Author Topic: What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?  (Read 372486 times)

FIRE_at_45

• Magnum Stache
    • I found happiness! Now what!?
Re: What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?
« Reply #1550 on: August 30, 2019, 12:48:19 PM »
We have company for breakfast and I'm using up some very overripe bananas to make banana pancakes

We were gifted a whole load of fruit from a neighbour's tree that was going to go to waste otherwise because she's single and can't eat it all.

Overripe bananas make a great substitute for ice cream.  Cut them into dices and freeze them.  Dump them into a good blender of food processor with a dash of vanilla extract or cocoa powder and a milk substitute.  Blend them up into a soft serve consistency.  Serve with some fresh fruit and chocolate chips. 

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1551 on: August 30, 2019, 01:27:09 PM »
We have company for breakfast and I'm using up some very overripe bananas to make banana pancakes

We were gifted a whole load of fruit from a neighbour's tree that was going to go to waste otherwise because she's single and can't eat it all.

Overripe bananas make a great substitute for ice cream.  Cut them into dices and freeze them.  Dump them into a good blender of food processor with a dash of vanilla extract or cocoa powder and a milk substitute.  Blend them up into a soft serve consistency.  Serve with some fresh fruit and chocolate chips.

This sounds good, I'll save it for next time! Normally I make banana bread from leftover bananas but I'm looking for a little bit of variation.

I've used a similar recipe for breakfast iced drinks in the past when I got load of overripe peaches in the summer and I still had a huge freezer. I would cut them all up, freeze them and blend two peaches with some yoghurt - my s/o loves really really cold drinks and doesn't eat much in the morning.

Our current freezer is dying, but still working. We are eating the contents and then unplugging it. We've only had used freezers so far, but this time we're looking for new due to the energy savings. We don't feel completely comfortable buying brand new so we'll hold out without a freezer until we can find a (nearly) new freezer with cosmetic damage or without a box or something.

We have so far always used our appliances until they stopped working, but I took our meter readings recently and they were much higher than they were, so that was the final straw. I still feel bad about throwing away a functional appliance but there's no point in keeping it. At some point I guess the high energy consumption doesn't weigh up against the environmental impact of making new machine.

okcisok

• Stubble
« Reply #1552 on: August 31, 2019, 08:45:13 AM »
Picked up an entire carrier bag's worth of recyclables on my walk this morning.

Sold some more items on FB Marketplace, to keep the used market lively!

The plastic bag holder I sewed from scrap fabric and attached to the dog's leash is working great. I've completely switched over to used bags, no more bags purchased specifically for poop. I don't generate any of the bags, I get them all from family & friends who haven't made the switch to reusables.

I used my sewn-from-scraps produce bags at Aldi, and the cashier didn't even blink. Just opened the drawstring to see what I had, and rang em up! Now to try them out at Winco, Whole Foods, etc, where you are supposed to write the code number on the wired paper twist to close a plastic bag. Any solutions that doesn't involve the paper twist tie attached to my reusable bag?

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1553 on: August 31, 2019, 09:42:52 AM »
I used my sewn-from-scraps produce bags at Aldi, and the cashier didn't even blink. Just opened the drawstring to see what I had, and rang em up! Now to try them out at Winco, Whole Foods, etc, where you are supposed to write the code number on the wired paper twist to close a plastic bag. Any solutions that doesn't involve the paper twist tie attached to my reusable bag?

When I buy from bulk bins, I note the #'s on my phone.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1554 on: August 31, 2019, 10:07:55 AM »

I have done this. I have grand plans to write the bin numbers of my most commonly-purchased items on the bags with a fabric marker, but in the meantime I have used the picture.

Last night I stashed leftovers in a washed-out yogurt carton (bought as starter for the homemade stuff, although I did treat myself to a larger carton of Fage) instead of purchasing yet more reusable dishes.

This morning I finished off some blueberries and saved the paper towel I had wrapped them in (lining the carton with a paper towel makes them last longer). I will use it next time I rub oil in my cast iron pan.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1555 on: August 31, 2019, 11:22:47 AM »
I've been using handkerchiefs (from a ripped secondhand pillowcase) and hand towels in place of TP/paper towels.

