Author Topic: What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?  (Read 568583 times)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
Re: What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?
« Reply #650 on: March 30, 2018, 10:32:23 PM »
I basically did nothing today besides run and read a book.  By doing nothing I feel like I did something for the environment.  That makes sense, right?

Yes! You didn't drive, or buy stupid consumer shit, or anything like that. It counts.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #651 on: March 31, 2018, 12:53:54 AM »
Hung out two loads of laundry to dry.

Peed in a bucket and fed it to my persimmon tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #652 on: April 01, 2018, 12:20:08 AM »
Easter Sunday here. We only purchased eggs and bunnies in foil (no plastic or plastic-coated cardboard boxes) so the packaging is 100% recyclable.

Thought ahead with Easter brunch so we had a plan for all the leftovers. I might be eating more bagels than usual, but nothing will be wasted.

Food scraps and cardboard and paper waste are going in the worm farm.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #653 on: April 01, 2018, 09:09:22 AM »
Took home the leftovers from Easter brunch at my grandma's. She was happy to get rid of them and I was happy to take them. Mostly veggies and some cold meats. We don't normally eat that, but eating it is better than throwing it away.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #654 on: April 01, 2018, 12:36:32 PM »
Hung two loads of laundry on the clothesline and one in the basement on the drying rack.
Walked to church this morning.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #655 on: April 01, 2018, 12:49:36 PM »
Took home the leftovers from Easter brunch at my grandma's. She was happy to get rid of them and I was happy to take them. Mostly veggies and some cold meats. We don't normally eat that, but eating it is better than throwing it away.

Oh, and also got a relative's thermos flask. They wanted to get rid of it because the cap is missing (not the lid). It's 0,5 liter sized so you can either drink straight from the flask or take any other unbreakable cup with you to drink from. Good enough for me.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #656 on: April 04, 2018, 03:26:49 PM »
Today we're combining (necessary) car trips to minimise fuel use.

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #657 on: April 04, 2018, 06:37:44 PM »
I am right now using my reusable coffee cup that I purchased last year.

I’ve only forgotten it once so far this year and caved in and bought coffee in a disposable cup. Better yet for my wallet too, I usually make my coffee at home and take it with me on my walk now.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #658 on: April 04, 2018, 06:51:02 PM »
Today we're combining (necessary) car trips to minimise fuel use.

I did this today too!

I also did not buy myself Starbucks as a treat after my doctor appointment because we had plans to go out for ice cream after dinner, then those got scrapped when toddler refused to eat his dinner. So no single use disposables today!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #659 on: April 05, 2018, 04:43:45 AM »
I bought some silverware at Goodwill and stuck it in the drawer in the break room at work.  Some people are using it, rather than the plastic forks and spoons they provide. 

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #660 on: April 05, 2018, 04:56:36 AM »
I really, really wanted to go for a drive to the shops for got chips. Instead I took baby to the library for sing-along time, then we went to the park after his nap, and I ate various junk food in the pantry instead. Both trips were walking in the pram. He got worn out and slept well, I still got my fix.

Also line drying washing, hubby took the bus to work and we're reusing the boxes from our recent house move by giving them back to my parents for when they move in a few months. Some of those boxes have been through 5+ people moving house now, we only bought a couple to help us move and the rest are very second-hand!

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #661 on: April 07, 2018, 12:14:56 AM »
Biking to work, grocery store and all activities within town. My goal is, except for emergency calls, not to drive for the next 6 months.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #662 on: April 07, 2018, 03:07:36 AM »
It's a bright and sunny Saturday morning in here. I'm going to dry laundry outside today and then go to the market on my bike to buy unwrapped fruit and vegetables and to refill my glass milk bottle. We don't drink milk a lot, but these days, when we use it we go to the market where a farmer fills my bottle straight from the tap. No extra waste and no middle man to take the farmer's profits.

Then I'm probably going to clean and do a bit of DIY in our bedroom. We have guests coming over next week and the room really needs a good spring clean.

