Author Topic: What Makes a Good Neighbor?  (Read 5649 times)

whitewaterchica

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What Makes a Good Neighbor?
« on: October 16, 2018, 12:04:18 PM »
Hi all,

I am a relatively new homeowner, coming up on one year, and will soon have new neighbors on one side. My street is comprised of 1950s ranches and capes that run 1100-1900 square feet and sit on lots that are typically 0.30 acres. In my personal situation, my driveway runs parallel to my neighbor's drive (they are not shared drives and are separated by a small asphalt hump).

There was some angst with the "old" neighbors with the adjacent drive that I would very much like to avoid moving forward.

I also want to be the best neighbor I can be. To that end, what do all of you think makes a good neighbor? Thanks for your time!

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
Re: What Makes a Good Neighbor?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 12:13:03 PM »
Can you be more specific about what the angst was with the old neighbors?

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 12:16:36 PM »
Good fences, obviously. Just kidding, but there is some truth to distance keeping things cordial. Mow your lawn, wave, don't interact too much.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 12:44:50 PM »
My favorite neighbor experiences were in college and involved wine night, potlucks, and many evenings on the front porch. Was nice to have a group of 4-5 families and peiple of all ages all hanging out. Kids running around, dogs running in packs. Bbq going... miss those days... now I don't even know a single person in our building of 7 units.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 01:00:29 PM »
Mostly common sense. Don't play loud music, don't junk up your yard, don't leave your car running in the driveway for a long time.

I have two annoying neighbors and one is some kind of a 'guest' and suddenly appeared to be living across the street. This jerk seems to only buy rattle trap cars with loud mufflers. Plus, his previous car was a manual transmission and he had to wind the transmission up till it screamed before he would shift it. He leaves for work at 5:30 am and I am sure he wakes up the whole neighborhood. The other neighbor grew up next door and is now about 22-23 years old. He graduated from a technical high school and learned a trade. However, he has decided to be a JERK and drag home cars, tear them apart and sell the parts. He has had up to 15 junkers over on his father's property which is residential and this work is not allowed. Also, all the unregistered cars is illegal too. He makes a racket tearing apart cars and it is beyond annoying. The father is a friend and we try not to make waves. Also, the father burns brush and leaves and it stinks so bad.

These are things that make bad neighbors! Be nice, be considerate, use the golden rule.

hops

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 01:04:54 PM »
Looking out for each other is nice. I'm not close with most of my neighbors but they're always appreciative of simple gestures like letting them know if they've accidentally left their car lights on, or returning fugitive dogs. A couple months ago one neighbor noticed a porch pirate about to make off with someone else's UPS delivery and went to snap a photo of the would-be thief's license plate, which scared him off.

My worst neighbors have been inconsiderate with noise, pets (unleashed aggressive dogs), car parking, and exterior home maintenance.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 01:06:29 PM by hops »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 01:21:13 PM »
Leave me alone and don't call animal control claiming we have birds in our garage.  No, Jim, you didn't hear a "very distinct parrot call."

whitewaterchica

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 01:27:25 PM »

Sure thing. The day I moved in they approached me to ask if they could occasionally use my drive so they wouldn't have to move cars. They would drive the car over the small hump and exit/enter via my drive. Within one month this went from occasionally to 10-15 times per day, with them complaining about tire damage through out.

Single lane drives are the norm on my street and everyone just moves cars and/or parks on the street as needed. When they told me they were listing the house I asked them to stop using my driveway as I didn't want to give potential new neighbors the impression that doing so was a viable long term solution. There were several instances of potential buyers parking in and/or blocking my driveway and when I approached a realtor one day (who had been a culprit several times) it turned ugly. I again asked my neighbors to be sure to note that the drives are not shared (as clearly spelled out in the deeds) and they flipped out telling me I was preventing them from selling the house.

There were other bizarre issues- essentially they seemed to feel as though my drive and yard were their drive and yard and when asked to stop they became increasingly nasty. The house is about to close and I would very much like to have a friendly, even if distant, relationship with the new neighbors, as I do with the others on the street. Heck, anything is better than being called an "on the spectrum, fucking bitch" as happened during this morning's interaction with the "old" neighbors. I guess they felt within their rights to leave garbage in my garden and on my drive last night (yes, I know for certain it was them).

