Author Topic: What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?  (Read 382213 times)

Ducknald Don

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Oxford, UK
Re: What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?
« Reply #1700 on: June 23, 2020, 08:23:06 AM »
Ate my 1030 lunch leftovers again at 1300.

Taking lessons from your cat?

Raenia

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1701 on: June 23, 2020, 02:28:33 PM »
Used the water from the dehumidifier to water my plants.  Going to try to make this a habit - it will save water, remind me to check/empty the dehumidifier every day, AND remind me to check/water the plants every day.  Triple win!

Frugal Lizard

• Magnum Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #1702 on: June 23, 2020, 03:16:23 PM »
Took my used printer cartridge to the post office to return it.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1703 on: June 25, 2020, 01:14:38 PM »
Ate the older, less-desirable leftover AND rode my bike to work, even though this meant that I had to only bring back some of my stuff.

Frugal Lizard

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1704 on: June 25, 2020, 01:55:20 PM »
Rode my bike to the dentist today.
Yesterday I walked to my haircut.

okcisok

• Bristles
« Reply #1705 on: June 28, 2020, 09:55:54 PM »
I've been going through my predecessor's files at work. I could've just dumped the whole closetful into the trash, BUT environmental reasons. Instead, I spent down time over the week going through each file, removing it from the folder, and making a 'reuse' pile and a 'recycle' pile.
I sorted out all the paper clips and folders and returned them to the office supply area for reuse by coworkers. The blank papers went in to the copier paper tray, and the confidential papers are going to the shredding/recycling service. I brought the cardboard boxes home and put them in my recycling bin. Now I've filled my personal printer with the pages that were only printed on one side. The only trash generated was laminated or otherwise non-recyclable items, instead of several boxes of trash.

Trifele

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1706 on: June 29, 2020, 04:26:55 AM »
I've been going through my predecessor's files at work. I could've just dumped the whole closetful into the trash, BUT environmental reasons. Instead, I spent down time over the week going through each file, removing it from the folder, and making a 'reuse' pile and a 'recycle' pile.
I sorted out all the paper clips and folders and returned them to the office supply area for reuse by coworkers. The blank papers went in to the copier paper tray, and the confidential papers are going to the shredding/recycling service. I brought the cardboard boxes home and put them in my recycling bin. Now I've filled my personal printer with the pages that were only printed on one side. The only trash generated was laminated or otherwise non-recyclable items, instead of several boxes of trash.

Great job @okcisok !

Frugal Lizard

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1707 on: July 02, 2020, 01:03:35 PM »
watered using the rain barrel collected water.
swept all the paint flakes off the driveway instead of letting them get washed into the storm drains.

BuffaloStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1708 on: July 07, 2020, 09:40:03 PM »
watered using the rain barrel collected water. ...

I'm interested in doing this as well- did you build your own rain barrel system? Where did you get your barrels?

ericbonabike

• Stubble
« Reply #1709 on: July 08, 2020, 09:14:12 AM »
I started using a 5 gallon bucket to catch the condensation from my AC.  It generates about 10 gallons a day ( i live in the Southeast).  This, plus another 5 gallon bucket I use to catch the water from my shower while I'm waiting for it to warm-up, is enough to water my garden every single day.

SheWhoWalksAtLunch

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1710 on: July 29, 2020, 08:16:24 AM »
I started using a 5 gallon bucket to catch the condensation from my AC.  It generates about 10 gallons a day ( i live in the Southeast).  This, plus another 5 gallon bucket I use to catch the water from my shower while I'm waiting for it to warm-up, is enough to water my garden every single day.

After reading your post (thank you for the motivation), I moved a 5 gallon bucket into the shower to catch my warm-up water.  I was pleasantly surprised to learn I waste less than I thought, delighted to know I was no longer wasting it regardless of quantity (it now goes to water the multitude of houseplants I own) and astonished to discover a few days later, that the DH was now saving his warm-up water as well without my having asked him too.  We're now putting the excess water (more than the houseplants can swallow) into the half full rain barrel where it gets used on the garden.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1711 on: July 29, 2020, 08:42:51 AM »

After reading your post (thank you for the motivation), I moved a 5 gallon bucket into the shower to catch my warm-up water.  I was pleasantly surprised to learn I waste less than I thought, delighted to know I was no longer wasting it regardless of quantity (it now goes to water the multitude of houseplants I own) and astonished to discover a few days later, that the DH was now saving his warm-up water as well without my having asked him too.  We're now putting the excess water (more than the houseplants can swallow) into the half full rain barrel where it gets used on the garden.

This is great! I just started using rainwater for toilet flushing (since the plants here don't need it in the rainy summer), and can grab the shower warm up water too.

Where did you get your barrels?

@BuffaloStache your city or county might have rain barrels available at reduced cost. I've bought Upcycle rainbarrels online from both Hayneedle and Walmart for $55 (this one: https://www.hayneedle.com/product/upcycle48galterracottarainbarrel.cfm).

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
  • Politics is the disease, not the cure.
« Reply #1712 on: August 02, 2020, 05:23:51 PM »

I guess I should get out a bucket.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #1713 on: August 03, 2020, 12:33:20 AM »
I installed about 40 square metres of insulation in our uninsulated house over the weekend.  Not a fun job as the ceiling space is no more than 2 feet high at the highest point.  I just bought another 40 square metres to do the bedrooms at the other end of the house.  It should make the house a lot warmer in our current winter, and reduce our need to air condition in summer.