What level of education do you have?

High School Only
Vocational Education
Associate
Bachelors
Masters
Doctorate
Professional Degree

Author Topic: What level of education do you have?  (Read 21808 times)

thurston howell iv

• Bristles
What level of education do you have?
« on: October 15, 2013, 10:40:51 AM »
I've been perusing the forums and recently noticed a post where there seemed to be a lot of people with advanced degrees. So, I thought it might be fun to take a quick poll of the MMM Community and get a sample of the different levels of education. 

Anti-ComplainyPants

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What level of education do you have?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 12:49:47 PM »
Now if only I got paid as much as many others with a high school education... (the mental health field is not one where surplus-income has been available)

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 01:16:19 PM »
I answered Masters as that is my highest completed level, but I am currently pursuing a doctorate.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 02:34:50 PM »
This is an interesting poll. I have a BA, BS, JD and LL.M. in Tax.

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 03:00:06 PM »
So - all you folks with a JD...which do you check off? I usually call it a professional degree. I guess masters is the next best option, but it doesn't quite fit either...Can we add professional degree to the list?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 03:05:53 PM »
Fake doctorate

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 03:08:19 PM »
So - all you folks with a JD...which do you check off? I usually call it a professional degree. I guess masters is the next best option, but it doesn't quite fit either...Can we add professional degree to the list?

JD = Juris Doctorate
It is considered a professional doctorate.

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 03:10:11 PM »
Woohoo, I'm the first "High School Only" vote!

Wife has a postgraduate. Not sure where she would be at on the scale (previous degree was an Associate's, next step up would be Master's).

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 03:14:47 PM »

JD = Juris Doctorate

Maybe it's just me. I'm not comfortable saying I have a doctorate, even if it's in the name, for purposes of this poll.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 03:17:27 PM »

JD = Juris Doctorate

Lol, I did check doctorate because, it is technically right.  the best kind of right!

If the poll can be edited, I'd add "professional degree" such as jd And md and allow multiple selection as well.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 03:19:24 PM »

JD = Juris Doctorate

Maybe it's just me. I'm not comfortable saying I have a doctorate, even if it's in the name, for purposes of this poll.

So what did you choose?  Vocational? :-)

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 03:25:18 PM »
I have a JD and marked masters.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 03:35:05 PM »

Eh I already have a real masters, so I figure I can add them together

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 03:42:14 PM »

JD = Juris Doctorate

So what did you choose?  Vocational? :-)

HA! That is more accurate. I haven't voted yet...

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 03:46:39 PM »
HS only... not one to sit in class... love sports teams though, that's what got me to graduate :)

In HS i was most likely to be a hustler, lol.  Because I skipped class a ton and became very very good at pool :)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 03:56:03 PM by sleepyguy »

PeachFuzzInVA

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 07:35:45 PM »
I answered bachelors, but might as well be high school only. My degree isn't required and was never even a concern in the field I'm in. I do, however, earn a higher income than any of my friends who are "doing something with their degree."

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 07:40:47 PM »

Eh I already have a real masters, so I figure I can add them together

Well why not Dr. Dragoncar!  Dr. Totoro has a nice ring...

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 07:52:44 PM »

I have a legit Ph.D., and even I don't go by Dr.  I think it sounds presumptuous.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 08:25:08 PM »

I have a legit Ph.D., and even I don't go by Dr.  I think it sounds presumptuous.

Well, on the internet anything is possible.  I'm a large blue presumptuous magical creature known as "Dr. Totoro" to you.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 08:27:59 PM »

Well, on the internet anything is possible.  I'm a large blue presumptuous magical creature known as "Dr. Totoro" to you.

It's actually Dr. Agoncar.  I went to school with Dr. Acula.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 09:13:28 PM »
I'm surprised at the percentage of university/college grads in the poll. I'm not sure what associate is (I'm Canadian), but I am one of the three who put trade school, as I got a 2 year diploma at a technical college. It seems like there is a good possibility of a large income from many trade professions, and not always from a 4 yr degree, so I thought with some of the higher incomes around here there'd be more trades/highschool only. And the reasons I never went to university even 20 years ago were related to my mustachian upbringing/nature. I was debt adverse, frugal (broke), and didn't want to just follow the trend of my peers. I took all the highest level classes at highschool and I'm sure 95% of my classmates went onto university. It just didn't make sense at the time, and I'm glad I went the way I did. I lucked into an easy, well-paid job, because of the college course I picked at 19, plus my innate strengths and work ethnic.

So, it just seems interesting to see most people here took a different approach.

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 09:32:31 PM »
In my field (speech pathology) a master's is required to practice.

