Author Topic: What small things did you do today that were foolish money wasters?  (Read 30938 times)

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
Re: What small things did you do today that were foolish money wasters?
« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2014, 09:08:01 PM »
Happier, I think you should stay out of the kitchen for the rest of the day.  ;)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2014, 09:28:58 PM »
Happier, I think you should stay out of the kitchen for the rest of the day.  ;)

Yeah, I gave up after that and left for work. Otherwise I would have needed all new kitchen appliances, crockery etc by the time I was done...

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2014, 09:29:36 PM »
Let my offspring blow $25 at a local amusement park on the following:  3 games (all involving shooting a basketball) and 1 glitter tattoo.  They seemed happy with it all, and the basketball games netted us three more basketballs as prizes, but we do not need more basketballs.  And the temporary tattoo is just pointless.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: May 12, 2014, 08:10:20 AM »
I've been dicking around reading about ER instead of racking up freelance hours.

HA! *ding ding* We have a winner. I try not to even open my personal browser until after lunch and just workworkwork the morning hours.

Didn't make that goal today!

Quark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #104 on: May 13, 2014, 09:33:10 AM »
I lost my car key and now will probably have to pay to get the car towed and the key replaced.  I think my forgetfulness budget might be higher than anything else at the moment.

I DID THE SAME THING!!  Only I dropped mine in a school parking lot at a weekend festival and when I called them on Monday morning, 8am, they had already THROWN THE KEY IN THE DUMPSTER. Who frickin throws car keys away??!!

Quark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #105 on: May 13, 2014, 09:35:25 AM »
I didn't plan well this week and have bought lunch at work 3 out of 4 days so far.  Yuck!

Can you stash some food at work? That's working out really well for me. I have a stash of bread, peanut butter, honey, yogurt and granola.
I do at least have a snack stash, but not a great full meal stash.  We were just switched from cubes to tiny desks, so my space is fairly limited, though I do have access to a walk in fridge where I could keep whatever I want.  I'll have to work on this!

Canned soup is an excellent standby. Even if you get the bowl-shaped ones that are like $2/ea, still cheaper than eating out.

I require at least 1000 calories for lunch. How many bowls of soup would that be? Probably at least 3 or 4, so not really cost effective. I'd rather go to the nearby Vietnamese place and get a giant bowl of pho for $7.

Quark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #106 on: May 13, 2014, 09:41:04 AM »
I spent money on a bottle of water yesterday($2) at the ballpark.  One of my biggest pet peeves, but we forgot water and me and my son were thirsty.  The fountains are close to undrinkable. 

At least the proceeds help out the ballpark but I'm still mad about it. 

Also, I work in foodservice, and I highly recommend not eating leftovers that have been left out overnight.  The one time you get food poisoning will fix this very quickly.  It is amazing how quickly little bad things grow on food - even vegetarian food.

YMMV but I have eaten tons of questionable food from my own kitchen my entire life, never been sick. I usually heat it up again thoroughly. Both food poisoning occurances were from restaurants.!