Author Topic: What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?  (Read 174786 times)

krmit

• Stubble
Re: What small things did you do today to reduce your environmental impact?
« Reply #1100 on: January 08, 2019, 02:34:35 PM »
Installed some weather stripping on our interior door into the garage to reduce heat leak.
Turned the thermostat down to 60 and am keeping warm with a blanket and wool socks.
Yesterday I chopped up our Christmas tree to save for backyard fires this summer.

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1101 on: January 08, 2019, 02:44:22 PM »
Came in to work late today (instead of coming in on time, driving back to near home for a doctor's appointment, and back into work)
Brought my water bottle with me for our free work lunch today, instead of taking a disposable bottle.
Yesterday bought rice and sunflower seeds in my own reusable containers.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1102 on: January 08, 2019, 09:31:55 PM »
I am SUPER EXCITED! because this morning my pregnant friend asked me questions about making it work with just one car for the household once she has her baby. We're doing great with only one car so I reassured her that yes, of course she can make it work.

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1103 on: January 08, 2019, 10:11:23 PM »
That's awesome about your friend - eliminating the need for a whole car is huge! :-)

I stopped at the grocery store shortly before they closed tonight and made some choices with an eye on high-environmental-impact foods they might throw out if it didn't get sold in the next 10 minutes (e.g., the last bit of ground pork in the meat display case, some roast beef in the salad bar that looked like it was already being repurposed from somewhere else). I'm not sure if that technically reduces my environmental impact, but I feel better if those things don't get wasted after they used up so many resources in their creation.

I also chose vegetables with an eye towards minimizing use of plastic packaging.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1104 on: January 09, 2019, 06:12:54 PM »
Found out that I can crisp up my soft corn tortillas in the toaster oven.  Then I can use them like little tostadas.  Yummy and cheap.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1105 on: January 09, 2019, 06:44:19 PM »
-Downloaded an app, "think dirty". While it isn't overtly about environmental choices, but personal health ones, these obviously overlap a ton on personal care items. It's been handy, as it has a search and a scanner, so it's a pretty quick look up on ingredients and so on.

-Recently priced out who gives a crap TP. It ends up being $1/roll for the largest order size ($1.25/roll with the smaller size order) for their 'economical' option. Costco's TP ends up being less than $0.60/roll, and the rolls have more sheets. How do people balance stuff like this? I want to reduce my plastics use, but it's so hard to find things that aren't 2x or more over the options I go for now =\

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1106 on: January 09, 2019, 07:54:54 PM »
-Recently priced out who gives a crap TP. It ends up being $1/roll for the largest order size ($1.25/roll with the smaller size order) for their 'economical' option. Costco's TP ends up being less than $0.60/roll, and the rolls have more sheets. How do people balance stuff like this? I want to reduce my plastics use, but it's so hard to find things that aren't 2x or more over the options I go for now =\

When I worked it out for WGAC here in Aus, it was the same price as the cheaper range at the supermarket anyway. So that made it easy. That was before we had Aldi, mind.

But to address the question you're actually asking: I try to make the switch where it isn't too much more, or where it's relatively convenient to make the switch (because time and energy are always in short supply for me, more so than money). Eventually I'll run out of low hanging fruit and have to push further out of my comfort zone, financially and convenience-wise. I do think that I, personally, should be willing to pay quite a bit more for the non-plastic options, because I have a good household income and a high savings rate and can afford it. If not me, who?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1107 on: January 09, 2019, 08:07:09 PM »
It has occurred to me (again) just how convenient it is not having to worry about buying pads or tampons - with reusable options they're already on-hand, ready to go, when you need them.

I've also been thinking about how great the sharing economy is for reducing consumption (and thus, production) of products we only need for a limited time. I include Buy Nothing in the sharing economy because I tend to receive items as I need them and just post them back on the group when I'm done. Kid stuff is an obvious example, but we also have a heap of novels cycling through the group too.

