Author Topic: What is your monthly clothing cost? What does it buy?  (Read 35274 times)

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
Re: What is your monthly clothing cost? What does it buy?
« Reply #100 on: January 02, 2018, 10:19:00 AM »
Clothing is one area I've not had trouble with in my budget.  Most clothes I buy secondhand if I need something, save socks, underwear, and shoes.

My 2017 clothes spending was ~130 for the year, and that included replacing a couple bras (and I don't buy cheap bras) and a dress for a wedding. I reduced my annual clothing budget to $120 for 2018, because I shouldn't need to replace much.  Maybe some underwear and a pack of socks, leaving a little for some NEW jeans, and a few thrift store shirts.

I did suffer a couple losses in the shirt department in 2017 which I haven't replaced yet.  A grease accident, a hole, and one sweatshirt got a mysterious stain on the arm that I have no idea what from.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: January 02, 2018, 04:29:19 PM »
I also can't imagine a monthly clothing cost.  My spending in that area barely registers on a yearly schedule.  I often joke I've got more than enough clothing to last the rest of my life and I get more free clothes than I have to throw out each year!  Between vendor supplied and volunteer event stuff, most of my needs are met.  Nearly all of the remaining needs get covered with the occasional pair of pants I'll get from a relative for xmas.  Really, the only thing I buy is shoes and I've been wearing the same pair for at least 4 years now (maybe longer, I just recently noted I was wearing them in a picture from 4 years ago...).

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2018, 11:58:02 AM »
I set aside $50 a month as clothing budget just to maintain some discipline. But I end up spending only about $300 for the whole year for self, DW and DD combined. We 3 buy new clothes for our wedding anniversary. I buy one pair on my birthday, DW on hers and DD gets a pair on her birthday. If I end up purchasing additional clothing because of a sale somewhere, then the following purchase is cancelled and I save the new clothes until the next event. I guess it's a age thing. We just lost interest in clothes. We still wear them but are not very particular on what.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2018, 12:12:35 PM »
Not exactly the question at hand, but information that might be useful for someone: 

If you are on Medicare (which means you're over 65) and are diabetic, you can get two pair of shoes FOR FREE from the Orthopedist every year.  GOOD shoes, but you must see the Orthopedist regularly to qualify. 

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2018, 12:25:59 PM »
I looked at my spreadsheet and for clothes it has been
2014  1248 (104/mo)
2015 1665 (139/mo)
2016 966 (80/mo)
2017  1014 (85/mo)

Up until April 2016 was a 4 person household, then on a 1 adult, 2 kids household. I don't shop every month. It is on a as-needed basis.

Included are Halloween outfits. Also included (maybe should break out?) clothes for my Mom that she needs, (winter coat, undergarments). My sister takes her and I pay, and that will stand in for my xmas, mother's day gift. For Xmas I often get my kids new clothes. It is included above.
I made some good choices, but there have been some losses. I bought a beautiful pair of Italian leather booties for $60 on ebay, but they are a little too small (gambled on size). I can't wear them or return them. I will either bring them to consignment store, or as they are so nice, wait until my youngest can "inherit" them in her teens.  I wasn't able to replace my boots this year, but was able to replace my worn out Fossil bag with the same like-new one on Ebay (win!). I probably won't need to buy much of anything clothing-wise for myself this coming year, except for boots and a rain jacket (still looking).

« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 06:37:01 PM by partgypsy »

pegleglolita

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2018, 02:49:37 PM »
I think this can vary wildly depending on whether you are retired or work in an environment in which you are expected to look a certain way.  Especially for women in business, there can be immense social pressure to have clothing that is varied, in good condition, well-fitted, and of a certain quality level.  I've personally decided that it's better for me to have a smaller number of expensive items that fit well and will last if taken care of.  Then I augment with thrifted/consignment finds when I want to look more "on trend".  For our family of four we spent about $2000 last year.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: January 03, 2018, 10:36:46 PM »
I looked at my spreadsheet and for clothes it has been
2014  1248 (104/mo)
2015 1665 (139/mo)
2016 966 (80/mo)
2017  1014 (85/mo)

Up until April 2015 was a 4 person household, then on a 1 adult, 2 kids household. I don't shop every month. It is on a as-needed basis.

