Author Topic: What shoes do you normally wear?  (Read 9393 times)

Vicster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What shoes do you normally wear?
« on: March 13, 2017, 07:34:23 AM »
Hello All

I'm quite new here and have quite a random question to ask...

I was just wondering what shoes people usually buy/wear.

I usually only have one pair of shoes I wear most the time, a smart pair for work and some trainers.  As summer is on it's way I think I can survive with what I have for a little while, but my main everyday shoes are leaking and will need replacing soon or before winter.

I hate buying shoes at the best of times...I have size 8.5 feet (UK, I think in US that is 10.5) which shoe shops seems to think are giant feet, so I have trouble finding shoes anyway.

My last pair were a pair of pricey 'keen' shoes which were amazing both in terms of comfort and durability, I was just wondering if people have a shoe they find lasts and is amazing in other ways...i.e good value for money

Thanks in advance for any ideas, interested to hear about peoples footwear

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What shoes do you normally wear?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 07:55:11 AM »
http://www.6pm.com/p/ahnu-sugarpine-air-mesh-dark-blue/product/8816964/color/790?gclid=Cj0KEQjwhpnGBRDKpY-My9rdutABEiQAWNcslKeT-J01pICTLfjdZD4ttnG9lTaZoLDq1ZmyV6gpnEcaAs3d8P8HAQ&zhlfid=139&kpid=31252878&ef_id=V44sPQAAASvoSxps:20170313135313:s

I am wearing these, except in black.  I had been looking for truly waterproof light shoes for years for the new england winters and really love these.  The ones I found were about $45 on a seasonal sale and I can stand in puddles without my feet getting wet. 

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 08:26:44 AM »
Dansko walking shoes for work. (I'm on my feet most of the day.)

When I'm not at work, either my Asics trail running shoes (recommended for plantar fasciitis) or Chacos sandals.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 08:29:05 AM »
I wear tennis shoes almost every day.  Thankfully work is casual.

I also have a pair of Toms I wear in the summer when it gets too hot to wear socks. 

I have some winter boots, but only wear them if the snow is bad.

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 08:37:37 AM »
I wear size 13 on my feet so I can't imagine anyone would consider 10.5 at giant!

For me, I have never tried to buy one pair of shoes to fit all situations. I have a pair of dress shoes, generally two pairs of sneakers, one new and my old pair that I use for painting or other projects where I might expect them to get dirty beyond what can be washed out. I also have sandals for summer, leather hiking boots for rugged hikes and a lighter pair for day hikes. I have some insulated waterproof boots for use in snow. I would consider these 7 pairs about the minimum to own for my lifestyle. I also own a pair of non-essential bicycle shoes with built in cleats, a pair of Tevas for more serious hiking in water when you don't want enclosed shoes and maybe another couple pair if I really think about it.  Happy feet make for a happy life.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 08:41:17 AM »
8.5 UK is 9.5 US (that's my size too).

I'm wearing a pair of Merrell's waterproof shoes for winter, as long as there's no snow on the ground, when i switch to boots.

For summer, I have a pair of New Balance sneakers that are still going strong after many years. I had also bought a couple of pairs of Fila sneakers for $15 a pair at Costco, but they wore really quickly and had poor support. The pair that's still around has been relegated to garden duty.

I also bought a pair of Jack Wolfskin sneakers at Sierra Trading Post last year. Once I saw how well made they were, I bought another pair on clearance at The Clymb. So now I have two pairs of unworn sneakers plus the New balance ones. I should be good for a few years.

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 08:43:38 AM »
Converse.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 08:54:05 AM »
I'm a lady but I'll also share what my husband wears.

For the winter, I mostly wear these Ugg Kesey boots: http://www.zappos.com/p/ugg-kesey-chestnut/product/8621888/color/278 I live in the midwest and it's cold and generally snowy, and I've been very impressed with how these leather boots have held up (this is my second full winter wearing them).

For spring/fall, I usually wear a pair of Eddie Bauer suede driving moccasins. For the summer, for work I mostly wear a pair of Minnetonka Moccasin boat shoes to work (brown leather), and for casual evenings/weekends, a pair of Chacos sandals. Sneakers for me are Nikes since they feel the best to me.

