Author Topic: What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?  (Read 119685 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?
« Reply #950 on: August 30, 2018, 11:12:36 AM »

Have you tried shampoo bars? I haven't yet (I use very small amounts of product and only wash my hair twice a week at most, so shampoo/conditioner routine has been a lower priority to address than other items), but I know a friend who really likes it. You can get it in the paper soap wrappers.

Iíve thought about it but am leery to try them. Itís taken me years to find a product that works well with my hair but if I want to realize my plastic free beauty routine I will have to get over my misgivings

I definitely relate to this! I just try to give myself permission to go slow, and not try and change everything at once, so that I don't get frustrated and give up. Every change helps, even if you aren't being "perfect". Some changes that last forever have a much bigger impact than ALL the changes that only last a short time.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?
« Reply #951 on: September 07, 2018, 07:52:04 PM »
* Cargo biked to groceries yesterday and cargo biked the school run today

* Line dried a load of clothes

* Lots of composting of fall leaves and vacuum-cleaner guts and the unrecoverable leftover bits from school lunches
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 11:13:24 AM by jengod »

chaskavitch

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #952 on: September 09, 2018, 06:37:09 AM »

Have you tried shampoo bars? I haven't yet (I use very small amounts of product and only wash my hair twice a week at most, so shampoo/conditioner routine has been a lower priority to address than other items), but I know a friend who really likes it. You can get it in the paper soap wrappers.

Iíve thought about it but am leery to try them. Itís taken me years to find a product that works well with my hair but if I want to realize my plastic free beauty routine I will have to get over my misgivings

I definitely relate to this! I just try to give myself permission to go slow, and not try and change everything at once, so that I don't get frustrated and give up. Every change helps, even if you aren't being "perfect". Some changes that last forever have a much bigger impact than ALL the changes that only last a short time.

I switched to using a shampoo bar a few months ago, and what's really made all the difference is using an apple cider vinegar rinse after I rinse my shampoo out with water. 

I haven't been using conditioner, and tbh I only wash my hair every 4 days or so, but I was getting a ton of build-up of what I assume was soap.  It felt super gross, even if it wasn't all that visible if you weren't running your hands through my hair.  I use a rinse of ~ 2 Tbs of apple cider vinegar in 1.5 - 2 cups water (it's a jam jar I repurposed, I'm not sure of the exact volume) every time I wash, and it's made my hair SO MUCH BETTER.  My hair is pretty thick and long enough to reach past my bra strap, so you may need more or less depending on how much hair you have. 

It was a little bit of a learning curve to figure out how to work the shampoo through my hair well enough, but I honestly feel like my hair is as good or better than it was when I was using normal shampoo and conditioner, and I feel infinitely better about the lack of plastic in my routine.  I switched to bar soap for my body, too, and it's just such a easy/sustainable change once you actually make it.  You're just like "Well, this is my soap, it's gonna last for another...6 months?  I guess I'll keep using it!" 

gatortator

• Stubble
« Reply #953 on: September 11, 2018, 02:08:14 PM »

I switched to using a shampoo bar a few months ago, and what's really made all the difference is using an apple cider vinegar rinse after I rinse my shampoo out with water. 

I have been using a locally made bar shampoo for 2-3 years now.  I love it.  I have fine hair, medium length (but a lot of them) and really like the results with the bar.  I use the same bar as a body wash as well.  One bar last me 6-8 weeks.  cleaning the shower is easier as is packing my toiletries for travel-- only have to move/pack 1 thing.

here is the one I use.

https://www.mountainmadnesssoap.com/products/everything-bar-natural-vegan-gourmet-soap

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #954 on: September 17, 2018, 02:30:38 AM »
I'm impressed by people here!

I started reading (the Dutch) book 'The Hidden Impact'. It's about the impacts for Dutch people but I think it can be replaced by any Western country.

