Author Topic: What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?  (Read 568524 times)

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
Re: What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?
« Reply #1650 on: April 17, 2020, 05:53:50 AM »
I made a nearly vegetarian meal - and using a lot of the ingredients from last season's garden.  I have been storing potatoes, garlic and onions in the cold cellar.  The onion supply is exhausted but potatoes and garlic are still holding out.  Although both are trying to grow.  Somehow they know it is almost spring.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1651 on: April 17, 2020, 10:36:29 AM »
Foraging! Miner's lettuce and three cornered leek.

Miss Stachio

• Stubble
« Reply #1652 on: April 18, 2020, 08:45:33 AM »
Foraging is so fun! The chickweed is getting nice and juicy now too. Darned the heels of some nice fluffy wool socks and now they are good as new.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1653 on: April 21, 2020, 06:32:04 PM »
Stasher bags are having a 25% off sale on their website, so I decided to buy a few of their larger size bags. I've been using a few single-use plastic freezer bags recently because I'm trying to keep a bigger stockpile of food in the freezer in case I get sick, and I didn't have enough reusable containers for that plus my day-to-day use for leftovers etc. This should help a lot.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1654 on: April 24, 2020, 10:09:39 AM »
Stasher bags are having a 25% off sale on their website, so I decided to buy a few of their larger size bags. I've been using a few single-use plastic freezer bags recently because I'm trying to keep a bigger stockpile of food in the freezer in case I get sick, and I didn't have enough reusable containers for that plus my day-to-day use for leftovers etc. This should help a lot.

I don't see any sale pricing.  These seem cool and I do always feel bad about using ziploc bags.  But they are pricey, I might get them for 25% off what I'm seeing now but it would take a lot of uses for them to be cost effective based on current pricing. 

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1655 on: April 24, 2020, 10:56:33 AM »

I don't see any sale pricing.  These seem cool and I do always feel bad about using ziploc bags.  But they are pricey, I might get them for 25% off what I'm seeing now but it would take a lot of uses for them to be cost effective based on current pricing.

Yeah, the sale is over now. I think it was for Earth Day.

This thread isn't about money savings, it's about reducing your environmental impact. I didn't buy them with the expectation of making my money back - I bought them in the hope I would keep hundreds of plastic bags out of the landfill.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1656 on: April 24, 2020, 11:32:55 AM »

Yeah, the sale is over now. I think it was for Earth Day.

This thread isn't about money savings, it's about reducing your environmental impact. I didn't buy them with the expectation of making my money back - I bought them in the hope I would keep hundreds of plastic bags out of the landfill.

Understood, but there are so many free and cheap ways to reduce your environmental impact, so I tend to prioritize those pre-FIRE.   But I applaud your efforts and hopefully I can snag some next time there's a sale.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 11:53:51 AM by LWYRUP »

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1657 on: April 26, 2020, 08:04:07 PM »
Refashioned a shirt from the ragbag into a wearable shirt again. The larger scraps went back into the ragbag for another project. The tiny scraps and threads go to the compost pile, as they are 100% cotton.

Brought home another bag of leftover vegetables from work to turn into a delicious sauce or soup.

Picked up pinecones for a craft project using scrap paper and old candle wax--firestarters for the firepit where we burn the chopped-up Christmas tree branches and fallen tree limbs.  Googled campfire food and learned you can cook pizza on an open fire!

Cut open plastic packaging to use as dog poop picker-uppers.

Borrowed a book from a friend that I will return when I'm done with it instead of buying new.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1658 on: April 30, 2020, 02:30:34 PM »
I am knitting socks for myself. Hand-knitted socks are more comfortable and don't wear out as fast as machine-knitted socks and when they eventually do they are easier to mend. Plus most of my sock yarn was inherited.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1659 on: April 30, 2020, 06:22:16 PM »
Found a gimme tote bag in the hall closet. With some judicious cutting and minimal sewing, I now have an over-the-shoulder messenger bag. I had a metal snap in my notions stash, so didn't have to buy anything. I'll try it out next week on my first bike commute!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1660 on: May 07, 2020, 09:40:36 PM »
Last weekend my son wanted to paint his very small bedroom (it's not even eight by twelve). We did the whole thing with a single gallon of paint, even though Ace Hardware's Benjamin Moore machine was broken and we had gotten some awful store brand stuff. There was a tiny bit left over, which I have stored in an old jam jar in case we need to touch something up later.

Bonus: Also saved the $35 another gallon would have cost us!