Included are Halloween outfits. Also included (maybe should break out?) clothes for my Mom that she needs, (winter coat, undergarments). My sister takes her and I pay, and that will stand in for my xmas, mother's day gift. For Xmas I often get my kids new clothes. It is included above.
I made some good choices, but there have been some losses. I bought a beautiful pair of Italian leather booties for $60 on ebay, but they are a little too small (gambled on size). I can't wear them or return them. I will either bring them to consignment store, or as they are so nice, wait until my youngest can "inherit" them in her teens.  I wasn't able to replace my boots this year, but was able to replace my worn out Fossil bag with the same like-new one on Ebay (win!). I probably won't need to buy much of anything clothing-wise for myself this coming year, except for boots and a rain jacket (still looking).

About those booties have you tried stretching them? Several tricks out there include putting a potato in the shoe and another involves gallon zip locks of water that you put in the shoe and then put it all in the freezer.... Disclaimer I haven't tried these myself. I did have good luck with my cobbler stretching a pair; a good cobbler can tell you if it could work.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #107 on: January 04, 2018, 08:40:44 AM »
Re: the booties. I wore them around all day with thick socks. And then tried them with thin socks, but still felt too tight. I really fit the next size up. I'd rather have someone else wear them who actually fit the shoe, than ruin them in the process.  But at least I know the brand name and the right size, so I can keep hunting. BTW these shoes cost 200 new (I tried on the right (next larger size) in the store). Online even with the best discounts only drops down to around 140.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: January 04, 2018, 09:55:32 AM »
I'm also trying to improve in this category.

I dislike "shopping" in person but sometimes that's what the friends do for fun and I find something I like. I'm usually pretty frugal (goodwill, thrift stores) but too often I'm finding myself ordering something online I didn't need but just wanted.

I deleted myself from about 10 or 15 email sites so hopefully some of the lure will be gone.

I think my daughter is big enough now I'm not constantly shopping for clothes now except for shoe replacements. So I should save there.

I think it's mostly a cheap thrill and boredom that has led me down this path but and I definitely need to suck it up and do better. I won't say I'm on a 'no buy' but I'm definitely on a buy 'lite' and can't think of anything I'll need for some time.

We are doing some traveling this year and I like to get T-shirts from where I've been. Maybe I'll "save up" for those t shirts instead of buying crap at the mall.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #109 on: January 04, 2018, 11:54:20 AM »
We don't have a monthly budget, but do have a yearly budget for a family of 4. We spend around $1200/year.

In 2017, the biggest expenses were:
-soccer uniforms ($300+ for two), but they are typically good for 6 seasons. I occasionally have to replace the soccer socks, as they play 3-4x/week, and get holes in them.
-Running shoes for me, at around $150
-New shoes for the kids. Cleats (1x/year) & regular shoes (2x/year). Two kids, so a total of 6 new pair for the year. We try to get hand me down cleats, when possible. It doesn't always work out. I'd say we spent around $300 on the shoes.
-2 new pair of pants (jeans/warm up pants) per kid, so 4 pair total.

The rest was sort of random stuff: new bras for me (Target), socks (kids get so many holes in their socks!), new hoodies to replace lost ones, etc.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #110 on: January 05, 2018, 01:17:01 PM »
I don't really have a monthly clothing budget, but when I need something, I buy it. I don't go shopping just for fun, or to "browse." I would say that I buy 2 new pairs of pants every year...nice quality, Prana or Patagonia, and they last me for a few years. I tend to be super hard on clothing, and so I feel like I'm wearing through pants every 2-3 years. I don't buy many "cute" shirts/skirts/dresses...and if I do it's at the local consignment shop where they have great lightly used brands that I love.
I spend a lot of time outdoors, skiing, hiking, mountain biking, etc...and live in a very cold mountain town, so I have a ton of outerwear that would probably be seen as extravagant on this forum. I use every piece of it, and I'm never bummed that I spent $300 on a down jacket. I also work in an industry where I get a lot of deals and very expensive outdoor brands, so I try to buy the nicest thing I can afford. Even so, when you ski 60+ days a year, bike 250+ days a year, and hike the remaining days, stuff wears out fast.
So I would say every year I estimate I spend about $1000 between a new jacket, or pants, or a couple new pairs of riding shorts, hiking shoes, base layers, running shoes, tights, etc...I also sell older stuff that I no longer use that is in good shape, or that I bought and realized wasn't what I needed. I would estimate that half of what I spend on outdoor apparel/clothing is money that I made selling older, used gear. 

heybro

• Stubble
« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2018, 11:28:50 PM »
I spend less than 200.00 a year, so 16 a month.