For my husband, he has multiple pairs of Clarks and loves them. He's got some Clarks sneakers and a pair of leather shoes he wears to work that look somewhat dressier. He also had good luck with a pair of Ecco shoes for work. And his sneakers are Asics. My husband is a size 11 mens US, and has no problem finding shoes his size.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 09:47:24 AM »
My employer requires steel toe shoes and pays for one pair per year. I wear them pretty much 5 - 6 days a week and they hold up great.
http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/shoes/men/braddock-mid-wp

On the weekends I have some low top keen shoes and for summer / beaches / vacation I have had the same pair of keen sandals for about 7 or 8 years.

Fortunately my personal shoes last a long time and stay in great shape due to work circumstances. 

Hopefully in 5 or so years I can switch to no shoes or flip flops :)

Vicster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 09:47:53 AM »
I wear size 13 on my feet so I can't imagine anyone would consider 10.5 at giant!

Well in terms of women's shoes they never have that size in UK

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 10:09:41 AM »
Thanks in advance for any ideas, interested to hear about peoples footwear

I have difficult feet and if I don't look after them I am literally unable to walk. I wear 3 different pairs of shoes 95% of the time:

- Keen low cut hikers [work and social] = 45% = $111USD
- Crocs [home and social] = 35% = $25USD
- 5.10 mountain bike shoes [biking] = 15% = $100USD

I replace all of the above about once a year as the heels wear out on me. If I push it longer I start to get acute foot pain and will be limping in short order. I've tried lots of shoes and these are the ones that work for me. Given how much I am on my feet and how bad the effects of not looking after them are I do not worry about the cost or try and find cheaper options. When I have in the past I just wasted a bunch of money and didn't find any success.

If I do see a sale I will stock up with a couple pairs, but I don't wait to buy a new pair if my old ones are worn and I can't find a sale.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 10:34:56 AM »

Probably best to order online from a place that offers free shipping. I have no idea what types of options you have in the UK. My sister has a few pairs of Dansko shoes (she's on her feet a lot in a school setting), and they come in larger sizes (she wears 9 or 9.5, I think): http://www.zappos.com/p/dansko-professional-black-box/product/8315096/color/11369

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 11:11:46 AM »
Allen Edmonds, the Road Warrior series is great.  I wait for them to go on sale.  Full price they are almost $300, but you can get them at the factory second store for $180 if you are patient.  Very nice dress shoes that wear exactly like a tennis shoe.  They are awesome.  I also really like that I can get them re-soled after I wear through the soles because of the goodyear welting.  That's a pretty good long term investment, IMO.  Especially since I used to chew through other rubber-soled shoes in less than a year. 

Joseppi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 11:12:16 AM »
Vans...everyone should own a pair.

MrGville

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 12:14:06 PM »

I got my first pair of Vans about a year ago...they are awesome.  And mine were on sale for $25.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 12:47:15 PM »
Another vote for Danskos. (Or Sanita. If I remember my clog history correctly, Sanita was the company that used to make the clogs that were sold under the Dansko name. They separated several years ago, and very good shoes can be found sold under either brand name. I own a few pairs of each (pre-Mustachian idiocy) and can't tell the difference unless I look at the company imprint inside the shoe.) You can find them on sale online, and so far I have not been able to kill them. Some people don't like them, though, because of their height and the possibility of rolling an ankle. Probably about 5 times a year I randomly stumble in them, but it's not bad enough for me to wear something else.

Rimu05

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2017, 01:23:09 PM »
I live in FL and have about six pairs of shoes

2 flats - 1 from payless, 1 from Sperry Top spider on sale for $40. I only ever wear the Sperry Top ones and get lots of compliments.
1 pair of heels - My work shoes that I wear weekday $30 from JC Penney.
1 trainers - I only wear these once a week for my tennis meet up. I haven't worked out in a long time and need to get back into some sport.
2 slippers - One for showering (I don't like showering barefoot and 1 for walking around the house. Yes, I need two slippers.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2017, 01:50:14 PM »
I don't wear shoes in the house, and at the school where I teach, we change into "indoor shoes". My indoor shoes are a pair of converse that I bought for 50 cents at a rummage sale some years ago.)

The only shoes I buy new are a pair of athletic/walking shoes every year, and then the last year's pair gets moved down to yardwork shoe status. Otherwise, I have quite a lot of shoes that I've bought in brand new condition at the thrift store - I particularly like Ecco and Born for comfort and long wear.

Vicster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2017, 02:05:45 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, really interesting....I definitely like getting shoes in the sale can get some good quality ones that way.  I also wear slippers in the house so only wear shoes outside. I do like the look of ecco shoes but they are very expensive over here....will keep an eye out for some sales.

