Author Topic: What should I use my Vitamix for?  (Read 4362 times)

McGeens

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What should I use my Vitamix for?
« on: August 16, 2015, 09:36:21 PM »
Hi Mustachians,
I happened upon a virtually unused commercial Vitamix at the op shop for $20 and snapped it up. I thought they were good, but have since done some research and didn't realise quite how attached some folk are! And how expensive they are to buy new-gulp!!

I bought it to replace my stick blender, which I use to make smoothies (banana, berry, yoghurt, milk) for my kids, plus liquidising soups and sauces. These are all the job of the new Vitamix now!

I'm after advice on what to use the new toy for! Are green smoothies really that great? And to make nut butters, can I make a small batch or is it better to make in bulk?

Any Vitamix tips are really appreciated!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 09:43:27 PM by McGeens »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
Re: What should I use my Vitamix for?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 10:12:31 PM »
Wow, lucky you!  I have a Blendtec and in addition to smoothies, use it for:

Guacamole
Tahini
Hummus
Pesto
Nut butters
Coconut butter
Pate
Banana "ice cream" (frozen bananas)
Homemade hot sauce/chile paste
Homemade dressings
Mayo
Green soup

I'm growing dent corn right now and expect to grind it into cornmeal with my blender as well.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 12:39:17 PM »
I consider the Vitamix my wife and I bought new to be the best major purchase we've made together. We had wanted one for a long time, then my BIL turned us on to green smoothies with a book by Green Smoothie Girl. At first we tried out the idea with the food processor we already had - not optimal, but it did provide enough proof of concept for us to go out and purchase a cheap blender. The cheap blender provided a green smoothie a day for a month or two before the seal on the blade assembly wore out, but we knew that we would actually use the Vitamix enough to justify the cost. You do have to choose the ingredients of a green smoothie carefully. We like chard, kale, and spinach in green smoothies. Many lettuces are surprisingly bitter when made into a green smoothie - and do not try arugala in a green smoothie. Tropical fruits (banana & pinaple) can really counter the bitterness of some greens. I like to fill the jar about 15-20% with water, add greens to loosly fill to the top, and any fresh fruits, then top off with frozen fruit. I don't even need the tamper most of the time (depends on the size of the frozen chunks) - the weight of the fruit usually is enough to push everything down until it's a fairly fluid mix. You might try less greens at first as you get used to it. The greens certainly make the finished smoothie not look as appealing, but I was surprised at how much the fruit can dominate the flavor.

We've also used our Vitamix for ice cream (soft serve from cream and ice + flavor and sweetener), soups, nut butters, wheat flour & dough (using the dry grinding jar - but cleaning the jar after making dough was not worth it).

Easye418

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 01:49:52 PM »
Hi Mustachians,
I happened upon a virtually unused commercial Vitamix at the op shop for $20 and snapped it up. I thought they were good, but have since done some research and didn't realise quite how attached some folk are! And how expensive they are to buy new-gulp!!

I bought it to replace my stick blender, which I use to make smoothies (banana, berry, yoghurt, milk) for my kids, plus liquidising soups and sauces. These are all the job of the new Vitamix now!

I'm after advice on what to use the new toy for! Are green smoothies really that great? And to make nut butters, can I make a small batch or is it better to make in bulk?

Any Vitamix tips are really appreciated!

Too many to list.  I have literally made A TON of stuff in mine.  I inherited mine and it is wonderful. 

Matt_D

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 02:09:34 PM »
I consider the Vitamix my wife...

I'm aware there was more sentence beyond this, but I read just these words and thought maybe you were taking things just a BIT far.

HP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 09:33:30 PM »
A "Will it Blend" episode?

bsmith

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 10:17:28 PM »
I got a blender and use it to puree kale and carrots. It's a ratio of one bag of kale and 3 bags of carrots. Then I put it in little cream cheese containers and freeze it. You can add it to almost anything, like spaghetti sauce, and you won't taste kale or carrots either. I throw it in everything for the health factor. I've put it in alfredo sauce, and that was passable, but everything else you can't taste it. I'd say about half a cup to a cup, depending on how many people you're feeding and how much they hate the taste of "green".

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 10:36:49 PM »
Today I made cauliflower cake, which calls for like 2 cups of grated Parmesan cheese.  Instead I cut it in 1" squares and dropped it in the Blendtec.  Worked perfectly and the cauliflower cake came out ligher and fluffier than it ever has before.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 04:38:53 PM »
I consider the Vitamix my wife...

