.  Sure, eating in damp pants isn't the most pleasant experience in the world, but I'd do it again if my party gets nearly-free meals. 

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5779 on: March 07, 2016, 10:49:34 AM »
Nice job!

I need to DIY frozen pizzas again for that sort of situation.

Mini shepherd's pies are great for that, especially if you make the filling 1/3 meat, 1/3 corn, and 1/3 vegetables... take out of the freezer, put into the oven for 45 minutes, and it's a complete meal. :) (And if you buy the ingredients on sale, it's about 2$ to feed 2-3 people, the way I make it).

Erma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5780 on: March 07, 2016, 11:23:38 AM »
I got a free pretzel at work.

SEAK

• Stubble
« Reply #5781 on: March 07, 2016, 12:19:26 PM »
Spent hours this weekend completely taking apart our old non-functional Weber Grill. We then wire-brushed all the rust and flaking paint off, scrubbed all the parts with soap and water, repainted it with high heat spray paint ($10), ordered a replacement cross over tube ($10), then put it all back together. For $20 we now have a completely functioning and nice looking grill. Better than the $400 I was planning on spending to replace it!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5782 on: March 07, 2016, 03:30:24 PM »
Spent hours this weekend completely taking apart our old non-functional Weber Grill. We then wire-brushed all the rust and flaking paint off, scrubbed all the parts with soap and water, repainted it with high heat spray paint ($10), ordered a replacement cross over tube ($10), then put it all back together. For $20 we now have a completely functioning and nice looking grill. Better than the $400 I was planning on spending to replace it!

Classic mustachian badassery. Nice work.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5783 on: March 07, 2016, 03:33:22 PM »
Instead of buying a new USB cable, I asked on my Buy Nothing Group, and will pick one up tomorrow from a neighbor. (I needed USB to USB, and we only have USB to microUSB).

Rearranged the fridge to try and prevent food waste, so we know what is there. Found a partial block of feta that got lost, and a new one opened. Still go, so it got used today with roasted broccoli.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5784 on: March 07, 2016, 05:20:08 PM »
In the past two months, we've made a huge effort to heat with wood (wood stove as a fireplace in the main part of our house; electric heat is the back-up and the only heat source for the basement, which we haven't been in much).

I got the electric bill today: 200$ UNDER my best-case-scenario estimate! 400$ under what I was expecting! WOOHOOOOO! Worth every effort!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5785 on: March 07, 2016, 07:53:40 PM »
 Went through our taxes for the second time,  then realized it will really benefit if we both max out IRAs for last year - it makes MFJ as beneficial in terms of student loan repayment as MFS has been the past few years (only works out this way because he's no longer working, so I didn't miss out on anything last year). So, tomorrow is setting up IRAs and doing the taxes for yet a third time. Figure I'm making maybe as much as $1000 a day, so it's worth it. Plus IRAs.

Also figured out that, no matter how we slice it, we're eligible for the IRS free file because our income is low enough. So that saved about 30 bucks worth of TaxAct right there.

Motherf***. Just did some back of the envelope calcs, and those IRAs will bring our savings rate for the year to just over 70% of pretax income. I'm going over to the save 80% thread to brag.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5786 on: March 07, 2016, 09:43:22 PM »
Took the plunge and ported both our numbers over to Ting. Should save us at least $100 monthly. Having some issues with Sprint/Google Voice integration so incoming calls and texts are all billable, but Google should fix it automatically within a couple of days.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5787 on: March 08, 2016, 04:37:57 AM »
My groceries arrived with a small breakage inside one bag so I got £16 refunded back. Someone was at my house at the weeekend and they broke a glass so they sent me a set of new wine glasses. :)

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5788 on: March 08, 2016, 06:14:35 AM »
I made a large batch of cold brew coffee, which used up some odds and ends of different roasts sitting in the pantry. I strained it this morning and it yielded almost a gallon, which should last most of a week.

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #5789 on: March 08, 2016, 08:00:48 AM »
Two things yesterday:

1. I spent $17 for a new valve for my pressure cooker.  I've used the PC frequently for >10 years and the valve was in desperate need of replacement.  I've really really been wanting to buy an Instant Pot, so I figured replacing the valve on my stovetop model saved me almost $100!

2. I dropped a return off at the UPS store.  Running shoes are my gazingus pin.  When I find the brand I like on clearance in my size, I can't resist.  But, right now I already have 5 pairs in my current rotation, plus 2 brand-new never-been-worn!  So I decided the 3rd pair needed to go back. One of the other 2 pairs are still within the return window but I'm on the fence about returning that pair because they were such a good price (clearance priced, and then a % off of that). 

Now I feel guilty for not running this morning. :D

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #5790 on: March 08, 2016, 08:29:07 AM »
I made a large batch of cold brew coffee, which used up some odds and ends of different roasts sitting in the pantry. I strained it this morning and it yielded almost a gallon, which should last most of a week.

How do you keep it so that it doesn't get stale?