I received some 'eco' Christmas presents that I don't need (e.g. produce bags - we already own more than enough). So I'm going to list them on Buy Nothing and help someone else make the switch from single use plastic :-)

A friend shared photos with me of her retractable window shades, so now I'm going to investigate those for the windows that get too much summer sun. Anything that reduces our use of air con in summer is a very, very environmental choice for us, living in a hot climate.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1108 on: January 09, 2019, 08:50:39 PM »
It has occurred to me (again) just how convenient it is not having to worry about buying pads or tampons - with reusable options they're already on-hand, ready to go, when you need them.

I've also been thinking about how great the sharing economy is for reducing consumption (and thus, production) of products we only need for a limited time. I include Buy Nothing in the sharing economy because I tend to receive items as I need them and just post them back on the group when I'm done. Kid stuff is an obvious example, but we also have a heap of novels cycling through the group too.

I received some 'eco' Christmas presents that I don't need (e.g. produce bags - we already own more than enough). So I'm going to list them on Buy Nothing and help someone else make the switch from single use plastic :-)

A friend shared photos with me of her retractable window shades, so now I'm going to investigate those for the windows that get too much summer sun. Anything that reduces our use of air con in summer is a very, very environmental choice for us, living in a hot climate.

Oh that reminds me of something cool I did! I got reusable straws for Christmas. But, we don't really use straws. We don't buy drinks out and we don't use them at home. So I gifted them on to some friends- they do get drinks out pretty often, and were super excited- my friend said she's been looking at them and was overwhelmed by the choices/none of the ones she found had the cleaner brushes, which this pack did. Made me happy to avoid something coming in I wouldn't use, and pass a nice eco friendly gift onto a friend!

When I worked it out for WGAC here in Aus, it was the same price as the cheaper range at the supermarket anyway. So that made it easy. That was before we had Aldi, mind.

But to address the question you're actually asking: I try to make the switch where it isn't too much more, or where it's relatively convenient to make the switch (because time and energy are always in short supply for me, more so than money). Eventually I'll run out of low hanging fruit and have to push further out of my comfort zone, financially and convenience-wise. I do think that I, personally, should be willing to pay quite a bit more for the non-plastic options, because I have a good household income and a high savings rate and can afford it. If not me, who?

Sigh. No easy answers are there? I definitely have made the 'right' choices already on the low hanging fruit, and I'm getting quickly into the much more time/effort/cost/etc territory. It's hard when you get the to point where health, frugality, and eco friendliness diverge! Up to a point they all very much walk the same path. =\

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1109 on: January 10, 2019, 01:14:34 AM »
Convinced a friend that she should try on the very fancy dress I've bought for my sister's wedding, to see if she wants to borrow it for an upcoming wedding she's attending. I am SO HAPPY about this because she tends to buy a lot of fast fashion.

I definitely have made the 'right' choices already on the low hanging fruit, and I'm getting quickly into the much more time/effort/cost/etc territory. It's hard when you get the to point where health, frugality, and eco friendliness diverge! Up to a point they all very much walk the same path. =\

Yup :-/

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #1110 on: January 10, 2019, 03:20:59 AM »
Just joining in this now so I hope my attempts fit the thread!

I just made my first batch of Apple Scraps Vinegar out of the the cores and peel my daughters don't eat. The recipe/ instructions were from the new Simplicious Flow cookbook which is really focused on reducing waste.

The vinegar seems pretty good so far and I'll be happy if I don't need to buy Apple cider vinegar in the future. All the bottles here are collected, washed and reused by companies but this will reduce the transport impact... one bottle at a time.  That counts,  right?

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1111 on: January 10, 2019, 04:30:22 AM »
Just joining in this now so I hope my attempts fit the thread!

I just made my first batch of Apple Scraps Vinegar out of the the cores and peel my daughters don't eat. The recipe/ instructions were from the new Simplicious Flow cookbook which is really focused on reducing waste.

The vinegar seems pretty good so far and I'll be happy if I don't need to buy Apple cider vinegar in the future. All the bottles here are collected, washed and reused by companies but this will reduce the transport impact... one bottle at a time.  That counts,  right?

It counts!  That is really interesting.  Also a good one for the 'What small things did you do today to save money?' thread.