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 01:29:31 PM »
Don't leave your dog tied out while you are at work. Dogs bark and bark and bark. NOBODY wants to listen to that. Do not let your dogs roam, keep them licensed and have them always up to date on shots. Get your cats and dogs neutered.

I used to have another JERK neighbor who let his big dog roam and it would come and do his business in my yard. The dog had previously been hit by a car. This idiot did not care. I called Animal Control several times and the JERK finally got fined around $100. The dog was not up to date on its shots either. This guy was a know it all and you could not reason with him. He knew so much that he lived in his house for probably 40 years and lost it to foreclosure.

Try not to mow your lawn at the crack of dawn or at twilight. People are sleeping or enjoying the quiet evenings.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 01:35:24 PM by Roadrunner53 »

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 01:31:04 PM »
I have mostly great neighbours, who will lend a hand when needed, lend tools, bring food "just because," and are generally considerate people.  I've found that home-owners are usually better than renters.  Things I've had to deal with over the years that make for bad neighbours are loud/non-existent mufflers, overly barky dogs, and hoarders with backyards full of crap.  Weeds drive me nuts too - current neighbours who are otherwise wonderful people have let them get out of hand and now my yard is getting worse by the year due to seed blowing in.  Overall, just don't be the kind of person that you wouldn't want to live next to yourself.

whitewaterchica

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 01:32:30 PM »
Leave me alone and don't call animal control claiming we have birds in our garage.  No, Jim, you didn't hear a "very distinct parrot call."

hahaha, I've never heard that one before! Animal control must have had a good laugh over that one.

One

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 01:34:32 PM »
Don't be the nosy neighbor, always asking questions and looking over the fence, that's annoying. You feel like you have to time your yard work and outdoor schedule to avoid.

CorpRaider

• Bristles
    • The Corpraider Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 01:35:33 PM »
LOL.  Neighbors can be weird, can't they? 

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 01:37:05 PM »
One of my neighbors gives us hot peppers and tomatoes from his garden.  My other neighbors give us cheeseburgers and offer us drinks if they're having a party/gathering in their backyard.

We like them.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 01:40:20 PM »
Yes, neighbors can be weird. I have neighbors who have no garbage service and never seem to have lights on in the house! I always wonder where they take their garbage to. I have another neighbor who has a dumpster and has it emptied twice a week! What the hell does he fill it up with twice a week? We are talking a large dumpster in a residential neighborhood!

whitewaterchica

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 01:40:39 PM »
It's funny, when they moved in they told me all about the other neighbors and how the one on the other side of me is so terrible, loud, messy, etc.. but she's actually been a really lovely and considerate neighbor. I feel like all my neighbors are decent people- occasional parties but nothing crazy, dogs that are friendly but don't bark all night, nice kids, well kept yards and homes, etc... I am really happy here overall and want to make it a nice experience for the new folks, too.

I guess this all really stemmed from boundary issues. Had I installed a fence in immediately (I've confirmed doing so is completely legal) or said no to them using the drive maybe things wouldn't have turned so sour.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 01:41:59 PM »
It's funny, when they moved in they told me all about the other neighbors and how the one on the other side of me is so terrible, loud, messy, etc.. but she's actually been a really lovely and considerate neighbor. I feel like all my neighbors are decent people- occasional parties but nothing crazy, dogs that are friendly but don't bark all night, nice kids, well kept yards and homes, etc... I am really happy here overall and want to make it a nice experience for the new folks, too.

I guess this all really stemmed from boundary issues. Had I installed a fence in immediately (I've confirmed doing so is completely legal) or said no to them using the drive maybe things wouldn't have turned so sour.

You should install a fence NOW before the new people move in!

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 01:44:57 PM »

Yes! Put that fence up.

My only advice is to greet your new neighbors as soon as is reasonable when they move in. Remember their names and say hello every time you see them. That goes a long way toward building good will.

whitewaterchica

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2018, 01:45:32 PM »

I think you are right. I've been calling to get quotes today.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2018, 02:08:50 PM »

Sure thing. The day I moved in they approached me to ask if they could occasionally use my drive so they wouldn't have to move cars. They would drive the car over the small hump and exit/enter via my drive. Within one month this went from occasionally to 10-15 times per day, with them complaining about tire damage through out.

