Author Topic: What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?  (Read 568472 times)

Imma

• Magnum Stache
Re: What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?
« Reply #800 on: June 18, 2018, 12:19:58 PM »
Okay friends: has anyone successfully used a non-glyphosate method to kill oxalis? I've been researching and it looks like pulling the weeds makes it spread even faster; there are varying accounts of how successful the boiling water method is. I like the concept of snipping off all leaves on all plants as soon as you see them, but that's also very labour intensive and requires a level of vigilance I may or may not possess. But if someone tells me it definitely works, I'll try it!
I've heard a tiny gardening flamethrower thing can work on weeds. If someone confirms that would work, can I use you as an excuse to purchase one? :P

Ooooh I did notice that Diggers sells those. I wonder if they'd ship it to Perth... Also useful when the Triffids rise.

I have a weed problem in the garden too and I was told about those mini flamethrowers as well. I have been too scared to try them, if you decide to try it please let me know how it went. It's not extremely dry around here, but the weeds are close to my house and I can already see myself accidentally setting my house on fire....

we have one of those at the commercial greenhouse where I work, and you'd be amazed how much heat it takes to kill a weed (though useful to incinerate all those seeds oxalis throws off). Have you tried vinegar w/ a few drops of dish soap as a spreader? This burns off the foliage quite well (especially in full sun; you'll see results faster than w/ glyphosate); it doesn't kill the root, but if you do successive sprays the root will die due to lack of food from the foliage.

I can confirm it doesn't work for Japanse knotweed. I wouldn't be surprised if that stuff doesn't even catch fire. I'm sure the roots would not be damaged, but if I could only burn off the parts above ground at least I wouldn't have to weed for about a week.

Chelidonium en nettles etc we just mow every now and then.

Duchess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #801 on: June 18, 2018, 12:33:02 PM »
Ooh, I like this thread! Can’t believe I only just found it.

Taking the slowly, slowly approach to living a more environmentally-minded life. Today I:

- Remembered to take stainless steel straws for my toddler to use for her drink at the cafe.

- Used bar soap rather than shower gel packaged in plastic. If only I could get my husband on board. Thankfully a small zero waste store opened in a nearby city and they’ve started stocking bulk shower gel.

- Have got the whole family using bamboo toothbrushes.

- Found a second-hand Le Partfait canning jar at the charity shop (aka thrift shop/op shop). This will help with plastic-free purchases.

- Found a second-hand skirt for my little one at the charity shop.

- Arranged a play date within walking distance of home reducing the need to get in the car.

- Took a fancy dress that no longer fits to a dress agency to be sold.

- Inspired by this thread, used a bucket to collect the water from warming up the shower and used it to water the veggie patch.

- Also inspired by this thread, increased the variety of things added to the compost heap.

- Continued to use my second-hand iPhone 5s rather than continually upgrading to the newest model.

Unfortunately also had a couple of fails:

- Tried to turn a ripped pair of jeans into demin shorts but they’re far too snug around the thigh area to look presentable. Having borrowed a friend’s overlocker (aka serger), I might salvage the fabric and make some bags to use at the bulk store.

- Tried to use eco-friendly laundry detergent from the zero waste shop but it did not do a decent enough job of getting our clothes clean. Maybe it’s our European front-loading energy-efficient washing machine?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #802 on: June 18, 2018, 12:45:12 PM »
Oh! I forgot one I was happy about, because it's: helping a friend, frugal, AND lessening environmental impact. Friend has been slowly transitioning to glass reusable tupperware type container. Her old plastic ones are stained, cracking, and she doesn't use them because she hates them. I'm 100% sure they contribute to her cooking less. She's been buying the new glass ones one at a time for ELEVEN DOLLARS apiece at the grocery store. Gasp! So I directed her to a few store options and gave her some coupons. We were able to get our whole set for $24 and there's a lot of pieces, so I'm hoping she can score a similar deal.

-Continuing my dairy experiments. Round 2 today. Trying the same cottage cheese recipe, with better planning and technique. We saved cottage cheese tubs and sour cream tubs, so we even have correctly labeled containers =P

-My usual stuff: open/close up house overnight to minimize HVAC use. Gardening, never use any sprays or anything. Used my reusable glass jar collection (many saved from pasta sauces) to divvy up rice we bulk purchase. The food we're getting our dog on buys carbon offsets, locally sources ingredients, uses ethically compensated domestic labor, etc. (I know those are not all environmental factors, but it all matters to me).

