Author Topic: What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?  (Read 190101 times)

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?
« Reply #1300 on: April 11, 2019, 12:01:06 AM »
@Buffalo Chip, welcome! Just wondering what you mean when you call yourself a non/anti-environmental person?

Thanks for the welcome!  In answer to your question, I’m about getting rid of waste and come from the Christian perspective of stewardship and love for creation. That said, I’m not a fan of “environmentalism” as a social and political philosophy. So I don’t identify with it. In some cases like say composting or biking to work or taking action to not pollute unnecessarily or minimizing one’s consumption then I agree with those aspects of “environmentalism”and we’re getting to more or less the same place.  With other issues such as Global warming or avoiding/ eliminating children to minimize resource impact I disagree. Generally speaking I find myself disagreeing more with contemporary environmentalism than agreeing these days. And I really dislike the politicization. So, non/anti environmental.

Ah got it! I wouldn't call that anti as anti to me means that you're actively against it. Like I'm non-religious, yet definitely not anti-religious (see the difference?). I cannot imagine anyone being against reducing plastic waste anyways, so yeah I'm glad you're joining in.

As I'm interested, why do you disagree on the points about global warming and lower birth rates? I get that the Christian standpoint is to get children and let them be good for the world and all that (was raised wishy washy catholic) but do you think our human population can grow endlessly or that we're just not even close to a problem yet?

Buffalo Chip

• Stubble
  • Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like bananas
« Reply #1301 on: April 11, 2019, 08:13:35 AM »
@Buffalo Chip, welcome! Just wondering what you mean when you call yourself a non/anti-environmental person?
Ah got it! I wouldn't call that anti as anti to me means that you're actively against it. Like I'm non-religious, yet definitely not anti-religious (see the difference?). I cannot imagine anyone being against reducing plastic waste anyways, so yeah I'm glad you're joining in.

As I'm interested, why do you disagree on the points about global warming and lower birth rates? I get that the Christian standpoint is to get children and let them be good for the world and all that (was raised wishy washy catholic) but do you think our human population can grow endlessly or that we're just not even close to a problem yet?

Sure. I agree with the premise that climate change happens over time as we of course know there were ice ages and other times when the polar ice caps weren’t in evidence. Where I part ways with the contemporary environmentalism is in whether western industrial and transportation practices have all that much impact. It is not “settled science” as much as some would like it to be. And in any case, even if you do accept that we humans have a disproportionate impact, and I don’t, we’re probably looking at the wrong issues. Overconsumption of resources (gluttony) is probably more to the point. There is a reason why tropical forests get put to the torch: end the demand for the resources that are being sought and you take away the incentive for destruction.

As for kids, it’s the same sort of issue. Yes, children have an impact. But that is a consumption issue for the most part. If the parents are clueful and minimize consumption it isn’t that big of a deal. Further, larger families are more efficient families as consumption per person tends to be decreased. For clueful parents, larger families can be weaponized low consumption social units. And those kids will be the leaders of tomorrow. As for total population I don’t think it’s a problem. As societies become more industrialized and economically wealthy, births drop. The birth rates in western countries are crashing. The infrastructure is already there in most western countries to support more children.

The recurring theme is consumption and avoidance of overconsumption (gluttony) on a macro scale. A very mustachian concept from what I can tell.

nessness

• Bristles
« Reply #1302 on: April 11, 2019, 10:38:22 AM »
I organized my cubicle at work today, and saved all the paper that was blank on one side for my kids to color on.

nessness

• Bristles
« Reply #1303 on: April 11, 2019, 10:53:51 AM »

Sure. I agree with the premise that climate change happens over time as we of course know there were ice ages and other times when the polar ice caps weren’t in evidence. Where I part ways with the contemporary environmentalism is in whether western industrial and transportation practices have all that much impact. It is not “settled science” as much as some would like it to be. And in any case, even if you do accept that we humans have a disproportionate impact, and I don’t, we’re probably looking at the wrong issues. Overconsumption of resources (gluttony) is probably more to the point. There is a reason why tropical forests get put to the torch: end the demand for the resources that are being sought and you take away the incentive for destruction.