It talks about the hidden impact of everything, buying and owning stuff, transport, housing, food. What's the impact and what is it that you can do about it. I like that it shows not only the impact by using but the complete impact, manufacturing, transporting, land use and deforestation, water etc. I really like the graphics as well as I'm a very visual person.

https://medium.com/inside-vbat/this-book-might-change-your-life-3229060f3226

okcisok

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #955 on: September 18, 2018, 11:44:58 AM »
I cut a jarful of going-to-seed herbs and wildflowers from the community garden instead of buying fresh flowers. I did drive to get there, but combined it with other errands. Including recycling aluminum cans :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #956 on: September 18, 2018, 11:54:11 AM »
Husband and I are selling and moving. We're heavily leaning moving into a modern eco apartment rather than a home. Smaller space to heat and cool, more walkable, greywater recycling and other building amenities, etc. New apartments around here are LEED gold at least, and substantially increasing the density of the city.

If we do this, I think it'll be a BIG change to our environmental impact.

bacchi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #957 on: September 18, 2018, 12:21:55 PM »

I started reading (the Dutch) book 'The Hidden Impact'. It's about the impacts for Dutch people but I think it can be replaced by any Western country.

It talks about the hidden impact of everything, buying and owning stuff, transport, housing, food. What's the impact and what is it that you can do about it. I like that it shows not only the impact by using but the complete impact, manufacturing, transporting, land use and deforestation, water etc. I really like the graphics as well as I'm a very visual person.

Great graphic!

1) Buy less shit
2) Become vegetarian.
3) Live in a smaller house and make it more energy efficient.

For US comparison's sake, the average (new) Dutch house is 1248 ft^2 for ~2 people and it's 2185 ft^2 in the US, which means that the US equivalent graphic might have housing equal to meat eating (though I bet Americans eat more meat than the Dutch, too).

OtherJen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #958 on: September 20, 2018, 08:23:41 AM »
I turned a few pounds of mealy and slightly bruised apples (they looked good in the bag) into applesauce rather than tossing them. Bonus: free kitchen aromatherapy.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
    • I found happiness! Now what!?
« Reply #959 on: September 20, 2018, 07:41:42 PM »
I recently renovated a place and in the process I installed energy efficient lights (LEDs) to every fixture.  I have no baseline for comparison because I moved into the place after renovating.  Without heat I am averaging $1/day for all electricity which includes the hot water heater.  It seems pretty efficient to me for a townhouse of ~950 square feet.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #960 on: September 22, 2018, 12:51:49 PM »

Getting children is not on that graph. It also surprises me that flying is some steps lower than car. I thought that even a trip within Europe would have about as much impact as driving in your own country for a whole year. And if you didn't get a child, you could fly and drive as much as you wanted. (Not that I do that).

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #961 on: September 23, 2018, 05:13:24 AM »
Linda, these are the numbers for the average Dutch person. That's why she recommends putting your own numbers in. The absolute impact of flying is definitely bigger than that of driving a car, but apparently the average Dutchie flies not that much (many people don't fly at all..) while using the car relatively more and this comes out worse for the cars in total average emission. Maybe also because cars get replaced more often and the non-current use part of it is higher? For me as a person the flying is definitely higher and the car at 0 so it's a very personal thing :).

I find the getting children one a tough one - do we count the kid as a full extra person to add to your impact (or half as shared with other parent)? And from what age not anymore? Because in that case you wouldn't have to count the impact of the child itself anymore if it's already counted with the parents.. I think saying you can fly and drive as much as you want when not having a child is bullshit. When I put in a calculator my footprint is already blows up to 2.5x the earth with a childless life (average Dutch person is at 3.6x I think), so adding a child would make it worse but not having the child doesn't make me an environmental saint.

BuffaloStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #962 on: September 23, 2018, 02:06:18 PM »
Went grocery shopping today and noticed the person in line ahead of me had a small amount of produce (3 apples) in a plastic bag, that they then put into a double-layer-plastic bag.