-Reusing a ton of items for the puppy from our previous dog, and hand me downs from neighbors and family. We've only purchased a couple items (the puppy kong has helped a lot), otherwise it's only been food and natural chews. Harness, crate, exercise pen, baby gates, dog beds, bowls, all of it is reused and/or hand me downs.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #803 on: June 22, 2018, 12:19:44 AM »
For the first time this week, walked to work again and will walk back in the afternoon.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #804 on: June 22, 2018, 12:29:49 AM »
Felt cold last night in bed. Put on socks rather than turning on heat for a bit.

Ate leftover sandwiches from a meeting at work yesterday (Free food! No food waste!)

greengardens

• Stubble
« Reply #805 on: June 23, 2018, 02:42:15 PM »
@Bracken_Joy I would caution against the homemade detergent in HE front loaders. I used to make my own detergent and it worked really well in my standard washer. However when I switched to an HE front loader the homemade stuff would not get my clothes clean. I tried everything, even playing around with the formula. I also noticed that it would build up inside my washer so that I'd start having soap scum in the drum. We don't have hard water, and I spent several months trying to troubleshoot both problems. After 6 months of unclean clothes I broke down and started using County Save powder detergent. It can only be purchased online and is definitely more expensive than making my own, but it comes in a cardboard box (can be recycled) and my clothes are finally clean! Plus no build up in the washer drum any more.

Mon€yp€nny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #806 on: June 23, 2018, 04:35:14 PM »
Clean up my 5yr old's room and sorted everything she didn't want anymore into plastics,  paper, donation, thrift store, sell and 'rest garbage'.
As from next year, we won't have a rest garbage bin anymore. We will have a paper bin, plastics bin and a compost bin that will be emptied but everything else, we will have to bring to an underground waste bin hopefully somewhere not too far away.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #807 on: June 24, 2018, 09:11:19 AM »
@Bracken_Joy I would caution against the homemade detergent in HE front loaders. I used to make my own detergent and it worked really well in my standard washer. However when I switched to an HE front loader the homemade stuff would not get my clothes clean. I tried everything, even playing around with the formula. I also noticed that it would build up inside my washer so that I'd start having soap scum in the drum. We don't have hard water, and I spent several months trying to troubleshoot both problems. After 6 months of unclean clothes I broke down and started using County Save powder detergent. It can only be purchased online and is definitely more expensive than making my own, but it comes in a cardboard box (can be recycled) and my clothes are finally clean! Plus no build up in the washer drum any more.

Good to know! Thank you! Yeah, our washer is pretty new (~1 yr), I would hate to do something that could shorter it's lifespan.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #808 on: June 24, 2018, 09:39:36 AM »

Good to know! Thank you! Yeah, our washer is pretty new (~1 yr), I would hate to do something that could shorter it's lifespan.

It probably depends on the water and washing machine. I've used homemade detergent (1/2+1/2+soap bar) for the life of our 5 year old HE front loader (Samsung) and it's going strong and clothes get clean. The "cold" setting comes out around 90F during the summer so that could be a factor too.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #809 on: June 24, 2018, 10:03:59 AM »

It probably depends on the water and washing machine. I've used homemade detergent (1/2+1/2+soap bar) for the life of our 5 year old HE front loader (Samsung) and it's going strong and clothes get clean. The "cold" setting comes out around 90F during the summer so that could be a factor too.

=o Our cold setting is 45-55F depending on the time of year! We have COLD ground water. I really haven't had luck with powdered detergents in general, I wonder if that's part of it? My washer has 4 settings: cold, cool, warm, hot. We usually use cool, since there's a noticeable difference between cold and cool. I wonder if that's because of how cold our groundwater is?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #810 on: June 25, 2018, 01:02:38 AM »
Walked to work this morning and will walk back in the afternoon.

I checked my washing machine, which as environmental feedback. I usually was on 40C, shortening the 2,5 hour program into 1 hour. I checked whether the original long program was better than the shorter one. The washing machine shows amount of energy and water rounded off to a number of blocks in a bar.

Conclusion: It makes no difference in energy whether I would wash on 40C or 60C degrees or whether I use the long or the short program. But the machine used less water when I use the short program and when I wash on 40C instead of 60C. If I would wash on 30C, the machine would use even less water. I don't have much faith in 30C getting my laundry clean, from earlier experiences.
I'll continue to wash on 40C short program, which is more convenient than waiting for 2,5 hours. And it doesn't seem to have negative impact on the energy compared to the standard programs.