As for kids, it’s the same sort of issue. Yes, children have an impact. But that is a consumption issue for the most part. If the parents are clueful and minimize consumption it isn’t that big of a deal. Further, larger families are more efficient families as consumption per person tends to be decreased. For clueful parents, larger families can be weaponized low consumption social units. And those kids will be the leaders of tomorrow. As for total population I don’t think it’s a problem. As societies become more industrialized and economically wealthy, births drop. The birth rates in western countries are crashing. The infrastructure is already there in most western countries to support more children.

The recurring theme is consumption and avoidance of overconsumption (gluttony) on a macro scale. A very mustachian concept from what I can tell.
The science of climate change being caused by humans, and particularly by burning fossil fuels, is absolutely settled. The well-regarded intergovernmental panel on climate change puts it at greater than 95% likelihood, and if you're familiar with observational sciences, they never say anything is 100% true - greater than 95% is as confident as you're going to get on anything. I'd encourage you to read this link and the report linked in its first reference.
https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

I agree at least in part with point on large families. The population exploded largely because there was a lag between declining child mortality and declining birth rates, but birth rates are declining now too, and a lot of people think the population will eventually stabilize.

Buffalo Chip

• Stubble
« Reply #1304 on: April 11, 2019, 07:26:48 PM »

The science of climate change being caused by humans, and particularly by burning fossil fuels, is absolutely settled. The well-regarded intergovernmental panel on climate change puts it at greater than 95% likelihood, and if you're familiar with observational sciences, they never say anything is 100% true - greater than 95% is as confident as you're going to get on anything. I'd encourage you to read this link and the report linked in its first reference.
https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

I agree at least in part with point on large families. The population exploded largely because there was a lag between declining child mortality and declining birth rates, but birth rates are declining now too, and a lot of people think the population will eventually stabilize.

Well, we’ll agree to disagree on AGW. It doesn’t really matter so far as my actions are concerned; I dislike smog, clown cars, waste, and overconsumption and that prompts personal action. That action gets you to more or less the same place.

As for kids, yes populations seem to be stabilizing. And in the west, dropping. No grandiose plans needec to address population growth when people aren’t having kids anyway.

Buffalo Chip

• Stubble
« Reply #1305 on: April 11, 2019, 08:03:35 PM »
What I did today: rode bike to work, brought lunch, combined clown car trips, composted some stuff, saved plastic bags to wash and re-use, and decided to leave my bees alone.

nessness

• Bristles
« Reply #1306 on: April 11, 2019, 10:03:38 PM »
@Buffalo Chip I know this isn't a thread for debating so I won't press the issue any further. Welcome to the thread!

Buffalo Chip

• Stubble
« Reply #1307 on: April 12, 2019, 05:07:19 AM »
@Buffalo Chip I know this isn't a thread for debating so I won't press the issue any further. Welcome to the thread!

Yeah, debate on the relative merits of AGW belong in “off topic” in my view. Thanks for the welcome!

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1308 on: April 12, 2019, 07:08:14 PM »
This week I've been doing some in-depth price comparisons on things at different grocery stores that seem environmentally better (organic/post-consumer packaging/sustainable etc.) to see if I can find some improvements in my shopping habits that are not outrageously overpriced. (I've already done this with most things I buy frequently, but these are items I buy only occasionally, so I haven't done the legwork yet.)

So far I found popcorn that is only 5 cents more per ounce than the mass-market brand for a more sustainable/pesticide-free/organic product from a company that donates some of their profits to charity. And I found cookies that are organic and use post-consumer recycled packaging that was cheaper than the regular mass-market brand. I'm also hoping the food will be better quality, but I haven't eaten any of it yet :-)

I also resisted the siren call of taking a taxi on a rainy night when my transit pass wasn't working. Would have been 6 miles of driving each way.

heiding

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1309 on: April 16, 2019, 05:08:55 AM »
Hello!  I've just found this thread and have read a lot (not all yet!) of it, and love the ideas and inspiration and different points of view.

To join in - I've been thinking about my own impact on the environment.

*The Good*

I realised that every piece of furniture I have is second-hand (I guess its all vintage/retro/antique/found/given).  I like older style, so much of my other stuff is sourced from flea markets and op shops - which also entertains me!  I'm having some chandeliery light fittings installed in a couple of days - also second hand.

