Author Topic: What is the most non-stache thing that you still do?  (Read 26716 times)

xixtrays

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What is the most non-stache thing that you still do?
« on: May 06, 2013, 02:41:38 PM »
I'm talking something that you don't need, that really has no place in living a frugal lifestyle and striving towards F.I.

Me:  I still get $65 massages at least once/month.  I know I shouldn't, but I have no intention of giving it up.

KatieSSS

• Bristles
  • "Because of your badassity, babe!" - My GoudaMan
Re: What is the most non-stache thing that you still do?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 02:43:10 PM »
For me it is setting aside some money for decorating my apartment. I also love massages and get two a year. I love them and wish I could have one every week.

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 03:18:24 PM »
Climbing and mountaineering is the closest I get. The ongoing costs are insidious because they're disguised as one-time startup costs, but in fact the gear wears out regularly and needs to be replaced.

The only other close thing is a 50-mile round-trip commute to work, but this is my last week of that!

ghaynes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 03:41:31 PM »
Maid at $190/month. Wife will not give this up.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 03:56:38 PM »
Climbing and mountaineering is the closest I get. The ongoing costs are insidious because they're disguised as one-time startup costs, but in fact the gear wears out regularly and needs to be replaced.

The only other close thing is a 50-mile round-trip commute to work, but this is my last week of that!

Mine's a 110km round trip. But it gives me time to read MMM forums so it's not all bad

Done by Forty

• Stubble
    • Done by Forty
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 03:59:01 PM »
DirecTV.  Our renter pays 1/3rd but, still.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 04:09:57 PM »
- I pay someone else to deal with my waste-of-resources lawn (that will change next year)

- Towing the camper all over the place in the summer with my F150 (not giving that one up)

PGH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 04:27:25 PM »
This is embarrassing... How I wish I could just give you one...

Get my hair cut at a salon. After years of cutting it myself or going to Great Clips, I finally figured out that my fine, limp, bane-of-my-existence hair looks freakin' FANTASTIC when it gets cut by a professional. Costs me $35 every 6 - 8 weeks. I color it myself.

Drive to the grocery store and work/errands in full clown regalia. Note: some of this will change when we move to our new house, although our icy New England winters do have a way of making the greatest resolutions fall by the wayside. On a brighter note, I bike or walk with my son to his school almost every day in non-icy weather (1.5 miles each way).

Go out for sushi instead of making it myself. (hangs head in shame...)

Buy too many perennials. Does the fact that I start my own vegetable seedlings make up for it? Probably not...

Joet

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 04:37:19 PM »
I think I've been told every single line item in my monthly budget is non-mustachian. So there's that.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 04:41:18 PM »
The horse.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 04:41:57 PM »
I still fly airplanes to the tune of around $5000 a year.  I also still have my racecars and drop about $5000 a year into them as well.  Both are decreases from previous years though...  :-)

ScubaAZ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • New Mustachian looking for FI by 40
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 04:46:08 PM »
The horse.

Me too!  Well, for now I've mitigated the cost by leasing him out, since I don't have a lot of time for him right now anyway.  But a big goal for FI is to have the time and money for a few horses I can actually enjoy.

I have other bad habits, as seen in my other posts, but I was excited to see another horse person here :)

Roastonbone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 04:52:56 PM »
Gardener; over $200/mo. I did the gardening myself for maybe 6 months before caving - unlike most people, when I'm outside in the sunshine tending to plants on a sunny afternoon, it makes me grumpy. I basically despise the outdoors.

Posthumane

• Bristles
    • Getting Around Canada
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 04:55:19 PM »
I still fly airplanes to the tune of around $5000 a year.  I also still have my racecars and drop about $5000 a year into them as well.  Both are decreases from previous years though...  :-)

Ditto. My airplane costs me something like 7-8k/year once all the maintenance, insurance, parking, fuel, etc. is added up. I've offset the cost slightly by renting it out, but it's not a huge difference. While I've been intending to downsize for a while I haven't been able to fully commit to doing so, and I doubt I'd give up flying altogether.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 05:08:26 PM »
Computer addiction - I just love getting, building, installing, configuring laptops and PCs. I have 3... 4 laptops (2008 netbook, second hand 2005? iBook, 2011 Dell Vostro, second hand 2008? Dell Latitude), a desktop (gaming), Playbook, iPad (which I hate but actually I use that for work - testing websites), etc, etc.

