Author Topic: What kind of dog do you have? What are your costs?  (Read 16584 times)

cbr shadow

• Bristles
Re: What kind of dog do you have? What are your costs?
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2015, 06:16:30 PM »
We have (2) dogs.  A 80lb boy and a 65lb girl.. both small for their breed.
We spend a good amount of money on them directly, and even more indirectly.  Here's what I mean..

We moved from Chicago to Melbourne Australia 18 months ago and brought the dogs with.  My wife's employer covered moving costs, but it was about $12k to move JUST THE DOGS here.  Flights, quarantine, vet visits to legally bring them ,etc.

Direct:
Dog food in Melbourne is expensive, especially since we need grain-free food for their allergies.  ~$200/month for dry food.
Vet visits are more in Australia than in the states - Vet visits for the year were $300.  Not bad at all since we have very healthy dogs
Dog toys/treats/equipment are all expensive here

Indirect:
If we didn't have dogs we'd live in a small apartment in this HCOLA, but because we have dogs we rent a house which has a backyard and allows dogs.  That's roughly $1000/month more than the apartment would be.

We're very close to lots of really great places to vacation that would be extremely expensive to visit from the US, so we take advantage of cheap flights to exotic places in AUS.  The dogs need to stay in a kennel though, which is expensive.

We could live without a car in Melbourne if we didn't have dogs, but getting them to the vet/kennel requires a car.  Cars are expensive in AUS (bought on Craigslist so not quite as bad, but still expensive) plus registration and other fees are crazy here.

I could continue to list things, but these are the big ones.  Obviously if you're relocating very often it doesn't make sense to have 2 big dogs, but we already had the dogs before this opportunity came up, and the pay increase makes up for these expenses may times over.  Still shocking to see what we spend to have dogs!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 02:28:38 PM by cbr shadow »

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2015, 11:29:40 PM »
Looks like I'm the third corgi. Mine is almost 7 and has severe allergy issues. Other than that his only problem has been cracking a molar chewing on a cow hoof (he doesn't get those anymore). He's cost about $10k so far, but a lot of that was new pet parent panic.

We're insane and are picking up our 3/4 Bernese Mountain Dog, 1/4 Labrador Retriever mix puppy this weekend. We were going to wait til the student loans were gone (soooooo close), but they only breed this mix every 18 months and my puppy fever probably wasn't going to hold out that long. My husband has wanted a Bernie since the day he saw his first one, but I balked because of their health issues. Past litters of this mix seem to have a good track record for the breeder, so we're hopeful she'll be healthy (and cheaper!).

I probably spend too much in dog ownership, but if I'm honest, my corgi is probably my favorite thing about life. I'm beyond excited to have another dog to train. It's amazing watching them learn and integrate into your household, then it feels like they were always there.

Allison

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2015, 07:40:59 AM »
I have a 10lb, 11 year old Pekingese.  He is the lowest maintenance toy dog I have ever met. $8 per month on cheap senior dog food that he loves more than the expensive stuff.  Plastic water bottles, tortilla chip and pesto are his favorite things in the world.  He will go on 2.5 mile hikes in the woods with me then sleep for the next day.  Most expensive thing about him is boarding when I travel for work.  He doesn't like facial hair on people so I have to make sure the kennel is aware.  Wouldn't trade him for all the money in the world.

thurston howell iv

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2015, 07:41:11 AM »
Rott and a Chow- (both rescues)  We do our own vaccinations, food is relatively cheap with some Rachel Ray dry and various meat/ meat juice varieties. They love "guts" that can be purchased cheaply at wal mart. I think the bag of food is like $15 and lasts the good part of a month. "meat juice" (we get from ground beef drippings, bacon drippings, etc. to flavor the dry food.) Guts- consist of chicken livers, hearts, gizzards, etc... 

One of the dogs had to have an expensive surgery but both are relatively cheap to maintain. They also guard the house and yard.
The big drawback is that boarding would be insane and they tend to be less than friendly with strangers so I'd worry about leaving them with other people- so vacations are OUT.... So, we do stay-cations all the time.

Plan is to eventually find a small, older motor home to renovate and then we can take our little friends with us along for the trip! (They'd love that)

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2015, 08:00:17 AM »
Where do you live where you only pay $100/yr in vet bill?? I don't think I can walk in the door for less than $150! Any checkup, shots whatever is always $200+, at least.