TrMama

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1556 on: August 31, 2019, 11:42:01 PM »
Managed to reuse enough school supplies that I only had to buy about half the items on my kids school supply lists. This ended up being both an environmental and financial win since I only had to spend $40 to kit out 2 middle schoolers. I also biked to the office supply store to buy all the stuff.

The supply lists also called for 3 ring pencil pouches (the ones that can be snapped into a 3 ring binder). I know from experience the ones sold at office supply stores only last a week before falling apart. So I made 4 pouches out of fabric scraps. Kids are thrilled and I'm thrilled that they won't fall apart next week.

Now to try them out at Winco, Whole Foods, etc, where you are supposed to write the code number on the wired paper twist to close a plastic bag. Any solutions that doesn't involve the paper twist tie attached to my reusable bag?

You should be able to write on the fabric bag with a kids washable marker. You can then either wash the bag with your laundry or rinse the number off in the sink.

chaskavitch

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1557 on: September 01, 2019, 06:32:53 AM »

I just write them on my hand.  Can't lose them that way!

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1558 on: September 01, 2019, 08:37:25 AM »

I've got too many bulk bin codes, not enough hand space.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1559 on: September 01, 2019, 01:15:59 PM »

Couldn't you just the same cloth bags for the same bulk items every time and just write the code on the cloth bag itself (along with the name of the item, too, I guess).

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1560 on: September 01, 2019, 01:49:11 PM »

Couldn't you just the same cloth bags for the same bulk items every time and just write the code on the cloth bag itself (along with the name of the item, too, I guess).

This would not work for me. I'm happy with my current methods.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1561 on: September 01, 2019, 02:10:31 PM »
I rode my bike to work even though it is eleventy-one degrees outside. Also, lately I have been bring home my orange peels and apple cores to put in my home compost instead of in the work landfill-destined trash bins.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1562 on: September 04, 2019, 02:12:51 PM »
Ate another person's leftovers even though I was not super enthused about them (perfectly edible, just subpar -- probably why they were left at my house).

Posted some furniture we need to get rid of (moving to a smaller space) on Buy Nothing.

Turned a beloved broken mug into a plant holder instead of tossing it.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1563 on: September 04, 2019, 02:30:34 PM »
I got a ton of scavenged food. I also made room in my freezer for said food by giving other food away to a friend. (Alternative would've been tossing the freezer food, I really didn't like it.)

cari8285

• Stubble
« Reply #1564 on: September 06, 2019, 10:47:30 AM »
I've been vegan for about a year now so that's a small thing I do for the environment everyday. Breakfast is usually oats, and my other meals usually consist of rice, beans, potatoes, etc.

I've been riding my bike to work and today will be the first time riding my bike to the grocery store!

I've started to save all glass jars in place of getting more tupperware, and that's been working out great!

I use a menstrual cup (and have been using it for the past few years).

I use a safety razor so no more plastic/disposable razors.

I want to invest in a sprayer and transition over to cloth toilet paper and I really need to do a better job of bringing bags with me to do the grocery store so I no longer use plastic or paper bags (which will be easier to remember now that I am starting to bike more - I ride with a backpack). I've been looking into composting, and in general I've done a really good job of reducing my waste lately and recycling more. I also most likely won't have kids (unless I adopt or foster) but that's a long term BIG way to reduce environmental impact, lol.

gatortator

• Stubble
« Reply #1565 on: September 06, 2019, 10:48:22 AM »
I can't find the post to quote it...  but I have been successfully using the water from our dehumidifier in our washing machine since it the topic was first posted here..  so cool!  we have a load sensing machine so it's been working great.

my spouse chuckled a little when I mentioned my excitement at starting to do this.  apparently, this was a standard operating procedure in his old childhood home.  i guess on some things, we are just reinventing the wheel / relearning from the past.

FIRE_at_45

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1566 on: September 06, 2019, 02:31:17 PM »
I successfully transitioned my company away from selling single use plastic water bottles, as well as large office style refillable water bottles.  It was a long road filled with a lot of discussion but the consensus has been overwhelmingly positive.  I've heard all the counter arguments about steering people to buy sugary drinks instead but we've removed every possible obstacle to tap water by providing bottle filling stations and selling re-usable bottles in place of plastic. 