Yasha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #663 on: April 09, 2018, 07:06:34 AM »
524 bottles returned this year.

Thanks for your inspiring number! I just cashed in my second $20 load of cans and bottles (in addition to some $1-$2 trips) so by my calculation (rough count of the coins in my 'can money' lunchbox) I've return-and-earned 520 cans/bottles. Woot woot! All this 'bonus money' is going to paying down a debt just a liiiittle faster.

I've also learned tonight that it is a little frightening to be a smallish young woman who looks a little hipster (short blue hair) cashing in cans on bin night on recycling fortnight with all the houso's screaming at each others for 'stealing' each others recycling O_O... I think I'll make sure to avoid Monday nights in the future and stick to a nice safe Saturday morning with all the Soccer Mums cashing in the team's waterbottles (legit saw someone pull up in a ute with the tray completely full of water bottles - who buys that much bottled water in a city with lovely free tap water???) purely for safety/scary reasons.

Other than that - ate vegetarian, composted coffeegrounds, dried laundry on the clothes horse outside, closed windows and blinds in the heat of the day, opened them in the evening, opened the dishwasher to air-dry instead of fan-dry, borrowed friend's car for half an hour to take the cans to the machine rather than owning a car (haven't had a car for almost three years now), caught the free bus to and from work.

SimplyFinanciallyFree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Blog: Simply Financially Free
« Reply #664 on: April 09, 2018, 07:52:07 AM »
Our office is extremely wasteful, with paper cups, plastic utensils, paper plates, etc.  I can't stand the waste so I have my own set of real utensils, water cup with lid, a travel mug, and a bowl that all live at my desk.  I also bring in a clean cloth napkin and dish towel every week to use during lunch.  People give my a strange look, especially with the napkin, but I just can't stand the extreme waste that I see daily. I am just trying to do my part.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #665 on: April 09, 2018, 07:57:00 AM »
I re-use my paper cup at work and also have my own mug (but it's super large so sometimes I still grab a paper one if I just want a single cup of tea).

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #666 on: April 09, 2018, 02:30:25 PM »
REPAIR:
* I fixed our stepstool by replacing four hex nuts that had been lost in the 40 years since it was manufactured.
* I sewed up a separated seam on one of our couch cushions.
* I sewed up a hole in the bottom of one of my reusable bags. It's very imperfect (darning, how does it work?) but it will do.

CONSERVE
* Watered houseplants with leftover drinking water, dishwater and melted ice cubes
* Peed in a bucket and fed it to the compost bin
* Routed some household greywater toward plants

ROT
* No green waste sent to the city again this week, all to to the compost bins or as top-dressing/mulch for the yard.

REDUCE
* The weekend was almost completely car-free. All trips were transit or walked, except our return from a date-night cooking class in an Uber.

RECYCLE
* Gave away our learning tower to another mom in our local Buy Nothing group. It has a fairly large footprint in our small-ish house, the big kids refuse to use it, and the little one is too small to help cook for a couple more years. Hopefully I'll be able to borrow it back in the future if I need one again.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #667 on: April 10, 2018, 06:02:53 AM »

* I sewed up a hole in the bottom of one of my reusable bags. It's very imperfect (darning, how does it work?) but it will do.

Are you using a machine or sewing by hand?

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #668 on: April 10, 2018, 06:21:07 AM »
I fixed some mittens that were wearing thin in the thumbs, and then decided to sew some more and made a lavender rice bag out of an old sock :) 

One of the pair wore through in the heel, but the socks are a super cute elephant pattern, so I wanted to keep them somehow.  It actually will work really well for neck aches, because it bends nicely to rest on your shoulders when you put it on your neck.  Unexpected benefit!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #669 on: April 11, 2018, 07:23:51 PM »
Normal things today:
Taking public transport.
Eating vegan and vegetarian bulk cooked meals.
Baby in cloth nappies.
Line drying laundry.