We have a 10+ year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi we adopted. Mint told me the Pet expenses last year were $2,000, and $1,700 year before. This is mostly boarding. A weekend we can't take him with us is easily $150, and our 1-2 week vacations abroad can cost $500-600+. I'd feel bad handing him off on someone to watch, and he can be a bit hard to handle (doesn't like dogs, kids, and eats your stuff) so prefer boarding. Good thing is a $50 bag of food will last months, we buy maybe 2-3 of those per year.

edit: checked Mint's breakout of expenses. Last year was $1,100 in boarding and 600 at the vet. But one expensive visit was some tests that proved negative and likely unnecessary. I think our vet is a giant scam and they push test by making me feel bad if I don't get them.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 08:09:39 AM by Scandium »

Apocalyptica602

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2015, 08:09:17 AM »
We have 2 Shih Tzu-Maltese mixes from the same litter (sisters!). They're about 3.5 years old now, 13lb and ~10lb.

Our largest costs come from boarding them, since our friends who we traded dog sitting with moved away.

Food is pretty cheap because they're tiny, $30-40 every few months. Toy costs are almost nil, they have so many because my mom loves to spoil her 'grandpuppies'.

Checkups and vaccines fall in line with what others said, they're chipped and spayed, and get heartworm and tick repellant. Thankfully no major health issues yet.

Mostly just using this as an excuse to share my dogs =)

When we buy a house we're thinking about getting 1-2 more dogs. I want a Corgi and my wife wants a Golden Retriever.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2015, 09:18:25 AM »
He doesn't like facial hair on people so I have to make sure the kennel is aware.  Wouldn't trade him for all the money in the world.

That is strangely specific. I've met dogs that don't like men, or don't like women. Never one that just preferred his males clean shaving. Is your pup's dislike the result of past mishandling, or is he just anti-hipster?

For me, my dog hates cats. Despite years of patient training, she will still attempt to kill any feline she crosses paths with. She once had the head of a family cat in her mouth, and she was chomping hard. Near disaster. She's a rescue dog, so I'm always left wondering if some cat traumatized her before I got her, or if there's actually some truth to the ACME inspired dogs-hate-cats shtick.

Rightflyer

• Bristles
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2015, 09:40:56 AM »
Where do you live where you only pay $100/yr in vet bill?? I don't think I can walk in the door for less than $150! Any checkup, shots whatever is always $200+, at least.

Too true!

Our vet drives a Mercedes SLK350.
We always used to joke about taking the dogs to the vet to "make another payment on the Merc'".

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2015, 10:26:50 AM »
Sweet pics of dogs.:)

Our vet is really good about fees as they are a small family run place. You can pay by installments if you have a large bill as well which is good.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2015, 03:54:29 PM »
We have a 3yo Great Pyrenees, about 120lbs.  We feed him one quart a day of mid-grade kibble, which runs us about $75/month.  So far, no vet visits other than routine ones, which is about $150/yr.  Flea treatment is about $10/mo for 8 months a year.  We bathe and brush him ourselves, and trim his nails.  He sleeps inside, but spends all day outside.  We haven't needed to board him yet, but there's a great place near us that charges $23/night, and we'll end up using it for 2 nights this year around Christmas.  The only gear we've bought him is a collar, leash, harness, raised feeder/waterer, nail clipper, and two brushes.   

The only big expense from him is that he, like most Pyrs, is a wanderer.  We've spent a couple hundred on additional fencing supplies to block his escape routes.  He makes up for it by being an enormous, sweet, marshmallow of a dog.  He's amazing with kids, thinks he's a lap dog.  He also barks and pees along our fence line and scares the coyotes and deer away.   

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2015, 01:51:57 PM »
Geeze. I must have jinxed myself. Had the dog in today for routinely shots and the vet thought his spleen seemed a bit swollen. X rays show a tumor. $1500 to get it removed :/

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2015, 04:03:22 AM »
Geeze. I must have jinxed myself. Had the dog in today for routinely shots and the vet thought his spleen seemed a bit swollen. X rays show a tumor. $1500 to get it removed :/

Sorry, I hope he recovers well, poor thing.

Allison

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2015, 07:06:28 AM »
He doesn't like facial hair on people so I have to make sure the kennel is aware.  Wouldn't trade him for all the money in the world.