Huge overlap between the two, as @Bracken_Joy and @HappierAtHome just pointed out.  Frugality and environmental friendliness, walking the same path.

Mountainbug

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1112 on: January 10, 2019, 07:03:53 AM »
Successfully completed weekly grocery run without getting a single plastic bag. Not a huge accomplishment but a first for me as I never seem to have enough bags or produce bags, and I have to shop with a 2 year old in tow. Also said no to drive the coffee place, as I did not have my reusable mug.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1113 on: January 10, 2019, 06:58:52 PM »
Successfully completed weekly grocery run without getting a single plastic bag. Not a huge accomplishment but a first for me as I never seem to have enough bags or produce bags, and I have to shop with a 2 year old in tow. Also said no to drive the coffee place, as I did not have my reusable mug.

That's awesome :D

BuffaloStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1114 on: January 11, 2019, 01:35:41 PM »
Since Jan 1 I've been committed to, and have actually followed through with working one day a week from home, on average. I'm an unfortunate (and admitted) member of the clown-car commuting society (I do it so that my wife has basically zero commute), so 1 day of working remotely saves ~30 miles (48km) of driving on my car. Plus, I've been trying to exercise/read/do productive things with the time I used to spend commuting!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1115 on: January 12, 2019, 09:50:32 PM »
Stretched to five days between hair washes, which saves water. My hair is very thick, so washing it means a significantly longer shower.

Combined trips this morning to minimise use of the car.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1116 on: January 13, 2019, 08:44:21 AM »
-Once per month, my book club gets together. We all live across a fairly large area and rotate where we host it. Next month, the furthest person from me is hosting. I already set up with another friend so that I'll drive half way to her house, then three of us will all carpool from there. May even pick up a fourth member on the way if she wants to meet at a center point.

-Neighbor saw my husband taking out our latest Imperfect Produce box to the recycling. Said he just got an email from them that they'll start collecting and reusing the boxes. So Husband brought the box back, and we'll hold onto it until we find out if they're taking ours back too, or whether it's some sort of pilot program the other guy is in. Should know by Thursday.

-While it's a budget loss for us, I realized not being near a Costco anymore definitely reduces our plastic use. Especially when we buy meat- at costco, not only is it not well sourced, it's in a lot of plastic (and prone to leaking, so ends up in MORE plastic). Whereas if we buy from the butcher counter, it gets paper wrapped. I don't know why it hadn't occurred to me before that buying the 'tray pack' meat by the butcher counter at the store uses a lot more plastic than the paper wrapped meat when you get it from the counter! But I'm going to start doing that. Fairly easy change to make, and it's not like the 'tray' wrapped meat can be frozen that way anyway! Or even prevents leaks well. There's also a plastic decrease for produce- cucumber are the example that come to mind. Costco wraps their 3 pack hothouse cucumbers individually in plastic sleeves, then puts all 3 in another sleeve. So many layers of plastic!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1117 on: January 13, 2019, 06:40:35 PM »
* Cargo biked to the grocery store.

* Brought my own bags to the grocery store.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1118 on: January 14, 2019, 10:23:17 PM »
Did a big shop and used all my own bags. We've also been having a problem with remembering them. Next step is to remember the lightweight produce bags.

mies

• Bristles
« Reply #1119 on: January 16, 2019, 05:11:15 AM »
I finally replaced a fluorescent fixture that was dying in our kitchen with one that can take LED bulbs. The old fixture took two circline fluorescent and produced 2950 lumens and consumed 54W. The new setup produces 3000 lumens and only uses 26W. Even though the new setup is only producing 50 more lumens, it is much brighter since the new fixture doesnít block as much light as the old one.

Iím pretty close to eliminating all the incandescent and CFL lights in my house :) All of my old CFL bulbs get used for exterior lighting or the garage. Since we donít leave lights on all night and we arenít in the garage that often, I figure I can use them up in those applications before they die. The interior lighting is finally all LED and those are the lights that get used the most. As the CFL bulbs die, Iíll swap them out for LEDs.

Mountainbug

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1120 on: January 16, 2019, 07:54:26 AM »
Someone on our neighborhood fb group was giving away LED bulbs for our recessed lighting because they were the wrong hue. Picked them up and installed them in our most used areas.

