Author Topic: What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?  (Read 444954 times)

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
Re: What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?
« Reply #1750 on: August 21, 2021, 11:12:08 AM »
Went along behind my husband to put the leftover hamburger buns in the freezer so they won't go to waste. Took apart the packaging that came with my mail-order pharmacy "stuff" so that it could be recycled (the wrapper, with my grocery bags) and composted (the filling, hopefully--they might toss it at the municipal composting facility but since it said compostable, I thought it was worth a try). I haven't taken the freezer packs apart yet but I will--the wrapper should be recyclable and apparently the filling can be poured on plants!

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1751 on: August 21, 2021, 02:08:24 PM »
Six miles into our bike ride we noticed that a bottle was missing. I turned around and rode all the way back to the train station to find it. I din‘t find the bottle but at least had another 12 miles of biking exercise. On the way back we took the same trains (contrary to what we planned) and found the bottle in the tracks at one station where we changed trains. The lid broke, so tomorrow we‘ll see if we can fix it or if we continue to use the bottle without a lid.

We insist that our son is bringing everything back from school that he took there including bottles. So it was good to show him that we demand the same from us when we loose a bottle.

Botany Bae

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #1752 on: August 21, 2021, 04:37:03 PM »
Shopped from our Buy Nothing group's traveling women's clothing box, and passed on some of our own no longer needed items.

Our bathroom sink faucet broke this morning and the hot water won't shut off completely. As in there is a steady flow of hot water, not a drip. Maintenance won't come in until Monday to fix it. So I shut off the water to the sink completely to stop the water and energy waste.

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #1753 on: August 21, 2021, 07:42:45 PM »
Stored saved seeds for chard from the garden in old prescription containers with the labels removed. Will share with my Buy Nothing Group over winter.

draco44

• Bristles
« Reply #1754 on: August 21, 2021, 07:48:58 PM »
Received a kitchen gadget I'd been looking for from Buy Nothing instead of purchasing a new one.

Wrapped and gave a gift using a nice gift bag and decorative shredded paper that I'd saved from a gift I'd previously received from a different person.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1755 on: August 21, 2021, 08:11:14 PM »
Made some new toys for the birdie friends out of old cardboard, old popsicle sticks, food coloring, and sisal twine

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1756 on: August 22, 2021, 06:20:52 AM »
Yesterday I recycled a bunch of Amazon boxes.  This morning, perhaps not a total win but I bought and installed an attractive wall-mounted container to better wrangle my plastic bags for scooping and disposing of cat litter. 

Last night I ate 2 individual sized containers of strawberry ice cream I purchased when I was recovering from surgery in the winter. Food waste is my big area to tackle.  I have zero likelihood of cooking yet I buy ingredients to make dishes. 

Raenia

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1757 on: August 22, 2021, 07:11:50 AM »
Went to a farm that does pick-your-own and also has a market, and bought a 1/2 bushel of seconds peaches.  Canned two batches of peach butter, with enough left over for a batch of raw-pack peach halves.  It's such a good feeling to turn bruised and "ugly" fruit into something delicious, and bring that much more of our eating, especially our winter eating, closer to home.  As a bonus, the whole box only cost $18.  Even after pitting, peeling, and discarding bruised sections, that's still 1$/lb of usable fruit.  Even counting a few bucks of gas and tolls, that's way better than we could get at a local farmer's market or our CSA box.

I plan to go back and do the same for apples in the fall.  Nothing beats homemade applesauce!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1758 on: August 22, 2021, 08:22:59 AM »
Went to a farm that does pick-your-own and also has a market, and bought a 1/2 bushel of seconds peaches.  Canned two batches of peach butter, with enough left over for a batch of raw-pack peach halves.  It's such a good feeling to turn bruised and "ugly" fruit into something delicious, and bring that much more of our eating, especially our winter eating, closer to home.  As a bonus, the whole box only cost $18.  Even after pitting, peeling, and discarding bruised sections, that's still 1$/lb of usable fruit.  Even counting a few bucks of gas and tolls, that's way better than we could get at a local farmer's market or our CSA box.

I plan to go back and do the same for apples in the fall.  Nothing beats homemade applesauce!