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1661 on: May 08, 2020, 06:00:04 AM »
Last weekend my son wanted to paint his very small bedroom (it's not even eight by twelve). We did the whole thing with a single gallon of paint, even though Ace Hardware's Benjamin Moore machine was broken and we had gotten some awful store brand stuff. There was a tiny bit left over, which I have stored in an old jam jar in case we need to touch something up later.

Bonus: Also saved the $35 another gallon would have cost us!
I know it's expensive but I love Benjamin Moore paint. I've done a lot of painting and it definitely ranks at the top of my list in terms of quality. In fact I am painting the new doors and trim I am installing in our house with the Benjamin Moore Advance. Used it on our cabinets a few years ago and still going strong. Dries hard as a rock, extremely durable and is easy to wipe. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 08:00:50 AM by MasterStache »

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1662 on: May 08, 2020, 06:01:53 AM »
Hopped on the bike today and hauled some recycling up to the recycle containers a few miles away. It was a beautiful day as well.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1663 on: May 09, 2020, 12:05:07 PM »
After turning a bunch of lights off around the house (in the middle of the day, with blinds closed), I showed my bigger kids (6 and 4) a youtube video for kids about climate change.

I figured that was more effective than just hectoring them to turn out the lights.   

After the video, the kids agreed, because they like playing in the snow. 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 12:09:58 PM by LWYRUP »

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1664 on: May 09, 2020, 03:41:05 PM »
I planted a tree this morning. 

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #1665 on: May 16, 2020, 06:09:35 AM »
Used my wee wipes (so much softer and nicer than tp) and convinced a friend to make some too. Everyone else in our respective families is horrified and revolted, hahaha.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1666 on: May 17, 2020, 01:14:09 PM »
Brought back our road trip detritus instead of throwing it away at various gas stations or whatever. Most of it was recyclable or compostable.

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #1667 on: May 17, 2020, 05:52:04 PM »
Hung Mr. Z's overalls to dry, used up the last of the lentils and brown rice to make a vegetarian casserole recipe I found in the Tightwad Gazette. Using the ceiling fans and open windows to cool, trying to put off the use of the air conditioner as long as possible. Have only used the car twice a week since March, only on Monday and Friday when I have to go to the office for half a day. I keep an ongoing errand list so I can do whatever needs done on my way home from work.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1668 on: May 21, 2020, 08:40:28 AM »
a load of whites is on the line.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1669 on: May 21, 2020, 08:50:43 PM »
Used my wee wipes (so much softer and nicer than tp) and convinced a friend to make some too. Everyone else in our respective families is horrified and revolted, hahaha.

Read about wee wipes here yesterday, looked them up online, made some from scrap flannel last night and am now a convert.
Thank you @lazycow

I had read about these ages ago, but couldn't quite get there. With the crazy TP hoarding, I decided it was time. I had plenty of scrap flannel and thread. Whipped up a batch of two dozen, and it has really stretched my TP stash! I just toss them in the wash with other clothes. I figure it has lowered my TP use by 4x, at least.

Brought home more food scraps from work to make sauces with.

I'm quite proud of my little garden, made from formerly rock-hard clay 'flower beds' that were terribly neglected, full of weeds and a few surviving decorative shrubs. With some leaf mold, compost, and some seeds, I have flourishing little garden! Most of the plants are from my compost pile or seeds I'd saved from foods I like to eat. I bought the leaf mold and tools locally on FB, too.

Mended one of my SO's shirts, for the second time.

We had some obsolete materials at work that my boss told me to toss. I took them to our corporate office since I needed to go anyway, and tossed them into the shred/recycle bin instead of the trash. (No recycling for paper products at that particular jobsite, but there is a wide range of recycling at CO.) An entire copy paper box of old paper that will be reused instead of going to the landfill.

Went through my craft supplies and organized them better. Now I realize that I have a ton of supplies for one hobby that I've been neglecting, and used some cardboard packing materials to make a project for another hobby. It got my creative juices flowing for ways to use the stuff I have instead of getting more.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1670 on: May 21, 2020, 08:57:36 PM »
I made supports for my tomatoes and pole beans from bamboo sticks that a neighbor was throwing away after trimming their bamboo, plus a little cotton thread I already had.

Making sure to eat the loquats on the tree out front.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #1671 on: May 21, 2020, 09:12:41 PM »
Stopped burning natural gas for heating.  Our wood burning slow combustion heater was installed.  I'm sooooo happy.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1672 on: May 22, 2020, 06:02:15 AM »
Our additional insulation meant that we used 19% less natural gas in April 2020 than April 2019.  And it was colder.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1673 on: May 22, 2020, 09:11:44 AM »
I try to bring back one or two pieces of recyclable littler every time my husband and I are out walking, and put it in our recycling bin.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1674 on: May 23, 2020, 11:42:05 AM »
I have started a serious veggie patch for the first time this year. Most of the wood for the raised beds was reclaimed and I am using water from the rain barrel. So far things are going great!