Single lane drives are the norm on my street and everyone just moves cars and/or parks on the street as needed. When they told me they were listing the house I asked them to stop using my driveway as I didn't want to give potential new neighbors the impression that doing so was a viable long term solution. There were several instances of potential buyers parking in and/or blocking my driveway and when I approached a realtor one day (who had been a culprit several times) it turned ugly. I again asked my neighbors to be sure to note that the drives are not shared (as clearly spelled out in the deeds) and they flipped out telling me I was preventing them from selling the house.

There were other bizarre issues- essentially they seemed to feel as though my drive and yard were their drive and yard and when asked to stop they became increasingly nasty. The house is about to close and I would very much like to have a friendly, even if distant, relationship with the new neighbors, as I do with the others on the street. Heck, anything is better than being called an "on the spectrum, fucking bitch" as happened during this morning's interaction with the "old" neighbors. I guess they felt within their rights to leave garbage in my garden and on my drive last night (yes, I know for certain it was them).
So, ditto on the "good fences!"

Your neighbors were out of line.

My thoughts:
- Keep your yard clean
- Stay out of my driveway.
- Do not let your dog poop in front of my house.  I don't have a fucking dog.  Do not throw your dog poop bags in my conveniently located trash can on trash day (before I am able to bring it back behind my hedge).  Use your own damn trash can.
- Do not have a dog that barks incessantly
- No loud parties
- Your chickens are fine
- If you are going to have a party annually, just let me know (and hey, invite me up for a drink)

So I've got 3 immediate neighbors, because I have a shared driveway.  Actually, it's ours, but there's a house behind ours with ingress/egress rights.
- Don't drive up and down too fast, I have kids
- Don't park big vehicles on the street so that we can't see to pull out
- If you've got extra fresh salmon, sure bring it on down!
- If your elderly brother is visiting to house sit and he needs help, give him my number no problem.
- If you want to work on trimming the hedge together, that's fine too.

My neighbors are great.  One is a young divorced man who rents out a room and a garage.  Which is a parking bummer, but they are all quiet.
One is a young family - some of our kids are the same age and are in school together.  They are easy to talk to and watched our fish when we traveled.  I like to hear their chickens.  They are adding a rental unit to their garage - another parking bummer but it will bring them income.
The third is an older man who used to own 4 vehicles, but is now down to 2.  He's very nice, we are friendly, he's got a nice dog.

whitewaterchica

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2018, 03:02:58 PM »
Thanks for the comments. I like to hear about different arrangements and it is comforting to read that the traits I believe good neighbors possess are also viewed as desirable by others.

TrMama

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2018, 03:26:34 PM »
Don't smoke while standing under their child's 2nd story bedroom window. This goes double if your neighbour's household includes people with asthma and COPD.

When your neighbour says hello to you, respond politely. Don't make a sour face and turn away.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2018, 03:37:16 PM »
Cookies.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2018, 05:00:19 PM »
Most people like a quiet neighborhood. I don't mind an occasional party with cars parked all over the place. But not all the time! I do not like fireworks going off all night long during holidays and my dogs freak out. So please, refrain from shooting them off in your neighborhood.

Some people have no common sense so you can't explain this stuff to them. They think it is all about them and how much they will enjoy certain things with no regard to others around them.  Sometimes I wish I could buy about 100 acres and put my house in the middle of it all to avoid stupid people. People are so selfish in general and have no regard for others. I do appreciate you asking about What Makes a Good Neighbor.

In another town about 20 miles from me there is a park where a lot of illegal aliens congregate, have gigantic speakers attached to their cars and blast their music. Police have come and asked them to tone it down and they do for about 5 minutes till the officers leave the scene then blast it again. It is really sad that a few can make it miserable for so many others.

Penn42

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2018, 09:31:30 PM »
If they're quiet and generally don't talk to you.  And when they do talk to you it's for a purpose and they're polite.  Those are pretty much the only things I would want.