Unless it's green beans or other small/loose produce, I never put my apples/oranges/peppers in a bag and bring reusable shopping bags ~90% of the time (I'm not perfect, but I remember them more than not).

OtherJen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #963 on: September 23, 2018, 02:21:38 PM »
Went grocery shopping today and noticed the person in line ahead of me had a small amount of produce (3 apples) in a plastic bag, that they then put into a double-layer-plastic bag.

Unless it's green beans or other small/loose produce, I never put my apples/oranges/peppers in a bag and bring reusable shopping bags ~90% of the time (I'm not perfect, but I remember them more than not).

I've wondered about reusable mesh produce bags. Have you tried them? I love my reusable shopping bags and wonder if there's any resistance to the produce bags at grocery store checkouts.

bacchi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #964 on: September 23, 2018, 02:37:17 PM »

I've wondered about reusable mesh produce bags. Have you tried them? I love my reusable shopping bags and wonder if there's any resistance to the produce bags at grocery store checkouts.

We use the mesh bags all the time. They need more washing (=soaking in a sink with oxy and soap) than shopping bags but no one has complained.

We use these for dry bulk items like rice and lentils: https://www.amazon.com/Drawstring-Vegetables-Reusable-Household-Organizing/dp/B01IT37BPG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1537734990&sr=8-2&keywords=cloth+reusable+bulk+bags

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #965 on: September 24, 2018, 02:35:32 AM »
Linda, these are the numbers for the average Dutch person. That's why she recommends putting your own numbers in. The absolute impact of flying is definitely bigger than that of driving a car, but apparently the average Dutchie flies not that much (many people don't fly at all..) while using the car relatively more and this comes out worse for the cars in total average emission. Maybe also because cars get replaced more often and the non-current use part of it is higher? For me as a person the flying is definitely higher and the car at 0 so it's a very personal thing :).

I find the getting children one a tough one - do we count the kid as a full extra person to add to your impact (or half as shared with other parent)? And from what age not anymore? Because in that case you wouldn't have to count the impact of the child itself anymore if it's already counted with the parents.. I think saying you can fly and drive as much as you want when not having a child is bullshit. When I put in a calculator my footprint is already blows up to 2.5x the earth with a childless life (average Dutch person is at 3.6x I think), so adding a child would make it worse but not having the child doesn't make me an environmental saint.

I couldn't figure out where to put in my own numbers, so I used another random calculator: http://footprint.wwf.org.uk/carbon/footprint.
My footprint is half of UK average.

My travel is high, because this year I made both a domestic and a European flight and will probably make one more European flight later this year. I also made my commuting car use a bit higher than actual, because we use the car quit a bit on weekends when we travel away. I do try to walk to work once or twice a week, but that is not in my results.

Buying stuff scored quite good this year, because exactly this year we didn't buy any big and electronic stuff. But we did in the previous 3 years. :-( For buying clothes in a typical month I chose 0, because the next step was way higher than those very few items I bought this year.

I guess my home scores quite good, because I checked off for renewable energy, as Norway in general has water powered energy. This clean energy is by the way also sold on paper to Europeans to give them good conscience, the same energy sold twice. I also use wood for warming up, but couldn't register a combination of wood and electricity.

For food, I am making an effort to eat less meat and less red meat. We eat vegetarian maybe once a week on average. But I still eat meat in most meals and had to choose that option. Even though we have been eating quite a bit of self-caught fish this year, it was not enough to make a major impact on our eating footprint. I also answered that I eat quite a bit of non local food, as I am not very aware of that when I buy stuff. And I regularly eat stuff like kiwi's. I think even a lot of wheat used in Norwegian bread comes from Brazil, because we have a dangerous fungus in our wheat.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #966 on: September 24, 2018, 02:46:43 AM »
My 4 year old smartphone wasn't working properly and I started thinking about having to buy a new one. Whatever I did', it was complaining about lack of memory. Deleting files didn't help. Then I found out it was using 4,5 GB in temporary data from apps. I used the button to delete the temporary data. Now it works fine again.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #967 on: September 24, 2018, 03:36:45 AM »
We use mesh bags for fruit and veges, calico bags for dried beans etc. Never had an issue so far, and we just chuck ours in the wash.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #968 on: September 24, 2018, 05:00:22 AM »

Exactly, these numbers are for an average Dutch person and like the article said, very scalable for flying and car use. But also for house and stuff.