I'm also spending more time than ever mending and altering clothing because I lost nearly 12 lbs since the start of the lockdown. Plus I fit into my old pair of jeans again so I don't have to buy a new one (I didn't have a pair that fit anymore, I wear skirts most of the time but I like to have at least one pair of trousers). It's fairly worn but it will last the summer. Same goes for my summer shoes - I have 2 pairs that look terrible but will last for another couple of months. For the very few formal occasions I'll have I can just wear my work shoes (black pumps).

draco44

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1675 on: May 23, 2020, 07:38:32 PM »
I taught someone (over Zoom) how to sew a button back onto a shirt.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #1676 on: May 23, 2020, 10:48:09 PM »

Read about wee wipes here yesterday, looked them up online, made some from scrap flannel last night and am now a convert.
Thank you @lazycow

Oh I am so chuffed to have been a force for Good!  It has made my week.

Today I used an old pair of pyjamas as a pattern to make my daughter a new pair, using material from a vintage bed sheet. If they sew up OK I will make myself a pair as well.
I had read about these ages ago, but couldn't quite get there. With the crazy TP hoarding, I decided it was time. I had plenty of scrap flannel and thread. Whipped up a batch of two dozen, and it has really stretched my TP stash! I just toss them in the wash with other clothes. I figure it has lowered my TP use by 4x, at least.

I'm seeing a similar reduction and can only assume our private septic system is benefitting as well.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1677 on: May 25, 2020, 06:55:56 AM »
My DH rode his bike to work.
I shut down the whole HVAC system for the weekend.  Just running the furnace fan for an hour to cool down the upstairs as much as possible before shutting the whole house down for the day.  It is gonna be hot - 29C. 

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #1678 on: June 05, 2020, 07:12:30 AM »
Yesterday evening we set all of the plants on the front porch out in the yard to be watered by the rain. This morning I saved the dishwashing rinse water in my watering cans to water them next time.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1679 on: June 06, 2020, 03:14:30 AM »
My DH rode his bike to work.
I shut down the whole HVAC system for the weekend.  Just running the furnace fan for an hour to cool down the upstairs as much as possible before shutting the whole house down for the day.  It is gonna be hot - 29C.

29C outside? Is your house so poorly insulated that 29C makes it intolerably warm inside? I don't mean to sound judgmental but I live in a pretty old house with large windows facing south, and when it's around 30C I close the curtains and it doesn't get warmer than 23/24C inside. We are adding insulation this month (primarily to make the house warmer during winter) but it should help keep the heat out on very hot days as well.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1680 on: June 06, 2020, 10:22:03 AM »
I negotiated 1x per week working from home so I cut my commuting down by 20%!

I ate all vegetarian yesterday and plan to do the same today.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1681 on: June 06, 2020, 10:24:56 AM »
Yesterday afternoon before the thunderstorms I walked to my local supermercado for tortillas, quesadilla cheese and tostadas to use with food I already had in my fridge. 

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1682 on: June 06, 2020, 11:18:48 AM »
Walked to the bakery with spouse this morning and got a pastry each for breakfast. As a bonus, we made a date out of it by stopping at the park to eat them.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1683 on: June 06, 2020, 11:55:43 AM »
I have been baking Pullman loaves, and re-using commercial bread bags to keep them fresh.  Also, I have been posting items on our local Buy Nothing group, which presumably keeps new items from being purchased and manufactured.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1684 on: June 06, 2020, 12:13:17 PM »
We've been making our bread and tortillas from scratch, which means we've been saving a lot of plastic on commercial bread and tortillas.

We need to get better about making our own frozen pizzas.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1685 on: June 06, 2020, 01:08:21 PM »
I'm staying with my parents for a week, and every time my dad makes a joke about packing up dinner leftovers "so we can throw it away in two weeks" I make sure I eat it for lunch the next day.

I also saved a few extra condiments from a takeout dinner to avoid waste, and we're using the leftover appetizer as a homemade pizza topping tonight.