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2018, 06:58:48 AM »
We have the best neighbors! On all sides of us, people are always quick with a wave and a "How are you?" Sometimes we stop and chat for a few minutes. One neighbor is a widower who has a plethora of tools to loan us. He even gave us a really nice composter. The other side is an older couple who have offered us the use of their timeshare. They mailed us (lol) a condolence card this year when they read DH's dad's obituary in the paper. They give us a large gift basket of candy for Christmas, and bring over goody bags for our kids at Halloween. We loaned them a chair when the wife had a knee replaced and was having difficulty getting up and down out of furniture. Across the street, our neighbors plant a huge garden every year and encourage us to help ourselves. They also set out a table of free produce by the street. Thankfully, none of our neighbors seem like the nosy type--they never ask invasive questions or comment on what we're doing at our house. They also seem to genuinely appreciate our friendly dogs and kids.

I hope your new neighbors are great!

Blueberries

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2018, 08:19:32 AM »
My favorite kind of neighbor is someone who minds their own business (but is friendly) and keeps their house/yard tidy.  But, I also recognize that my way isn't for everyone. 

Awesomeness

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2018, 08:58:54 AM »
I agree w the others. I was a military wife so I’ve had a ton of neighbors.it was nice when you’d get a bad one they’d eventually move.   To me the best is when you’re just polite and respectful of others, everything else falls into place. It’s harder when you have kids, you get to know them more which can bring issues.

The worst is the nosey ones, my home was a complete gut job and one neighbor just constantly came over and had to know everything. Fast forward and my husband was screwing around on me. He was partying w one neighbor who was doing the same and his wife was convinced I knew based on what my ex told her. During all this I was my usual self that wasn’t overly chummy w the neighbors.  Eventually I found out.  All of them around me knew but no one told me. Send me an anonymous letter for crying out loud. He almost got away w it.  A few divorces later I’m good and the block dropped a couple alcoholics so that was nice,  but man it went on for over a year and they all knew. Ouch.

I’m back to being friendly and I have no issues.  In fact the nosey ones work in my favor since they watch the cars a lot and I worry my ex will come back around.  I tell them to call the police, don’t hesitate.

Lowe’s has no dig fences. You could pull in today and put up a quick 4 foot high fence by yourself til you get a permanent one installed, they have a shorter garden style one too.  Amazon also sells a 3 foot high vinyl picket no dig fence, I’m thinking of this one for my front yard. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2018, 10:32:19 AM »
If you have a mental illness, emotional instability, addiction, etc, GET TREATED. And STAY treated, even if you think you're "cured". (can you tell that both my neighbors are diagnosed mentally ill?)

whitewaterchica

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2018, 10:48:17 AM »
I agree w the others. I was a military wife so I’ve had a ton of neighbors.it was nice when you’d get a bad one they’d eventually move.   To me the best is when you’re just polite and respectful of others, everything else falls into place. It’s harder when you have kids, you get to know them more which can bring issues.

The worst is the nosey ones, my home was a complete gut job and one neighbor just constantly came over and had to know everything. Fast forward and my husband was screwing around on me. He was partying w one neighbor who was doing the same and his wife was convinced I knew based on what my ex told her. During all this I was my usual self that wasn’t overly chummy w the neighbors.  Eventually I found out.  All of them around me knew but no one told me. Send me an anonymous letter for crying out loud. He almost got away w it.  A few divorces later I’m good and the block dropped a couple alcoholics so that was nice,  but man it went on for over a year and they all knew. Ouch.

I’m back to being friendly and I have no issues.  In fact the nosey ones work in my favor since they watch the cars a lot and I worry my ex will come back around.  I tell them to call the police, don’t hesitate.

Lowe’s has no dig fences. You could pull in today and put up a quick 4 foot high fence by yourself til you get a permanent one installed, they have a shorter garden style one too.  Amazon also sells a 3 foot high vinyl picket no dig fence, I’m thinking of this one for my front yard.

The Lowe's no dig fence is a great short term suggestion, thank you! I have a couple estimates lined up and this would be a helpful way to bridge the gap.

