Author Topic: What is your side hustle and would you recommend it?  (Read 11286 times)

uspsfanalan

• Stubble
What is your side hustle and would you recommend it?
« on: September 13, 2013, 12:17:33 PM »
    I was inspired by MMM's list of jobs for 50k without a college degree. I'd like to transition away from sales into something else but I don't know what. I've been brainstorming some ideas for a side hustle as a way to test out a possible carrier change.

Tool dealer - I met a guy on Craig's list who buys 10k worth of Dewalt Drills and such, sells them locally via Craig's list.

Energy Auditor - Start up costs are around 5k to 10k. I saw that someone on the forum was selling energy in a deregulated state and it looked attractive but it wasn't available for my state.

Bike repair/flipper - I have a goodwill right near my house and I occasionally find bikes in decent shape that I could repair and sell on craig's list. I did that once and made a small profit. The only thing I did was pump up the tires. :) I like that people would have working bikes to use.

Mini solar system installer - setting up a non-integrated system for sheds or water fountains.

Traditional real-estate buy/fix/rent investor

Fence Builder - I've put a few fences in around my property and enjoyed the work, I would likely need to invest in a work vehicle if I wanted to pursue this.

This is just a link that has a good number of side hustle's listed.
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/08/15/be-your-own-boss-37-side-hustle-ideas/[/li][/list]

I would enjoy hearing about your side hustle and how well it's been going for you.

KatieSSS

• Bristles
  • "Because of your badassity, babe!" - My GoudaMan
Re: What is your side hustle and would you recommend it?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 02:05:04 PM »
My side hustle is waitressing. I'd recommend it when you have a debt emergency. I'm so grateful I have the skill now as well, because it is something I can tap if I ever find myself out of a job.

But, it is hard physical work. When I'm no longer in debt, I'm going to pursue some less physically-straining side hustle. I'll keep one waitressing shift a week after I pay off my debt, but I won't waitress forever. If some other side hustle ends up earning me more money and I enjoy it more, I'll quit waitressing.

dorkus619

• Stubble
    • SimplyBex
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 04:37:29 PM »
I have considered waitressing or tending bar, but I have a terrible memory, I'm shy, and I'm clumsy, so I think I better pass on that one!

One thing I do every now and then is web design/development jobs on the side. It used to be my full time job but now I'm in a more generic/print design job so I can do small to medium websites on the side (before, I had a non-compete). It takes patience, troubleshooting, a certain way of thinking for coding, and a creative side also.

Looking forward to hearing some other side hustles - I'm always considering what else I could do.

tomsang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 04:43:05 PM »
I think there are few of these forums, but here is the last one I commented on.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/who-has-a-side-gigjob-that-brings-in-extra-cash-share-with-us!/

thepokercab

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 06:20:02 PM »
I've had some success doing some online freelancing with Elance.  I mostly do database work, and have made about $1000 since i joined in mid-July.  Most of the jobs on there are crap and end up going to somebody overseas who will work for $2.50 an hour, but I've managed to find a few clients that are willing pay a decent wage.  I've got about three clients that now give me continuous work.  You definitely need to put some work into it in the beginning though in order to get clients to pay attention to your proposals, build your profile, etc.. 

I've had to work a bit though on balancing my side hustles with my personal time.  There have been some nights and weekends the last few weeks where I find myself working on free lance stuff when I'd rather be hanging out with friends/family or relaxing.  Definitely believe in finding a balance...

One thing I also learned that I just didn't really know before I started is unless you're really confident in how long a job will take you, avoid fixed price jobs and go with hourly only.  I took a few fixed price jobs in the beginning, and found myself working too many hours for what I ended up getting paid.   

Overall though, i would recommend it, especially if you have a specific savings goal you are working towards.  Its been pretty nice to see $1,000 go into our savings account that I didn't originally account for.  $1,000 closer to that house down payment! 

« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 06:22:20 PM by thepokercab »

basd

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 08:23:00 AM »
I've had some success doing some online freelancing with Elance.  I mostly do database work, and have made about $1000 since i joined in mid-July.  Most of the jobs on there are crap and end up going to somebody overseas who will work for $2.50 an hour, but I've managed to find a few clients that are willing pay a decent wage.  I've got about three clients that now give me continuous work.  You definitely need to put some work into it in the beginning though in order to get clients to pay attention to your proposals, build your profile, etc.. 
Same here, I just started doing some side work through Elance as well, and while there is a metric cr*pload of jobs on there at wages I wouldn't get out of bed for (seriously, $1 or less for writing original articles over 500 words?) there are some good jobs to be found. The tricky thing is getting yourself hired for those. I've only just started and have found a perfect first job myself. It won't pay off my house but it's a good start and a nice way to get my feet wet.

D. Ann

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 06:12:39 PM »
I'm a freelance writer/editor on oDesk. I made a profile last year but only really started getting into it in June after my job went through a round of layoffs and I barely escaped getting axed. By late August I had 2 reoccurring gigs that can make me anywhere between $600 and $1,000 a month depending on the workload for the week.

I'd totally recommend it. It's a great way to get experience and a little extra money on the side for savings/debt repayment.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 09:30:05 PM »
I've never had a side hustle, but right now I'm investigating a couple of ideas:
Being a mystery shopper. I don't know anyone who does this, but it looks relatively straight forward to get an ABN and become a freelancer for the mystery shopping sites, and it requires no special skills / start up costs.
Jewellery making (beading) which would sell on etsy or ebay. Low start up costs, easy to get to a basic skill level. 
Sewing simple projects that make good gifts, and selling them on etsy or ebay. There's definitely a market for baby gifts, heat bags etc. Again, low start up costs, easy to gain the skill level necessary to do it as a small side hustle.

uspsfanalan

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 07:03:11 AM »
I've never had a side hustle, but right now I'm investigating a couple of ideas:
Being a mystery shopper. I don't know anyone who does this, but it looks relatively straight forward to get an ABN and become a freelancer for the mystery shopping sites, and it requires no special skills / start up costs.

My wife worked doing data analysis for a company that employed mystery shoppers. If you can find a niche that is hard to get filled it can be quite rewarding. For example, Cinnabun used to do mystery shopping and they had a hard time finding someone to go to do the shop at the airport. If you had a job that would give you clearance to the airport anyway, or were a frequent traveler, you could get paid $35 for 10 minutes of work and you'd get a Cinabun to boot. Other than that it tended not to be rewarding, $7.00 to do a shop at Burger King. I had a friend who got laid off so he did some shops for a while. He got to the point where he would take 1 bite of the meals, do the survey and throw the rest of the food out.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 04:45:05 PM »
Doesn't sound like it's anywhere near well paid enough to tempt me given that it wouldn't be inherently fun and creative the way that, for example, making jewellery is.

Thanks for sharing the insight :-)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!