Next up I want to eliminate the other plastic beverage containers in favour of glass or aluminum. 

On the home front I have one season of gardening under my belt.  I converted a small grassy area to wildflowers and now I'm considering growing more food in that area (squash, zucchini etc.).  I was amazed by how many moths, butterflies and bees that have visited.  "If you build it they will come." ;)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1567 on: September 06, 2019, 03:42:14 PM »
I successfully transitioned my company away from selling single use plastic water bottles, as well as large office style refillable water bottles.  It was a long road filled with a lot of discussion but the consensus has been overwhelmingly positive.

That's awesome! :-)

It used to drive me crazy at my old office that we had both tap water and bottled water (from the five-gallon refillable bottles that we would get delivered) and half the people in the office would still go out to buy drinks in SUP bottles. Imagine how much money they're wasting, how much plastic waste they produce, just to consume a ton of sugar. :-/

TrMama

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1568 on: September 06, 2019, 07:48:27 PM »
I successfully transitioned my company away from selling single use plastic water bottles, as well as large office style refillable water bottles.  It was a long road filled with a lot of discussion but the consensus has been overwhelmingly positive.  I've heard all the counter arguments about steering people to buy sugary drinks instead but we've removed every possible obstacle to tap water by providing bottle filling stations and selling re-usable bottles in place of plastic. 

Next up I want to eliminate the other plastic beverage containers in favour of glass or aluminum. 

On the home front I have one season of gardening under my belt.  I converted a small grassy area to wildflowers and now I'm considering growing more food in that area (squash, zucchini etc.).  I was amazed by how many moths, butterflies and bees that have visited.  "If you build it they will come." ;)

That's fantastic about the  water bottles!

My win this week is that I accepted my coworker's offer of her daughter's old clarinet. My youngest daughter is starting band this year and wants to play clarinet. We stopped a the music store this afternoon for reeds and a couple maintenance items and now it feels like a bigger financial win than environmental. The cheapest new clarinet in the store was $600.

Biked to work every day this week. I also biked to school with the kids for their first time. It's a 7km trek over some pretty busy roads so that was a big deal. Not sure if it's become a regular thing, but I'm super proud of them for tackling it.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1569 on: September 07, 2019, 10:57:46 PM »
No driving today.

Picked up 8 recyclable bottles and cans on the way home.

We had a whole-house fan installed today; it should hopefully reduce our electricity use for air conditioning in the hottest months when our living room and kitchen are almost unbearably hot in the late afternoon.

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #1570 on: September 08, 2019, 01:13:13 PM »
What are people doing about condiments? I tried a couple of brands of ketchup in a glass jar and didn't like the way they taste (whatever recipe they used definitely isn't what I'm used to!).  Most stores only sell the typical brands like Heinz or other condiments in thick plastic containers. Anyone had success making their own tasty ketchup? Besides the environmental impact, just thinking about the consumption of microplastics make me disgusted.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1571 on: September 08, 2019, 01:15:48 PM »
I'm buying stuff like body lotion, skin care products from Lush.  They have their own recycling program - take back 5 of their plastic containers and they give you a free skin cream.  Then they recycle the containers and use them again.  Some of their products are also sold without packaging. 

cari8285

• Stubble
« Reply #1572 on: September 09, 2019, 02:09:52 PM »
I'm buying stuff like body lotion, skin care products from Lush.  They have their own recycling program - take back 5 of their plastic containers and they give you a free skin cream.  Then they recycle the containers and use them again.  Some of their products are also sold without packaging.

I get my skin care products from them as well! I have a few body washes (not from Lush) to finish up, but I plan on getting bar soap from them when I'm done with the body washes to avoid packaging. I'm not crazy about their prices but I just stick to essentials. I went through a period of trying every new product they came out with, but it killed me financially, lol.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1573 on: September 10, 2019, 01:53:36 PM »
The babysitter was confused and made the children wash their hair with my shampoo, which she fetched from my bathroom. She did not know that I have taught them to wash their hair with Dove soap and she didn't think it smelled clean enough, I guess. Environmental Mustachian MPPs!

