Author Topic: What small things did you do today that were foolish money wasters?  (Read 30895 times)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
Re: What small things did you do today that were foolish money wasters?
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2014, 03:32:46 AM »
I bought engine coolant at full price rather than waiting for a sale.

I panicked when the "low coolant" light flashed and went into the nearest gas station, where I knew the cost would be high.

Neither foolish nor a waste, unless as opposed to always keeping some in the car. Overpriced coolant is much cheaper than a new engine.

Nissykins

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2014, 04:21:49 AM »
I just wanted to say that I love this thread. I tend to really beat myself up when making a money 'mistake', and it's great to hear that even other financially careful people have lapses sometimes. Mine for this week was the fact that I procrastinated on filing my taxes, and the price for Turbotax online went up $25 while I waited.

nosyparker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2014, 04:30:20 AM »
I've been dicking around reading about ER instead of racking up freelance hours.

yip, know that one!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2014, 04:39:28 AM »
I didn't plan well this week and have bought lunch at work 3 out of 4 days so far.  Yuck!

Can you stash some food at work? That's working out really well for me. I have a stash of bread, peanut butter, honey, yogurt and granola.
I do at least have a snack stash, but not a great full meal stash.  We were just switched from cubes to tiny desks, so my space is fairly limited, though I do have access to a walk in fridge where I could keep whatever I want.  I'll have to work on this!

Canned soup is an excellent standby. Even if you get the bowl-shaped ones that are like $2/ea, still cheaper than eating out.
With my food allergies, that doesn't usually work.

Because of this though, I remembered some stew my mom made for me that's in the freezer.  It's going with me to work today!

NeverWasACornflakeGirl

• Stubble
    • Mommy Won't Work
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2014, 04:51:39 AM »
Drove to work today instead of taking the bus because it was pouring rain.  Yes, I had my bedpan and catheter right next to me.... 

Khan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2014, 05:25:26 AM »
I'd say you should have shopped around.  Online that could have been had new for half the price.  B&M  Retail stores are notoriously overpriced..  could have even gotten it down to 25 bucks by being patient with CL.  Mustachian to attend a free course and increase your own personal maint. knowledge though.

I'll come at this from the other side, you supported your local bike shop.

boogiewoogie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2014, 05:57:03 AM »
I opened up my gambling account and had a few losing bets! I guess, if you're going to lose money you might as well do it in an exciting manner. Somebody punch me.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2014, 06:42:20 AM »
totally out of it this morning... not only did I almost leave my keys at yoga but I forgot to bring a breakfast muffin!! I just can't skip breakfast so I bought a sandwich downstairs for $3.15... and all this after I went through the extra effort Monday night to make sure I would have delicious and healthy muffins for today. I consoled myself by remembering that forgetting breakfast is much cheaper than forgetting lunch (and I have some chipotle chicken chowder and a tamale for lunch, mmmm)

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2014, 09:56:57 AM »
I lost my car key and now will probably have to pay to get the car towed and the key replaced.  I think my forgetfulness budget might be higher than anything else at the moment.

Mmm, I know the replacement fee on a number of new cars can be insane. Volvo used to charge $300 or more back in 2000 with the S60, and I'm sure it's higher now.
Another great advantage of driving old cars! Less than two dollars a pop at Lowe's.

Don't all cars let you open them manually by twisting a "dumb" key in the door anyway? That way, you enjoy the remote unlocking until the original smart key is lost, but don't have to pay for an expensive replacement?

Bookworm

« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2014, 12:55:34 PM »
I did the DUMBEST thing.  I went to pay off my credit card balance, and accidentally made the electronic payment from the wrong account (picked the wrong one from the pull-down menu), so both the bank and the credit card company charged me NSF fees.  I didn't notice for a week or so until the payment never cleared from the right account, and by that time, the credit card company had tried THREE times to process the payment, and the bank charged $35 for NSF every time.  That one little clicking error was really expensive!

spider1204

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2014, 01:15:03 PM »
I lost my car key and now will probably have to pay to get the car towed and the key replaced.  I think my forgetfulness budget might be higher than anything else at the moment.

Mmm, I know the replacement fee on a number of new cars can be insane. Volvo used to charge $300 or more back in 2000 with the S60, and I'm sure it's higher now.
Another great advantage of driving old cars! Less than two dollars a pop at Lowe's.