Also, I have had the habit of drying the laundry outside since the weather turned warm and sunny, about 2 months ago. I think I might be the only one in the neighbourhood doing that.

Yesterday we had self-caught fish (grayling) for dinner.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #811 on: June 25, 2018, 02:36:45 AM »
I didn't shower yesterday, just washed myself at the tap! I have sensitive skin so I try to skip showering when I can + it's better for the environment as well.

I decluttered the house this weekend and recycled a large box of paper and cardboard and two large garbage bags of clothing and textile. I also found a dress with a damaged top, that I'm going to turn into a skirt. I found some old jeans that I put aside to turn into a jeans quilt. I've made jeans quilts before, it's one of my favourite materials to work with. I moved some furniture and stuff around so I now have a place where I can permanently set up my sewing machine. This means I will probably sew more often.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #812 on: June 25, 2018, 02:52:58 AM »
I took the bus to & from work. I brought my own snacks. My leafy greens are growing steadily and I have stopped buying lettuce (but not spinach just yet) as I wait for them to be big enough to start picking. It's winter so we aren't eating too much fresh greens right now anyway.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #813 on: June 26, 2018, 05:49:22 AM »
I bought small metal thermoses for my kids last year for them to bring lunches to summer camp.  During the year, they eat school provided lunches.  They've been at summer camp for a couple of weeks and so far they've brought their lunch every day in their thermoses.  This morning I made them pasta with pesto and then packed cookies and fruit in reusable sandwich bags.  They also brought reusable water bottles.  So much better than putting the pasta in plastic containers and they stay hot.

This is both mustachian and good for the environment.  The lunches cost 5 euros a day per kid so 10 euros a day.  And my kids actually prefer the home made lunches.

saving_dutchman

• Stubble
« Reply #814 on: June 26, 2018, 06:26:08 AM »
I repaired my broken wireless mouse (work mouse). It was maybe a 10 minute fix and that includes writing this. The usual route is to just order a new one, it's only company money right and screw the environment...

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #815 on: June 26, 2018, 07:18:54 AM »
Tomorrow, when it is raining and many people decide to drive to work, I'll be taking the bus in my raincoat. We'll be eating leftovers for lunch. I've been making overnight oats in jam jars I saved and washed (although it does mean I ate a lot of jam to get them!) This has meant my husband has been eating a decent breakfast every single hole day, instead of only occasionally. That means less muffins & coffees bought out, so less wasted packaging and better lunch decisions!

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #816 on: June 26, 2018, 09:56:09 AM »
I had to drop someone at the airport, which is 75% of the way to a city we don't go to often but has the nearest recycling center that accepts glass and a supermarket with bulk bins. I took all the glass that we've been saving, and stopped to get bulk peanut butter and oats.

I also bought some stainless steel straws while we were there - the glass ones we have are fine for home but I'm more comfortable carrying stainless around in my bag.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #817 on: June 27, 2018, 02:53:04 AM »
I had to drop someone at the airport, which is 75% of the way to a city we don't go to often but has the nearest recycling center that accepts glass and a supermarket with bulk bins. I took all the glass that we've been saving, and stopped to get bulk peanut butter and oats.

I also bought some stainless steel straws while we were there - the glass ones we have are fine for home but I'm more comfortable carrying stainless around in my bag.

What a pity that recycling glass is not easier for you. We used to have glass/metal containers several places in each town. Now we have gotten individual containers. The easier it is to recycle, the more people do it. Maybe you should ask your community to make an additional recycling point closer to your home.

I walked to work today.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #818 on: June 27, 2018, 04:56:19 AM »

What a pity that recycling glass is not easier for you. We used to have glass/metal containers several places in each town. Now we have gotten individual containers. The easier it is to recycle, the more people do it. Maybe you should ask your community to make an additional recycling point closer to your home.

I walked to work today.

My understanding is that the recycling options are limited here because they are not cost effective, for whatever reason. The trash service in our county does offer recycling, but the number of items they accept is limited. It is a fairly rural area and appears to have a high proportion of people who are not terribly environmentally conscious, which is a shame.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #819 on: June 27, 2018, 05:47:12 AM »
Our state has banned single-use plastic bags. I'm afraid to say, it took this actually happening to make us get our arses into gear about sorting out our shopping bags and produce bags... which we already owned. Sigh. So, grocery shopping this week will involve re-usable bags, yay!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #820 on: June 27, 2018, 08:40:14 AM »
Our state has banned single-use plastic bags. I'm afraid to say, it took this actually happening to make us get our arses into gear about sorting out our shopping bags and produce bags... which we already owned. Sigh. So, grocery shopping this week will involve re-usable bags, yay!