Cutting up a bag of T-shirtís for rags instead of dumping them at goodwill. They are old plain white tshirts, and while I donít want or need more rags I canít bear to just dump them.

Trying2bFrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #1121 on: January 16, 2019, 01:06:07 PM »
We use cloths to clean kitchen tops/water and just hand wash them and keep using them. Six kitchen paper towel individual roles were just completed after almost an 5 months span.
Thats after 100+ guests visited our house in that time span.

The plastic cover is our trash disposal cover. The Costco trash bags were still sitting in the box last 1.5 years.

We always use glass tumblers instead of plastic cups, we just dont have it in our house.

We never bought any frozen foods, always cook fresh.

We buy in bulk (4 month supply) on non-perishable and having long expiration dates.

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #1122 on: January 16, 2019, 01:40:47 PM »
I took the train to work today and then the bus home and walk the last 1.2km. And I brought my lunch.

gatortator

• Stubble
« Reply #1123 on: January 17, 2019, 08:25:27 PM »
made my own hard sugar wax and waxed my underarms.  had a few previous missteps with the wax making before and am so happy it worked today...  so close to being able to give up razors!

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1124 on: January 18, 2019, 07:58:10 AM »
Instead of vacuuming - I dusted with an old towel and mop. 
Made mint tea with mint that I dried this fall and it is delicious and fresh.  I will probably need to dry double the amount next year.  At the rate that I am drinking it, it is going to be gone by the end of the month.  I have almost eliminated all tea bag purchases, replaced herbals with my own harvested ones, and switched to one pound bags of loose tea. 

I have also gotten totally into making my own yogurt.  The only plastic is from the four liter bags of milk.  We are sweetening it with honey from my neighbour or maple syrup that I made in 2017.  Or berry jam that I made in 2018. 

chaskavitch

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1125 on: January 20, 2019, 06:52:51 AM »

I have also gotten totally into making my own yogurt.  The only plastic is from the four liter bags of milk.  We are sweetening it with honey from my neighbour or maple syrup that I made in 2017.  Or berry jam that I made in 2018.

I love making my own yogurt :)  It's a tiny bit time consuming, but so worth it - we eat it sweetened with jam I made too.  Side bonus, our toddler loves eating his yogurt from a "little tiny jar" that I portion it into for him, he thinks it's super fun.

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1126 on: January 20, 2019, 07:03:06 AM »

I love making my own yogurt :)  It's a tiny bit time consuming, but so worth it - we eat it sweetened with jam I made too.  Side bonus, our toddler loves eating his yogurt from a "little tiny jar" that I portion it into for him, he thinks it's super fun.
I have found that making it in the instant pot in a huge quantity takes exactly the same amount of effort as making smaller quantities so I make up 2.6L at a time.  My guys know not to touch the small jar that says yogurt starter on it. 

chaskavitch

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1127 on: January 20, 2019, 07:11:03 AM »

I have found that making it in the instant pot in a huge quantity takes exactly the same amount of effort as making smaller quantities so I make up 2.6L at a time.  My guys know not to touch the small jar that says yogurt starter on it.

Haha, I have a little mason jar labeled "starter" in the fridge too :)

I just tried yogurt in the instant pot for the first time a week or two ago.  Usually I just portion it out into jars after I add the starter and put them in my oven with the light on for ~6 hours, but it's nice to be able to actually USE the oven for that time, especially in the winter.  Also there's no chance of my husband turning off the oven light and letting everything cool off too early.

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1128 on: January 20, 2019, 07:15:29 AM »

I just tried yogurt in the instant pot for the first time a week or two ago.  Usually I just portion it out into jars after I add the starter and put them in my oven with the light on for ~6 hours, but it's nice to be able to actually USE the oven for that time, especially in the winter.  Also there's no chance of my husband turning off the oven light and letting everything cool off too early.
  I like really thick tangy yogurt so we have been doing 10 hours overnight in the IP - seems downright crazy - but when you add thawed runny blue berries....