Bought a Crown Victoria about 3 months before I needed a car at all, and.. well, it's a Crown Victoria! (In my defense: It cost less than $3k, and I'm getting a hitch on it, and I managed to get 8l/100km on the weekend which is pretty amazing - 'ideal conditions' obviously!!)

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 05:15:05 PM »
I drive 2 miles to work each day, twice. 

Also, it's time I made a confession.  I am ... an adult fan of Lego.  *ducks the facepunches*  There really is no justification for this but it is super fun, nerdtastic, meditative, creative ... it's also fooking expensive.  I've toned it down since finding the mustachian way.  My little one and I play with them and I have a shameful amount that is mine, all mine.  There, I've said it.  :)  Heh.

Now I can make me a minifig avatar. 

bigchrisb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 05:19:07 PM »
I pay for a gym membership and a personal trainer.  I then drive myself to the gym.  Thousands of dollars a year I don't really need to spend. 

It drives me nuts, as I know I should be able to keep fit without it.  But I've always struggled with weight and fitness, and this means that I'm at least working on it.  As it seems to get results, I view it as expensive, but good value.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 05:51:32 PM »
Eating out. A lot. It makes me happy. I make up for it in other ways.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 06:38:07 PM »
Taking long multi day motorcycle trips (50 mpg).  Worse yet, long multi day boating trips (5 mpg).  Both do not usually include any lodging fees as I camp on my boat or stay with friends or rough it while on the motorcycle trips.  Also, food on the boat costs same as if I were home (I bring food with me).

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2013, 06:40:09 PM »
Live by myself - I could save $100 per month with roommates but it keeps me sane to have someplace quiet to come back to, know the cats are okay, and that I don't have to worry about anyone turning into a psychob*tch on me (been there = not.fun.).   

Sports - $60/month.  To be fair this works out great from a per hour perspective, is my main social life, and a great networking venue for my introverted self.  The community is amazing, is a part time job, and got me my current job.  So really, actually super mustachian.

nktokyo

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2013, 07:13:28 PM »
I go work in cafe's when I could work at home.

Reason is it gets me out of the house and I like their coffee. However it's paid for by passive income so I don't kill myself over it :-)

Stachsquatch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 07:23:41 PM »
Commute to work... it's only 6 miles too, but my wussypants excuse is that the highway I would have to ride along has no shoulder essentially, but I am not convinced that safety here is a valid excuse or me being lame.

Dynasty

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2013, 08:00:34 PM »
Financed a brand new 2013 automobile, that is not a hatchback. Commute 32 miles round trip five days a week. Bicycle has been in the basement with a flat tire for over three years.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2013, 08:38:49 PM »
Drive to the grocery at least 3 times a month out of four, despite living in flat, bike able Chicago. And proceed to spend an average of $400/month on groceries for two people. Also, my "shopping" budget of $200/month that always seems to run over....

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2013, 09:16:02 PM »
Also, it's time I made a confession.  I am ... an adult fan of Lego.  *ducks the facepunches*  There really is no justification for this but it is super fun, nerdtastic, meditative, creative ... it's also fooking expensive.  I've toned it down since finding the mustachian way.  My little one and I play with them and I have a shameful amount that is mine, all mine.  There, I've said it.  :)  Heh.

Hey, that's nothing to be ashamed of! (Well, maybe a face-punch for the expense of the bricks...)

My coworkers go *crazy* for Lego. They've got 6-foot tall space-needles, death-stars, etc... out on display at the office. It's fun to see what new stuff they've come up with. A wife of a friend has been building a Hogwarts academy for the past several years that she takes on tour to the various geek-cons. I think it's still growing.

MountainFlower

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2013, 09:19:13 PM »
I live in a 3500 sq foot log home + full walkout basement with a big honkin mortgage to go along with it.  It's passive solar...does that help?   We built this house (most of it DIY) and I have no plans to move.   I do plan to rent out the basement.

I drive 35 miles each way to work, in an SUV.  AWD is required equipment, but I'm not so sure that an SUV is

My skinny 6'4" husband is an eating machine and our grocery bills are insane.  Starting to get a handle on this, slowly.

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2013, 09:30:45 PM »
We have two vehicles even though we have so little need for two that I have been lending/leasing the Crown Vic to a colleague for weeks at a time while she is in town for the last 5 months (at least that offsets the cost somewhat). 