I don't have a car, I bus to and from work and walk a lot.  I love riding my bike, which I will once I get it fixed. 

I never use a dryer.  I have shortish showers, and don't water my lawn (perpetual drought).  I don't have or want air-conditioning or a dishwasher. 

I use a fan in my bedroom in summer - I'm in Canberra, Australia and we have very hot summers (regularly 40+) and very cold winters (regularly -5 to -10).  I have a small double-brick house which helps keep it cool-ish.  I just bought an electric mattress topper blanket thingie, which I'm hoping will help reduce the need to use my ducted heating (first time I've ever lived in a Canberra house with proper heating - yay!).  I will find some bubble wrap to bubble glaze - thanks for the idea!  The previous owners added a deck and two sets of sliding doors (yay!), but didn't double glaze them (boo).

I make most of my own food - but do buy lunch sometimes, as it avoids food wastage.  Particularly for more complex salads etc as I live alone (kids grown up) and find I don't always use up food before it goes off.  Kids both went vegan when they were young teens (not anymore) for about four years.  I kept a vegan household and made them learn to cook - worked a treat.  I would have cheese and yogurt and such, but only outside the house so they felt supported.  I hardly ever eat red meat, never have really.

I realise that growing up my Mum was very frugal indeed, due to lack of money and general lack of consumerism at that time (I was a kid in the 1970s and 80s). Meat was expensive and we rarely had treats.  Didn't miss it as we didn't have or expect it, other than birthdays and other special occasions.  She made a huge effort to provide interesting and healthy food for us, through careful budgeting and planning.  No car a lot of the time, so I'm used to that too.

**The Bad**

I'm failing in the garden department - too much grass and no fruit trees or vegetables yet.  I moved here about a year and a half ago and have tons of fixing to do inside (still unpacking and reducing the amount of stuff). 

**The Ugly**

Nup, that'd be mean. 

Thanks for the cool thread.  Btw - I'm a rambler :D

« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 05:11:52 AM by heiding »

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1310 on: April 16, 2019, 02:29:17 PM »
Biked to work!

Buffalo Chip

• Stubble
« Reply #1311 on: April 16, 2019, 04:35:23 PM »
Today: biked to work, composted some stuff, brought lunch to work.

Also, came up with an energy saving game with kids to challenge them to turn lights off. We’ll see how it goes.

mountain mustache

• Bristles
« Reply #1312 on: April 16, 2019, 07:36:13 PM »
biked to work, packed a lunch, used cloth towels instead of paper towels to clean the kitchen (trying to break a bad paper towel habit)

TrMama

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1313 on: April 17, 2019, 11:03:24 AM »
Two tall pots are partially filled with big chunks of styrofoam since the beans won't need that much dirt anyway.

Have you ever considered making self watering planters out of those tall pots, to save yourself some work? (google "self watering planter diy")  I had a lot of success with pots like that when I had a container garden.

They actually are self watering pots, but they're so tall with such small looking reservoirs at the bottom that I'm worried they won't be able to wick properly. I did leave a couple "channels" of potting soil open when I put the styrofoam in so hopefully I'll be proved wrong. The styrofoam is just a big solid chunk, not a pile of little bits.

With still 8 workdays left in the month, I've already hit my monthly bike mileage goal. My motivation is being greatly helped by a recent jump in gas prices. It's up to $1.62/L (or $6.10/ga), which is a new record. Every day I bike past hundreds (thousands?) of cars sitting in gridlocked traffic, idling away their overpriced tanks of gasoline, and think, "These people are all using the wrong tool for the job."

I'm doing better at making the kids help cook and clean up from dinner. That's helping keep our meat consumption down without sacrificing the quality of our diet.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #1314 on: April 18, 2019, 08:37:29 AM »
For the last few years we have used a solar cooker to preheat cooking water, raise bread dough and such things. It was good enough to almost but not quite reach boiling temperature. Last week I started working on a replacement. It is done except for the 'seasoning', which is simply putting it in the sun a few days to heat it up and set the glue and paint. The paint gives off fumes until completely baked dry.
The thermometer gave a reading of 250 F (121 C), but I suspect I need a new thermometer, since water didn't boil!
Cost of materials, paint, glue, reflector was about $20. It could easily be made for a lot less.
Design is similar to this one:
https://www.greenoptimistic.com/solar-oven-cardboard/#.XLiIouopU0g

msministache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1315 on: April 18, 2019, 09:10:14 AM »
Posting to follow.