Unusual things today:
Going to pick up prescriptions from a pharmacy within walking distance to avoid driving.
Researched medical imaging chains to find one that had a location within walking distance of home. Also great because I never want to drive immediately after any kind of medical appointment.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #670 on: April 11, 2018, 07:51:46 PM »
Took a long soaking bath. Left water in tub. Put a small bucket between tub and toilet bowl (small bathroom, they are near each other) and will use buckets of water from the tub to flush the toilet until the water in the tub is gone.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #671 on: April 11, 2018, 09:33:09 PM »
Renovated my small solar water heater for the spring season by replacing the reflector. This is simply a cardboard box lined with aluminum foil. Place a pan of water in it and leave it in the sun. On bright days it reaches just short of boiling temp. Really cuts down on cooking time.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #672 on: April 12, 2018, 05:57:18 AM »
- Not eating animal products (not only today but every day)
- Biking to work
- Brought homemade vegan chocolate fairtrade treats to work for my colleagues
- Brought my outdoor cardigan to a tailor to get it fixed (needs a new zipper)
- Brought my lunch to work in a reusable bag

Drew0311

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #673 on: April 13, 2018, 06:58:33 AM »
All of my trips in town are by ebike. I have a utility trailer for groceries and larger stuff and I recharge the battery with solar panels.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #674 on: April 13, 2018, 03:14:05 PM »
I read a NYTimes article about a doctor who picked up almost $100/year from walking through the park. Inspiration!

You intrigued me. Looked it up. So cool.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/03/23/coin-drop

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #675 on: April 13, 2018, 10:13:51 PM »
Ended up having to buy some baby clothes new (got as many hand-me-downs as we could via Buy Nothing but did not strike gold; still had to acquire quite a few things in the next size for winter. No baby clothes at all in any of my local op shops!). We took reusable grocery bags to pack our purchases. I'm used to bringing my own bags for groceries but don't really think about it for "stuff" shopping (mostly because I just avoid shopping at all costs).

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #676 on: April 13, 2018, 10:29:35 PM »
Ended up having to buy some baby clothes new (got as many hand-me-downs as we could via Buy Nothing but did not strike gold; still had to acquire quite a few things in the next size for winter. No baby clothes at all in any of my local op shops!). We took reusable grocery bags to pack our purchases. I'm used to bringing my own bags for groceries but don't really think about it for "stuff" shopping (mostly because I just avoid shopping at all costs).

I tried to take some baby toys to Vinnie's as a favour for someone and they wouldn't have them. Cited hygiene. I wonder if it's put people off donating anything baby. They did take the clothes off me and some scruffy books, a bunch of CDs but turned their nose up at many useful bits. Got rid of it all on FB so it didn't go in the bin.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #677 on: April 13, 2018, 10:57:03 PM »

I tried to take some baby toys to Vinnie's as a favour for someone and they wouldn't have them. Cited hygiene. I wonder if it's put people off donating anything baby. They did take the clothes off me and some scruffy books, a bunch of CDs but turned their nose up at many useful bits. Got rid of it all on FB so it didn't go in the bin.

It makes me wonder what volume of baby clothing ends up in landfill :-(

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #678 on: April 14, 2018, 05:07:54 AM »

I wonder if this is just St. Vinnie's.   I could swear I have seen baby clothes at Goodwill?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #679 on: April 14, 2018, 05:12:38 AM »

I wonder if this is just St. Vinnie's.   I could swear I have seen baby clothes at Goodwill?

No Goodwill in my city / country.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #680 on: April 14, 2018, 05:57:34 AM »

No Goodwill in my city / country.

Got it!  I was interested when you mentioned Vinnie's, as I grew up with those in the midwest US.   But I have not seen any Vinnie's since I moved to the east coast . . . Regional thing I guess.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #681 on: April 15, 2018, 03:12:35 AM »
This is from a couple of days ago. We stayed in a cabin in a caravan park for the better part of a week on holidays. We made the mistake of grocery shopping while hungry and overestimated how much we’d actually cook.