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1129 on: January 20, 2019, 01:24:35 PM »

I like really thick tangy yogurt so we have been doing 10 hours overnight in the IP - seems downright crazy - but when you add thawed runny blue berries....

I always do 10 hours in the IP!

I buy a new mini-carton of Fage for every other batch. If anyone has a better idea, please share. (NOT going longer without fresh starter. I have tried that and I am not happy with the results.)

BUT I do make my yogurt primarily with milk sold in reusable cartons. Win!

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1130 on: January 20, 2019, 06:01:20 PM »

I always do 10 hours in the IP!

I buy a new mini-carton of Fage for every other batch. If anyone has a better idea, please share. (NOT going longer without fresh starter. I have tried that and I am not happy with the results.)

BUT I do make my yogurt primarily with milk sold in reusable cartons. Win!
I have only made four batches of yogurt so far - really new to this.  I have reserved some from each batch to make the next batch.  Does something happen that the previous batch doesn't make good yogurt?

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1131 on: January 20, 2019, 09:01:37 PM »
I used my own coffee cup for my green tea at work today, and am now keeping a "keep cup" here as well for buying hot chocolates if I need a break or am meeting up with others.

cl_noll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1132 on: January 21, 2019, 11:00:26 AM »
For a whopping $3.02/month, I purchased a 100% offset of my electricity consumption with renewable energy from my energy utility. 

chaskavitch

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1133 on: January 21, 2019, 11:54:20 AM »
For a whopping $3.02/month, I purchased a 100% offset of my electricity consumption with renewable energy from my energy utility.

I just sent in my form to update to 100% too!  Ours is $5.30 per block of 200 kWh, and we use on average 400 kWh/mo, so more than $3, but not much AT ALL.  I'm stoked.

BuffaloStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1134 on: January 21, 2019, 09:00:57 PM »
My team at work got lunch catered today- I opted to get a cookie (wrapped in a compostable paper sleeve) -vs- chips in a non-recyclable plastic bag. Also went grocery shopping on the way home from work, and brought my reusable bags.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1135 on: January 22, 2019, 04:14:36 AM »

I just sent in my form to update to 100% too!  Ours is $5.30 per block of 200 kWh, and we use on average 400 kWh/mo, so more than $3, but not much AT ALL.  I'm stoked.
Mine would be $30/ month extra for 400kWh, which are our high use months. Ouch. We might start at 25%.

BuffaloStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1136 on: January 22, 2019, 07:57:08 AM »

Mine would be $30/ month extra for 400kWh, which are our high use months. Ouch. We might start at 25%.

This is something I need to look into. I know it's not super expensive here in Colorado, but I also need to get a better understanding of how much kWh we use each month (my wife pays that bill, so I usually never look at it).

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1137 on: January 24, 2019, 11:52:35 PM »
Husband cleaned out the filter for the air con, now it runs far more efficiently. It would be even better not to have air con, but this is summer in Australia.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1138 on: January 25, 2019, 12:39:34 AM »
Husband cleaned out the filter for the air con, now it runs far more efficiently. It would be even better not to have air con, but this is summer in Australia.
This is a good reminder that I need to work out how to do this on ours. At least we've gotten away without using ours the past week with the very unseasonably cool weather.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1139 on: January 25, 2019, 07:17:55 AM »
I've been working on easy sauces that I can make from scratch, so that I'm not using something that comes in packaging. Given my current dietary goals, I'm also looking for dairy free ones. The taco salad dressing was a win (uses hemp hearts as the base!), but the peanut sauce I tried wasn't quite "it". Hoping this reduces things like BBQ sauce (although we buy ours in glass containers already).

Husband has switched from coffee to green tea for days he's home. Anyone know the relative footprints and ethical considerations on the two crops? Either way, his green tea is all paper packaging, whereas coffee bags are often plastic lined, so that's a bit of plastic waste cut out/down.

Raenia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1140 on: January 25, 2019, 10:47:54 AM »
I've been working on easy sauces that I can make from scratch, so that I'm not using something that comes in packaging. Given my current dietary goals, I'm also looking for dairy free ones. The taco salad dressing was a win (uses hemp hearts as the base!), but the peanut sauce I tried wasn't quite "it". Hoping this reduces things like BBQ sauce (although we buy ours in glass containers already).