Today I am working from home, avoiding 20 miles commute.
I am going to drop off our food scrapes in city's garden compost bin.
I am mostly buying my groceries in zero waste shop (pantry items, such as rice, beans, etc) using my own bags and jars. And produce (not wrapped in plastic) I will get in the closest store I can walk to. 

And today and any other day I am resisting temptation to buy a new car and replace my 03 Camry)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1316 on: April 18, 2019, 09:20:06 AM »
It was pointed out to me yesterday by a friend... I rarely travel. In the past 6 years, I think I've taken 1 flight, and it was only a couple states over. Generally, we stick local with our travel. I know air travel is a "sacred cow", but it does still have a carbon footprint, and I hadn't really considered being on the "right" side of that one!

Been continuing to walk a ton. Love where we live!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1317 on: April 18, 2019, 03:50:18 PM »
Apparently my kids want to do Easter. I didn't think they believed in the Easter bunny. Oops.

The grass is wasteful, but it's festive--so I went to Goodwill, where they take open packages that other people are getting rid of and combine them, so at least it is not new manufacturing. I also got a couple of cheap wicker baskets rather than buy new, single-year cutesy things from the dollar bin at Target. Bonus: supports Goodwill.

seattlecyclone

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1318 on: April 18, 2019, 09:32:11 PM »
The fill valve on our toilet broke the other day. When I was at Home Depot to get a new one I noticed that for $15 more than a replacement fill valve, you can get a kit to convert any old toilet to a dual-flush model (push the handle up for liquid waste and down for solid waste, with each setting configurable to use exactly as much water as is needed and no more). I picked that up, put it in, and now we'll be using less water on every flush.

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1319 on: April 19, 2019, 01:01:06 AM »
Question for y'all: is Carbonfund.org a legit/decent organization? I am trying to use up some rewards points before they expire - I don't have enough points for 95% of the options, but one of the things I have enough points for is a donation to Carbonfund.org to purchase carbon offsets. I just wanted to check and make sure it wasn't scammy or something before I pushed the button... I did some light googling but didn't come up with anything useful, so I figured I'd check with the hive mind here in case someone had already done the research.

wenchsenior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1320 on: April 19, 2019, 08:48:32 AM »
RE: Carbonfund.org, @Malaysia41  might know.

lakemom

• Bristles
« Reply #1321 on: April 19, 2019, 10:53:23 AM »
Used up a bunch of leftovers in the fridge for lunch.
Bought some more of these reusable ziploc bags for storage and lunches https://amzn.to/2XtCm1c
Scrounged up all the bits of Easter grass in the box to fill the baskets for the kids instead of buying new.
Bought half as much candy for the baskets as "normal" and will fill half their eggs with quarters.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1322 on: April 19, 2019, 12:18:09 PM »
Requested a bin for composting! This will cost me about $10/month but is commercial composting run by the city, so I'll be able to put everything in there that you can't do at home--weeds, pizza boxes, etc.--as well as banana peels and whatnot.

okcisok

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1323 on: April 19, 2019, 04:53:16 PM »
Realized that the outfits that I consistently get compliments on, and feel most comfortable in, are almost all secondhand. Either gifted to me or purchased from a thrift store.

HappyCheerE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1324 on: April 20, 2019, 06:49:26 AM »
We live in an apartment building. I noticed this morning that one of the electric baseboard heaters in the stairwells was on when it shouldn't be. The maintenance people are supposed to adjust them (no knobs) but rather than phone it in (weekend, who knows when they'd get to it) I turned it off with the stem.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1325 on: April 20, 2019, 08:48:23 AM »
Bought half as much candy for the baskets as "normal" and will fill half their eggs with quarters.

Brilliant!

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #1326 on: April 20, 2019, 01:43:26 PM »

I haven't looked too closely into it. All of my self-imposed carbon taxes go directly to vegan activists and Represent.Us. Sorry I couldn't help

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1327 on: April 21, 2019, 10:55:44 AM »
I downloaded an app against food waste, where you can buy leftover fresh products from several supermarkets, hotels and bakeries in the area. So far both yesterday and today everything seemed sold out in no-time though.