I have a friend who went through a similar cheating situation. His (now ex) wife had been cheating for a while and went so far as to bring the new man around the neighborhood while he was at work. No one said a word to my friend. He has since forgiven them (he had considered a couple of these neighbors true friends) but I admit I wouldn't be so forgiving.

whitewaterchica

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2018, 10:55:24 AM »
We have the best neighbors! On all sides of us, people are always quick with a wave and a "How are you?" Sometimes we stop and chat for a few minutes. One neighbor is a widower who has a plethora of tools to loan us. He even gave us a really nice composter. The other side is an older couple who have offered us the use of their timeshare. They mailed us (lol) a condolence card this year when they read DH's dad's obituary in the paper. They give us a large gift basket of candy for Christmas, and bring over goody bags for our kids at Halloween. We loaned them a chair when the wife had a knee replaced and was having difficulty getting up and down out of furniture. Across the street, our neighbors plant a huge garden every year and encourage us to help ourselves. They also set out a table of free produce by the street. Thankfully, none of our neighbors seem like the nosy type--they never ask invasive questions or comment on what we're doing at our house. They also seem to genuinely appreciate our friendly dogs and kids.

I hope your new neighbors are great!

Your neighbors sound wonderful! One of my neighbors has an adorable little dog, Fred. She walks him a few times a day and he always wants to stop by to say hello. Initially we thought it was because he missed the previous owner, who passed a few years ago, then we thought it was because he loves the house itself, but now she tells me she thinks I am his favorite person on the block, heh. I don't see them as often as I'd like but when I do it always makes my day. The little things... :-)

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2018, 11:16:35 AM »
I think it's really helpful to go over and introduce yourself in a friendly way, perhaps with a nice plant or cookies in hand if that's your sort of thing.

If you do have to bring up something unpleasant down the road, you've established a baseline of cordial behavior, and your neighbors know that you are a reasonable human being if they need to do the same (so maybe they will feel comfortable to come over and ask you to turn the music down instead of calling the police first thing.)

If they are weirdos, you'll get to find that out in a low-stakes encounter so that you can make good decisions when something bigger comes up.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2018, 11:17:24 AM »
In my personal experience, these are things that happen with bad neighbors:

- Cars are constantly parking in the cul-de-sac (and blocking driveways) because they're dealing drugs
- A shooting takes place at their house because they're dealing drugs.  This has happened at 2 houses on my street.  Both were rental properties.
- They put up a fence and then turn their yard into a complete junkyard because they think everything is hidden behind the fence and no one will notice.  Guess what?  If I look out my 2nd floor windows, I can see all of the junk in your yard.  And so can all of the other neighbors with a line of sight into your yard.
- Grass and weeds grow 3' high before mowing
- Loud music is playing until midnight on a weeknight
- Cars are parked in front of your house for long stretches of time (several months, in one case).  This sucks because it turns out this is perfectly legal and there's not a damn thing I can do to make you move your car.  In my case, it was actually a woman from about 10 houses down who did this.
- Your neighbors' friends come over and get into loud arguments and yell obscenities at each other while standing in the cul-de-sac.  This makes for such a pleasant Sunday afternoon.
- The lawn service comes over and starts mowing at 6:30AM on a Saturday
- They park a car in front of your house and then get mad at you when you run the weed-eater in the vicinity of the car because it might get hit by a rock or other flying debris.  There's a solution to this...it's called moving your damn car. 
- They put up a fence and plant creeping plants/flowers that grow up and over the fence and then creep down into your yard.  If you actually want to mow, you have to trim the bushes to get them out of your way.
- Visitors come over and blare loud music in their vehicles for over an hour while parked in the street.
- They look out their window waiting for you to appear and then want to have a 30-minute conversation when all you wanted to do was make a quick trip to the grocery store.  I feel like I have to run to my car with my head down now ;).

Neighbors who simply don't do these things would be an improvement.  I tend to agree with the posters who just want quiet neighbors who leave them alone.  If a neighbor happens to share similar interests, then it's cool to hang out and become friends in a natural way.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2018, 11:34:58 AM »
We got new neighbors this year both directly behind us and on one side.  I brought each of them a plate of cookies and a note with our names and my phone number on it, in case of emergency.

I made sure they knew the names and descriptions of my three kids and let them know if they have any problems with said children to please let me know and I will take care of it immediately.  (so while I'm sounding like a great neighbor keeping my kids in line...I'm also gently warning them there are kids running wild over here, so please don't run over them.)

We're friendly with both - we wave and we chat sometimes and I ooh and aah over the baby next door.  Other than that, we all seem to follow the golden rule - be the kind of neighbor you want them to be.

