Author Topic: What next?  (Read 3859 times)

Kiwi Mustache

• Stubble
What next?
« on: July 09, 2015, 05:18:49 PM »
I've ruthlessly cut down spending, learned all about budgeting, saving, investing, etc.

I own an investment property, some shares and contribute to superannuation through my salary. My career is going well and I earn a satisfactory salary.

I'm single and 26 years old.

What do I do next?

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What next?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 05:22:33 PM »
Next step is FIRE, and then doing whatever you want, right?

Kiwi Mustache

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 05:26:14 PM »

Yes sure, but that is years away.

coffeehound

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 07:14:52 PM »

Yes sure, but that is years away.

How many years?  Have you calculated the time left?  What else can you do to lessen the number of years to FIRE? 

What low- to no-cost hobbies or potential side gigs can you spend time on now, that you can pursue more fully after FIRE?

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
  • making the most of my time and my money
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 07:56:35 PM »
I've ruthlessly cut down spending, learned all about budgeting, saving, investing, etc.

I own an investment property, some shares and contribute to superannuation through my salary. My career is going well and I earn a satisfactory salary.

I'm single and 26 years old.

What do I do next?

What you do next is to decide what you want to do.  Do you love your work but want to be financially independent?  Do you hate your job and so want to be able to FI/RE?  What do you value?  What are your dreams?  What will they require?

Dude!!  You are TWENTY-SIX FUCKING YEARS OLD.  The whole world is there for you.  Just decide what you want.

And... good luck.

Kiwi Mustache

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 08:10:48 PM »
How many years?  Have you calculated the time left?  What else can you do to lessen the number of years to FIRE? 

What low- to no-cost hobbies or potential side gigs can you spend time on now, that you can pursue more fully after FIRE?

I'm not really concerned about retiring at really early anyway. I enjoy building a career and the social aspects of work and feeling like I'm making a contribution.

I just want to see what peoples opinions are middle bit of the process following MMM. The start is all go, changing lots of things around, cutting spending, learning about being frugal, learning about investments, etc. But once all that excitement has worn through, it is just rinse and repeat the process for a further few decades.

Kiwi Mustache

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 08:15:30 PM »
What you do next is to decide what you want to do.  Do you love your work but want to be financially independent?  Do you hate your job and so want to be able to FI/RE?  What do you value?  What are your dreams?  What will they require?

Yes, I enjoy working, I feel it is good for me. I've hated jobs in the past, but then I've just moved to something I enjoy more, rather than quit and do other things.

I suppose my real dreams are to travel and explore and be outdoors. Doing things like hiking up mountains, cycling the length of a country, going to iconic places like Mt Everest, etc.

Kiwi Mustache

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 10:18:21 PM »
I suppose my real dreams are to travel and explore and be outdoors. Doing things like hiking up mountains, cycling the length of a country, going to iconic places like Mt Everest, etc.

All of the above sounds like a good start to me :)

But you just don't wait until retirement to do these things.

I've cut back and being frugal, but then spending thousands of dollars to travel the world goes against saving money?

Somewhat counter productive wanting to do both at once?