That is amazing! You are making me hungry! I did something similar last week with our Misfits box... they gave us a combination of bruised and unripe nectarines. After I noticed fruitflies buzzing around, I undertook to make a nectarine cobbler which despite my misgivings, was absolutely delicious (added a teeny bit of extra sugar to make up for unripeness of the fruit.) 

I am planning to double up errands at a mall. Even though some of the stores are not my favorite, at least it will be a single trip instead of three separate car trips.

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1759 on: August 23, 2021, 01:50:40 AM »
Seven miles into our bike trip we noticed that our reusable water bottle was missing. I turned around and rode all the way back to the train station without success. On the way back we changed plans and took the same train route back that we came in. Turned out we had lost the bottle earlier when we changed trains with our bikes. The bottle was still waiting for us in the tracks. Cap was broken, but it‘s still fully functional.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1760 on: August 23, 2021, 05:41:29 AM »
Found two new pairs of jeans at the thrift store.  At least one of them will replace a pair that I've patched and repatched and have reached their lifespan for use as work clothes.  I'll probably keep the patched pair, but move it into the only-wear-at-home drawer to wear when I'm working in the yard. 

stoaX

• Pencil Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #1761 on: August 24, 2021, 12:07:23 PM »
For the last 2 weeks I have taken cold showers instead of warm. That's about 7 showers.  It's still shocking and I am still not used to it.  But I think I will keep on trying.

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #1762 on: August 24, 2021, 02:17:57 PM »
Rather than driving, took transit to a doctor’s appointment.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1763 on: August 24, 2021, 03:02:06 PM »
We had our once-per-month take-out meal yesterday. I brought back the plastic containers they served the food in last time and they reused them for us.
They even seemed reasonably happy about it. I imagine that those containers, especially since the cheapest Styrofoam ones are no longer allowed, represent a noticeable expense for them. To deliver the containers I went and placed my order in person and enjoyed a walk around the neighborhood while I waited for the food. I don't think there would be a way to do this with a phone or online order, although for regular customers they could have two sets of take-out containers and just swap back-and-forth. There are coffee cup schemes like that in a few places although I haven't tried one (and would rather make my own anyway).

Frugal Lizard

• Magnum Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #1764 on: September 13, 2021, 11:09:46 AM »
I have been putting away the harvest using my dehydrator a lot more.  I love eating dried fruit and it is expensive bought at a store and has lots of packaging.  It is a lot less work than canning and a lot less GHG if I buy local or grow my own.  And being shelf stable, means I am not paying for freezer capacity.  Win win.

Dehydrated watermelon is my most favourite thing ever.

Raenia

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1765 on: September 13, 2021, 11:16:15 AM »

Went back to the orchard on Saturday for a half-bushel box of #2 pears!  Made ginger-pear marmalade, spiced pear butter, and some "pear sauce" (applesauce texture).  Still have enough pears left for a week of fresh eating, and maybe a pear tatin tart or a crisp or something.  Also picked up some locally produced apple cider.  Fall is here!

Botany Bae

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1766 on: September 13, 2021, 11:17:20 AM »
I have been putting away the harvest using my dehydrator a lot more.  I love eating dried fruit and it is expensive bought at a store and has lots of packaging.  It is a lot less work than canning and a lot less GHG if I buy local or grow my own.  And being shelf stable, means I am not paying for freezer capacity.  Win win.

Dehydrated watermelon is my most favourite thing ever.

I love this. We're trying to dehydrate more of our gleaned and foraged fruit this year. I used to can a lot, but between a smaller place and a canning lid shortage, other options were needed. I'm really digging dehydrated cinnamon apple rings. Great for snacking, but they rehydrate quickly for use in baked goods or even apple sauce.

I'm intrigued and am going to try that watermelon. I've always enjoyed watermelon rind pickles, but never tried to dehydrate watermelon. Any advice on dehydrating?

Frugal Lizard

• Magnum Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #1767 on: September 13, 2021, 11:41:07 AM »
Based on my experience with four trays of watermelon and one quick mention during a food storage webinar, I cut the watermelon in a 1 and a half inch slice through the equator.  Then I sliced off the peel.  Then I as evenly as I could in 1/4 inch slices.  I then cut the mushy bits and seeds out.  (my watermelon was getting over ripe, which is why I was dehydrating it in the first place) This resulted in slices that varied in length but were 1/4 thick and 1-1/2" wide.  Put them on lightly oiled silicon perforated mats that came with the dehydrator and it took almost 24 hours at 135.  They shrunk to a fraction of the size (a fifth maybe).  They taste more like good tasting papaya with the intensified waterless flavour. I am going to buy a whole long striped watermelon and do all 8 trays - this is such a tasty treat.