I'm aware there was more sentence beyond this, but I read just these words and thought maybe you were taking things just a BIT far.
(-; Not that this sentence represents my opinion, but I could see the ease of preparing food in a Vitamix being an important feature to a bachellor who has limited cooking skills.

Civex

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 09:02:44 PM »
Cashew alfredo sauce.

1 pound fettucine
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup raw cashews or blanched almonds*
2 cups water
2 teaspoons white miso paste, optional (Except I think this is totally not optional.)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Chopped fresh Italian parsley, for garnish
Bring a pot of heavily salted water to a boil.  Add fettucine and cook according to package directions.  Drain and return to pot. 

Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.  Add onions and let cook until soft.  Add garlic and let cook a few more minutes.  Remove from heat.

In a blender, combine onions and garlic, cashews, water, miso paste if desired (again, yes, add the miso), lemon juice, salt, and pepper.  Process on high until very smooth, about 2 minutes.

Toss hot pasta with sauce until noodles are evenly coated.  Adjust seasoning to taste.  If sauce gets too thick, add a little water, 1 tablespoon at a time.  Garnish with parsley and serve. 

**Boom, done. Easy, awesome, and healthy.**

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 10:31:27 PM »
Vitamix is the best, but I make do with a fine good quality blender and use the recipes from "Energize your Life" and "Perfect smoothies and Juices"
for our weekend brunches and the occasional pick me up during the week.

Here is an easy one called VITAL FORCE  - immune booster
9 oz fresh beet
1/2 in piece of fresh horseradish
1/2 grapefruit

1. Juice all three ingredients and mix well
2. Pour into a small tumbler and serve with a little extra grated horseradish

Benefits - Energy boost - five stars
Nutrients: Vitamin C and folate , copper, iron, magnesium, zinc
Body Benefits: Immune System, blood, tissue-helaing, blood fats, detoxifying
Helps fight infection

Melon Magic - aperitif - awaken your appetite:) tastes good and is good for you:)
1/4 water melon
1/4 cantaloupe melon
1/4 honeydew melon
1 pinch cinnamon

1. Peel and seed the melons
2. Blend together. Serve poured over ice cubes in a tall glass
3. Garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon

Energy Boost - five stars
Nutrients: Vitamin A, copper
Body benefits: Skin, immune & nervous systems, blood and bones

Last one - called four seasons SPRING - is really a version of my grandma's recipe for detoxifying every spring
Highly recommend this one!

1/2 cucumber - 1 scallion, 2 carrots, 1 stalk celery - my tip: use only the tender parts inside and the leaves, not the bitter hard outside stalks.
1 handful dandelion leaves (if you can't get them - your health food store carries dandelion tea - works the same:), 1 pinch thyme (you know those little herb plants that Lowes and Home Depot sells or grow your own:), and 1 pinch salt.

1. Juice the cucumber, scallion, celery and dandelion leaves.
2. Add the thyme and salt - mix well
3. Serve chilled

Energy boost - 4 stars
Nutrients: Vitamin A, K, B & folate, calcium, iron, manganese and zinc.
Body Benefits: Digestive, urinary & immune systems, detoxifying.

The smoothie book has a nice variety like apricot and orange smoothies, tomato blazer, or one called Black and Blue - which is blackberry, blueberries, ice cold water and yoghurt, tropical fruit smoothies ...

Two of my favs are carrot cocktail and detox special - both simple cheap and yummy.

CARROT COCKTAIL pretty orange smoothie
3 oz/85g raw carrots, rougly chopped
1 1/2 medium pineapple, rougly chopped
1 tsp lemon juice and 1 tbsp honey

Place in blender until you have a smoothie - pour over ice, serve with a sprig of mint:)

DETOX SPECIAL - kiwi green smoothie:)
1 mango
4 kiwis
1 1/2 cups pineapple juice and 4 fresh mint leaves

1. Cut mango into 2 thick slices as close to the pit as possible. Chop coarsely. Cut off any flesh adhering to the pit. Peel the kiwis and chop.
2. Place all ingredients in your blender and process to smoothie consistency.

Hope that helps with a few specifics - I often just buy whatever fruit is on sale - add ice cream or yoghurt or orange juice or milk or sparkiling water - blend it up and call it our special of the day:)
But honestly, how can you resist trying out coconut cream - peppermint refresher - raspberry ripple rice cream - going bananas - midsummer smoothie iced coffee and chocolate crush -fig and maple melter,  mocha cream or the red reviver and the green goddess.
Just think of your favorite fruits and veggies and concoct your own or find a recipe on line.

Enjoy that Vitamix:)!