That is strangely specific. I've met dogs that don't like men, or don't like women. Never one that just preferred his males clean shaving. Is your pup's dislike the result of past mishandling, or is he just anti-hipster?

For me, my dog hates cats. Despite years of patient training, she will still attempt to kill any feline she crosses paths with. She once had the head of a family cat in her mouth, and she was chomping hard. Near disaster. She's a rescue dog, so I'm always left wondering if some cat traumatized her before I got her, or if there's actually some truth to the ACME inspired dogs-hate-cats shtick.

I have no clue where the hatred came from; one Christmas my cousin was up from Houston and Piper would bark and back away from him the whole weekend.  I have had Piper since he was 8 weeks old so no past rescue trauma issues.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2015, 09:37:36 AM »

Oh, I'm sorry :-(  My sister just had the same thing happen with her dog about a year ago.  If it makes you feel any better, her dog came through surgery like a champ and has been just fine since. 

Molzy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2015, 10:06:29 AM »
We have two dogs, both about 40 lbs, adopted from shelters. One is a German shorthair mix, the other an Australian cattle dog. We don't split out their costs from our cat, but all three combined we budget $200/month. Boarding fees we consider part of our vacation costs, not pet fees, so those are on top.

Overall the dogs aren't too bad. We go through one bag of $50 dog food a month (Merrick Chicken and Rice, they don't do well on grain free) and I think heartworm is about $20/month? Not sure. They've been on frontline in the past, but we stopped using it this spring when it coincided with some odd medical issues with the cattle dog, and haven't decided if we'll do it again...they don't go to dog parks, or interact with many other dogs.

The German shorthair has had three surgeries since we got him, totaling about $1200 or so I'm guessing. He had entropion (eyelids too big, so the fur scrapes their eyes). The first surgery didn't correct one of the eyes enough, and he ripped the second surgery open the day he had his stitches out, so had to go back in. Luckily we were in a small town at the time, so we aren't charged anything extra for a Sunday morning emergency surgery, though we did have to wait until after church!

We occasionally buy them new toys or a bag of treats, but by now they've accumulated quite a few. We probably need to do training classes again, but haven't decided if we want to splurge on that at the moment.

I think their yearly vet visit was about $250-$300 combined, but we didn't need to buy any heart gaurd at that time. The few extra visits we've had (fungal infection of the skin, wounded foot from a game of fetch, digestive upset) have been $70-$200 a time, and have happened about once a year. 

I guess we technically wouldn't have had to fence in our yard if we didn't have them, which could've saved us $1900. We considered that a cost of buying our home though, rather than including it in the dog costs, just how we do it.

To us, they are worth every penny. We get a lot of joy out of them.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2015, 11:03:41 AM »
I have a 10lb, 11 year old Pekingese.  He is the lowest maintenance toy dog I have ever met. $8 per month on cheap senior dog food that he loves more than the expensive stuff.  Plastic water bottles, tortilla chip and pesto are his favorite things in the world.  He will go on 2.5 mile hikes in the woods with me then sleep for the next day.  Most expensive thing about him is boarding when I travel for work.  He doesn't like facial hair on people so I have to make sure the kennel is aware.  Wouldn't trade him for all the money in the world.

Ha! My dog also doesn't like facial hair, smokers, or motocycles. Have a 12 lb, 6 yr old rescue terrier. Boarding is usually our largest expense, though this year had some major unexpected dental cleaning/extractions totaling over $700. Apparently small dogs can have awful teeth issues!

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2015, 07:04:06 PM »

Ha! My dog also doesn't like facial hair, smokers, or motocycles. Have a 12 lb, 6 yr old rescue terrier. Boarding is usually our largest expense, though this year had some major unexpected dental cleaning/extractions totaling over $700. Apparently small dogs can have awful teeth issues!

Dentals can be a small fortune!

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2015, 06:05:57 PM »
Two 3 year old standard poodles.  They *could* be very expensive dogs.

However.

My adoption fee for the two of them was $80 all in.

$200 for shots and three year licenses.

Probably $100 for those things dogs need... collars, leashes, a couple of toys, etc.

$100 or so for a mid range pair of clippers and trimmers so I can groom them myself.

And around $25/month for food and treats.