What is the name of the app?  It sounds promising.

Too good to go.

Started in Denmark and it's now available in more countries, not sure if it's available in the US yet though!

I picked up leftover groceries from the organic store and sushi from a new restaurant yesterday. A massive (45cm) organic bread, two types of yoghurt, vegan fish fingers and 8 1/2 rolls of sushi for the grand total of €8.

The only downside to the app is they sell out so quickly... It's really popular in my city.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1328 on: April 21, 2019, 11:31:06 AM »
I downloaded an app against food waste, where you can buy leftover fresh products from several supermarkets, hotels and bakeries in the area. So far both yesterday and today everything seemed sold out in no-time though.

Too good to go.

Started in Denmark and it's now available in more countries, not sure if it's available in the US yet though!

I picked up leftover groceries from the organic store and sushi from a new restaurant yesterday. A massive (45cm) organic bread, two types of yoghurt, vegan fish fingers and 8 1/2 rolls of sushi for the grand total of €8.

The only downside to the app is they sell out so quickly... It's really popular in my city.

That sounds awesome! I have checked the app several times but it's always sold out :(. I've seen one of the bakeries that still had sth available once, but I thought I'd be getting too much for myself to finish as I don't have much freezer space and don't wanna eat bread 24/7 for 2 days straight :p. So for now I deleted the app again, guess I will retry in a few months.

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1329 on: April 21, 2019, 11:42:46 AM »

I haven't looked too closely into it. All of my self-imposed carbon taxes go directly to vegan activists and Represent.Us. Sorry I couldn't help

Thanks anyway (to everyone who responded!).

I tried to go ahead and make the donation from the rewards website thingy and the button won't work in three different browsers on two devices, and neither does their "contact us" form where I tried to inquire about their website being broken, so... :-/ Hopefully after the holiday weekend I'll be able to get through to someone there. I have enough points for 4 tons of carbon offsets, if I can get it to actually work.

Small things I've been doing: I'm planning a vegan dish for my weekly-ish batch cooking. And I just realized I haven't taken a taxi in over 10 weeks. (Thought of it because I'm breaking my streak today - going to my parents' house and the first part of the trip is difficult on transit, especially on the holiday/Sunday schedule. So I'm taking a short taxi ride to the train station instead of a walk plus two buses.)

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1330 on: April 21, 2019, 11:55:30 AM »

Too good to go.

That sounds awesome! I have checked the app several times but it's always sold out :(. I've seen one of the bakeries that still had sth available once, but I thought I'd be getting too much for myself to finish as I don't have much freezer space and don't wanna eat bread 24/7 for 2 days straight :p. So for now I deleted the app again, guess I will retry in a few months.

I try to go for the grocery boxes (from Jumbo and Ekoplaza) . They can contain anything fresh - veggies, dairy, bread, salads, juice etc. I haven't received meat/fish yet but those could definitely be included. I think the bakery boxes are great if you have a big family or a lot of roommates but they are probably not that suitable for singles/couples. They can contain several breads or bags of bread rolls but I've also heard about people getting an entire cake or a lot of pastries or donuts.

The sushi was a first and was a success - more than enough for a single meal and cost €5. I've been trying to get a meal from a great local Italian deli but no luck so far.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?
« Reply #1331 on: April 21, 2019, 02:43:13 PM »
Used the human-powered reel lawn mower to cut the grass in the front yard yesterday.

Will try to do the backyard today; I was away for a week and everything is very overgrown.

My favorite part of using the reel mower is the “grasscycling” — the lawn clipping and shredded leaves go right back into the soil.

Going to look into buying an old-fashioned manual lawn edger. Carbon-zero lawn care.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 02:46:55 PM by jengod »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1332 on: April 22, 2019, 05:18:27 AM »
Went out for dinner with family tonight.

I knew the place we were going served sizeable portions, so I took a glass Decor container with me to a) save the rest of my meal for lunch tomorrow, and b) avoid having to ask for a plastic takeaway container.

As delicious as my pasta was, having the container in my bag strengthened my resolve to only eat half my meal. Great for portion control!