Instead of throwing out a bag of veggies (or trying to transport it home in a hot cramped car over several days and it all going off), I put it all in a bag and went for a wander. Found a young family camping nearby and asked if they’d like our veggies.

They said yes and seemed very happy to have them! So I saved some food waste and hopefully saved a young family a few dollars.

Which reminds me: before we went away I managed to run down our perishables almost completely except for garlic. So our friend got a small bag of garlic with her birthday present the night before we left on our holiday.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #682 on: April 15, 2018, 12:29:18 PM »
We heard on TV that biologically degradable plastic bags often don't degrade in a composting bin. They need a lot of hest, which is only retrieved in a professional garbage factory.
We noticed that the bags in our compost bin don't degrade fast enough. When we take out the composted earth at the end of the season, there are still grey plastic strips. From now on we will thow away the green stuff without the bag. We placed a separate container for the bags beside the compost bin, so that it is easy to throw away the bag.
I fished a pile of half degraded plastic bags out of the top layer of compost.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #683 on: April 15, 2018, 10:52:36 PM »
* Brought reusable shopping bags and produce bags to grocery shop. Bought milk in reusable glass bottles.

* Drank the juice of a blood orange that we grew in our very own yard. The tree has taken years to produce any substantial fruit crop but it's pretty darn tasty.

* We have a outdoor faucet that drips. Placed one of our potted pineapples and a native tree under there to absorb the drips, and then put the watering can under to collect more from around the yard. I've noticed goldfinches perch on the watering can and drink the water!

* Watered herb bed with greywater runoff from sink/dishwasher/laundry.

* Collected and crushed wind-blown leaves for mulch.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 10:59:21 PM by jengod »

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #684 on: April 16, 2018, 03:20:10 AM »
Not from today, but we received the water bill today.

We did some DIY this winter and found a few small leaks in our pipes. We fixed them and now our water bill is 17% lower! That's only €5/month, but it's a lot of water saved. We have also installed a water saving toilet, so I hope to be able to reduce our bills even further in the future.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #685 on: April 16, 2018, 05:07:38 AM »
Not from today, but we received the water bill today.

We did some DIY this winter and found a few small leaks in our pipes. We fixed them and now our water bill is 17% lower! That's only €5/month, but it's a lot of water saved. We have also installed a water saving toilet, so I hope to be able to reduce our bills even further in the future.

That's great Imma!  Congrats!

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #686 on: April 16, 2018, 06:22:41 PM »
Yesterday DH and I bought some new clothes from a vintage/secondhand clothes shop.

He got a shirt that he should be able to wear to work and some cuff links (looked new and were about half the price of ones we’ve seen in department stores).

I got an A-line long wool jacket for winter (and if I end up not wearing it, DH is happy to have it). And I got a gorgeous waistcoat.

All of it was in as-new condition. Huzzah!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #687 on: April 17, 2018, 12:15:44 AM »
Walked to and from my brother's house instead of driving.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #688 on: April 17, 2018, 06:41:00 AM »
Used up overripe bananas and sour milk by making muffins. Greased the pan with butter instead of using liners.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #689 on: April 17, 2018, 12:27:43 PM »
Walked to the post office instead of adding distance to my work drive. Plus, bonus exercise!

JimLahey

• Stubble
« Reply #690 on: April 18, 2018, 11:31:01 PM »
I went fishing for a bit today but it was crazy windy. So I actually spent most of my time picking up trash around the area I was fishing. Ended up with a plastic grocery bag full mostly of beer cans and plastic liquor bottles. I once stumbled upon a geocache in the same area while picking up trash.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #691 on: April 19, 2018, 12:33:56 PM »
Went for a walk in the neighbourhood this evening, and yesterday, and picked up some garbage.