How do you deal with tare weight on reusable produce bags? When I did jars, I just marked the weight on the outside of the container and they used that. Is it the same idea with produce bags?

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #821 on: June 27, 2018, 04:23:19 PM »

How do you deal with tare weight on reusable produce bags? When I did jars, I just marked the weight on the outside of the container and they used that. Is it the same idea with produce bags?

My produce bags weight a few grams so I just don't worry about the tare. When buying fruit & veg it shouldn't make too much difference. To be honest I usually forget them anyway and just have loose veg in my trolley (and skip the green beans!)

Phryne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #822 on: June 28, 2018, 04:03:57 AM »
- eaten veg heavy meals this week cause our veggie box (local produce from within 40kms!) was enormous!
- waited till yesterday for the green grocer to be open for eggs, yoghurt & fruit from local small farmers rather than shop at the more generic supermarket. Used my produce bags (Onya brand, label says they weigh <10gm)
- made kindling from some left over weatherboard from a neighbour (saved buying it in plastic and the wood from going to landfill)

Big deal:
- Our solar panels were installed today! A friend said they have the double bonus of further insulating the roof. Hopefully they’ll also help keep heat *in* the house, because the forecast is 9°C and rainy the next two days :-(

Mon€yp€nny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #823 on: June 28, 2018, 03:14:41 PM »
- hung dried laundry
- another room clean up/ sorting with just two old pepermints going to grey trash, everything else will be recycled in some way.
- we ate vegan and husband didn't complain. Only food waste this week were peels and ends.
- planning to buy next week's vegetables, eggs and yoghurt at the organic farm again, it's a couple of minutes from my home (we shopped at supermarkets to save time for a while).

Meowkins

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #824 on: June 28, 2018, 06:18:05 PM »
I dunno if this counts, but apparently my the moron my gov't place to head our environmental agency is proposing rollbacks of the law that requires public input and transparency on projects that affect the environment.

So I left a comment. There are only 24 comments now and they close on 7/20, so if you guys wanted to drop some comments in, that would be an easy lift: https://www.southernenvironment.org/news-and-press/news-feed/speak-up-for-the-right-to-speak-up

You can basically check the current comments and crib off them. Saying that NEPA is fine the way it is and doesn't need updating, because it's protected us for decades, is probably just fine.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #825 on: June 29, 2018, 04:18:48 AM »
I dunno if this counts, but apparently my the moron my gov't place to head our environmental agency is proposing rollbacks of the law that requires public input and transparency on projects that affect the environment.

So I left a comment. There are only 24 comments now and they close on 7/20, so if you guys wanted to drop some comments in, that would be an easy lift: https://www.southernenvironment.org/news-and-press/news-feed/speak-up-for-the-right-to-speak-up

You can basically check the current comments and crib off them. Saying that NEPA is fine the way it is and doesn't need updating, because it's protected us for decades, is probably just fine.
do I have to be American?

Meowkins

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #826 on: June 29, 2018, 08:19:52 AM »
@Anatidae V I honestly don't know! Thank you for considering commenting though. I mean I doubt it will hurt. LOL.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #827 on: July 09, 2018, 04:38:39 AM »
While I was at my parents house over the weekend, I found a bunch of old expired food. Like the 2 to 15 years past it’s sell by date. My mom wanted to toss it in the garbage, but I took it home and composted it instead. I recycled as much of the packaging as possible.

They buy way too much food for two people. I really wish they would stop shopping at Costco. They aren’t saving any money because they are so disorganized and cluttered. They buy something, use some of it, and then it gets buried in clutter. They can’t find it when they need it, buy more, then the old items sit in the basement until I find it and bring it to there attention. It’s a horrendous waste of food and money.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #828 on: July 09, 2018, 05:24:49 PM »
I took some of my produce bags and put them by the reusable shopping bags so the Boy will hopefully find and take them when he goes shopping. He wants to reuse the produce bags but lacks the habit.

I used up previously frozen milk. (I have trouble using up a whole gallon so I freeze some so it doesn't go to waste.)

Yesterday the Boy made an extra stop (on his way) in his hybrid car at Sprouts so he could buy the milk in the reusable carton. I will take credit for this since he learned about it from me!