TrMama

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1333 on: April 22, 2019, 10:34:08 AM »
Did some sewing this weekend. Managed to make a new workout shirt from some tiny scraps that I was otherwise going to throw out. Finished another t-shirt where the neckline turned out weird so it's rescued from the scrap heap too. Also, repaired a hole in a wool t-shirt so it can go on keeping me warm in winter.

AND the thing I'm most proud of is that I repaired my neoprene bike shoe covers. I've used them so much the bottoms were getting shredded. But now they're patched and have new elastic on the bottom openings so they should be good for at least another 5K km.

The grass is growing like crazy in my backyard, so that's basically all our guinea pigs have been eating for the past couple weeks. I like having all that free pet food available.

Discovered I actually quite like tempeh, although neither of the kids liked it. I'll probably try again with some different seasonings.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
    • I found happiness! Now what!?
« Reply #1334 on: April 22, 2019, 06:29:03 PM »
Did some sewing this weekend. Managed to make a new workout shirt from some tiny scraps that I was otherwise going to throw out. Finished another t-shirt where the neckline turned out weird so it's rescued from the scrap heap too. Also, repaired a hole in a wool t-shirt so it can go on keeping me warm in winter.

AND the thing I'm most proud of is that I repaired my neoprene bike shoe covers. I've used them so much the bottoms were getting shredded. But now they're patched and have new elastic on the bottom openings so they should be good for at least another 5K km.

The grass is growing like crazy in my backyard, so that's basically all our guinea pigs have been eating for the past couple weeks. I like having all that free pet food available.

Discovered I actually quite like tempeh, although neither of the kids liked it. I'll probably try again with some different seasonings.

An impressive list.  I tried the tempeh with the kids and had a similar experience.  I haven't found yet that I love it either so I'll try it a few different ways.  I used to poo poo tofu but now I eat it regularly so who knows!?

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
    • I found happiness! Now what!?
« Reply #1335 on: April 22, 2019, 06:31:23 PM »
I took the much longer route of travelling by city bus to and from my destination for this weekend.  Made a mistake and extended the time slightly.  Accepted said mistake.  Relaxed.  And got home more relaxed than if I had driven. 

Learned more about how the negative impacts of plane travel and will continue to keep my trips to a minimum with a look towards maximizing the utility of every flight.

TrMama

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1336 on: April 23, 2019, 09:51:12 AM »

An impressive list.  I tried the tempeh with the kids and had a similar experience.  I haven't found yet that I love it either so I'll try it a few different ways.  I used to poo poo tofu but now I eat it regularly so who knows!?

I'm thinking of chopping it up fairly finely and adding taco seasoning. Kind of a ground beef alternative for tacos. Or possibly a sweet BBQ glaze. I made this recipe, https://www.budgetbytes.com/sesame-tempeh-bowls/, and I suspect it was the glaze they didn't care for. I also think I should have simmered it in water longer so it didn't have such a dry texture.

My kids think they don't like tofu, but I sneak it into homemade egg rolls (along with mushrooms, which they also claim not to like) and it's one of their favorite meals.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1337 on: April 23, 2019, 02:44:29 PM »
All the people I've met in life who "didn't like mushrooms" were failing to eat mushrooms fried in butter.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1338 on: April 24, 2019, 01:02:29 AM »
I decluttered and organised the study today so that we use the things we own instead of buying new things, e.g. empty notebooks.

I also made a skirt yesterday from scrap fabric that would otherwise have gone in the bin, so that I could test a new pattern. It worked so well I'll be wearing the skirt a lot!

londonbanker

• Stubble
« Reply #1339 on: April 24, 2019, 02:37:55 PM »
Finally decided to get off my back side and upgrade all my 68 GU10 halogen light to GU10 LED ones. Took me a whole afternoon - but will hopefully be saving a lot over the next few years and lower my environmental footprint at the same time

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #1340 on: April 30, 2019, 07:18:03 AM »
Instead of vac'ing the whole house, I dusted using the swiffer with an old diaper on it.  I bought a swiffer ages ago and stopped using it when I ran out of the disposable clothes that came with it.  I recently started using it again with old rags.  The rags pick up a ton of cat hair.  I have been hanging the rags on the clothes line for rinsing off most of the cat hair before washing them and repeating the process.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Horses: for sanity & poverty!
« Reply #1341 on: April 30, 2019, 08:06:06 AM »
I am hand-weeding our property.  There are areas where it's very tempting to use herbicide, but I won't.  Many of the weeds are being fed to the chickens, and most of the rest composted.  I try to keep my xeriscape looking nice in the hopes that it might inspire neighbors to at least replace some of their thirstier landscaping, instead of being the yard they point at to say "but xeriscape is ugly!"

