Author Topic: What kind of water do you drink?  (Read 42068 times)

SantaFeSteve

• Stubble
Re: What kind of water do you drink?
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2015, 09:55:10 AM »
Tap.

Municipal water supplies are highly regulated, and the price is also highly subsidized. Good ol' USA tap water is cheaper, safer and better tasting than almost anything you can find.

SantaFeSteve

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2015, 09:57:54 AM »
Tap back at home. But my current place has hard water, so I ended up using Brita. Although this thread is making me rethink my choices. After all, I cook, wash my dishes, brush my teeth, and shower with water straight from the tap.

I boil all my drinking water, so that should be sufficient.

Acorn, where do you live that you feel the need to boil your tap water? Although there have been a few incidents with municipal water supplies, the reality is that drinking tap water is incredibly safe and boiling it is just a huge waste of energy.

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2015, 10:40:28 AM »
Back in Ohio I drank tap water - Columbus had really great municipal water.

Here in Florida I drink Brita filtered water and cut the cost with couponing/target brand replacement filters.  There are "boil alerts" pretty frequently in surrounding counties.  I figure that if my county goes under a boil alert and I don't get notified or see the news right away, at least the filter is catching a portion of the grossness.  It's not a big enough concern to switch to bottled water though - I've already eaten the cost of a basic pitcher filtration system.

Those boil alerts are often for only potential bacteria contamination. Usually around here they are when the system potentially lost pressure. Note that I said potentially, not actually. A loss of pressure leads to the *potential* for back siphoning or pulling in contaminants which can lead to bacteria in the water supply. I think they're overly conservative to do a boil order when it was simply a *potential* loss of pressure, but that's me, not a regulator of the water supply, and when I was I was low enough on the totem pole that my opinion didn't matter. Then, of course, there are boil orders for actual bad samples, which are often from sampling error but can be from bacterial contamination of the water supply. These are relatively rare.

Catomi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2015, 10:45:35 AM »
We drink unfiltered tap. We use distilled for ice cubes because chilling our water precipitates stuff, and DH hates floaties in his drinks.

I remember my grandpa's house having a lot of iron in the water, which made it taste funky. His solution was to chill it; he said he noticed the taste less when it was cold. I don't remember how well it worked (I haven't been back there in years).

tracylayton

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2015, 10:50:22 AM »
Unfiltered tap.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2015, 10:51:45 AM »

When our young European cousins were here on a visit I tried to get them to drink the tap water but they would not. They went to Walgreens and stocked up on cases of water. I find that to be ridiculous, but to each his own. DH says that in Switzerland (where they are from) everyone drinks bottled water. I can't see why, what about those clear mountain streams?

This is true, but I don't know exactly why either. Perhaps everyone simply has been fought that it's not proper and folks in this country love following rules. Quality is fine here as well…

I drink bottled water at work because it's supplied for free. At home I don't drink pure water at all, only tea and apple juice.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2015, 11:04:41 AM »
Filtered tap.  I went through chemo several years ago, and it does weird things to your sense of smell and taste.  I could smell the chlorine in a glass of water from across the room.  I couldn't drink  it.  Dh put in a filtered tap on the kitchen sink.  My sense of smell never returned to normal entirely, so I continue to use the filtered water.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2015, 11:45:22 AM »
When our young European cousins were here on a visit I tried to get them to drink the tap water but they would not. They went to Walgreens and stocked up on cases of water. I find that to be ridiculous, but to each his own. DH says that in Switzerland (where they are from) everyone drinks bottled water. I can't see why, what about those clear mountain streams?

I bet cows poop in those clear mountain streams and you'd get giardia if you didn't boil that water 5+ minutes ;)

But on a serious note, I don't know about Switzerland but in Russia everyone drinks boiled tap water or bottled water because you really can't trust the municipal water supply. Wouldn't put it past other countries to have had the same problem, at least 1-2 generations back, and these habits don't go away instantly. My parents brought the boiling habit with them, and I grew up with it (we usually had leftover water from all the tea we drank, anyway, but instead of reheating it we just threw it in a bottle or pitcher), but it was too much of a hassle in college, and the water from the drinking fountain in my hall tasted good, and no one got sick. Now I drink from the tap if it tastes good to me, or from a filter if it doesn't. Not a huge expense to encourage the excellent habit of water-drinking (and reduce consumption of sweetened or alcoholic beverages)!