Husband has switched from coffee to green tea for days he's home. Anyone know the relative footprints and ethical considerations on the two crops? Either way, his green tea is all paper packaging, whereas coffee bags are often plastic lined, so that's a bit of plastic waste cut out/down.

I made teriyaki sauce from scratch once, it was relatively easy and very tasty - I liked the ability to tune the sweetness, too.  I've been meaning to make it again, just haven't actually made stir-fry recently.  I've also made a cranberry ketchup that we really like as a chicken marinade, or to put on homemade fries, but I wouldn't call that an easy recipe.

What kinds of cuisine do you tend to eat?

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1141 on: January 25, 2019, 11:13:37 AM »

As far as I know tea is more environmentally friendly than coffee. Not sure why and by how much, but it's one of the things i remember from a carbon footprint calculator i used ages ago.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 04:15:20 AM by Hirondelle »

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1142 on: January 26, 2019, 08:25:06 PM »
Convinced husband to fix the cheap, crappy desk our toddler damaged, so we can find it a new home rather than it ending up in landfill. (Trying NOT to complain about him letting the toddler damage furniture...)

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
    • I found happiness! Now what!?
« Reply #1143 on: January 26, 2019, 08:54:50 PM »
Carried the few soft plastic bags I can't avoid back to the store to recycle them.  Need to get myself back into a practice of saving them all and reducing them wherever possible.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1144 on: January 27, 2019, 02:21:30 AM »
Discovered an open tube of superglue. These seem to dry up within a week or two of being opened, so I figured I'd better take my chance: fixed a laundry basket, a toy and a handful of books.

If I have the energy, tomorrow will be mending loose and missing buttons day.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1145 on: January 28, 2019, 03:43:23 AM »
Got a whole pile of work clothes from a friend who was going to throw them away. She buys a lot of fast fashion, but she's also losing a lot of weight (which I really admire her for! She's doing great!) so after a few wears she's done with them. By now, half of my wardrobe consists of items I get from her.

I don't keep everything she gives me, what I don't keep I recycle. I'd rather have her stop buying alltogether, but this is the best alternative in the current circumstances. She has a much better sense of style than I do and she loves shopping while I hate it, so it's pretty convenient for me too. It's just a shame that many of those fast fashion items are poor quality that don't last very long.

We also had vegan food all weekend and I'm going to do some mending / tailoring of clothes tomorrow.

mies

• Bristles
« Reply #1146 on: January 28, 2019, 05:08:30 AM »
I continued the process of eliminating fluorescent and incandescent bulbs in my house. I decided to switch all my E25 garage lights from CFL to LED. That will cut my energy use out there in half. Originally, I was just going to leave the garage with the CFL bulbs, but the prices are low enough on LED bulbs, I figured why not. I still need to convert some old T8 tubes to LED in the garage, but Iím deciding whether to just buy LED tubes that work with the ballast or convert the fixture to use nonshunted LED tubes. There are also some halogen flood lights on the outside of the garage I need to convert. We donít use that much at all, but I still want to convert them for the sake of completeness and consistency.

I also recycled all the CFL bulbs and some old burned out UV tubes my wife uses for her reptile. Sadly, there doesnít seem to be anyplace that will recycle fluorescent tubes for free. Thereís a store called Batteries+Bulbs that will recycle them, but they charge $0.86 per tube. Disposal is another reason I want to get away from fluorescent bulbs and tubes.

Fishindude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1147 on: January 29, 2019, 12:24:09 PM »
Burning wood to heat the house last few days, it's 10 F today and supposed to be below zero tomorrow.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1148 on: January 29, 2019, 02:07:50 PM »
My heating was broken over the weekend. 2 days of no heating and hot water costs. Let's look at the bright side and say I helped save the environment?

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1149 on: January 29, 2019, 06:14:45 PM »
Used bird seed for traction on the ice instead of salt.  Shoveled by hand the driveway instead of hiring a guy with a plow.