At work we have a perforator that worked really badly. I though I had to order a new one. But then I asked the janitor to grease it. Now it works fine again.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #692 on: April 19, 2018, 12:36:49 PM »
DH just had an operation in a hospital 1,5 hour driving from home. He is not allowed to drive home. I had planned to pick him up tomorrow. But he said he is feeling so well now that he is planning to take the train home.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #693 on: April 19, 2018, 12:49:23 PM »
DH just had an operation in a hospital 1,5 hour driving from home. He is not allowed to drive home. I had planned to pick him up tomorrow. But he said he is feeling so well now that he is planning to take the train home.

Did he have surgery for the heart issue you have discussed on here? I'm glad to hear he's feeling well now, I hope he's going to feel a lot better now.

It kind of sounds like he's planning to take the train on his own. I would check with the hospital if they're willing to let him go home alone. A few years back I had a (relatively minor) surgery that required an overnight stay. I was going to take the bus home the next day, but the hospital said I'd have to stay another night if I planned on travelling home alone. I also felt well, the bus ride was 45 minutes and the stop right in front of my house, but the hospital still wasn't comfortable with it. I guess legally they wouldn't have been able to force me to stay another night, but I called around and in the end found someone willing to give me a ride home. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #694 on: April 19, 2018, 01:18:11 PM »

Did he have surgery for the heart issue you have discussed on here? I'm glad to hear he's feeling well now, I hope he's going to feel a lot better now.

It kind of sounds like he's planning to take the train on his own. I would check with the hospital if they're willing to let him go home alone. A few years back I had a (relatively minor) surgery that required an overnight stay. I was going to take the bus home the next day, but the hospital said I'd have to stay another night if I planned on travelling home alone. I also felt well, the bus ride was 45 minutes and the stop right in front of my house, but the hospital still wasn't comfortable with it. I guess legally they wouldn't have been able to force me to stay another night, but I called around and in the end found someone willing to give me a ride home.

Yes, it is that heart surgery. I will warn him to ask the hospital explisitely. I don't feel like asking them behind his back.

whitewaterchica

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #695 on: April 19, 2018, 02:49:00 PM »
These comments are so enjoyable to read. I walk 5-6 days per week, taking various routes through my town. The last couple weeks I've starting picking up the misc garbage and recycling that tends to get blown out of cans on windy days.

Confirmed that my new office mate knows where the recycling cans are and emphasized that we are big in recycling (he throws his recycling in his trash can daily). The majority of us use reusable water bottles and coffee/tea mugs but he is a 10 cup of coffee, take a new paper cup each time, plus 3 plastic water bottles a day kind of a guy so I likely wasted my breath. Oh well.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #696 on: April 19, 2018, 03:19:33 PM »
That sucks. My new thing is to let people know that all the plastic they ever used still exists.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #697 on: April 19, 2018, 06:54:00 PM »
My new thing is to let people know that all the plastic they ever used still exists.

I needed to read this today - illness has lead to far more plastic usage (primarily food packaging) than usual for our household.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #698 on: April 19, 2018, 07:29:39 PM »
My new thing is to let people know that all the plastic they ever used still exists.

I needed to read this today - illness has lead to far more plastic usage (primarily food packaging) than usual for our household.

I think you get a pass right now. Single use stuff for sick, injured or disabled people, and for hospitals & clinics, is totally ok in my book! The rest of the developed world just needs to slow the fuck down and take a look.

eta: #slowthefuckdown - the slow movement with a bit more bite.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 07:31:30 PM by Fresh Bread »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #699 on: April 20, 2018, 01:11:15 AM »
These comments are so enjoyable to read. I walk 5-6 days per week, taking various routes through my town. The last couple weeks I've starting picking up the misc garbage and recycling that tends to get blown out of cans on windy days.

Confirmed that my new office mate knows where the recycling cans are and emphasized that we are big in recycling (he throws his recycling in his trash can daily). The majority of us use reusable water bottles and coffee/tea mugs but he is a 10 cup of coffee, take a new paper cup each time, plus 3 plastic water bottles a day kind of a guy so I likely wasted my breath. Oh well.

Our customers who visited our office the last few days, grabbed a paper cup and wrote their initials on it. And kept using the same cup the whole day. They are well trained. :-)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!