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2015, 11:58:16 AM »
I used to drink unfiltered tap and felt fine, but after a while I noticed I was drinking less because it just had a weird aftertaste to it. 

Now I use a Brita filter and it tastes so much better.  I am one of those who doesn't drink unless I'm eating or I'm thirsty... which is bad, I know.  I try to keep a glass filled next to me so I get in a better habit of drinking during other times as well.

oldfierm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2015, 12:06:04 PM »
Brita.  Never did it before living in Guam, but the water did NOT taste good there (and later I found out they'd had problems with contaminated tap water in the recent past).  Have since moved back to the continental US, but kept the Brita pitcher.  I also like to put it in my coffee maker because the coffee even tastes noticeably better! 

Quinn

« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2015, 12:28:10 PM »

I bet cows poop in those clear mountain streams and you'd get giardia if you didn't boil that water 5+ minutes ;)

But on a serious note, I don't know about Switzerland but in Russia everyone drinks boiled tap water or bottled water because you really can't trust the municipal water supply. Wouldn't put it past other countries to have had the same problem, at least 1-2 generations back, and these habits don't go away instantly. My parents brought the boiling habit with them, and I grew up with it (we usually had leftover water from all the tea we drank, anyway, but instead of reheating it we just threw it in a bottle or pitcher), but it was too much of a hassle in college, and the water from the drinking fountain in my hall tasted good, and no one got sick. Now I drink from the tap if it tastes good to me, or from a filter if it doesn't. Not a huge expense to encourage the excellent habit of water-drinking (and reduce consumption of sweetened or alcoholic beverages)!

I grew up in southeast asia, and back home we put a cloth filter over the tap and boiled all tap water before drinking. The water quality got better as I grew up, but my parents (and grandparents) still insist on boiling all drinking water. I've lived in a few places since but I've brought the boiling habit with me. I boil water for tea and whatever's left goes into a jug for drinking water.

Jomar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2015, 12:52:35 PM »
Tap- in the States you're much better off drinking tap water. It is held to a significantly higher standard than bottled water. (I'm in Canada, but our standards vary province to province, and federally we only have Health Canada guidelines, whereas in the States there are national standards. Even still, our tap water is amazing where I am).

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2015, 01:03:35 PM »

Here in Florida I drink Brita filtered water and cut the cost with couponing/target brand replacement filters.  There are "boil alerts" pretty frequently in surrounding counties.  I figure that if my county goes under a boil alert and I don't get notified or see the news right away, at least the filter is catching a portion of the grossness.  It's not a big enough concern to switch to bottled water though - I've already eaten the cost of a basic pitcher filtration system.

Those boil alerts are often for only potential bacteria contamination. Usually around here they are when the system potentially lost pressure. Note that I said potentially, not actually. A loss of pressure leads to the *potential* for back siphoning or pulling in contaminants which can lead to bacteria in the water supply. I think they're overly conservative to do a boil order when it was simply a *potential* loss of pressure, but that's me, not a regulator of the water supply, and when I was I was low enough on the totem pole that my opinion didn't matter. Then, of course, there are boil orders for actual bad samples, which are often from sampling error but can be from bacterial contamination of the water supply. These are relatively rare.

Considering how well other governmental duties are handled in Florida, I still like the added sense of comfort.  Likewise, these boil orders seem to be every other month in a different surrounding county.  Merited or not, it seems a bit to frequent. :-)

And I already own the pitcher and the pitcher also takes out the slight sulfur tinge of "Florida water".

LadyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2015, 02:04:46 PM »
Bottled water

We tried using Brita a while back, but the water would get moldy, even if we cleaned the pitcher and used a new filter.

