Author Topic: What is your purpose in life? What is your passion?  (Read 5967 times)

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
What is your purpose in life? What is your passion?
« on: March 18, 2015, 09:11:28 AM »
I am very interested to hear about peoples' philosophies on life.  Specifically, for you...

What do you deem to be your purpose(s) in life? Please consider that for the sake of this thread, purpose is different than goals or values; I see it as moreso the positive attributes you possess and the way those are shared.  (Example:  Some consider their purpose is to help others learn and become teachers.  Just a very basic example as purpose and job/career need not be aligned.)  I would think most people would attribute their purpose(s) to qualities that are inherent, although your purpose(s) may align with characteristics or talents you possess that were learned.

What are you passionate about?  By passionate I mean what things in life do you value the very most/feel the most strongly about?  Could be anything from freedom to health, family, wealth, status, a hobby, sports...intangible or tangible things.

It's ok if you haven't figured out one or both of the above.  If not, are you doing anything to figure it out?

For those who can answer the two questions above, when did you discover your purpose(s) and when did you discover what you were passionate about?

Wow, that was a lot to ask of people to share.  But I'd love to hear people's responses.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: What is your purpose in life? What is your passion?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 09:20:16 AM »
Well, agnostic athiest biology nerd weighing in here. Purpose: to fulfill my biological imperative. Having children and raising them as healthfully as possible is my purpose in life. Luckily, I have a wonderful partner who shares the same world view.

Passions are many. Nutrition, nature, helping others (I'm in healthcare, no surprise there), growing/raising/preparing my own food, fitness, reading, I'm sure there are more.

Purpose wasn't "set" until after some solid existential/spiritual crises when I was late teens/early 20s. Then it just... clicked I guess. Reading everything I could get my hands on certainly helped.

Passions are fluid and have been pretty constant throughout my life. It's what I find myself doing even if I don't have the time, I'm not getting "rewarded" for it, and I'm just drawn to it.

mrshudson

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 09:28:19 AM »
(a) I don't believe I have a purpose in life. At least one that's definable as being distinct from goals/values. (Edited to add: I'm fine with that, and to an extent even happy about that). When did I realize that - sort of always, but more concrete when I see other people need a purpose in life, and noticed that I didn't seek one.

(b) Passion - too many to list, but briefly, history, politics, art, civilizations, and more recently, attributable to the amazing night skies we are having around here - backyard astronomy. Activities that involve my passions include reading, watching documentaries, visiting other cities and countries to learn, and recently, tinkering around with my telescope. Since age five or so, been in awe of night skies.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 09:34:09 AM by medusa »

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 10:08:02 AM »
Cool question(s).

I am still trying to figure out my purpose, and I suspect I'm not the only one.  I think a lot of it has to do with love.  I feel that I was put on this Earth to give love.  I've thought about it and my personality, and how I am sometimes closed off, so it seems like those two parts of my psyche collide often.  I don't love or "click" with everyone.  But the ones I do, it is an all-consuming force that drives me.  I feel fulfilled when I am able to give my love and the recipient receives it appreciatively... that's when I feel like I'm doing "good work". 

Passions... kind of along similar lines, but I value friendship pretty much above everything.  I have forged some friendship bonds that are much stronger than my familial bonds, or that have over time morphed to resemble more familial bonds (if that makes sense).  Another passion is music.  There are certain artists that when I listen to their music live and/or get to support them in their endeavors (by hosting private concerts etc), I get this "alive" feeling like I've never felt before.  Truly amazing. 

I discovered the seedlings of my purpose during high school... I struggled terribly and it was a very dark time for me, but love and the light got me through it.  I listened to music incessantly.  As far as the music passion, it's always been there but has grown in recent years due to bonds forged with some singer/songwriters and artists that have become very dear friends.  I have connected with a few on very deeply emotional/spiritual levels and our friendships have been growing from there.  What's nice is that with many of my friends, we can pick up right where we left off, regardless of how long (time or distance) it's been.  Some of them I only see 1-2x a year, but it's as if nothing has changed and the friendship is just as strong.  Others, the only change is that it's for the better... the bond gets stronger and stronger the more we start to trust each other.

Anyway... this stuff has always fascinated me.  I studied Sociology in my undergrad so that's perhaps why ;)

Write Thyme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I will get there one day.
    • Simple Living. Saving + Frugality. Meal Planning.
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 12:29:37 PM »
I've always thought my purpose was/is to help people. In third grade every project was revolved around "helping the homeless" my teacher tried to convince me that not all homeless people are "real and needy" but I didn't see that for myself until high school sometime. I always shared what I had with others. I am the listener, and people, even strangers, are drawn to talk to me about their problems.