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2013, 10:50:46 PM »
The horse.

Me too!  Well, for now I've mitigated the cost by leasing him out, since I don't have a lot of time for him right now anyway.  But a big goal for FI is to have the time and money for a few horses I can actually enjoy.

I have other bad habits, as seen in my other posts, but I was excited to see another horse person here :)

Well, to be honest I'm sort of an accidental horseperson.  I'm friends with a couple: she's very much into horses, he doesn't ride at all, so for years I'd go along on her trail rides to keep her company, me walking/running alongside her horse.  And she kept nagging me that I should get a horse too.  Finally, under the influence of drugs (Zyrtec makes you stupid!) I gave in, and adopted this "free to good home" mare, the deal being that I'd pay food & bills, and she would keep it at her place with her 3.  So we get her home, I sit on her [once], and she develops hoof problems, racking up a thousand or so in vet bills &c.  6 months later, hooves are better and we're just about to start riding, when she kicks through a metal stable wall and darned near cuts her hoof off.  Just lucky we were there when it happened: I spent a hour trying to hold a tourniquet on the leg, wondering if she was going to bleed out before the vet could get there.  Don't even want to think about the vet bills on that one.  Then there was a couple of years of hand-walking her for rehab, before I could even think of riding.

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2013, 10:55:04 PM »
I dont have a bike (but a lot of fears and excuses!)

We do only have one car though, so my husband and I share it during the week. a couple of days I take the bus with the kids.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2013, 11:06:05 PM »
This is going to be quite the list...

I eat out or get takeaway, often more than once a week. (The food scene here is deliciously vibrant and multicultural.)
Take public transport instead of cycle, because traffic makes me nervous. (However, I don't have a car, so yay for that.)
Train martial arts. (Cool stuff, but not cheap.)

All that, plus travelling, and other things I spend on occasionally that I don't absolutely have to.

Still, I don't spend much on other things, and on a salary that is lower than average for where I live, I'm happy with my savings rate - 40%+. Having said that, if I could reduce or cut out the above, it could potentially get up to 50%+, so, yeah, something to think about...

orcas50

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2013, 11:20:42 PM »
Amazing that I've been reading this blog for over a year and this is the first post I choose to respond to... something about feeling less guilty about my choices after seeing that other aspiring Mustachians aren't perfect.

I have at least 3 non-mustachian things:
1. We downhill ski, buying season passes for our local ski area. We make it a goal for our family of 4 to ski at least least 20 days per season, which brings down the cost per day considerably, but still, skiing is hardly a Mustachian sport/activity.
2. I have expensive taste in outdoors-inspired women's clothing. Think Patagonia, REI, and anything from the Title Nine catalog.
3. We travel a fair amount, not always frugally. While we do our share of camping and hiking-type vacations, we have also gone to Hawaii every year for the past 3 years, and are planning our second (and last) trip to Disneyland with our kids in a few months.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2013, 02:27:00 AM »
We ski. My kids have had lessons for four years now.  We have a boat.  I have an expensive cell phone plan for business reasons.  I pay for an accountant to do my business and personal taxes.  We pay people to paint.

I have no problem with any of these things, except paying for personal tax returns which will change next year.  Why not?  I guess because we are financially ok, continuously investing, and these seem worth it based on my internal spending clock which Is usually pretty reliable.  Cable tv, new cars, new clothes, consumer debt, and a lot of eating out are out.

chatsc

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2013, 06:26:41 AM »
I love this thread.  It makes people seem so much more human...

We bought a cottage last year.  We have no plans to rent it out to offset the upkeep cost/mortgage payments.  It is mine all mine.   I don't even like to lend it to friends/family.  (haha, i don't even like to tell people where it is located...). 

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2013, 07:02:31 AM »
books.  i order books from amazon and line them up on my bookshelf and it makes me so happy! i tell myself that because i re-read them its okay that i pre-order all the new release and must own entire series.

and going out to eat sushi.  i like it a lot. 

and buying the fancy pants organic milk that comes in the glass bottle just because i am fascinated by it.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2013, 07:12:56 AM »
Well not EVERY line on my budget is non-mustachian, but we still have 59k a year expenses, mainly due to things I feel committed to see through, although I would not do again in hind sight e.g. private school fees, medium size SUV (7 years old, bought with cash). I'm projecting a reduction by 10k a year for the next 3 years as some of these commitments phase out.

