Author Topic: What is your weakness? (Related to your budget)  (Read 30268 times)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What is your weakness? (Related to your budget)
« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2014, 10:34:19 AM »
I have switched to cheaper bars for daily eating however, and only buy the best for special occasions. That helps keep it special too.

I actually did the opposite.  I switched to better quality dark chocolate (min 70% cacao).  I'm satisfied with much less...and every day is special.  It's my afternoon slump buster! 

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2014, 11:14:55 AM »
I just found MMM recently and thought I was doing pretty good (I get called cheap a lot), but I realize I still have a long way to go.  My two big things are. -- 

1.  House, over 2800 square feet for two people and a dog.   We moved to a new community recently and automatically moved up thinking I wanted a big yard with privacy out of town, and needed a big house for all the crap I accumulated and surely would continue to keep.  Now I am getting rid of stuff and realize this is way too much house.

2.  Commuting/cars.  We bought a brand new Subaru Outback for my wife to ensure we could get in and out of our steep drive in the winter.  While raising four kids we always erred on the side of living in a suburb with good schools while the nature of my job means I travel to downtown.  So I thought in my recent relocation that cutting this to 15 miles and only 20 minutes was smart.  This site has helped me realize just how expensive the commute really is.  Even biking out of my neighborhood would be difficult because of the mountains and the need to cross a highway just to get to the nearest store.

BrianT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #102 on: August 25, 2014, 12:58:06 PM »
Like many have listed, my biggest weakness is dining out. Since 2012 I went on a meditation retreat, and since leaving I've made major strides in reducing my attachment to material, which happens to be a core philosophy here on MMM. I easily spend anywhere from $500 to $800 just on dining out. It's accumulated from taking my family out, occasional work lunch, dining with friends, and mostly dining with my significant other. I also happen to like eating out, it's a joy to check out different restaurants and see what the chef has cooked up.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!