Tempe

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2013, 10:30:38 PM »
Vocational 1 year. I have the start on credits for an associates at some point.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2013, 10:31:59 PM »
HS... I did a bit of post secondary before realizing that I don't particularly want to work at all. I had about 7K in student loans, paid it back quick, then found decent paying work that's pleasant and mindless enough that I can daydream at work and stockpile cash. Life's good.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2013, 10:52:07 PM »

It's actually Dr. Agoncar.  I went to school with Dr. Acula.

Dr. Seuss would approve.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2013, 10:55:42 PM »
Bachelors for now, when we up sticks soon to the UK  - a country which offers reasonable qualifications, unlike where I've lived for the past decade - I'll pick up a (free/they pay while I work) postgrad cert to increase my salary/employment options worldwide, and probably a sponsored masters to bump up my salary/visa hireability options for the future.

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2013, 05:38:10 AM »

I also have a legit Ph.D. (not to be confused with being a "real doctor," I've been told).  I also don't feel the need to be called "Dr."

I did, however, try to get people to call me "Master" upon completion of my master's degree.  That didn't go over so well.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 06:21:34 AM by Gray Matter »

thurston howell iv

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2013, 06:31:48 AM »
hey guys,
Sorry for some of the confusion. I did not want to make a super specific poll. Just something that would manage to get a decent sample...

I originally put doctorate to include all doctorate (juris doctorate, doctor of chiropractic, medical doctor, pharmacist, dentist, PH.d.)

I added professional degree to the poll and was thinking of resetting it or redoing it if it can be done better.  All suggestions can be considered. It's nothing super scientific but I can modify it if you guys want but at this point we have 155 responses and not nearly as many posts...

If it will help to clarify and get us a better sample please post up and let me know and I think the controls will let me erase the results and start over...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 06:35:04 AM by thurston howell iv »

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2013, 08:00:26 AM »
I have a DVM, and you can probably guess that I'm used to being called Dr. (heck, even the Mr. calls me Dr., he claims it is better for getting my attention), but I have always thought of it as a professional degree, so that's what I selected.  However, now that I amd pursuing a Ph.D.  I'm toying with the idea of insisting on Dr.Dr. as the title when I'm done. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2013, 08:13:18 AM »
hey guys,
Sorry for some of the confusion. I did not want to make a super specific poll. Just something that would manage to get a decent sample...

I originally put doctorate to include all doctorate (juris doctorate, doctor of chiropractic, medical doctor, pharmacist, dentist, PH.d.)

I added professional degree to the poll and was thinking of resetting it or redoing it if it can be done better.  All suggestions can be considered. It's nothing super scientific but I can modify it if you guys want but at this point we have 155 responses and not nearly as many posts...

If it will help to clarify and get us a better sample please post up and let me know and I think the controls will let me erase the results and start over...

Hm, doesn't look like I can edit my response.  Anyways, I figured you were trying to get a rough sense of how much education we have, and I have around the same number of years as a PhD.  No guarantee as to quality, however :-P

JR

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2013, 08:26:15 AM »
I have an associates and my wife has a masters and professional license.

thurston howell iv

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2013, 08:50:29 AM »
Hm, doesn't look like I can edit my response.  Anyways, I figured you were trying to get a rough sense of how much education we have, and I have around the same number of years as a PhD.  No guarantee as to quality, however :-P

Yeah, sorry. I f'd it up. I thought lumping all the doctorate degrees would be fine.

Dr.Vibrissae: I like your idea of Dr. Dr.- reminds me of "spies like us"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lge2_H_8IQ

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2013, 09:16:40 AM »
Wow, over half of us have graduate degrees, it looks like.

I also tried to get my spouse to call me "Master", but it didn't work.

Dr. Who joke: Why does the Master hate the Doctor?  Academic jealousy.

Silvie

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2013, 09:27:51 AM »
I have 2 MA degrees, one in Communications and one in Translation Studies (English - Dutch).

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2013, 11:48:17 AM »
I also have a participation certificate in yodeling

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2013, 01:42:12 PM »
I recently discovered a godawful amount of my brownie and girl scout badges that never got sewn onto my sash... and I was in third place for selling total amount of cookies in my state one year, does that count? At least that shows I know how to hustle. :)

I have a BFA and an Associate... guess which one actually was useful in terms of working an actual real live job?

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2013, 02:04:29 PM »

Neither do I, but in some countries (Germany in particular!) you get special respect/treatment if you do. If you buy airplane tickets from Lufthansa there are three options - Mr, Mrs and Dr. I fly with them a lot, but never actually checked the last option. Probably works best if you also dress formally and/or travel in business class.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2013, 03:02:29 PM »

Neither do I, but in some countries (Germany in particular!) you get special respect/treatment if you do. If you buy airplane tickets from Lufthansa there are three options - Mr, Mrs and Dr. I fly with them a lot, but never actually checked the last option. Probably works best if you also dress formally and/or travel in business class.