(I am personally considering switching to bar shampoo when this runs out... but it lasts me a VERY long time.)

MoolahLula

• Bristles
« Reply #1574 on: September 21, 2019, 04:33:01 AM »
I have been taking more random stuff to my building’s recycling area that I used to just throw don th olde trash chute.  I’m also trying to Freecycle more objects vice hauling them to my favorite thrift store.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1575 on: September 23, 2019, 10:02:04 AM »
We've gotten rid of 15+ pieces of furniture through the local "curb economy" instead of dumping it.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1576 on: September 23, 2019, 11:11:04 PM »
I got a $50 off $99 grocery delivery coupon in the mail, and I was pretty sick for the past week and very tempted to use it, but decided in the end that it wasn't worth the environmental costs - I ordered from them one time before and the amount of overpackaging was outrageous. Plastic in boxes in plastic in boxes ad nauseam. I had to go to the pharmacy today so I picked up a few groceries while I was out. Brought my reusable bags and turned down a bag at the pharmacy. (Although I am annoyed at the amount of trash generated at the pharmacy anyway - for a total of four fricking pills, there's a plastic-and-foil blister pack, in a ziploc plastic bag, in a paper bag with informational papers stapled to it, plus a paper receipt, and then they want to put that in yet another plastic bag! Plastic in plastic in paper in plastic. For four pills.)

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1577 on: September 24, 2019, 01:46:11 PM »
This weekend was the big semi-annual consignment sale, where I got most the kids' winter things second hand AND let them get out their urge to buy stupid plastic crap by spending their allowance on secondhand toys, so at least it's stupid plastic crap that was already out there in the world. (Bonus: They got a great deal.)

This morning I started a batch of yogurt in the Instant Pot using milk that came in a reusable carton and I bought ground turkey in a three-pound package to save packaging and a few bucks.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1578 on: September 25, 2019, 09:31:21 AM »
* Took the e-bike to get my big kid from school
* Line dried a load of towels
* Composted food waste
* Maintained the yard with manual tools
* Breastfed and cloth diapered the baby
* Didn't purchase any beef, pork or mutton

Frugal Lizard

• Magnum Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #1579 on: September 25, 2019, 07:12:50 PM »
I used up some cabbage before it went yucky, lined dried two loads of laundry and swept the floors instead of vacuuming.

StarBright

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1580 on: September 26, 2019, 09:48:26 AM »
I used up some cabbage before it went yucky, lined dried two loads of laundry and swept the floors instead of vacuuming.

I need to get back to line drying laundry! Ironing was taking so much time that I slowly switched to back to washer and dryer. We are doing really well on continuing to eat low meat. Kids are even starting to get used to it.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1581 on: September 26, 2019, 01:14:13 PM »
On my lunch walk, there was an empty grocery sack stuck to the side of a bridge. I retrieved the sack and filled it with some of the other garbage I came across.

Frugal Lizard

• Magnum Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #1582 on: September 27, 2019, 01:12:46 PM »
I rode my bike to the climate strike downtown.

FIRE_at_45

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1583 on: October 01, 2019, 01:59:30 PM »
I am actively influencing my boss on my next work change (elimination of single use plastic beverage containers in favour of more recyclable aluminum and glass).  I'm hopeful we can carry the momentum of successfully eliminating water bottles sales and get rid of the plastic completely.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1584 on: October 01, 2019, 02:15:58 PM »
I rode my bike to a doctor's appointment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1585 on: October 01, 2019, 02:26:32 PM »
I didn't ride in a car of any kind for the entire month of September.

Raenia

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1586 on: October 02, 2019, 03:06:10 PM »
Just ordered several more pairs of Thinx.  When they arrive, I'll be able to switch entirely to reusable period products, instead of using pads as backup to my cup.  I ordered everything I think I'll need in one go to save on shipping materials (and $).  I'll donate the rest of my supply of single-use products to a women's shelter in my city.