We eat vegan, so the food impact is very low. The book also mentions dairy having a really big impact. The only reason fish doesn't have a impact  on this scale is that Dutch people don't eat a lot, so substituting meat with dairy and/or fish wouldn't help.

For me personally, the flying has a bigger impact than food, house, car.. We eat vegan, don't have a car, don't have a lot appliances (1 tv, no dryer, no clothes dryer, no dishwasher). We do however travel to other cities and countries. We try to limit it to once or twice a year but that shit adds up.

Our footprint is also something like 2 - 2.5 x the earth. Still a lot!!!

BuffaloStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #969 on: September 25, 2018, 08:54:40 AM »

I don't have the mesh bags, but those do seem good! But I think i still might just not use bags unless I have a lot of produce and/or they are small and numerous items (like green beans)

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #970 on: September 25, 2018, 09:58:05 AM »
Hand Dryers

There were questions about how hygienic hand dryers are compared to paper towels.

https://youtu.be/YKxT1k1cmXc

^here is an explanation of the study that garnered so much media attention.  People love to hear about bacteria and viruses that are literally everywhere.  In my workplace we have many towel dispensers that require you to push a handle to get a towel.  These are much less hygienic than placing your hands under a stream of air run through a hepa filter.

Here are some other facts about paper towels:

Paper towels have a high impact on the environment.
They need constant restocking and disposal, ending
up in landfill. Dyson Airbladeô hand dryers produce
up to 79% less CO2 than some other hand dryers
and up to 76% less than paper towels.

Credit for this stat to General Motors and Dyson.

coldestcat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #971 on: September 25, 2018, 10:54:37 AM »
started more actively monitoring the local Craigslist>free section along with freecycle.org, and nextdoor.com to see whats going on.
2 weekends ago someone was giving away huge agave plant as long as we dug it (took about an hour), as well as 30 cans of wet cat food, a bag of dry food, and a bunch of snacks (the owner's cat had passed and wanted to get rid of it as it was causing grief).
Also starting to use the library more as it is right next to my wife's job and she can pick up books for us on her lunch break.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #972 on: September 25, 2018, 11:23:21 AM »
Hand Dryers

There were questions about how hygienic hand dryers are compared to paper towels.

https://youtu.be/YKxT1k1cmXc

^here is an explanation of the study that garnered so much media attention.  People love to hear about bacteria and viruses that are literally everywhere.  In my workplace we have many towel dispensers that require you to push a handle to get a towel.  These are much less hygienic than placing your hands under a stream of air run through a hepa filter.

Here are some other facts about paper towels:

Paper towels have a high impact on the environment.
They need constant restocking and disposal, ending
up in landfill. Dyson Airbladeô hand dryers produce
up to 79% less CO2 than some other hand dryers
and up to 76% less than paper towels.

Credit for this stat to General Motors and Dyson.

I didn't know that. I just find that some hand dryers make so much noise that I don't tolerate them. Then I rather shake my hands off and wipe the rest off on my t-shirt.

okcisok

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #973 on: September 26, 2018, 09:15:50 PM »
My 4 year old smartphone wasn't working properly and I started thinking about having to buy a new one. Whatever I did', it was complaining about lack of memory. Deleting files didn't help. Then I found out it was using 4,5 GB in temporary data from apps. I used the button to delete the temporary data. Now it works fine again.