Still pining for the horse, which will be my personal non-stache delight. I'm determined it will come.

jpo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2013, 08:40:26 AM »
A lot of these things I would argue are actually Mustachian, as you people are mindfully spending money on what is important to you.

My biggest one is this overpriced rental that is too far from work. We do like (most of) the neighborhood though.

cynthia1848

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2013, 08:46:46 AM »
Lots!

- drive to work (12 miles) instead of taking public transport, and park ($15/day)
- take-out too often
- we go out to eat at a nice place about once a week ($100 plus babysitting)
- I buy nice clothes and makeup
- We get cable with HBO

Taylor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2013, 08:59:45 AM »
Snowboarding. I love it like a fat id loves cake, but man is it expensive. Season pass ($400), gas to and from (In a Prius, so at least that's something). I rarely buy new gear, but every other year I need to replace something. This year I plan to buy a new snowboard coat as mine is old, stained, and no longer fits due to weight loss.

thefrugaltwo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2013, 10:30:20 AM »
I have super sensitive skin, so I buy really fancy all natural face sunscreen from the whole body store, there is only one brand that doesn't irritate my skin, so I spend about $27 on that every two months. I rationalize it because I don't really wear makeup or eat out, or spend much on anything else. Something about a nice skin product also feels really luxurious to me, like I went to a spa, it's cheaper than a facial I guess! 

I also feel like I spend a lot of money on razors, but every time I try to buy a cheaper brand they are TERRIBLE and cut me to pieces. If anyone has a good tip on razors, I'm listening! 

Oh and I almost forgot, I don't buy cheap footwear. I don't buy ridiculous designer things, but it has to be very high quality, I like real leather, well constructed, supportive shoes, and they just cost more than cheaply made shoes. It's worth it though because I'm a ballet dancer and I have worked too hard on my body/muscles/flexibility to mess up my feet with cheap shoes.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 10:34:05 AM by thefrugaltwo »

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2013, 10:46:31 AM »
You guys are amateurs!

Bad News: I have a big credit card balance and 3 car payments.

Good News: I'm in mustache mode and tracking to pay off all debts in about a year and a half.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2013, 10:48:51 AM »
Games. I enjoy a variety of games, video games, board games mostly. So every 5-8 years I build a fairly beefy PC that can handle for another 5-8 years with occasional upgrades.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2013, 11:08:57 AM »
I have super sensitive skin, so I buy really fancy all natural face sunscreen from the whole body store, there is only one brand that doesn't irritate my skin, so I spend about $27 on that every two months. I rationalize it because I don't really wear makeup or eat out, or spend much on anything else. Something about a nice skin product also feels really luxurious to me, like I went to a spa, it's cheaper than a facial I guess! 

I also feel like I spend a lot of money on razors, but every time I try to buy a cheaper brand they are TERRIBLE and cut me to pieces. If anyone has a good tip on razors, I'm listening! 

Oh and I almost forgot, I don't buy cheap footwear. I don't buy ridiculous designer things, but it has to be very high quality, I like real leather, well constructed, supportive shoes, and they just cost more than cheaply made shoes. It's worth it though because I'm a ballet dancer and I have worked too hard on my body/muscles/flexibility to mess up my feet with cheap shoes.

I don't know what brand of razors you buy, but if it's just the fancy Venus/Schick ones, stalk the CVS ads & your newspaper coupons. I have a stockpile that I've gotten for free in this fashion.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2013, 11:11:31 AM »
We eat out too much, once and sometimes twice a week. At least it's cheap here.

ScubaAZ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • New Mustachian looking for FI by 40
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2013, 12:00:10 PM »
The horse.

Well, to be honest I'm sort of an accidental horseperson.  I'm friends with a couple: she's very much into horses, he doesn't ride at all, so for years I'd go along on her trail rides to keep her company, me walking/running alongside her horse.  And she kept nagging me that I should get a horse too.  Finally, under the influence of drugs (Zyrtec makes you stupid!) I gave in, and adopted this "free to good home" mare, the deal being that I'd pay food & bills, and she would keep it at her place with her 3.  So we get her home, I sit on her [once], and she develops hoof problems, racking up a thousand or so in vet bills &c.  6 months later, hooves are better and we're just about to start riding, when she kicks through a metal stable wall and darned near cuts her hoof off.  Just lucky we were there when it happened: I spent a hour trying to hold a tourniquet on the leg, wondering if she was going to bleed out before the vet could get there.  Don't even want to think about the vet bills on that one.  Then there was a couple of years of hand-walking her for rehab, before I could even think of riding.

