Author Topic: What should I do about this BS work assignment?  (Read 4746 times)

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
What should I do about this BS work assignment?
« on: March 20, 2019, 11:39:06 AM »
For my job, our corporate headquarters had a department that is of the same function.  It’s complete BS.  They have 7 people and “organize” all the units around the world in this function.  They also appear to have an unlimited budget as they fly all around the world and have these bullshit “workshops” that I don’t get to attend because the same corporate headquarters has put a super strict expense restriction on my unit, so much that I can’t even get my projects done.  Literally, this corporate headquarters function has done NOTHING for me and my unit.  But what they do is give me all this paper pushing work I need to do every years and force me to attend meeting that aren’t helpful at all.  I’d say the total time for this crap is 50 hours/year for which we get 0 value.  All it does is lets this corporate unit to take credit for the work I do.  Seriously, there is no need for the unit at all, much less 7 people!!!
So they want me to create a little video for this workshop and to send to senior management of the company extoling the benefit of this function, and the thing I’m most proud of.  They are requiring I use my own smart phone, for which the company doesn’t subsidize in any way, to make this video.  I also am not comfortable being taped.  I am sensitive about my looks and don’t want a video of me.
I have a huge bonus coming in 10 days and don’t want to jeopardize it.   I think even if I gave 2 weeks notice today I would still get it, but not 100% sure of that.
What should I do?
1.   Do this video and be somewhat civil (maybe put in a couple digs on how much I’m limited by expense controls), but wear my sunglasses or make the room really dark.
2.   Just don’t do it.  This could get political.  Apparently every other unit has completed this and they don’t want execs at the corporate to ask our CEO why is wasn’t done (I think the chances of this are slim, but whatever)
3.   Upload a video of some birds mating and give notice to quit. 

Any better ideas?

brute

• Pencil Stache
Re: What should I do about this BS work assignment?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 11:51:06 AM »
Can you find a way to get really sick until your bonus hits, then quit?

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 11:56:30 AM »
Can you find a way to get really sick until your bonus hits, then quit?

I have a bunch of accrued time off that I should really use up before I quit because I'm not sure they would comp me for it.  I was planning to take some time off in April to catch up.  It doesn't get me out of doing the video. (although the sick excuse might)

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 12:03:59 PM »
Narrate a Power Point that documents your main points, rather than showing yourself in the video.

There used to be a free website that let you make animations with little more work than writing the script, haven't tried it in several years, but surely technology has advanced?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 12:04:26 PM »
Either the powerpoint, or get the "flu".

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 03:00:08 PM »
Is this something you can delegate to someone else in your unit?

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 03:27:05 PM »
I would come up with an extensive but accurate list of things I have to do.  I would then just not do the video and when somebody asks about it say "Oh, I am so sorry.  I have been working on x, y, z and I completely forgot at that video.  I could probably get it done by (pick a date that is a week or 2 after they want it done), after I get these other tasks complete."

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 04:39:27 PM »
Is this something you can delegate to someone else in your unit?

I'm kind of a depart of 1  (actually .625 as I work part time).  It could go to my boss but I don't want to delegate because she's too busy. 

This seriously will only take me a few minutes of work but I feel my blood pressure going up every time I think of it.

This is the crap they send me.  I'm thinking about making it extra crappy. 

Filming:
- Find a well-lit and quiet location.
- Place the smartphone in a landscape (not portrait!) position in front of you, at about 1 arm's length.
- Avoid holding the phone as this can cause too much wobble.

Sending:
It is important that you send the high quality video file, so please follow these instructions:
- Connect your smartphone via USB cable with your laptop.
- Download the video file to your laptop.
- Upload the video file via OneDrive by dragging-and-dropping it to the folder that you open clicking on the link to your BU.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 04:55:02 PM »
I’d just do it, but I would do the narrated PowerPoint. Explain that you don’t have a smart phone or make some other excuse (the camera function is broken or whatever).

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 04:56:15 PM »
I’d just do it, but I would do the narrated PowerPoint. Explain that you don’t have a smart phone or make some other excuse (the camera function is broken or whatever).