PEIslander

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2015, 02:18:54 PM »
I think that's one of the simplicity gift of life that parents can give their children: teach them to drink water. Not flavored water, just tap water. Don't get them accustomed to drinking flavored liquids meals. And when they've been exercising and playing, let them learn to enjoy the satisfying thirst quenching nature of pure water.

+1

Having easy access to clean, safe, great tasting water is something to be appreciated with every glass. "Mmmmm... Waaater... " (Say that in a Homer Simpson voice).

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2015, 02:26:13 PM »
During the spring and sometimes at other times the tap water here is really awful. It smells like agricultural chemicals and I'm told that runoff can be a problem at times. I tried to drink it but the smell turned my stomach, especially when it warmed up on long runs in my water bottle, so now I use a pitcher with a Brita filter. Much, much better.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2015, 02:31:55 PM »
Tap water at home, filtered water at work since the fridge there dispenses it. We both have water bottles we refill regularly.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2015, 02:34:45 PM »
I drink water that's been filtered through a Brita pitcher.  Our regular tap water tastes like ass.

johnstein

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2015, 02:38:40 PM »
I drink up at work, so I dont have to drink when I get home.  probably saved me $2 a month.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2015, 02:54:02 PM »
I have a deep addiction to fizzy water - so I either use the Soda Stream w/ filtered tap water (fridge and sink both have filter) or I spring for a bottle of soda water (.42 a bottle). I don't buy bottled flat water.

I have a tendency to get dehydrated (my office is ridiculously dry) and have had a few kidney infections as a result - fizzy water motivates me to stay hydrated, so it is worth the expense for me.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2015, 03:25:21 PM »
We drink tap water, at room temperature. We live in Calgary and our drinking water is of excellent quality, as attested by the results of the water quality testing posted on the city website.

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2015, 03:47:51 PM »
Tap

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2015, 04:41:21 PM »
Whatever come out of  the tap.

Years ago I worked in a very old building, most of which was warehouse space.  Whenever they worked on the plumbing or otherwise jostled the pipes the "water" would come out a rusty brown color.  That's when I started using a mug with a dark interior for my tea.  I think I was the only one who drank the water during those times.

MMMdude

• Bristles
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2015, 07:57:56 PM »
Personally I drink tap water after ditching a water cooler we had.  Water cooler wasn't all that costly as we would go through a large bottle every couple of months but it took up space and I am always trying to declutter.

My wife drinks cans of carbonated water.  not a horrible habit, but at 12 cans every 5 days it adds up and I'm not 100% sure it qualifies as water.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2015, 08:24:59 PM »
Tap water, unfiltered. My city's water supply is fine, no need to filter. I don't like ice cold water, so I prefer to drink straight from the tap. Water and tea are my favourite drinks.

There are some small towns within a few hundred km radius of where we live, though, where the water tastes funny. Then I won't drink the water (but usually we've brought water with us from home, and can muddle our way through with that, particularly if we get fluid intake from tea instead). 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2015, 09:06:22 PM »
Pure, sweet tap water.
DH works for the water district. When we were house hunting, we only looked within this district because the water quality is so superior to the surrounding areas. As a bonus, now he walks to work.

Crazy water aside. We had to buy a counter-depth refridgerator for this house. I don't like outside the door dispensers because they drip water and generally look crappy after five or six years. Virtually all of the counter-depth models have dispensers, so we chose a model with the water dispenser inside the door. My MIL and her pal Al Z. Heimer moved in with us not long after. She uses that damn dispenser all.the.time. She will even try to fill pitchers with it. She's never had a fridge with any kind of dispenser and you can't see it from the outside, so how the hell does she know it's there? We seldom use it because our water is so good and the filters are expensive. In addition, if you don't stop the flow and wait for the last drop of water, it ends up in the produce drawer. Of course I know my MIL's been using the dispenser when I find soggy lettuce. Okay, thanks for letting me vent...