Botany Bae

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1768 on: September 13, 2021, 11:42:12 AM »
Based on my experience with four trays of watermelon and one quick mention during a food storage webinar, I cut the watermelon in a 1 and a half inch slice through the equator.  Then I sliced off the peel.  Then I as evenly as I could in 1/4 inch slices.  I then cut the mushy bits and seeds out.  (my watermelon was getting over ripe, which is why I was dehydrating it in the first place) This resulted in slices that varied in length but were 1/4 thick and 1-1/2" wide.  Put them on lightly oiled silicon perforated mats that came with the dehydrator and it took almost 24 hours at 135.  They shrunk to a fraction of the size (a fifth maybe).  They taste more like good tasting papaya with the intensified waterless flavour. I am going to buy a whole long striped watermelon and do all 8 trays - this is such a tasty treat.

Thank you!

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1769 on: September 14, 2021, 03:07:05 AM »
I bought a blue recycling bin to keep in my kitchen for various bottles and boxes, to have a big visual reminder to recycle, reuse, reduce.  So far I’ve filled it up once and thankfully the weight wasn’t too heavy to carry to my building’s recycling bins. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086XLRN7W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought a new kind of hand soap refill that comes in a carton.   

Sunday a friend and I donated about 5 bags of clothes and housewares to the local thrift shop, so that others might enjoy our Stuff more than we did. 

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1770 on: September 15, 2021, 02:24:07 PM »
We switched from plastic sponges to sisal-fiber scrubbies for our kitchen. The scrubbies last longer, work just as well, AND I can compost them when they're dead.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Magnum Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1771 on: September 15, 2021, 02:51:08 PM »
I'm embarrassed to say that we just started saving our shower warm up water. But, we did, and we're a family of four (including two teens, who take long showers, if allowed). I'm really surprised by how much water we can collect in a day, and we are now using this to water our plants.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1772 on: September 15, 2021, 03:32:18 PM »
We switched from plastic sponges to sisal-fiber scrubbies for our kitchen. The scrubbies last longer, work just as well, AND I can compost them when they're dead.

I have been knitting cotton dish cloths and asked my husband to pick up coconut scrubbers at Target. We have actually been using compostable sponges but they are not entirely satisfactory.

Also on the list were lemon-lime soda drops for the SodaStream (for the kids; we have Bubly drops for ourselves). If I ever, you know, take it out of the box, we will save so many cans, if no money.

And I remembered to both bring and use a cloth napkin at work!

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #1773 on: September 15, 2021, 06:27:19 PM »
Set washing machine to 30 min daily wash in cold water. It is a beautiful sunny day so hanging eveverything on the clothesline will sanitise and naturally bleach the teatowels and crocheted wash clothes.
And am going to make my own hooded towel poncho for the beach using a bath sheet that is too big.

Weisass

• Bristles
« Reply #1774 on: September 15, 2021, 08:30:11 PM »
Ditched the car today and took the train one way, my bike the other. Was glorious, would do again!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1775 on: September 18, 2021, 10:43:49 AM »
I'm embarrassed to say that we just started saving our shower warm up water. But, we did, and we're a family of four (including two teens, who take long showers, if allowed). I'm really surprised by how much water we can collect in a day, and we are now using this to water our plants.

That is great! While water waste does not seem to be an issue where I live, I usually stick my head first into the warm up water to dampen my hair, since for some reason my head does not feel the cold the way the rest of my body does.

We've been using the newly resuscitated laundry line daily.  I also have started shopping for bicycles. We used to be a cycling kind of family but everybody outgrew their bikes, and suddenly bikes became expensive so I kind of put off the bike purchases.

I also signed up to help out at an upcoming Repair Fair that somebody has been organizing.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1776 on: September 18, 2021, 07:25:50 PM »
I recycled some plastic bags and used the appropriate amount of detergent so that my wash did not require an additional spin and rinse.