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2017, 02:52:43 PM »

Yes, this is one subject where gender makes a big difference!

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2017, 03:21:10 PM »
I bought a pair of these 56 years ago and worn pretty much everyday since. I'd have to dig around in a closet to find a different pair. Just about worn out though, and I'll probably be picking up another set later this year.

https://www.asolo.com/en/products/backpacking/triple-power-structure/tps-520-gv-evo-chestnut.html

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2017, 06:13:12 PM »
My husband wears slip on Vans as everyday shoes and Allen Edmunds used shoes from eBay for work.

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2017, 06:47:21 PM »
SAS Time Out shoes are expensive, but worth every penny.  They last for up to 10 years and continue to look brand new with very little upkeep.  I've been buying them for about 20 years.  They are extremely comfortable on wide feet:

http://www.zappos.com/p/sas-time-out-black/product/8867055/color/3?ef_id=WMc8UAAABBl7licO:20170314004152:s

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2017, 09:27:14 PM »
(Female)
4 x pairs of sneakers (1 'good'/clean for work, 1 cross trainers, 1 netball, 1 basketball)
2 x Skechers for work
1 x Converse
2 x thongs
1 x sandals

I seem to go through a lot of shoes every year :-/ My thongs last forever, but playing sports every day really wears through sneakers/joggers. I struggle to find comfortable shoes for work & Skechers don't last that long.

MoonLiteNite

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2017, 05:30:43 AM »
I have been wearing my "work shoes" for the last 12 years of my adult life. Since i was 18 i have always had a job that provided me with "Free" shoes, or a decent voucher for safety shoes of some sorts. I just use them in anything i do....

About 9 years ago an ex girlfriend bought me some "converse", i think that is the name, but i have only wear them like once or twice a year if all my blue jeans are dirty and i am wearing shorts or something in public. (wearing short and heavy steel toe boots looks funny)

Heroes821

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2017, 07:18:59 AM »
When not at work I wear Rainbow Sandals all the time. Rain, snow, sleet, sunshine. The company will replace them when they get worn out or break for free.

For work I wear whatever cheap shoe meets dress code.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2017, 10:57:45 AM »
I work with teens and in a very casual office. 

On the lookout for a good pair of leather boots for the winter, currently using thrifted cheapo boots.

Converse as winter or summer shoes.  Not always the greatest support, but i guess I'm young enough for it to be ok for my feet still.

Dressy pair of black flats.  Don't even know the brand...just check for cushy supports while buying and avoid easily scuffed exteriors, like suede. 

Teva sandals.  A-maz-ing.  I buy the cheapest black variety they have, and I spent ALL summer long in them -- summer camps and and all, which is part of my job and weeks out of my summer.  Incredible support.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2017, 11:11:51 AM »
On the lookout for a good pair of leather boots for the winter, currently using thrifted cheapo boots.

I tried on probably 10 different pairs of leather boots for women, ranging from cheap to very expensive, and settled on these. They aren't cheap but I'm on the second full winter of wearing them (in Minnesota, so ice, snow, rain, etc.): http://www.zappos.com/p/ugg-kesey-chestnut/product/8621888/color/278

Vicster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2017, 02:31:13 PM »

I tried on probably 10 different pairs of leather boots for women, ranging from cheap to very expensive, and settled on these. They aren't cheap but I'm on the second full winter of wearing them (in Minnesota, so ice, snow, rain, etc.): http://www.zappos.com/p/ugg-kesey-chestnut/product/8621888/color/278

Ooh they look gorgeous, like them :)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2017, 02:56:41 PM »
I have these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LP2MGY

If it's snowy outside I'll wear proper boots, but those are my choice nearly every day.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2017, 04:42:02 PM »
I have some shoes from Clark's that I love and are super comfortable. I wear them every day. I have another pair of Clark's shoes that I love slightly less and wear significantly less often. I've had very good luck with Clark's shoes over the years and plan to just stick with them as my shoe brand at this point.

Outside of work I wear mostly sneakers (a pair of all black Adidas that are slowly giving up the ghost) or running shoes (only for running - Hoka's).

Ebrat

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2017, 06:55:45 PM »
I'm slowly transitioning over to all Cole Haan (bought on sale of course). They're comfortable enough to walk to work in and last a long time and are cute but also classic and versatile. I have 2 pairs of boots (1 w/a heel, 1 flat), a pair of loafers, and a pair of pumps from them.