What kind of treatment?  I don't think you get much in the US (maybe respect, but not like a nicer table or anything)

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2013, 03:16:54 PM »
What kind of treatment?  I don't think you get much in the US (maybe respect, but not like a nicer table or anything)

Respect mostly, but from what I heard also small things like being first in line for a free upgrade, a table reservation in a full restaurant, better rooms in a hotel, nicer customer relations etc. It kind of elevates you socially to the upper class.

By the way the title of Professor is even more influential. In Germany (not necessarily Switzerland) these titles are always used in formal speech. For example Herr Dr. Wittmer (Frau if female) or Herr Professor Wittmer.

Another example is that in German scientific journals even if published in English it's usually written somewhere who is a professor, who just a Dr and who only a student. Americans or Brits don't do that.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 04:04:50 PM by Albert »

Mazzinator

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2013, 09:55:29 PM »
Me: B.arch & M.arch also, hold my arch license and general contractors cert. Now i wipe poopy butts (sahm) but i did work 8 years in the field and hope/plan to go back to something related.

Hubs has JD, and is in the army (they only paid for his undergrad) Now he has 7 yrs, 9 months and about 2 weeks until he hits 20 and can retire. He can hardly wait :)

TygerTung

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2013, 10:14:15 PM »
I'm an aircraft engineer, so I guess I have a vocational education? In New Zealand we call it a trade certificate.

thurston howell iv

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2013, 05:38:11 AM »
Vocational, at least in my estimation, would be skilled trades (e.g.: carpenter, chef, plumber, electrician, etc...)

little_owl

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2013, 10:05:12 AM »
Im surprised the poll skews so high in education level.  Why do you guys think that is?

I have heard from MMM haters that his practices are not possible without a high level of income (we all know they are just being complainypantsy)...but do you think that his message just resonates more with those who are burnt out, well educated, and looking for a higher purpose in life beyond the 40-90 hour+ workweeks??

What say you, MMM followers?

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2013, 10:52:59 AM »
Im surprised the poll skews so high in education level.  Why do you guys think that is?

I have heard from MMM haters that his practices are not possible without a high level of income (we all know they are just being complainypantsy)...but do you think that his message just resonates more with those who are burnt out, well educated, and looking for a higher purpose in life beyond the 40-90 hour+ workweeks??

What say you, MMM followers?

Yep.

I mean, who the hell grows up thinking they want to be a lawyer?  I discovered a trove of grade school documents my mother kept in the attic, and in the third grade I specifically said I wanted to be an astronaut.  And I remember lots of other kids wanting to be firemen, baseball players, and perhaps doctors, but nobody that I can recall wanted to be a desk jockey/paper pusher.  But the lure of an "easy" lifestyle -- my carpenter step-dad always said "get a job where you can use your brain and not your back, kid" -- and the remuneration it brings was too much to resist, for varying reasons, not the least of which was status.  I mean, shit, in my family being the first lawyer ever was a BFD.  But the vast majority of law jobs are simply about helping the very rich keep more of their money -- far fewer are about bringing about societal change, or defending the weak/poor/innocent.  Perhaps those jobs are fulfilling, but the majority do not appear to be.

thurston howell iv

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2013, 11:40:55 AM »
I'm not surprised, having hung around here for a little while. I figured it was up there based on my totally-non-scientific observation that most folks here are well spoken and thoughtful in their responses.  I don't usually get the same vibe from other web boards I frequent.

Additionally, well educated does not always translate into "high level of income".

So, does this mean that we're smart enough to know that we're not making or saving as much as we should and coming here looking for insight, guidance, or inspiration?

mgreczyn

« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2013, 12:29:54 PM »
I also received over $1 million worth of military training and I have the certificates to prove it.  Yee haw.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2013, 01:55:41 PM »
I have a Bachelor's. It's all I've ever needed for my field!

kolorado

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2013, 02:14:52 PM »
"High School Only" seems like an unfair way to lump everyone in together from those who may have just barely made a high school diploma to those who are lifelong learners with some college or education beyond high school.  There are about 40 MILLION adults in the US who click the "Some College" box. "Some" is more than "High School Only".
I vote "Some College".

imbros

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2013, 02:56:33 PM »
Masters.

Franklin

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2013, 03:11:43 PM »
HS Diploma - Came from a blue collar family with no pattern of higher education.  Hustled since I was 14.  Served 6 years in the military.  Started and sold my first technology company before I was 30.  Working now because I love it.  NONETHELESS - I am still in awe of those with higher educations.  Tip of the hat.