I mostly use it to buy shoes and socks.

I tend to wear the same shirts, blue jeans, and work shirts over and over.

I'm actually planning on buying fruit of the loom shirts next which will be all the same color for wearing at home.  That way no one knows if you've worn it twice without washing because you *always* wear that color shirt.  haha.

Clothing should be utilitarian.  I think the powers-that-be realized people would buy more if they made shirts different colors and put different things on them.  Wear the same shirt or jeans every day, you don't need as many kinds.

Anon in Alaska

• Stubble
« Reply #112 on: January 08, 2018, 12:04:09 AM »
It depends on what wears out or lost. Mean = maybe $200/year.

New 6 pack of briefs every year $18. New 6 pack of t-shirts every 18 months $19. New six pack of socks every three years (less than $20). Two new turtleneck shirts @ 23.95/ea year. New $45 jeans (LL Bean and worth it) once/year. New $50 wool sweater every two years. New hoodie every other year $20. New sweat pants every four years $15. A few new inexpensive short sleeved shirts every three years (I only need these when I'm in the lower 48). New long underwear once/year (Costco) $10. New $50 basketball shoes (they have more padding) every two years.  New terry bathrobe every twelve to fifteen years (not sure what these cost, maybe $60?). New $20 bathing suit every ten years. New $150 down coat every twelve years.

New gloves and hats as needed, but I have so many right now it will be many years, less than $10/year based on past spending.
Have a lifetime supply already because I rarely wear them - dress shirts, ties, slacks, scarves, winter boots. $0/year (forward looking)
Have a lifetime supply already even though I wear them a lot - lighter coats, wool socks. $0 year (forward looking).
Don't wear - suits, costumes.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: January 08, 2018, 02:09:37 PM »
Monthly? Lol. I could probably go 5 years without buying anything but socks and underwear. Probably 10 years. I guess a benefit of not working in an office. Band shirts and Dickeies for me, plus work uniforms provided.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: January 09, 2018, 03:13:18 AM »

Clothing should be utilitarian.  I think the powers-that-be realized people would buy more if they made shirts different colors and put different things on them.  Wear the same shirt or jeans every day, you don't need as many kinds.

"Clothing should be utilitarian." Says who? I'm fairly certain there has never been a time in human civilization when this has been true. Even in fairly primitive civilizations, decoration and styling of clothing served to signal social standing and/or wealth of the wearer, and to appeal to contemporary aesthetics. Think how old arts like embroidery, dyeing, and weaving are. I think the rest is logical evolution from that...and I don't think "powers that be" had much to do with that.

We are probably closer than ever to losing the class distinctions of clothing (cheap suits vs startup CEOs in hoodies), but not there yet. And I doubt that even people on this forum could be universally convinced against considering color and aesthetics of their clothing in lieu of pure utilitarianism!

Whatever works for you individually is fine, certainly. But purely utilitarian clothing, by choice, would seem to be pretty revolutionary...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #115 on: April 10, 2019, 06:56:08 AM »
I have no budget.

I do, in fact, have an almost entirely utilitarian, monochromatic uniform style of capsule wardrobe made up of almost exclusively high quality merino wool items, mostly from Ice Breaker.

Oh, and a lot of formal wear.
My closet is kind of hilarious.

I have no idea what I spend on average as I buy what I need when I need it. Each item is quite expensive, even my socks are expensive, but it all lasts forever and I don't need much as I don't need work clothes. Several of my pieces are 10-20 years old.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #116 on: April 10, 2019, 07:11:20 AM »
I don't budget specifically for clothes, it's just part of "other spending."  However, I went through my spreadsheet for all of 2018, and spent a grand total of $80 for a new pair of shoes, or $6.67/month.  I did receive a few items as gifts for birthday/Christmas as well - a few shirts, slippers, a new bathrobe.  From the amount of clothing I've been decluttering and donating, it's clear I had no need to buy any clothes last year.  This year I expect to be a bit more, as a few items are close to wearing out, but probably not more than $25-30/month.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!