Oh my, that is terrible!  She is lucky that she found you, a lot of people probably would have put her down after such an accident.  We had a horse slit her throat on a dead tree stump and bleed out in minutes.  It was awful, knowing the vet couldn't get there in time, or really do anything to help save her.

I think the standard saying is that horse is the cheapest part of owning a horse, especially since they eat 30 pounds of hay per day, at $20 a bale (100 lbs) here in AZ.   I've grown up with them all my life, and I've raised my current horse since he was born-- he turned 13 this year.  So he's really like my 1,100 lb child at this point.  Funny you mention running next to the horse.  All through college, since I didn't have time to go to the gym and ride, I would run with him trotting along beside me like a dog.  I got some weird looks, but it killed 2 birds with one stone.

Arbor33

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2013, 12:17:37 PM »
I've got a couple.

My worst is that I end up buying things for friends/my lady friend. My friends are cheap so I often buy things with no reciprocation ie. drinks, food, and even a train ticket or two. The girl I'm dating tries to pay here and there but I feel so un-chivalrous accepting that I just don't.

In second, I've just acquired a puppy as a first time dog owner. Doesn't eat as much as a horse, but still an unnecessary expense.

I also drive more frequently than I ought to, and it's a truck I'm driving. A truck that's been financed! (almost paid off) I could take the bike to work but it wouldn't leave me enough time to come home and take the dog out. Makes it kind of tough.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2013, 12:42:01 PM »
I think the standard saying is that horse is the cheapest part of owning a horse, especially since they eat 30 pounds of hay per day, at $20 a bale (100 lbs) here in AZ.

Yeah, I used to joke about that with my friend, saying that if you bought all the other stuff, they should just throw in a horse for free.  Famous last words :-)

Hay's not so bad here, about $15/bale, and cheaper when we can buy it by the truckload from local farmers.   

Funny you mention running next to the horse.  All through college, since I didn't have time to go to the gym and ride, I would run with him trotting along beside me like a dog.  I got some weird looks, but it killed 2 birds with one stone.

I still do that on most every ride.  I know some people claim riding is exercise, but it's not for me, other than a few specific muscle groups.  So I'll ride a couple of miles, then hop off and walk or jog for a bit.  I also think it's good for building trust. 

But I think we're getting into thread drift territory...

maryofdoom

• Stubble
  • Jeopardy! loser since 2010
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2013, 01:06:20 PM »
I commute 16 miles each way to work--even though work gives me a bus pass--and lease a parking space.

(I've done the math on this. My hourly wage actually goes up if I drive myself to work, due to the overall crappiness of the public transit system to and from my house. I did find the cheapest possible parking space in the area, which is half the price of what the university charges to park in their lots. And I am petrified to bike all the way in, because the road is a 45-mph-speed-limit highway with no bike lane for about twelve miles, then goes straight through an unsafe neighborhood. And I am terribly out of shape and cannot figure out how to reliably shift gears on my bike to make it not suck to bike to places.)

We are none of us perfect.

SMMcP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2013, 01:08:27 PM »
I read this on another blog (Afford Anything): "I cut ruthlessly on things that don't matter so I can spend lavishly on the things I love most".  This is my philosophy too.  It sounds like this is what most of you are doing, avoiding wasting money on things that don't really add to your happiness so you can spend on what is really important to you.  Only you can decide what that is whether it is massages, climbing gear, snowboarding or books.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2013, 01:13:37 PM »
Living outside of town in a log cabin on a river. We have to drive to get most places, but the peace and beauty of the place heals my soul.

galaxie

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2013, 01:27:37 PM »
I have an expensive-ass house.  SO expensive.  ($715k.) Sure, it's a duplex and the other half generates income, but we could have lived out in the burbs instead of where we do.  It's just nice here.  I can't help it.  It's so nice.

I also have a $90/month gym membership and a $300/month "frivolous" budget.  And we eat out a lot.

But we carpool, we save enough money that we can retire as soon as the house is paid off (14 years at the latest), and over 60% of our non-savings budget goes toward aggressively paying off the house (our only debt). 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!