Author Topic: what meal for a family with new triplets?  (Read 5454 times)

Midcenturymater

• Stubble
what meal for a family with new triplets?
« on: February 03, 2016, 11:13:58 AM »
I know not really mustachian....but ill ask anyway.

I am cooking a meal to take to a family who have had triplets...unexpected.

They are mainly vegi but eat fish.
I am not so confident cooking fish so anyone g it a great idea if something healthy, with protein, that cod last a few days in the fridge so they get a few meals out if it. They also have a 4 year old.

Maybe a big bean casserole? Don't want it to be too bland. What spices would make it a bit more tasty?

geekette

• Magnum Stache
Re: what meal for a family with new triplets?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 11:18:03 AM »
If they're not vegan, a vegetarian lasagna could work.

BarkyardBQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 11:20:30 AM »
We like this one for lunches, and an extra cup of rice makes it go further, makes like 8 servings. It's delicious and they won't have to cook lunch or dinner for a few days. If you don't have the individual spices, I'm sure a couple packets of taco seasoning will work.

http://kneadtocook.com/tex-mex-casserole/
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 11:22:26 AM by BackyarBQ »

Midcenturymater

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 11:23:28 AM »
Thanks for those ideas. Yes think they are low dairy but prob don't have a microwave to reheat it. Will check out that recipee. Maybe if I make it the day before it will be more flavoursome.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 11:25:24 AM »
Zucchini Casserole - I haven't made this yet but it is on my new recipe list this month

http://flavormosaic.com/classico-zucchini-enchilada-breakfast-casserole/

Vegetable quiches are also a good dish for any meal of the day.

Midcenturymater

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 11:26:33 AM »
Thanks back yard bbq. That looks great as does the zucchini one. Right going to trial run it today for our family. Thank you!

BarkyardBQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 11:30:16 AM »
Thanks for those ideas. Yes think they are low dairy but prob don't have a microwave to reheat it. Will check out that recipee. Maybe if I make it the day before it will be more flavoursome.

We don't do cheese when we take it to work, maybe for a serving the night we make it. We also don't bake it, or put chips on it, and the avocado is optional.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 11:46:52 AM »
What I would really like to know is how anyone ends up with unexpected triplets. Or, was it that your need to cook was unexpected?

Anyway, Chipotle Chicken Chili at bugetbytes is my current favourite. To make it veggie, just take out the chicken, and replace with an extra can of beans. Volia!

TrMama

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 11:49:01 AM »
I often take a loaf or two of homemade bread, a tub of hummus and some high fiber muffins to new parents. The thing with new babies is that they often demand to be held right when your dinner is hot. Cold things that won't burn the baby when you drop some on their head were appreciated. Bonus points for foods that don't require utensils, they're easier to eat with one hand. Some sort of hearty burrito filling plus a pack of wraps would also be a good option. New moms also sometimes struggle with constipation (sorry about the TMI), that's what the muffins are for.

I'm super curious as to how the triplets were a surprise?

HazelStone

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 11:54:31 AM »
Mujaddara- which is basically  rice (I use brown), lentils, carmelized onions, spices to taste and a dab of yogurt on top (my yogurt is homemade). You can caramelize lots of onions at once in a pressure cooker. Cheap, filling, scalable, easy to reheat...and vegetarian.

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 12:21:00 PM »
I just want to reinforce your decision not to do fish.  Leftover fish is usually not good.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 04:02:37 PM »
I can't fathom surprise triplets and the resulting chaos. I know with one new baby I appreciated food that did not need to be heated and could be eaten wig my hands. Carrot muffins loaded with nuts as raisins were high calorie and tasty. Cheese and veggie trays. Chips and dip, etc. sandwich wraps that can be held in one hand.

Whatever you do don't use a casserole dish that has to be washed and returned. And don't expect to deliver dinner and eat with them.

Midcenturymater

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 08:59:26 PM »
Oh gosh...no we drop on door step here...no interaction expected...who expects that? Not worth having the meal under those circumstances.
I have foil disposable container ready.
They knew it was twins then early on it became triplets so they knew but did not plan for it if you see what I mean. Love the muffin idea. Thank you!