Elle 8

• Stubble
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2015, 06:28:11 AM »
Unfiltered tap water.  I live in an area that's pretty high on the list of water quality.  I don't notice any taste to it at all.  Also, it comes out cold enough that I don't need to refrigerate it.

DesireeD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2015, 12:28:25 PM »
Unfiltered city tap water.

JetsettingWelfareMom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2015, 12:43:28 PM »
Tap filtered with Brita. I had headaches with tap alone....high aluminum maybe?

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2015, 06:10:27 AM »

Considering how well other governmental duties are handled in Florida, I still like the added sense of comfort.  Likewise, these boil orders seem to be every other month in a different surrounding county.  Merited or not, it seems a bit to frequent. :-)

And I already own the pitcher and the pitcher also takes out the slight sulfur tinge of "Florida water".

(FYI - I spent 7 years in Florida in the municipal water industry.) Florida's water regulations are pretty strict. Water is a big deal there - the whole tourism industry is centered on it. So everything from drinking water, to wastewater, stormwater, reclaimed water, etc is ahead of the curve. Some of their treatment standards are essentially double what some other states require.

Also, if there is a lot of construction going on your boil water alerts will probably go up - like KCM5 noted, if there is a loss of pressure you will get an alert. So if there is a lot of construction going on, the likelihood of an accidental line break goes up, which results in a boil water notice.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2015, 07:08:38 AM »
Tap back at home. But my current place has hard water, so I ended up using Brita. Although this thread is making me rethink my choices. After all, I cook, wash my dishes, brush my teeth, and shower with water straight from the tap.

FYI I'm pretty sure a Brita filter does not make the water less hard. You'd need a salt filter for that.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2015, 07:36:34 AM »
Tap water always, everywhere.

(And I totally thought this thread was going to be a joke before I opened it! :))

Riff

• Stubble
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2015, 08:34:13 AM »
Tap- in the States you're much better off drinking tap water. It is held to a significantly higher standard than bottled water. (I'm in Canada, but our standards vary province to province, and federally we only have Health Canada guidelines, whereas in the States there are national standards. Even still, our tap water is amazing where I am).
This is so true.  Our city water in the US is regulated by the EPA, whereas bottled water is regulated by the FDA. 

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2015, 03:31:21 PM »
Sounds like we have a lot of people knowledgeable about municipal water systems. Here's a question: how can one have any certainty of what's going on between the water testing point and consumption point (i.e. home faucet)? Particularly if you're in a rental (no control over pipes).

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2015, 03:50:02 PM »
We have the best municipally supplied water in the country. Each year it wins an award for taste.

LOL, I just saw recently that Tulsa won some kind of award for best municipal water in the southwest.

I drink unfiltered tap at home and filtered at work. And I drink a fuck ton of water. I guess I'm lucky because I have lived in a few different parts of the US and have yet to live somewhere with tap water that I wouldn't drink unfiltered. I find if I leave a cup of water sitting out for a few hours at home, it tastes weird and I have to dump it out and get a new one. No idea why that is. Also, when the city started using chloramine in 2012 I swear it tasted weird/gross straight out of the tap, but I could leave it for ~10 minutes and then it tasted fine... now I don't even notice it, I don't know if they changed anything or if I got used to it.

Bottled water enrages me, maybe to an irrational extent (other than of course in countries with a sketchier water supply, I get that).

(And I totally thought this thread was going to be a joke before I opened it! :))

Haha, me too :)

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2015, 09:51:38 AM »
Sounds like we have a lot of people knowledgeable about municipal water systems. Here's a question: how can one have any certainty of what's going on between the water testing point and consumption point (i.e. home faucet)? Particularly if you're in a rental (no control over pipes).

The water testing point is the consumption point. Municipalities are required to test water actually at peoples homes and businesses. For example, a municipality will test lead levels in a home with piping that would have the potential to leach lead into the water after that water has sat in the pipes for approximately 8 hours. So people open the tap for a sample for the municipality in the morning. That said, I still run water to clear out my taps every morning before I take a drink. If you have more concerns about it, call your city and ask them their sampling procedures/requirements. Most are more than happy to discuss it. Also, requirements vary quite a bit based on facility size.

MontanaMoneyMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2015, 09:56:20 AM »
Tap water filtered through the refrigerator.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2015, 09:57:18 AM »

The water testing point is the consumption point. Municipalities are required to test water actually at peoples homes and businesses. For example, a municipality will test lead levels in a home with piping that would have the potential to leach lead into the water after that water has sat in the pipes for approximately 8 hours. So people open the tap for a sample for the municipality in the morning. That said, I still run water to clear out my taps every morning before I take a drink. If you have more concerns about it, call your city and ask them their sampling procedures/requirements. Most are more than happy to discuss it. Also, requirements vary quite a bit based on facility size.
I'm not sure what to think about having never encountered/heard about water testing at my home or school, or seen anyone do it...

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2015, 10:16:33 AM »
Tap water at home for me.  GF drinks filtered tap water at home in our Brita pitcher.  I'll drink from it sometimes if it's on the table next to me.  I prefer the taste of tap water though.

At work I'm the only guy that drinks from the tap, because it tastes better than our water cooler and its Fancy Weekly Water Delivery 5 Gallon Jugs.  I will use the water cooler for hot water to brew tea.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2015, 10:19:18 AM »

Me too, I thought I was in the AWSC subforum for a bit.

The only place I've had unpleasant tap water was the water fountains at the Phoenix airport.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2015, 10:24:36 AM »
The water that comes out of my fridge.

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2015, 10:34:08 AM »

I'm not sure what to think about having never encountered/heard about water testing at my home or school, or seen anyone do it...

Yeah, me neither until I started working with public water utilities. They really do do it, though! Obviously, not at your actual home, because they'd organize it with you, but they do it at peoples homes. Some of the sampling they have the residents do (like the lead tests) and others, like bacteria, they do themselves.

TheBuddha

• Stubble
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2015, 10:42:29 AM »
Bottled spring water. I don't want to drink the fluoride in tap water.

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2015, 10:49:32 AM »
Tap, but I only have 16-20 oz (my morning wakeup glass) of plain tap a day. The rest of my fluid intake is a single cup of coffee and then iced tea. I do brew the tea at home using tap water.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2015, 10:58:58 AM »
Shhh - don't tell my DH.

We drink unfiltered tap water from the fridge that I secretly reset the filter light on every time it turns yellow.  DH swears the fridge water tastes "so much better" than the tap because it is filtered. I haven't replaced the filter in years.

Quinn

« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2015, 11:25:01 AM »

FYI I'm pretty sure a Brita filter does not make the water less hard. You'd need a salt filter for that.

Brita is just activated charcoal, which is not supposed to do anything about hardwater. But I get limescale buildup in my kettle and humidifier without it, so it must be filtering out something. (?)

Michael792

• Stubble
    • Rising Ascendant
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2015, 07:13:07 PM »
Whatever I can get. I've done international travel, high school band, military, international work.. I've drank from tap, hand-dug wells, creeks in several countries, bottles, bags, mountain springs, hand-pumps.. I'm not sure there is a water source I haven't had in the US or overseas.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2015, 07:18:19 PM »
Brita pitcher.  I swear it is mostly the colder temp that makes it taste better. 

vagon

• Stubble
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2015, 07:32:16 PM »
Tap. And when I get super fancy I use a soda stream to give my tap water bubbles.

If I was more mustachian I'd get a let spendy CO2 set-up. The cost of CO2 with sodastream canister is way higher than normal canisters.

Riff

• Stubble
« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2015, 08:02:32 PM »
Tap. And when I get super fancy I use a soda stream to give my tap water bubbles.

If I was more mustachian I'd get a let spendy CO2 set-up. The cost of CO2 with sodastream canister is way higher than normal canisters.
If you are a homebrewer and keg your beer, you could use this cheap fitting to get your bubbles into the water:

http://www.amazon.com/LiquidBread-The-Carbonater/dp/B0064OKADS/ref=pd_bxgy_k_img_z