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5791 on: March 08, 2016, 08:32:41 AM »

How do you keep it so that it doesn't get stale?

I keep it in glass pitchers in the back of the fridge so it stays colder. I've never made this large of a batch before, so I'll report back if it doesn't keep. It is entirely possible it won't last as long as I think it will, since my husband isn't a daily coffee drinker but loves iced coffee!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 08:36:03 AM by frooglepoodle »

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #5792 on: March 08, 2016, 08:39:42 AM »
Instead of buying a new USB cable, I asked on my Buy Nothing Group, and will pick one up tomorrow from a neighbor. (I needed USB to USB, and we only have USB to microUSB).

I've tried and failed to find a buy nothing group in my area.  Is it normal for groups to be limited to a single zip code?  I am literally in an adjacent zip code and am unable to join the nearest group.  I'm bummed because I have a ton of stuff and I think freecycle is full of scammers. 

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5793 on: March 08, 2016, 08:48:22 AM »
I finally have something to add other than the boring lunch and drinks from home....

I gave my HDMI cable to my daughter to allow her to watch Netflix upstairs (hooked her laptop to the television that she just inherited from her grandmother).  I was going to order another HDMI cable for my computer but instead went through my junk drawer and found a 15 pin cable that worked beautifully to re-connect my monitor (tv) to my desktop. 

Tonight I'm taking my husband to see Slayer (god help me) and instead of going out to dinner, we are going home first and eating leftovers.  I didn't want the extra calories, to have to leave work even earlier for dinner, and the expense.  SCORE

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5794 on: March 08, 2016, 03:35:46 PM »

I've tried and failed to find a buy nothing group in my area.  Is it normal for groups to be limited to a single zip code?  I am literally in an adjacent zip code and am unable to join the nearest group.  I'm bummed because I have a ton of stuff and I think freecycle is full of scammers.

Very common to be this small! They are hyper local. The whole idea is to be neighbors, so everyone is invested. Mine covers about 3 miles (~2 neighborhoods). The beauty of not having one in your area- you can start a local chapter! My chapter was only started about 2 weeks before I joined. We now have 195 people in the group! And all are confirmed addresses =) It's amazing how quickly the group grew- word of mouth is a powerful thing. But yes, part of the point of Buy Nothing is no scammers, a super high degree of accountability, and no anonymity. These are your neighbors. People are very honest with their postings! And offer some amazing gifts. It's also wonderful to be able to re-home an item by having someone ELSE come and pick it up, then thank YOU for it!

I swear guys, Buy Nothing isn't paying me, I just really love that community lol. Been instrumental to my mustachianism and minimalism!

As for what I did today to save:
It's my birthday, and to celebrate we drove out to a hike (trail pass already paid for, yearly, $36, instead of $5 each time. Has paid for itself many times over!). We aren't going out to dinner, and instead having a bottle of wine and a meal at home. My gift is going to be a hair cut at the local beauty school ($15). Once I get around to arranging it anyway =P

My friends and family so far are honoring my frugal and minimalist nature. So far I've gotten a netflix gift card, a starbucks gift card, and a bottle of wine.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5795 on: March 08, 2016, 04:14:58 PM »

It's my birthday, and to celebrate we drove out to a hike (trail pass already paid for, yearly, $36, instead of $5 each time. Has paid for itself many times over!). We aren't going out to dinner, and instead having a bottle of wine and a meal at home. My gift is going to be a hair cut at the local beauty school ($15). Once I get around to arranging it anyway =P

My friends and family so far are honoring my frugal and minimalist nature. So far I've gotten a netflix gift card, a starbucks gift card, and a bottle of wine.

Oh, Happy Birthday! 🎂 Here's an Internet toast 🍷to your wonderful day!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5796 on: March 08, 2016, 04:19:34 PM »

Oh, Happy Birthday! 🎂 Here's an Internet toast 🍷to your wonderful day!

Aww thank you! And I just got the best birthday present: our federal refund came through! I figured my mustachian friends could appreciate that one.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5797 on: March 08, 2016, 10:51:34 PM »
Replaced my own air filter and wiper fluid today. I know that's the very beginning beginning of DIY car maintenance but it was a big deal for me!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5798 on: March 09, 2016, 06:58:04 AM »
Replaced my own air filter and wiper fluid today. I know that's the very beginning beginning of DIY car maintenance but it was a big deal for me!

Woohoo!

Tip for basic (very basic) car maintenance: youtube. People do instructional videos and post them, it's super easy to learn when you're following along. :)

Also, google how much things should cost if you think it sounds a bit high (aka: my last garage wanted to charge me 90$ to replace the wipers. Um, I can buy them new at the store for 25, so... how's about no?)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5799 on: March 09, 2016, 09:51:59 AM »
I realized if I took a little extra time I could pay my (facepunchy, sadly) medical bills with a credit card instead of by check. Saved a stamp, an envelope, three checks, and got 2% cash back for the whole thing. Net gain probably $7ish.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!