Wanted to buy a gift for a couple of people, but stores are closed so I have to order online. So I found a place selling in New York to minimize fuel/energy expenditure to get it here.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1686 on: June 08, 2020, 05:29:54 AM »
17 year old DD has become very interested in Zero Waste and is leading a family project to decrease her and our family's waste further.   I'm proud of her!  So far she has:

* Done a complete inventory of the packaging our usual groceries come in.  We're consciously adding "less waste" as  one of the main factors in our decisionmaking for what groceries to buy.
* Done deep-dive research into our local recycling policies and practices.  (She created a list of the "store-drop-off-only" plastic items that our county says they take.  They include things I didn't think were recyclable, so that's a big win.  Not sure what really happens to these things after the store drop off, but this first step is good.)
* Switched to reusable menstrual products
* Switched to compostable dental floss.  This means that our bathroom trash (components = toilet paper, hair [from cleaning brushes] and floss) is now compostable

lexde

• Magnum Stache
What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?
« Reply #1687 on: June 19, 2020, 10:05:30 AM »
• Ate Vegan (less water usage, fewer emissions, less demand for deforestation, less pollution from factory farming)
• Slowly removing animal products from my pantry and freezer - today I gave away some Nutrigrain and Clif bars to someone less fortunate who I see regularly on my commute.
• Appeared via Zoom to a deposition, less car usage.
• (this week) Worked from home 3 days, no emissions.
• Cooked all of my meals at home.

RainyDay

• Bristles
« Reply #1688 on: June 19, 2020, 10:21:02 AM »
Started a compost bin after taking a 30 min "Easy Composting in 5 Steps" online thingy!  Since I do a lot of gardening and native landscaping, this is a double win -- free dirt!

Had my SO put up a clothesline.  No more dryer usage! 

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1689 on: June 19, 2020, 10:27:16 AM »
I e-biked to work for the 19th day in a row

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1690 on: June 19, 2020, 11:44:15 AM »
Shut down the house to keep the heat out.  It is forecast to be 29C with a humidex of 34C.  This morning I opened up the house and tried to get it cooled down first.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1691 on: June 21, 2020, 01:49:56 PM »
Today: 

I took my recycling down this morning.  I used a fairly gentle cleaner called Angry Orange with hot water to mop up some cat barf...  why oh why do cats always seem to want to barf on clean things?  Ate my 1030 lunch leftovers again at 1300.  Freecycled a small appliance and sold a picture on Craigslist.  I’m currently making sun tea on my balcony. 

Ducknald Don

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Oxford, UK
« Reply #1692 on: June 23, 2020, 08:23:06 AM »
Ate my 1030 lunch leftovers again at 1300.

Taking lessons from your cat?

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1693 on: June 23, 2020, 02:28:33 PM »
Used the water from the dehumidifier to water my plants.  Going to try to make this a habit - it will save water, remind me to check/empty the dehumidifier every day, AND remind me to check/water the plants every day.  Triple win!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1694 on: June 23, 2020, 03:16:23 PM »
Took my used printer cartridge to the post office to return it.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1695 on: June 25, 2020, 01:14:38 PM »
Ate the older, less-desirable leftover AND rode my bike to work, even though this meant that I had to only bring back some of my stuff.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1696 on: June 25, 2020, 01:55:20 PM »
Rode my bike to the dentist today.
Yesterday I walked to my haircut.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1697 on: June 28, 2020, 09:55:54 PM »
I've been going through my predecessor's files at work. I could've just dumped the whole closetful into the trash, BUT environmental reasons. Instead, I spent down time over the week going through each file, removing it from the folder, and making a 'reuse' pile and a 'recycle' pile.
I sorted out all the paper clips and folders and returned them to the office supply area for reuse by coworkers. The blank papers went in to the copier paper tray, and the confidential papers are going to the shredding/recycling service. I brought the cardboard boxes home and put them in my recycling bin. Now I've filled my personal printer with the pages that were only printed on one side. The only trash generated was laminated or otherwise non-recyclable items, instead of several boxes of trash.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1698 on: June 29, 2020, 04:26:55 AM »
I've been going through my predecessor's files at work. I could've just dumped the whole closetful into the trash, BUT environmental reasons. Instead, I spent down time over the week going through each file, removing it from the folder, and making a 'reuse' pile and a 'recycle' pile.
I sorted out all the paper clips and folders and returned them to the office supply area for reuse by coworkers. The blank papers went in to the copier paper tray, and the confidential papers are going to the shredding/recycling service. I brought the cardboard boxes home and put them in my recycling bin. Now I've filled my personal printer with the pages that were only printed on one side. The only trash generated was laminated or otherwise non-recyclable items, instead of several boxes of trash.

Great job @okcisok !

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1699 on: July 02, 2020, 01:03:35 PM »
watered using the rain barrel collected water.
swept all the paint flakes off the driveway instead of letting them get washed into the storm drains.