What did you do to delete the temporary app data? I spent over an hour last night trying to back up my iphone, but there wasn't enough space. I deleted a lot of pictures and some unnecessary apps, but I'd like to try what you did.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #974 on: September 27, 2018, 02:29:09 AM »

What did you do to delete the temporary app data? I spent over an hour last night trying to back up my iphone, but there wasn't enough space. I deleted a lot of pictures and some unnecessary apps, but I'd like to try what you did.

My phone has norwegian language, so I'll need to take a guess at what the functions are called in English. Try to find a synonym if it isn't there.
Samsung Galaxy S4 Active
Android
Settings, More, Storage/Memory.
Here I have a overview of use system memory, used storage space, intermediate/temporary data, various files.
I clicked on intermediate/temporary data and got the question whether I wanted to delete them. That did the trick.

coldestcat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #975 on: September 27, 2018, 10:50:11 AM »
I went to a zero waste class yesterday and my wife was one of the speakers at the event. It was interesting seeing so many people who try to live with reduced waste production all in one place.

okcisok

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #976 on: September 28, 2018, 08:24:15 PM »

Thank you! I was able to get some unneeded items off my phone

My phone has norwegian language, so I'll need to take a guess at what the functions are called in English. Try to find a synonym if it isn't there.
Samsung Galaxy S4 Active
Android
Settings, More, Storage/Memory.
Here I have a overview of use system memory, used storage space, intermediate/temporary data, various files.
I clicked on intermediate/temporary data and got the question whether I wanted to delete them. That did the trick.

BuildingFrugalHabits

• Stubble
  • Living the dream
« Reply #977 on: September 29, 2018, 03:01:16 PM »

I just find that some hand dryers make so much noise that I don't tolerate them. Then I rather shake my hands off and wipe the rest off on my t-shirt.

Amen! There's a business opportunity for someone to create a sanitary zero waste, silent or low noise dryer!

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #978 on: September 29, 2018, 03:33:16 PM »

I just find that some hand dryers make so much noise that I don't tolerate them. Then I rather shake my hands off and wipe the rest off on my t-shirt.

Amen! There's a business opportunity for someone to create a sanitary zero waste, silent or low noise dryer!

This is true and it is a valid concern.  In the 'old days' dryers spat out from a large orifice with hot air.  It was a somewhat satisfying experience.  Today they do not heat the air but they are working hard to make them quieter.  The dryer that seems to be leading the charge is called the Dyson V-blade.  It's just gone from 80 dB to 79 dB which is a significant drop in the noise pollution because it's a logarithmic scale. 

There is no zero energy solution, just ones that use less ;) 

okcisok

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #979 on: September 29, 2018, 08:05:59 PM »
Knew I had to drive to a birthday party across town today. (Very frugal fun with homemade potluck and decade-old swingset:).Last night I made The Grand List of Errands so that I'd go in a continuous loop and not waste gas driving. I got some weekly things crossed off the list, and something I'd been meaning to get off the list for a few months. It took a while, but I came home with groceries and a sense of accomplishment.

Plus I brought my own bags to the store :)

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #980 on: September 30, 2018, 12:08:30 PM »

My grocery store just started selling those mesh bags! Previously there was some resistance if you weren't using plastic bags at the checkout, but I assume that now they sell them, the checkout girls will have to adopt this new policy and stop complaining.

I patched a sheet that had a hole in it (from used fabric) and also line-dried my laundry. Probably one of the last weeks of the year the laundry will dry properly outside. Autumn is pretty rainy where I live. In the middle of the winter when it's dry and cold, it starts to get easier to line dry again.

I cooked a vegan meal today - butternut squash, zucchini, spinach, olive oil and pasta.

We have resisted turning on the heating so far, although it's getting colder and colder inside. I did some laundry and used the oven, which helped a bit. As it will be quite cold the next couple of days, I'm afraid we're not going to be able to hold out much longer. It's around 17.5 -18 C (63-64F) in the living room during the day, but the bedrooms are colder.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?
« Reply #981 on: October 01, 2018, 02:10:46 AM »
I am using my refillable fountain pen (rather than a disposable plastic-barrel ballpoint pen) to take notes at a two-week sustainability course.