Don't all cars let you open them manually by twisting a "dumb" key in the door anyway? That way, you enjoy the remote unlocking until the original smart key is lost, but don't have to pay for an expensive replacement?

Even the "dumb" key appears to have to be coded with software I think.  It's gonna end up costing ~$200 total for my misplacement.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2014, 02:00:01 PM »
I didn't manage my time well this morning and had to pay $9 cab fare to get a ride to my train on time.

:(

Time really does = money. I'm realizing I need to work on my time management skills.

data.Damnation

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2014, 02:39:51 PM »
Bought new tires on tirerack for my wife's car and forgot to use the $10 coupon that tirerack offers through their recommended installers page.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2014, 04:29:42 PM »
Bought new tires on tirerack for my wife's car and forgot to use the $10 coupon that tirerack offers through their recommended installers page.

Call them and explain. Email the coupon to them. Go back if it's not out of the way and ask for an adjustment/credit. Can't hurt, right?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2014, 10:31:03 PM »
I couldn't find my can opener to open the can of soup I brought for lunch, so went over to Wal-Mart and proceeded to spend $18 on lunch and various other crap, such as a $5 bag of chocolates to share at my all-day working meeting.

There is a can opener in the break room, which I remembered before I left the building.  But did I turn back around and open that can of soup?  NO.

DaKini

• Bristles
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2014, 12:44:20 AM »
Did not bring lunch yesterday and headed to a canteen. Spent 2,50 there.
However this was offset by socializing with coworkers...

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2014, 06:03:48 AM »
Worked until 7:30 pm and drove three miles out of my way to go into town and pick up pizza on my way home. Fortunately (or not, since I feel I can justify it) one $5 pizza feeds us both. The primary damage is health, not finances.

serhomeslice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FI or die...
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2014, 07:10:51 AM »
I spent money on a bottle of water yesterday($2) at the ballpark.  One of my biggest pet peeves, but we forgot water and me and my son were thirsty.  The fountains are close to undrinkable. 

At least the proceeds help out the ballpark but I'm still mad about it. 

Also, I work in foodservice, and I highly recommend not eating leftovers that have been left out overnight.  The one time you get food poisoning will fix this very quickly.  It is amazing how quickly little bad things grow on food - even vegetarian food. 

Jomar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2014, 01:29:57 PM »
I might need someone to rule on this for me, whether this was a money waster or good mustacian spending. I attended a bike maintenance course on the weekend, which taught me some revelations - like that bikes need to be oiled! Wow. SO the course was free, but after learning how to do it, I "needed" the tools.
Instead of shopping around, I just went to the bike shop and bought a floor pump, lights, oil and a few other bits. Spent around $100 all up - but that now means I feel comfortable going for longer rides in my quest to get fit enough to start bike commuting.

If they give you the knowledge for free, I say don't worry about cost, buy it from them. You could take the free workshop and then buy elsewhere for cheaper, but part of mustachianism is responsibility to others, I say you did well.

+1 As a former bike shop manager, I whole-heartedly agree. I often spent good chunks of my day in the bike shop explaining to people how to fix their own bikes, no charge. Plus we ran free public clinics. It would piss me off if people took advantage of my knowledge and then went out and bought their tools on Amazon rather than support my shop and me.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2014, 02:01:48 PM »
I might need someone to rule on this for me, whether this was a money waster or good mustacian spending. I attended a bike maintenance course on the weekend, which taught me some revelations - like that bikes need to be oiled! Wow. SO the course was free, but after learning how to do it, I "needed" the tools.
Instead of shopping around, I just went to the bike shop and bought a floor pump, lights, oil and a few other bits. Spent around $100 all up - but that now means I feel comfortable going for longer rides in my quest to get fit enough to start bike commuting.

If they give you the knowledge for free, I say don't worry about cost, buy it from them. You could take the free workshop and then buy elsewhere for cheaper, but part of mustachianism is responsibility to others, I say you did well.

+1 As a former bike shop manager, I whole-heartedly agree. I often spent good chunks of my day in the bike shop explaining to people how to fix their own bikes, no charge. Plus we ran free public clinics. It would piss me off if people took advantage of my knowledge and then went out and bought their tools on Amazon rather than support my shop and me.

Another +1 on supporting a local shop. I always buy my biking things from the shop next to my work. I love how close it is and I want them to stay open! They are also awesome, sometimes going 'oh, such and such is cheaper and better quality!,' not to mention all the free bike tips.

