Author Topic: What kind of bike for an 8 mile commute?  (Read 5360 times)

decessus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What kind of bike for an 8 mile commute?
« on: August 01, 2014, 11:19:08 PM »
Hi,

So I have about an 8 mile commute to work and back.  I was thinking about getting a used Schwinn Discover Men's Hybrid Bike (700C Wheels) ... I would only need to carry a lunch (with 1 small tupperware container) and an 8.5 x 11 leather portfolio.  Will this work as I transition to a more mustachian lifestyle?  Or are there other bikes to consider?

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
Re: What kind of bike for an 8 mile commute?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 03:34:05 AM »
Yes it'll be great.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 05:53:01 AM »
Not familiar with the particular model. Schwinns in general are merely okay, not good, not terrible.

Hybrids in general are the best commuting bike unless it stretches past 10-15 miles one way. You may find yourself needing/wanting a bigger lunch once biking, however. Just an FYI. My commute is 22 miles round trip and I eat double the lunch I did clown car commuting.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 08:51:41 AM »
I would not buy a Schwinn.  The quality is not very high.  If you are buying it used, likely a lot of parts will wear out on you.  If you become a cycling enthusiast and progress in the sport, you will likely be sorry you bought one.  I would test ride Trek, Specialized, Giant and some of the other quality brands.

Don't just look at the price of the bike.  Keep in mind that repairs and parts are expensive and the learning curve for doing them yourself are super steep.

capital

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 12:30:54 PM »
Hi,

So I have about an 8 mile commute to work and back.  I was thinking about getting a used Schwinn Discover Men's Hybrid Bike (700C Wheels) ... I would only need to carry a lunch (with 1 small tupperware container) and an 8.5 x 11 leather portfolio.  Will this work as I transition to a more mustachian lifestyle?  Or are there other bikes to consider?
That bike would be decent as a starter bike:
http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Discover-Mens-Hybrid-Wheels/dp/B0030U8SU6
So long as you get a good deal on it used— probably $150 max if it's in perfect condition. And, like any bike, it's only a good deal if it actually fits you. If you decide you like biking for the long haul, or want to try longer non-commuting trips, you'll probably want to sell it on.

Pros:
-fenders & a rack stock
-sensible upright commuting position
-not a cheap mountain bike-- no power-robbing rear suspension or knobby tires

Cons:
-suspension on the front robs power, and is another potentially breakable part
-everything is pretty low-end
-the weird spoke arrangement on the wheels is potentially less durable
-if mail-ordered or bought from a department store, the bike was likely poorly assembled/tuned, and could need signifcant work to get working properly

decessus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 02:06:06 PM »
Thanks for all the useful suggestions everyone....The Schwinn 700C in the Amazon link above comes with a device on the back (it looks like) for carrying things, if a bike doesn't come with that, is it pretty easy to buy and install a carrying device yourself?  (I ask because I read that carrying a backpack makes you all sweaty and my workplace doesn't have lockers/showers, so I wouldn't want to come in all sweaty)

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 02:40:53 PM »
Rack is no problem:  http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/ProductDisplay?storeId=10053&langId=-1&catalogId=10052&productId=552295&utm_source=Google_Product_Search&utm_medium=pla&utm_campaign=datafeed&cm_mmc=Google_Product_Search-_-PLA-_-Datafeed-_-Topeak%20Explorer%20Tubular%20Rack%20with%20Disc%20Mount&CAWELAID=400006960000028660&source=googleUS&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=1572651360&cadevice=c

I use this pannier for to/from work.  You might consider a water proof one or encapsulate your belongings in plastic:  http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Trunk-Bicycle-Molded-Panels/dp/B000ZKES0S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407011902&sr=8-1&keywords=topeak+dxp+trunk+bag

There's all kinds of panniers, take your pick.  The topeak rack has a track for various kinds of bags/panniers which makes things a bit easier (in my opinion), but take your pick.  You can even use bungy cords with any bag...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 02:44:29 PM »
You can pick up a rear rack for pretty cheap from just about anywhere.  The important thing to check is if the bike you're planning on buying has mounting points for the rack.  You're looking for a drilled hole near the rear axle, and two drilled holes (one above each of the rear brake bosses).  As long as you've got these mounting points it's very easy to attach a rack to a bike.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 04:26:13 PM »
I have a women's Schwinn hybrid.  It's about 16 years old.  I used it to commute 10 miles one way for awhile.  It's not the best bike but it's lasted fine, but did need new gears a couple of years ago.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!