ChickenStash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2018, 12:30:38 PM »
I'm a bit of a hermit so I don't get much past a smile and wave with my neighbors which suits me just fine. Generally, as long as they don't do anything that causes me more work or devalues my property then all is well. I don't mind the occasional party, loud music, kids running around, fireworks, etc.  as that's just part of life in the 'burbs. Maybe someday I'll retire to a shack in the middle of a 40ac plot in the woods.

The situation with the cars using my driveway would drive me nuts pretty darn quick. I'd probably wind up having a "roofing issue" that resulted in lots of nails being on my driveway while I was conveniently out of town.

The only real complaint I have about my current neighbors is that their dog barks at me continuously when I'm in my back yard or garage. If they notice they'll take it inside but that sometimes takes an hour or more of constant barking. My other neighbors used to have a bunch of junk their back yard but have recently made progress in cleaning it up. Still a bit of an eyesore but not too bad and I do have a fence that blocks most of that view from my house (good fences make good neighbors).

whitewaterchica

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2018, 12:36:26 PM »
These are all great comments and suggestions, thank you all. I have only had the easy (people out and about and receptive to a quick chat) opportunity to formally introduce myself to a few of the neighbors and will make the effort to meet the others this month, even if only via a note and some sort of small treat. Hopefully, late is better than never.

I'm sorry to hear about all the nightmare neighbors. Some people can be such selfish, inconsiderate jerks.

affordablehousing

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2018, 12:44:26 PM »
I think what makes for a great neighbor, is a willingness to be friendly, but an empathy to recognize some neighbors are not interested in making friends. We had a block of really great people and it added 500% to our enjoyment of living there. It frankly helps if you're in a situation with a lot of similar aged people with similar ambitions. Definitely put up a fence, recognize your current neighbors are just worried about selling their house, and hope a nice family moves in.

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2018, 12:52:17 PM »
Best neighbors are friendly hi and bye and keep to themselves.....  A 5 minute conversation is ok if you see me in the yard or going to check the mail... I don't want to be your best friend... I don't want to set up play dates for the kids... and I don't want to attend your awesome church.... My favorite neighbor always brings me a beer when he sees I'm done doing my yard and cleaning the side walks up....If he's not home his wife brings it out

fixie

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2018, 02:17:35 PM »
A good neighbor doesn't change his oil or park innumerable cars in the planting strip in front of the house.  A good neighbor keeps an eye on things when I am at sea.  A good neighbor lends tools and help on occasion.  She is respectful of my need for peace and quiet in the evenings and weekends. A good neighbor cleans up her dog shit and doesn't allow fifi to bark incessantly.  He doesn't blow off illegal fireworks over the nearby lake and catch another neighbor's dock on fire.  A good neighbor has a muffler on his GD car.  She doesn't allow hookers to ply their trade and fling detritus Into the bushes.  A good neighbor acknowledges one's humanity instead of reflexively glancing Into the phone as I walk by and smile and wave.
-fixie

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2018, 06:06:53 AM »
In another town about 20 miles from me there is a park where a lot of illegal aliens congregate, have gigantic speakers attached to their cars and blast their music. Police have come and asked them to tone it down and they do for about 5 minutes till the officers leave the scene then blast it again. It is really sad that a few can make it miserable for so many others.

And you know they are illegal alliens?  Precisely explain exactly how you know that.

My experience with illegal aliens is that they do not, not, not want to cause the police to pay any attention to them whatever.   

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2018, 08:37:15 AM »
They don't crank their car and play loud rap music at 4AM for 20 minutes while their car warms up like the guy down the street from me did this morning.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2018, 09:06:01 AM »
The neighbor on our north side is the best neighbour ever! He has planted a nice tall hedge all around his house. We have still not spoken a word to him, after living here for 3-4 years. I don't know when he trims the hedge on our side, but it looks great so I guess he does sneak over to fix it occasionally.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2018, 11:24:37 AM »

And you know they are illegal alliens?  Precisely explain exactly how you know that.

My experience with illegal aliens is that they do not, not, not want to cause the police to pay any attention to them whatever.

That's for sure. We had a similar situation in this part of the state, and the music was actually across the river in PA.

https://6abc.com/society/loud-music-from-phila-keeping-residents-awake-in-nj/3690441/