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1587 on: October 02, 2019, 03:39:49 PM »
I snuck around my office last week and raised the thermostats from 68°F to 72°F. I'm still wearing my jacket, but at least I've eliminated the possibility of frostbite.... (Plus I bike or ride the bus to the office most days of the week.)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1588 on: October 09, 2019, 09:40:08 PM »
I just read that above post and cringed because my apartment is currently being overheated to 72F (I don't control my own heat) and it seemed like such a terrible thing to do! But I guess you were talking about air conditioning... :-)  I wish I had a better tolerance for warm indoor temps, I find 72 very stuffy and unpleasant. I don't even start putting clothes on at home until it's down to 68 or so. (Reason #1,928 why I don't have a roommate...)

Win of the day: I hung on to that silicone zip-top bag that had a little hole in it for ages, hoping I could come up with some use for it... and today I realized it makes a perfect grippy thing for opening stuck jar lids. I was just about giving myself a stroke trying to open a factory-sealed screw-top lid and then I thought of that, tried it and it opened instantly. Score! I think if I cut it up I could make two or three of them.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #1589 on: October 09, 2019, 09:50:00 PM »
I work as a school teacher.  I did "yard duty" today - actually patrolling a classroom building and kicking the students out into the yard.  I spent the first 10 minutes walking into each room and turning off the heaters that were often set to 30 degrees C, and turning off the lights. 

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #1590 on: November 19, 2019, 08:34:09 PM »
Dragged my kids on a nature walk and picked up a bag of trash while we were there.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1591 on: November 19, 2019, 09:28:18 PM »
Dragged my kids on a nature walk and picked up a bag of trash while we were there.

Username checks out... :-)

I got sick last week right after a big grocery shop but managed to cook up everything and not waste all the perishable ingredients. In a previous life I might have said "fuck it" and ordered out for a couple of meals when I was sick instead of cooking. Instead I roasted a chicken and used it for chicken caesar salad, chicken fajitas, and chicken soup, plus I put a container of stock in the freezer for the next time I am sick and need soup.

TrMama

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1592 on: November 20, 2019, 10:17:29 AM »
This isn't my win, but DH's. He's been a committed meat eater forever. After many years of me, and then ODD, gently nudging him to just try to eat a little less meat last weekend he announced he'd eaten vegetarian for an entire day.

Last week I went to take the garbage can out to the curb only to discover it was empty. That won't happen every week, but I was actually kind of shocked that it happened at all.

StarBright

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1593 on: November 21, 2019, 06:48:39 PM »
Subbed in Beyond Beef this week for taco night and the kids thought it was better than the usual mix (ground turkey supplemented w/ very finely diced mushrooms).

it was pretty good- but also pretty pricey.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1594 on: November 21, 2019, 06:52:43 PM »
My old water heater died.  Had it replaced with a new tankless water heater.  Now water only gets heated as I use it, and there's not 40 gallons sitting around in need of constant heating 24/7 like with the old system. 

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1595 on: November 22, 2019, 05:05:03 PM »
Walked my kids to school in the snow. Saves a tiny bit of gas and hopefully makes that their normal in life.

I did drive to work, BUT I always drive to work if I am going to the gym, and I cleverly took a too-snowy-to-bike day and made it my gym day, killing two birds with one stone.

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #1596 on: November 22, 2019, 06:35:47 PM »
Picked up some bottles and cans and other trash while walking yesterday, while visiting a natural area today and on a secluded area of our street. I love detrashing!

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #1597 on: November 22, 2019, 08:53:55 PM »
Caught the train to the shops rather than drove. 

Raenia

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1598 on: November 23, 2019, 10:25:51 AM »
Walked to the hardware store instead of driving.

Changed my default search engine to Ecosia.

FIRE_at_45

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1599 on: November 23, 2019, 11:38:28 AM »
Subbed in Beyond Beef this week for taco night and the kids thought it was better than the usual mix (ground turkey supplemented w/ very finely diced mushrooms).

it was pretty good- but also pretty pricey.

If you want to cut the cost have you tried making your own re-fried beans?  Super easy.  Take 1 can of black beans.  Throw them in the blender with 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp chili powder and 1 tsp of garlic powder.  Add a dash of cumin and pepper.  Adjust spices to your liking.  I generally add more than quoted but my kids love garlic powder. 

Grind it up.  Throw it in a frying pan and simmer down to the right consistency.