Author Topic: What is your favorite MMM blog post?  (Read 4915 times)

Spiliph

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

MikeBear

• Bristles
Re: What is your favorite MMM blog post?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 01:12:47 AM »

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 07:38:39 AM »
Newsflash:  Your debt is an emergency!   

It still amazes me to watch the spending habits of those with non-mortgage debt

Spiliph

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 04:45:57 PM »
Yep. Those are great posts. Once I discovered Mustachianism I couldn't see the world, and consumerism in the same light anymore.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache

Spiliph

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 02:01:59 AM »
I sold my 2011 Audi A4 after being convinced that I actually don't NEED a car. I still miss my car, and look longingly at Audi's as they drive past me but I have been fine without a car these past 2 months. For me the first article was way more impactful.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 08:09:15 AM »
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/01/13/the-shockingly-simple-math-behind-early-retirement/

This was by far the most powerful post for me.  I wish I'd read this the day I entered the workforce.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 08:16:27 AM »
Since it hasn't been mentioned yet: Frugality: The New Fanciness

Inkedup

• Stubble
  • Striving for FI.
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 08:17:19 AM »

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 02:57:35 PM »
I love the Hedonic Adaptation post about how lifestyle inflation doesn't actually make you any happier, just poorer.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/10/22/what-is-hedonic-adaptation-and-how-can-it-turn-you-into-a-sukka/

Alex321

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 06:30:33 AM »
Definintely this one, by a country mile:

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/01/30/your-money-can-work-harder-than-you-can/

That's what this is all about for me. I love cars, and I would never want to give them up. I don't particularly want to live in a small house, or ride my bike for anything other than recreation. I just want money working for me.

A runner-up would be the one where he uses the surfing and wave metaphor to point out how the person just slightly ahead of the crest of the wave can be totally coasting while someone else, only a few feet behind him (or, in real terms, just about the same by all outward appearances) is struggling mightily to keep up.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 10:33:28 AM »
The post that spoke to me the most is "A Millionaire is Made Ten Bucks at a Time."  I reread the post when I need a face punch. 

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/08/01/a-millionaire-is-made-ten-bucks-at-a-time/

This post spoke to me because I read it shortly after my income doubled.  Maxing out my retirement accounts was a given, but I was spending on silly luxuries that provided fleeting enjoyment. 

The other big AHA moment I had  was in the forum.  A forum member that posted he direct deposits part of his paycheck into his brokerage account.  It was so easy and hassle free.  That tip has helped me not worry about willpower because the money isn't hitting my checking account (so I can't spend it).