My patch of native wheatgrass is reproducing like crazy, so even though we've used mostly lower-water landscaping than the norm, I'm digging up these grasses and spreading them out to replace plants that needed more supplemental water.  Some of my native flowering plants are also reproducing, and that means better habitat for pollinators.  Made sure not to dig up any of my resprouting milkweeds, though one that planted itself in the veggie bed needs to be moved.

Yesterday I mentioned to a co-worker that the giant Styrofoam cup she gets from Sonic every day would be great for potting up my seedlings and she said she would start saving them for me.  Of course it would be better if she didn't get them at all, but she said her tea "tastes weird" in her hydroflask.  At least she has a reusable straw?

TrMama

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1342 on: April 30, 2019, 12:32:52 PM »
I seem to have my sewing mojo back. I sewed up a pair of work pants from some fabric I'd bought ages ago. Saved me from buying a readymade pair. I also sewed more produce/bulk bags from my old sheet collection.

Made a veggie pot pie last night and threw in some tempeh chopped into smallish pieces. Hopefully the kids will eat it this way. The small amount I tasted last night was delicious.

Overall our meat consumption is way down since my 12yo decided to go vegetarian. I'm only cooking meat a couple times/week.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1343 on: April 30, 2019, 07:01:34 PM »
@marty998 and I are catching up over noodles after work tonight. I've packed chopsticks from home rather than use disposable ones.

mominca

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1344 on: May 01, 2019, 10:31:29 AM »

I knew the place we were going served sizeable portions, so I took a glass Decor container with me to a) save the rest of my meal for lunch tomorrow, and b) avoid having to ask for a plastic takeaway container.

I love this idea! We don't eat out much, but I hate coming home with to go boxes. If we ever do get take out I make sure they don't pack the forks/chopsticks/napkins etc.

I buy all my son's toys used when possible- even lego sets. He's been using the same lunch sack for 4 years, even though it looks ratty it is still functional and he hasn't complained. I use resusable food bags and containers in his lunch and never buy individually packaged applesauce etc. 

gatortator

• Stubble
« Reply #1345 on: May 01, 2019, 11:14:01 AM »
I gave up meat for lent and my family, by default, went on a low meat diet.  I knew going into this that tofu based meals were not an option but navy beans, garbanzos, black beans, pintos and limited lentils were ok.  What I discovered over the 6 weeks
  • Both of my kids really liked tempeh stir-fry.  I made it multiple times and both happily ate it.
  • Neither was fond of the Trader Joes vegan chorizo-- just a little too spicy
  • However both loved the soy beef product we found at Winco.  especially in sloppy joes-- they liked it better than the regular version

This is the first I have really ever been a short order cook (cooking different meals for different people).  I really did not like that aspect and I will need to think about this if I choose to continue this experiment next year. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1346 on: May 01, 2019, 12:12:08 PM »
Well, it wasn't something we've done today- but with the weather getting sunnier, it's finally paying off.

Our electric bill was $11.74 this month. There is a $13.50 monthly admin fee. Which means our solar panels produced more than 100% of the electricity we used in the month. :)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1347 on: May 02, 2019, 01:36:49 AM »
@marty998 and I are catching up over noodles after work tonight. I've packed chopsticks from home rather than use disposable ones.

You also took the plastic scoop spoons so we don't have to get new ones next time!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1348 on: May 02, 2019, 04:02:53 AM »

You also took the plastic scoop spoons so we don't have to get new ones next time!

And you brought water in a re-usable bottle. :)

mountain mustache

• Bristles
« Reply #1349 on: May 02, 2019, 08:06:03 AM »
biked to work, bike home for lunch, biked back to work and then home. Ate leftovers that I really didn't want to eat. Made a dinner completely out of ingredients from my deep freezer.