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #829 on: July 10, 2018, 04:13:42 AM »
Drove a little slower to work this morning, averaged 81mpg.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #830 on: July 10, 2018, 08:53:07 AM »

That's sweet @Ecky -- What are you driving?

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #831 on: July 10, 2018, 04:16:19 PM »
I remembered to bring a cloth napkin to work and use it!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #832 on: July 10, 2018, 11:53:16 PM »
* Cargo biked to the grocery store just now with reusable bags.

* Made rolled/old-fashioned oats at home from whole groats using a grain flaker we ordered a couple of years ago. Cuts down on packaging waste and probably saves money. (I make overnight oats with the whole groats, but prefer rolled oats for baking.)

* Shopped at the thrift store as usual instead of buying new household goods; picked up a popover pan for baking and a fruit basket for the table.

* Composted dryer lint, baby poop, Tub Shroom discards, food waste, solarized Bermuda grass runners, dustpan leavings.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #833 on: July 11, 2018, 06:17:47 AM »
Remembered to bring a ceramic coffee mug with me to work, because I'm at a different building than usual.  My desk has silverware, a coffee mug, a plate, and a nalgene, but I started my (6 am) work day at a different building and I usually end up with a styrofoam cup and feel like a dick about it.  Not enough of a dick to not drink coffee all day, though.

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #834 on: July 11, 2018, 07:05:35 AM »

That's sweet @Ecky -- What are you driving?

First generation Honda Insight. It's around 250k miles now with no maintenance other than regular (oil, tires).

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #835 on: July 11, 2018, 08:08:26 PM »
Packed the kids' lunches in mostly second-hand thrifted reusables: thermos containers and ice packs from Goodwill, vintage Revereware stainless-steel covered containers from eBay, cloth napkins from an estate sale. (The insulated bags and the plastic sporks were bought new.)

FrugalFisherman10

• Bristles
    • Fly Fishing Photo Project
« Reply #836 on: July 12, 2018, 08:22:02 AM »
haven't read the whole thread so these may have been mentioned somewhere already, but I saw them yesterday and thought they looked pretty 'revolutionary'. Seriously.

and most of the things like this I see as gimmicky "...We REINVENTED the Shish-kabob skewer!! BAM"...who cares? "this company is disrupting the coffee mug industry"...they're fine already, thanks.

But not these. They seem pretty legit. Not cheap though

https://www.shopetee.com/

What do yall think?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #837 on: July 14, 2018, 05:52:24 PM »
haven't read the whole thread so these may have been mentioned somewhere already, but I saw them yesterday and thought they looked pretty 'revolutionary'. Seriously.

and most of the things like this I see as gimmicky "...We REINVENTED the Shish-kabob skewer!! BAM"...who cares? "this company is disrupting the coffee mug industry"...they're fine already, thanks.

But not these. They seem pretty legit. Not cheap though

https://www.shopetee.com/

What do yall think?

They look like pretty standard beeswax wraps? Beeswax wraps are useful, lots of people like them for avoiding glad wrap (cling film).

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #838 on: July 14, 2018, 08:06:21 PM »
Bought some picture frames and quart sized mason jars at a yard sale today. The jars will be for canning applesauce this fall. I don’t have an immediate use for the frames but we have a lot of empty wall space so I’m sure they’ll get used.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #839 on: July 15, 2018, 07:36:35 AM »
Made fancy breakfast overnight oats jars with DH, and showed him how to make them. He added choc chips to his. This should reduce him buying breakfast (and associated rubbish)

We rearranged our shed to access our bikes, so we can fix them up and start riding again!

And I used my (mostly) wooden hairbrush. It seems to be nicer on my hair than plastic ones.

greengardens

• Stubble
« Reply #840 on: July 15, 2018, 01:43:31 PM »
Started using cloth diapers during the day on le bebe.

Ordered toilet paper made from 100% recycled paper that comes in plastic free packaging

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #841 on: July 15, 2018, 02:08:35 PM »
* Bike and transit to meet my mom for a cooking class on Friday.

* Brought reusable Lunchbots in a personal Coleman cooler to bring home leftovers.

* Cargo bike with the baby 2.5m each away to and from the farmer's market this morning.

* Brought reusable coffee mugs with us to the market.

* Line dried a load of laundry.

* Replaced lithium batteries in bike lights, fountain pen cartridge, and gasket from stovetop espresso maker, rather than replacing the whole gizmos.

* Been reading about how to find and prepare foraged foods in hopes of expanding our low-carbon, less-miles food sourcing. (I found a couple of morels earlier this year and it's currently purslane season.)