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2014, 03:01:29 PM »
Yesterday I had an important meeting (non-work related) over my lunch hour, so I didn't eat any lunch, and by the end of the work day I was SO STARVING and craving a Hardee's mushroom & swiss sandwich.  So I bought one.  And fries.   Oh the shame....

spider1204

• Stubble
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2014, 04:10:26 PM »
Well I caved and paid the $160 for a replacement key yesterday, which of course means that I found the missing key this morning!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2014, 09:37:52 PM »
Last night we were over at our old house getting it cleaned up to put on the market.  I spaced and left the pressure washer sitting out in plain view of the sketchy neighbors, who I'm sure know the place is vacant.  So this morning I drove back there (38 miles round trip) to go move it to a safe location.  At least it didn't get stolen.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2014, 02:04:08 PM »
Bought an Izze soda when I could have just asked for a cup of water. After 2 hours at the DMV I was thirsty and feeling sorry for myself.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2014, 02:11:21 PM »
New tennis season coming, re-grip and restring all 4 my racquets.  Really i probably could have played fine with them, good thing is I own a personal stringer or it's about $40 (String+regrip) per racquet at the store.  Instead it's more like $8 per... still kinda a waste.  Oh well.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2014, 02:24:12 PM »
This morning I paid $20 for the privilege of spending an hour in a noisy room flinging little pieces of lead 25 yards away from where I was sitting.  Looking forward to doing it again.

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2014, 02:25:24 PM »
This morning I paid $20 for the privilege of spending an hour in a noisy room flinging little pieces of lead 25 yards away from where I was sitting.  Looking forward to doing it again.
Are those the little pieces of lead that are designed to make red holes in things that breathe?

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2014, 02:27:03 PM »
My daughter recently became a Mary Kay rep. In a moment of weakness I bought some of her products. It will take ages for me to use the stuff so at least I won't be buying any more for a while but still I had to give myself a face punch. It was an outrageous $50 for some hand lotion stuff and a mascara.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2014, 02:37:51 PM »
Are those the little pieces of lead that are designed to make red holes in things that breathe?

During hunting season, yes.  Otherwise they are for punching high speed holes in paper.

Weyfarere

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2014, 06:32:10 PM »
I overslept this morning and woke up about 40 minutes before my flight was scheduled to leave from an airport 20+ minutes away.

I think the flight rescheduling cost me at least $200.

NeverWasACornflakeGirl

• Stubble
    • Mommy Won't Work
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2014, 04:40:59 AM »
Had to get our car inspected and we couldn't find the registration.  The sticker was on the car, but the paper was not in the car.  So I spent $10 at AAA to get a new registration printed (tried to find a way to print one from the PA DMV site, but no luck).  Later that day I found the original registration in my office.  Doh!

Bookworm

« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2014, 05:13:06 AM »
I got some upsetting news over the phone, had a crying meltdown, and then soothed myself with a huge $6 meal at Jack in the Box that neither my 'stache nor my waistline appreciated.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2014, 05:40:33 AM »
I will be playing in a hockey tournament next month, which requires me to be a member of USA Hockey.  Rather than check my membership status, I got on their website and plunked down $40 for a new membership.  I saw that it was valid until August 2015, which probably meant that the membership I bought last year at this time was valid until August 2014...which meant that I had just wasted $40.  Sigh--tuition of life!

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2014, 07:20:02 AM »
Husband out of town yesterday and today ... which means this pregger girl barely slept last night :(  ... which led to me calling in to work sick for 2 hours ... which further led me to take a $8 cab to work to get to work on time :(

Duh

ms

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2014, 07:41:50 AM »
I can think of two things easily:

1. Driving 10mins all the way to Walmart to purchase one of those plastic inserts in a paint tray.  Getting there and finding they don't have any large size ones unless you buy a whole $8 kit.  Then driving home empty handed and using the existing paint tray without the insert vowing to clean it of paint instead when I'm done painting.
2. Allowing data while roaming and not double checking that I'm in fact on the hotel wifi and then sending my sister a picture from my phone.. a picture that cost $4.75 in roaming data.