Joseppi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2017, 08:42:24 AM »

I got my first pair of Vans about a year ago...they are awesome.  And mine were on sale for $25.

Cheap, versatile, comfy and usually last a good couple of years or more...if you like the "well worn" look.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2017, 09:55:37 AM »
Asics running shoes about 90% of the time (home and most days at work).  I've got a couple pairs of dressy shoes, but they were not ones I bought, so I didn't have a choice.  Wear as necessary for church and Civil Air Patrol meetings.

Motorcycle and flight suit boots I use Bates.

steviesterno

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2017, 04:49:04 PM »
I wore ECCO dress shoes for 3 years. I work on cement and run at work, and have to wear dress shoes. I had 2 pair and rotated them, they lasted 4 years of daily use with only one resole. finally ruined a set running through a construction site to help a guy in  car accident.

Replaced with Rockports since I couldn't stomach the $140+ ecco. 2 months into the rock ports they are worn out, ruined, and I'm fighting with the company to get them replaced. And I will sell/donate them and spend the money again on ECCO.

They are a real value when you figure price vs time. I saved $50 but lost 3.8 years of wear. not worth it.

I wear merrell boots the rest of the time. great to walk, hike, or just whatever besides run. Last for years and years, on sale less than $100.

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2017, 10:45:36 AM »
I view shoes as a non-negotiable for health/personal comfort. i learned a while ago that when my shoes were in poor condition, I was in a poor mood.

I have the following:

Leather dress shoes (to wear at formal occasions)
Leather boat shoes (for more casual occasions where tennis shoes aren't ok)
Waterproof winter boots (North face)
Work shoes ($45 Adidas - I walk close to 3 miles a day at work so these last about 6 months)
Running shoes (Asics)
Plus a collection of worn out "beater" shoes that tend to linger for housework, etc.

I wouldn't really consider skimping on shoes unless you need a cheap pair of flip flops for the beach. The $$ savings do not outweigh the comfort/health losses.

47%MMM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2017, 08:30:10 AM »
I have a couple of different pairs for running/fitness with the highest cost being for running shoes. I'm not going to recommend anything there because for running shoes (if that is what you are going to do), are highly dependent on your foot structure. Don't mess around, get fit so you don't get hurt.

If you're looking for men's dress shoes though, I have to recommend Stacy Adams DANTON 24363-221 Cognac (http://amzn.to/2mQpcdk). I've worn nothing but these for the past 5 years. The finish is durable, I hardly ever have to polish them, they have great wear, and they match almost everything. Whenever I can find them on sale or when they are closing out my size somewhere, I'll by a couple pairs and store them until I need them.

I've also moved to only wearing clothes that match brown shoes to minimize my thinking in the morning. If only I could wear the same thing every day...

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2017, 01:59:15 PM »
I'm 40, I run a bit, I've had plantar fasciitis and I have very wide (4E) feet, so I'm willing to spend a little money on shoes.

For work, I have a pair of Birkenstock Corvallis.  I think they were about $120 3 or 4 years ago.  I polish them once a year or so.  For home, I have indoor shoes that are Birkenstock sandals.  I think they were about $100 3 or 4 years ago.  For out and about, I've got old pairs of Brooks Addiction running shoes ($120, every year or so).

I went through a Keen phase.  They're great if you live somewhere warm and don't have plantar fasciitis.  I had two pair, and they lasted very well through biking, hiking, etc.  I also tried Kenkoh sandals as a house shoe (~$100) but I've found birkenstock's to be better and MUCH longer lasting.

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2017, 04:27:40 PM »

... For work, I have a pair of Birkenstock Corvallis.  I think they were about $120 3 or 4 years ago.  I polish them once a year or so.  For home, I have indoor shoes that are Birkenstock sandals.  I think they were about $100 3 or 4 years ago.  For out and about, I've got old pairs of Brooks Addiction running shoes ($120, every year or so).

These shoes look great!  How much walking do you do?  Just wondering how long the soles would last for someone who does alot of walking.

icemodeled

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2017, 07:05:12 PM »
We're in southwest Florida, so we're in sandals most of the time. Otherwise I have a pair of a knock off style of Toms shoes that I love and have had a long time. Got them from target and they held up so well. I have some cheap tennis shoes that I wear when working outside, but I need a good new pair for working out in or going hiking etc. just haven't gotten around to finding something.