Yep. Make it a short PowerPoint, too. And read what's on the slides. Everyone hates that. :)

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 05:15:39 PM »
Either do a PowerPoint with loads of text and no photos, and make it as short as possible, or do a really elaborate thing, like animation with clay figurines doing a 45 minutes enactment of you main accomplishments.

Or ask someone else, who slightly resembles you, to read a script on your behalf. It doesn’t sound like they would notice whether it was you or someone else.

Or, in the name of inclusiveness, find a sign language interpreter and get them to interpret your speech. Bonus points if you “forget” to record the sound.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 05:27:06 PM »
I think I decided to put tape over my camera and just do a voice recording over a black screen.  Or I might quit too.  I've been waiting for the straw that breaks the camels back, but was hoping to stay on thru the summer  (have about 11 weeks vacation to take between now and Sept 1) for the $ and insurance. 

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 05:51:57 PM »
I think I decided to put tape over my camera and just do a voice recording over a black screen.  Or I might quit too.  I've been waiting for the straw that breaks the camels back, but was hoping to stay on thru the summer  (have about 11 weeks vacation to take between now and Sept 1) for the $ and insurance.

Start to take your vacation. And give yourself time to figure out what you want to do.

For me I would play the my cell phone is not new enough for this type of project...and go from there. I would make the company buy a entire set up for this type of thing. I would be the biggest pain in the ass in the world just on principal.

If you must create the video I am sure you can find some program to use using your laptop and only laptop. I would not want to put tape over my cell phone mainly because getting the goo off would take a few minutes and I would be very annoyed that I had to do that. 

Fi(re) on the Farm

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 05:59:12 PM »
Tell Corporate that the camera on your phone doesn't work but if they supply you with one of theirs you'd do it.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 06:36:54 PM »
Painter's tape doesn't leave a gooey mess. Or use a camera in record mode and make it blurry.

Take your vacation and make them reprimand or fire you. No use letting an opportunity like this pass.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2019, 06:37:49 PM »
Submit a file with a movie extension but not a movie.  Oops, it was corrupted, I guess.  Now, I am on vacation.

Good luck!

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2019, 09:26:19 PM »
I'm not really going to tape it.  I think if I lay it on a table with the camera pointing outward it's just a black screen.

But yeah, it's a principle thing more than anything.  Just sick of this BS.  If I weren't worried about burning bridges when I decide to leave, I would write a scathing letter to the CEO about how worthless that department is. 

LightStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2019, 10:10:08 PM »
Definitely tell your boss how you feel. S/he probably will agree that it's a huge waste of time and help you take care of it. If you're going to potentially quit over this, 1000% bet s/he would rather have you not do it and stay.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2019, 05:45:46 AM »
Put a smear of Vaseline on the camera lens, then tell them you need a new phone if they want a better picture.

shingy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2019, 08:14:15 AM »
Maybe I'm missing something here, but if it will only take you a few minutes to do, I'd bite the bullet and just do it, even if it's a waste and the department is worthless. No point in jeopardizing your bonus, accrued vacation, etc for it.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2019, 08:29:36 AM »
Maybe I'm missing something here, but if it will only take you a few minutes to do, I'd bite the bullet and just do it, even if it's a waste and the department is worthless. No point in jeopardizing your bonus, accrued vacation, etc for it.
Yeah. I get that this is a stupid ask and you're burnt out on this type of corporate politics, but you either have FU money or you don't. If it's worth it to you to suck it up and stay on payroll until September 1 then do it. If your numbers work regardless of the golden handcuffs, politely "forget" to do the video. Chances are high you're not going to be fired over this little thing.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2019, 01:38:46 PM »

Yeah. I get that this is a stupid ask and you're burnt out on this type of corporate politics, but you either have FU money or you don't. If it's worth it to you to suck it up and stay on payroll until September 1 then do it. If your numbers work regardless of the golden handcuffs, politely "forget" to do the video. Chances are high you're not going to be fired over this little thing.

Yeah, I pretty much have FU money.  I'm not really worried about getting fired either. 

There have been little work things that I don't give a crap about that I started "misbehaving".  For example, we have a dynamic workspace where we're supposed to clear everything off our desk, put it in a locker, and wipe up our desk as there isn't assigned seating.  I decided that's stupid if I'm going to sit in the same seat everyday, so I lock up my computer and papers everynight and leave everything at the same desk I sit every day.  I'm trying to start a revolution but no one else seems to feel my way and they clean up their desks every day like good boys and girls. 