Passions...always been writing. I wanted to be a famous novelist when we started writing stories in Kindergarten. Coffee, music, wandering cities (Seattle) at night to experience the atmosphere (lights, leather, lace, the chill in the air, smell of cigarette smoke, music, etc.) driving without a purpose. Hiking. Baking. And more recently minimalism and frugality.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 12:31:11 PM »
I have a 1-year-old daughter.

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 01:12:17 PM »
1.  Purpose- to educate adults.  I would do this and have even if not paid.  When I attain FIRE status, I will still do this work.  There are so many adults who feel that "school" is not for them not realizing there are so many other options.  There are also many adults who don't know or feel like they can do what they want to do b/c parents have said "x was good enough for me and it's good enough for you".  I love seeing the moment when they think "to hell with this!  I'm going for that goal over there!"  Lightbulb moments are the BEST!

2.  Passions- oy vey.  I have so many.  My husband gets tired of dealing with my interests.  Here they are:  1.  writing- published a couple of fiction novels and have 2 blogs, 2. Animal rescue- specifically exotic animal rescue and advocacy- I volunteer with a tiger rescue  3.  Veggie gardening and homesteading- fits into the mustachian way of life  3.  my kids- they are NEVER boring  4. creativity- I freaking love the new and different

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 01:38:59 PM »
I have a 1-year-old daughter.

Aww. I smiled.

As for me, I'm still figuring these things out... that's what your 20s are for, right?

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 02:21:06 PM »
I have it written down as a reminder. For me,

"The meaning of life is to love".

That is my purpose.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 02:25:21 PM »
The same as everyone else's.  Reduce entropy on a local level.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 02:32:34 PM »
i like figuring out ways around systems and norms in life. 

Life Hacking / doing things people say cant be done.

zoltani

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 02:48:47 PM »
I am a purposeless thing!

Kashmani

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 05:27:25 PM »
To be a bread, i.e., loaf.

mrshudson

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 07:03:59 PM »
Reduce entropy on a local level.

I like it that you qualify it with "locally". For those who are curious but don't know this yet, I'm very sorry to break it you, but the entropy of the universe always increases which is why time moves in one direction - forward. :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 10:09:12 PM »
Reduce entropy on a local level.

I like it that you qualify it with "locally". For those who are curious but don't know this yet, I'm very sorry to break it you, but the entropy of the universe always increases which is why time moves in one direction - forward. :)

That we know of.

;)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

valk001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 10:32:38 PM »

My purpose in life, I feel, is to fix the healthcare industry in our country.  It is horrible and inefficient.  I spend about 80% of my day thinking about it/ studying it and getting the degree’s needed to change it. 

Now, what am I passionate about?  I am passionate about learning and expanding the knowledge level of others and myself.  Take the education system, it produces students that are not scientifically literate which sets up a future that can’t be an innovation nation if education is subpar.  In addition to that, I am also passionate about the electric car/ bike trend.  I think it is very good for not just our country but also our world as it mitigates/ reduces climate change (not to mention the disruption of the typical electrical industry model. 

I also love helping others achieve or peruse their dreams.  Being able to see them grow is an amazing thing that will affect future generations.

Lastly, I am passionate about health.  If you can’t take care of yourself now, then you are taxing the “system” later on and your quality of life will be decreased. 

I discovered this when I was at a low point in my life.  I was 20 and right out of a failed marriage and I was about to get kicked out of my job.  But my work supervisor and my mentor pulled my head out of my ass and set me straight.  It was one of the best things that ever happened to me because from the lowest point of my life I found out what I love to do and what (I think) I am here to do. 

Nyarlathotep

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 11:30:56 PM »
A lot to ask but some great though provoking questions.

I am still trying to figure out what my purpose or calling is. I am pretty passionate about my work as a Marine with influencing and leading my junior Marines. I am also passionate and in love with my job with in the Marine Corps as a metrologist (The science of measurement). It is a science and an art that is dedicated to quality and is very important in a very behind the scenes way. Outside of work I find heath and fitness (Weight Lifting) to be one of my callings along with simply learning all I can be it books or just trying new things. All of that sort of leads me to my underlying calling for independence in all ways and to help others achieve it.

Again I am still trying to figure everything out and still want to find more passions to help me have a fuller life. The discovery of my current passions or callings came over time but were really brought out over the past two years or so.
As always I am still in search for new things to learn about or get into. This message board in particular is a great place to come for inspiration and food for thought.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!