Collecting seed (with permission) from the resource center I’m visiting for my gardens and neighbors at home.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #982 on: October 01, 2018, 04:32:26 AM »

What about the old fashion cloth towel? If everybody washes his/her hands well enough, it shouldn't be too unhygienic. But I guess in this case, I would also dry my hands on the air and my shirt.

BuffaloStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #983 on: October 05, 2018, 02:04:19 PM »

What about the old fashion cloth towel? If everybody washes his/her hands well enough, it shouldn't be too unhygienic. But I guess in this case, I would also dry my hands on the air and my shirt.

I doubt they are very hygenic, but the old-school towel-loop dryers seem to still exist: http://www.darmanco.com/endura2/

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #984 on: October 05, 2018, 02:37:09 PM »
Why wouldn't that be hygenic?

Latestarter73

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #985 on: October 06, 2018, 12:02:07 PM »
I sold my BMW M3 today! I have been trialling using the train to get to work over the last few weeks (involves 3.5 miles of walking per day) and even with the cramped, expensive and unreliable train network in Manchester I'm finding myself really positive about it.

dashuk

• Stubble
« Reply #986 on: October 07, 2018, 03:18:43 AM »
Managed to bring home all the component parts of an IKEA Kura kids' mid-sleeper bunk bed that some friends were giving away in our double kids' bike trailer rather than drive the car somewhere that's only a few streets away.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #987 on: October 07, 2018, 08:58:03 PM »
We visited the farmers market on Saturday. The food looked amazing, so we're doing our grocery shopping there next week. Supporting local growers and local patisserie and bakers (bought breakfast there, yum!)

We've also been doing our midweek shopping by for at the local shop.

Got a dishwasher so we'll bulk cook and make less food waste and eat out less. Really loving it.

dashuk

• Stubble
« Reply #988 on: October 09, 2018, 07:22:07 AM »
Managed to bring home all the component parts of an IKEA Kura kids' mid-sleeper bunk bed that some friends were giving away in our double kids' bike trailer rather than drive the car somewhere that's only a few streets away.

Follow up...

Friends had bought bed second-hand for their child. Wanted to paint it as it looked a bit tired and was going into a newly decorated bedroom. Unfortunately when they tried the paint reacted with the original varnish. At this point, with a load of other home renovation stuff going on they decided to give up and sourced a different bed.

Yesterday I sat down for a couple of hours and sanded back all the affected bits. Is probably now shabbier than before they tried to paint it, but our aesthetic standards for kids furniture are... not that high.

Upshot, we will (when I actually put it together) have gained a piece of furniture which we will use for several years, and which helps solve the question of sticking two kids into one room once #2 gets a bit bigger, from someone else's junk, without anything else being manufactured and without burning any fuel to get it to our house.

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #989 on: October 13, 2018, 11:48:32 PM »
Jumping in here because I want to get some ideas to do more after the upsetting climate reports lately. :-/

This week: refused bags a couple of times when buying something at the drugstore. Didn't buy meat at the grocery store and decided to do a big vegan batch cook instead, with black beans I already had in the cupboard. 100% public transit/walking and suggested to friends not to share a taxi but take the subway with me instead since we were all going the same way.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #990 on: October 14, 2018, 01:39:27 AM »
Brought a vegan dish to a potlock dinner with friends. None of us is a real vegetarian or vegan, but only 1 out of the 3 main dishes contained meat/dairy!

OtherJen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #991 on: October 14, 2018, 05:39:32 AM »
We haven't turned on our furnace, despite frost advisories the past couple of nights. Hopefully, husband will tolerate extra layers and blankets for a bit longer because once the furnace is on, it will be on for at least 6 months.

BuildingFrugalHabits

• Stubble
  • Living the dream
« Reply #992 on: October 14, 2018, 10:07:07 AM »
Why wouldn't that be hygenic?