Retireatee1

• Stubble
    • Retireator.org
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2019, 01:57:50 PM »
If you are going the passive aggressive route, there are a lot of creative possibilities for that damn video! ;-)

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2019, 02:04:48 PM »

This is the crap they send me.  I'm thinking about making it extra crappy. 

I recommend you always do your best work.   

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
    • My Student Loan Refi Story
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2019, 02:43:59 PM »
I'm really not getting this.  Maybe I've been in the corporate world for too long but this seems like a really easy assignment with a lot of upside for you. Does being videoed rise to the level of a phobia for you such that you might qualify for ADA accommodations? In the amount of time you have spent posting here about it, your probably could have had it done.  Could you video yourself behind a desk so that all that anyone sees is your face and not your whole body?

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2019, 02:52:37 PM »
I've been asked to do these types of things many times and I always just say I'm not comfortable doing them. I don't have anything close to FU money but it's important to me to be straightforward. I'm simply not ok doing something that is not an outright job requirement that will be used for marketing/internal marketing, or talking about personal things (why I choose to work here is the current one). There are other ways I step up and "exceed expectations" but using my own phone to video myself or offering details about my life outside of work will never be one of them.

MustacheAnxiety

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2019, 03:31:40 PM »
In my revenge fantasy I would make a video with specific, objective examples that will make it apparent that this group/program is a waste of time and money.  Something much more specific than what was included in the original post.  No adjectives and no complaints about the 7 people in the department you dislike, just your personal experience.

Personally, with a big bonus on the way and a big pile of retirement money, I would likely just say I don't feel comfortable making the video.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2019, 04:51:47 PM »
I'm really not getting this.  Maybe I've been in the corporate world for too long but this seems like a really easy assignment with a lot of upside for you. Does being videoed rise to the level of a phobia for you such that you might qualify for ADA accommodations? In the amount of time you have spent posting here about it, your probably could have had it done.  Could you video yourself behind a desk so that all that anyone sees is your face and not your whole body?

I don't care for any upside at this point in my career.  More concerned about the guts to get out of here in the next year and stop OMYing

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2019, 05:02:45 PM »
Welp I did it.  I HATE listening to my voice.  It's terrible.  I feel physically ill.

frugal rph

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2019, 09:03:55 PM »
Good for you. I hate how my voice sounds too, but I bet nobody else thinks anything of it. I hope you enjoy your bonus!

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2019, 09:36:29 PM »
Welp I did it.  I HATE listening to my voice.  It's terrible.  I feel physically ill.

This might make you feel better.  You are not alone....

http://time.com/4820247/voice-vocal-cords/

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
    • My Student Loan Refi Story
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2019, 07:37:12 AM »
Jo Jo - I want to apologize because my response to you sounded harsher than I intended. Sometimes when I try to be brief I come off curt.  That wasn't my intention.  I'm sorry to hear that this has negatively impacted you so much.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2019, 04:41:28 PM »
Good for you. I know it was hard. If it’s any consolation, the whole debacle was probably so minor that no one paid attention to the quality of your voice. Probably no one thought your voice was as terrible as you think it is, and more likely, nobody cares (not because you’re a bad person but because everyone is more wrapped up in their own problems).

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2019, 07:32:44 PM »
@JoJo - I don't even know you, but I can say with 100% certainty that your voice is a thousand times better than Elizabeth Holmes' voice. You know...for whatever that's worth! :)

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2019, 10:54:36 AM »
@JoJo - I don't even know you, but I can say with 100% certainty that your voice is a thousand times better than Elizabeth Holmes' voice. You know...for whatever that's worth! :)

You do realize she's faking that voice.....  She's a total con artist and I can't wait till they put her in prison.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2019, 05:29:01 PM »

You do realize she's faking that voice.....  She's a total con artist and I can't wait till they put her in prison.

Yes, I do. That's why I felt comfortable making the comment. If it were her real voice, my comment wouldn't be fair. (Is it just me, or do her videos look/sound more like a voiceover than anything that could even remotely "match" the woman speaking?)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!