* Everybody except the baby and DH is currently using a bamboo-handle toothbrush.

Ordered toilet paper made from 100% recycled paper that comes in plastic free packaging

YES! This is all compostable too, so I often just stick the paper wrapper in the old tube and throw into our compost bin.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 02:17:06 PM by jengod »

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #842 on: July 15, 2018, 06:21:02 PM »
Today:
Using public transport and my legs to get me where I need to go.
Washing in cold water and line drying.
Vegan breakfast and vegan nearly vegan lunch (just remembered I put oyster sauce on the tofu!).
The baby is with his Grammy today, which means disposable nappies, but when he gets home he'll be back in cloth.
We hosted friends for lunch on Saturday, and they took it as a matter of course that we used cloth napkins. We've had a few people question the cloth napkins lately so it was a nice change not to have someone ask for paper instead.

Recently I was diagnosed with a borderline allergy to dairy (borderline as in not quite officially an allergy - for those familiar with the prick test for allergies the reaction was just under the size required for a diagnosis - but the immunologist said that it would definitely be affecting me and could possibly be the cause of some health issues I've been dealing with). A nice side effect of this is that I have finally broken my milky coffee habit, and am consuming considerably less dairy overall (not NONE, because I find I'm okay with a moderate volume of hard cheese or butter). This is a good thing - I have been wanting to cut down my dairy consumption for environmental and ethical reasons for a long time :-)

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #843 on: July 16, 2018, 06:22:00 AM »
Rode my bike to work, with my old helmet.  The whole inside of the padding was peeling off and the foam was leaving black schmutz all over my head, and when my husband saw it he was aghast that I hadn't already thrown it out and bought a new one.  Subsequently, I've used school glue to paste the lining back inside and the helmet is perfectly comfortable again :)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #844 on: July 16, 2018, 10:19:07 AM »
Rode my bike to work, with my old helmet.  The whole inside of the padding was peeling off and the foam was leaving black schmutz all over my head, and when my husband saw it he was aghast that I hadn't already thrown it out and bought a new one.  Subsequently, I've used school glue to paste the lining back inside and the helmet is perfectly comfortable again :)

Small word of caution . . . bike helmets do go bad, even if they haven't been crashed.  Most manufacturers recommend replacing them every three to five years.  I think that replacing every seven at the most is prudent.  If the padding on your helmet is just falling off, no real worries.  If you're helmet is from the 90s or something, it's probably a good idea to try out a new one.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #845 on: July 16, 2018, 10:23:42 AM »

Small word of caution . . . bike helmets do go bad, even if they haven't been crashed.  Most manufacturers recommend replacing them every three to five years.  I think that replacing every seven at the most is prudent.  If the padding on your helmet is just falling off, no real worries.  If you're helmet is from the 90s or something, it's probably a good idea to try out a new one.

It's pretty old, so I should probably get a new one.  Oh well.  At least I wasn't forced into doing it immediately and without research by the threat of black grime on my forehead at work :)

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #846 on: July 16, 2018, 10:39:43 AM »

That's good to know... glad I didn't listen to all the people here berating me for being unmustachian because I was replacing my 15-year-old-and-full-of-spiders helmet with a new one.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #847 on: July 16, 2018, 12:59:31 PM »
I guess this was actually last week--encouraged my boys to wash their hair with bar soap. My beloved does this and his hair is fine. I personally use shampoo and conditioner (2-3 times per week at least, not daily), but if the kids are happy with bar soap, think of the lifetime bottle savings!

If they were to ask for shampoo, I would probably buy it for them, but given how they seem to feel about soap in general, this seems highly unlikely.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #848 on: July 22, 2018, 06:05:35 PM »
Ordered a bulk supply of bamboo toothbrushes.
Researching more environmentally friendly cosmetics, from an online retailer who accepts returned packaging to recycle.
Using cloth pads.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #849 on: July 22, 2018, 07:06:22 PM »
I guess this was actually last week--encouraged my boys to wash their hair with bar soap. My beloved does this and his hair is fine. I personally use shampoo and conditioner (2-3 times per week at least, not daily), but if the kids are happy with bar soap, think of the lifetime bottle savings!

If they were to ask for shampoo, I would probably buy it for them, but given how they seem to feel about soap in general, this seems highly unlikely.

The co-op near me has byob(ottle) shampoo (and honey, and maple syrup, and vinegar, and peanut butter....)

It's really reduced the buying of new bottles.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!