Sigh.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2014, 06:54:01 PM »
I drove my car (mustang convertible) the long way to work today on a curvy/fun back road because the weather was really nice. It's not crazy out of the way, but it definitely adds 5 minutes to the drive.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2014, 10:15:10 PM »
Got TP at Walgreens because roomie and I both stupidly forgot to pick some up at Meijer the last few weeks, and now have no time to go. Also had to grab bottled water because I forgot my bottle and had a 4 hour exam to go to.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2014, 10:55:38 PM »
ate one extra meal than I needed. Should have saved that in the freezer.

Serve&Volley88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2014, 05:53:00 PM »
I made this nice chickpea dish last night with the intent of eating it for dinner for the remainder of this week. But as soon as I walked in the door the desire for pizza overtook me. It was incredibly good pizza, but a $15 hit to my entertainment budget.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #89 on: April 09, 2014, 05:56:56 PM »
Bought sesame oil at the store on my bike ride home from the train station.  Shit's expensive.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2014, 10:03:39 AM »
Yesterday, I got a phone call at 3 am and another at 5:30 am, so needless to say I was pretty tired in the morning. In addition to forgetting to pack a lunch, I was too tired to cook breakfast, so I purchased both from fast food places by my work:

Breakfast $5
Lunch $10

Then when I got home I discovered I turned on the stove out of habit (I usually cook myself eggs in the morning) and then forgot about it, so the stove was on all day.

garion

• Stubble
« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2014, 11:17:51 AM »
Bought lunch at Whole Foods :(. The whole story is, I messed up a slow cooker recipe yesterday, so it wasn't very tasty and leftovers were the only thing in the house for me to bring for lunch today... And I just couldn't do it! That'll teach me to skim slow cooker recipes.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2014, 11:25:19 AM »
Then when I got home I discovered I turned on the stove out of habit (I usually cook myself eggs in the morning) and then forgot about it, so the stove was on all day.

realized this morning I left the oven on "warm" overnight. I had been making beer battered fish tacos and planned on putting them into the oven to keep warm as each batch finished, but I forgot. arrrrgggghhh.

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2014, 08:29:59 PM »
Spent a bit too much on food and drink out this weekend. I feel like some of this is important, because I'm new to town and live alone and socialization is important, but I could have been a little more creative in suggesting things to do besides go out to eat.

FIRE Realtor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Frugal Vegan Mom
« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2014, 09:55:46 PM »
I drove 25 minutes round trip to the credit union to deposit a couple of non-urgent checks.  I had mentioned it to my 3 year old and she kept asking to go so this was our outing for the morning (they have a play area... and coffee and newspapers...)  hey I guess those perks make it cheaper than hanging out at a coffee shop!  But it still felt wasteful to drive so far when we didn't have to. 

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2014, 12:26:24 AM »
Bought a ham and turkey sub from Subway. All of that advertising for $5 footlongs finally got to me, and I had to enjoy a freshly toasted sub.

The best part of the sub was the creamy sriracha I got on it. Yum.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2014, 07:36:34 AM »
Bought lunch at Whole Foods :(. The whole story is, I messed up a slow cooker recipe yesterday, so it wasn't very tasty and leftovers were the only thing in the house for me to bring for lunch today... And I just couldn't do it! That'll teach me to skim slow cooker recipes.

SHIT!  This just reminded me that I didn't turn on my crockpot for my Mexican chicken this morning!  I put it together last night and walked out the door this morning with it still in the fridge.  Leftover Chicken Tikka for dinner AGAIN.  It's good, but I'm tired of it...

NeverWasACornflakeGirl

• Stubble
    • Mommy Won't Work
« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2014, 08:09:14 AM »
I seem to be doing better today, but I got a great part-time, post-retirement job offer for when I'm done with my current full time gig (June 2), and we went a little wild over the weekend on eating out because we were in "celebration" mode.  :-(

Brought my lunch today, though, and will stick to my guns even though my coworkers are pressuring me to eat out.  Because of where they're going I can just heat up my lunch and eat with them.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2014, 08:21:10 AM »

SHIT!  This just reminded me that I didn't turn on my crockpot for my Mexican chicken this morning!  I put it together last night and walked out the door this morning with it still in the fridge.  Leftover Chicken Tikka for dinner AGAIN.  It's good, but I'm tired of it...

At least you didn't set it on the counter and then forget to  turn it on. I've totally done that.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
Dropped a container of butter on the kitchen tiles. It shattered and had to be thrown out.

Not half an hour afterwards, dropped a container of homemade curry on the kitchen tiles. Container shattered and again, the whole thing had to be thrown out.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!