In an ideal world it could work but in a public restroom setting I have my doubts about hygene and I don't really trust the old school loop things either.  Maybe they are fine but I'd prefer to shake my hands off and let them dry naturally.  I'm trying to do that vs taking paper towels every time. 

Edit: I've seen a few places that have individual small towels that you use and throw in a basket to be washed.  Even with single-use washing, that has to be way greener than disposable paper towels right? 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 10:16:52 AM by BuildingFrugalHabits »

BuildingFrugalHabits

• Stubble
  • Living the dream
« Reply #993 on: October 14, 2018, 10:11:21 AM »
You guys rock.  I keep coming back to this thread for inspiration.  This is going to be a tough pill to swallow but I am embarking on a personal challenge to avoid discretionary airplane trips.  I'm also eating less meat.  I hope we figure out a carbon neutral mode of air travel soon because there are lots of places I'd like to see.  Maybe sailing is an option instead of flying. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #994 on: October 14, 2018, 10:16:06 AM »
Today while cleaning the bathroom with my trusty old rag and vinegar/water mixture I realized that it has been years since I've purchased any other chemical cleaning product for use around the house.

Ducknald Don

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #995 on: October 14, 2018, 10:23:08 AM »
I hope we figure out a carbon neutral mode of air travel soon because there are lots of places I'd like to see. 

I'd guess air travel is the technology least likely to be made carbon neutral.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #996 on: October 14, 2018, 10:31:18 AM »
I hope we figure out a carbon neutral mode of air travel soon because there are lots of places I'd like to see. 

I'd guess air travel is the technology least likely to be made carbon neutral.

Unless governments would wake up and finally start taxing kerosine. It's still baffling me that air travel doesn't pay VAT tax and that kerosine is tax-free too. For me a flight to the other side of Europe is cheaper than the train to get to the airport...

@BuildingFrugalHabits great job on making changes re less meat and air travel. I know how tough the air travel one can be. But if you're on the way to FIRE there's many ways to slow travel, which requires less to no air travel (depending on places). Also don't forget how many amazing spots there might be nearby your place that can be reached by car/train/bus/bike. Many people are so busy crossing of the "big things" that they forget the amazing stuff around them.

gatortator

• Stubble
« Reply #997 on: October 14, 2018, 11:07:01 AM »
we went to the harvest festival for the end of our CSA(community supported agriculture) season.

In recent years,  there has been a hand cranked apple press that makes fresh cider from the apples the kids pick from the trees.  My kids spend the entire party (3+hrs) climbing trees, picking apples and drinking cider.  In true community spirit, the older kids watch out for the younger kids.  This year was the first year my kids have been considered in the older kids-- it was amazing to watch the transition from younger to older.  I am grateful they get to have this childhood memory.  The head CSA farmer is moving on to other projects next year and I am already becoming nostalgic that this was our last harvest festival with this group.

Almost everyone brings their own dishes, utensils and cups to the festival as well as a vegetarian dish to pass. 
« Last Edit: Today at 08:50:32 AM by gatortator »

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #998 on: October 14, 2018, 01:14:58 PM »
I put air in my tires because the sudden cold snap made my TPMS low pressure light come on.

mies

• Bristles
« Reply #999 on: October 14, 2018, 04:20:44 PM »
I put air in my tires because the sudden cold snap made my TPMS low pressure light come on.

I did the same thing yesterday morning. I check mine every two weeks. Not only does it help with your fuel economy, it helps with ride, handling, and ensuring you get as much life out of your tires as possible.

I also check my spare tire pressure too. A couple of years ago when I had to put the spare tire on my wife's car after she picked up a screw, the spare was almost as low as the damaged tire. The spare was at 20psi when it was supposed to be at 60psi. I don't think anyone had checked the spare tire pressure and it was 4.5 years old at that point.

My public safety announcement is over :)