Author Topic: What is the most Mustachian thing to do with a garage?  (Read 6319 times)

Kaplin261

• Bristles
    • Michael Foutz
What is the most Mustachian thing to do with a garage?
« on: June 22, 2016, 08:15:12 AM »
I have a 2 car garage at the home I just moved into. This is the first time I've ever owned a home that has a garage.

So what do I do with this space? It seems silly to park our old 2008 Honda and 2011 Hyundai accent that have a combined value of $11,000. I don't think parking the cars in their will help my cars maintain their value better.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
Re: What is the most Mustachian thing to do with a garage?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 08:23:30 AM »
i park my cars in it b/c i dont like to clean them off in the winter before going to work.  but you could start a cross fit gym and charge people to come use it ... put a door in with a key card reader.

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 08:24:20 AM »
Fill it with bicycles and giant burlap bags of lentils.

In all seriousness, park your cars in there until you can think of something better.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 08:25:53 AM »
I think this is going to vary wildly by your lifestyle. 
* There is some benefit to garaging a vehicle other than protecting a high dollar car.  In the winter, it's not ridiculously cold.  The windshield is not covered in ice.  In the summer, it's not boiling hot.  In the rain, you can get in/out and stay dry.  It's probably more convenient for bringing in groceries, etc.  You can load/unload dogs without them taking off to explore.
* If you like wood working, it could be a shop instead
* If you are short a bedroom, you could enclose it.  (But be careful.  There are so many badly converted garages out there!)
* If you are looking to start a home business, you could make it into a makeshift office.  (Serenity now!)

Our cars are old and not worth much.  I LOVE having a garage.

LadyMuMu

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 08:27:40 AM »
As someone who has owned three cars until they were undrivable--the sun is your enemy for long-term car ownership. If you maintain your engine on a decent car, it can run a long, long time. But UV damage to the dashboard, upholstery, rubber fittings around the doors, etc. is much more difficult to repair--even pull-apart replacements will ALSO have UV damage. Then, of course, there's also the UV damage to the exterior of the car--paint breaks down and quickly turns into rusty patches, rubber components break down, etc. You can combat this with regular washing, waxing and touching up even the first hints of rust. It's not so much about resale its about will the interior and exterior will last as long as your engine so you get maximum value out of your car purchase. If you don't want to use your garage for your cars, at least invest in a nice reflective sun shade for your window and park on the shady side of your house.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 08:28:35 AM »
Start a band. Become the new Freddie. Tour for 2 years. Retire a popular hero.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 08:32:25 AM »
I have a 2 car garage at the home I just moved into. This is the first time I've ever owned a home that has a garage.

So what do I do with this space? It seems silly to park our old 2008 Honda and 2011 Hyundai accent that have a combined value of $11,000.

I have seen a number of garages converted into rental units, particularly in rent-crazy silicone valley.  Obviously whether this is profitable to you depends highly on your local rental market, and there's often a lot of zoning codes you either have to follow or choose to ignore (and hope for the best).  Instead of housing your cars they could be generating several $k per year for you.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 08:37:16 AM »
As someone who has owned three cars until they were undrivable--the sun is your enemy for long-term car ownership. If you maintain your engine on a decent car, it can run a long, long time. But UV damage to the dashboard, upholstery, rubber fittings around the doors, etc. is much more difficult to repair--even pull-apart replacements will ALSO have UV damage. Then, of course, there's also the UV damage to the exterior of the car--paint breaks down and quickly turns into rusty patches, rubber components break down, etc. You can combat this with regular washing, waxing and touching up even the first hints of rust. It's not so much about resale its about will the interior and exterior will last as long as your engine so you get maximum value out of your car purchase. If you don't want to use your garage for your cars, at least invest in a nice reflective sun shade for your window and park on the shady side of your house.

weird - I've never had this problem, and I've owned two cars (purchased used) for 10+ years each.  I've just washed them periodically and applied wax / uv protectant a few times a year.  Sure, after a dozen years the paint is showing its age, but I've never had a problem with the dash, rubber seals or anything else you are describing.  Maybe I'm just lucky?

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 08:45:24 AM »
Keeping your car parked indoors overnight keeps it warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer, free of bird poo and water spots from rain and dew, eliminates scraping windows and sweeping off snow in winter, protects against sun damage, eliminates warm up time in winter, protects against them getting hit on the street, adds another layer of theft protection, etc.   Lot's of benefits, particularly in cooler climates.

Pull the cars out and you've got yourself a great workshop to do projects, a place to play ping pong, set up the chairs and tables for a cook out, play music, etc.
I probably spend more awake time in my garage than I do the house.

Also with proper shelves and storage set up you can store all of your tools, bikes, toys, etc. out of the weather.

LadyMuMu

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 08:47:02 AM »

weird - I've never had this problem, and I've owned two cars (purchased used) for 10+ years each.  I've just washed them periodically and applied wax / uv protectant a few times a year.  Sure, after a dozen years the paint is showing its age, but I've never had a problem with the dash, rubber seals or anything else you are describing.  Maybe I'm just lucky?

I don't know. Maybe I'm just unlucky! Perhaps the fact that all three cars were in a low latitude/tropical climate accounts for our difference in experience? Good to know that everyone doesn't have this problem.

Choices

• Pencil Stache
    • ChooseBetterLife
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 09:00:03 AM »
Keep your cars in the garage. It'll keep them cleaner and keep their temperature more comfortable for when you want to drive them, you won't have to unload groceries in the rain, etc. Be sure to talk with your significant other before filling up the garage with anything besides a car.
It will also make them less likely to get broken into or vandalized by bored teenagers.
Finally, it will keep you from buying junk you don't need to fill the garage space.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 09:02:33 AM »

I don't know. Maybe I'm just unlucky! Perhaps the fact that all three cars were in a low latitude/tropical climate accounts for our difference in experience? Good to know that everyone doesn't have this problem.

I can attest that in 100+ degree Texas summers: I have had at least 3 cars that had extremely cracked dashes.  I will say: they were OLD and exposed to awful summers.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 09:07:09 AM »
I make heavy use of our garage all winter long to maintain my bike.  The garage stores all the tools that I use to fix things around the house rather than pay someone else to do it.  I keep our winter tires in the garage, and change them over in the garage in the spring/fall.

We keep our car parked in the garage in the winter because it's a PITA to scrape the windows/wipe snow off the whole car every time you want to go somewhere.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 09:10:18 AM »
My house was built in the 60s and has a one-car garage.  It's about a foot too short to fit our only car at the moment ('92 Buick Roadmaster Gigantic Station Wagon).

Instead, it holds two bicycles, two chest freezers (one for people food, one for dog food), a small minifridge (for defrosting dog food), all our various tools, house/car supplies, dog grooming table, squat rack and bench, and a little bit of lawn/gardening stuff.

It sounds like a lot, but it's all well-organized and walkable.  Decent shelving and cabinets go a long way.  I think it's pretty good use of space.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 10:11:14 AM »

I'm not doubting you... I was just surprised. You may be right that the location has a lot to do with it; my cars have been kept outside mostly in central California and New England - never near the tropics (though for three years I was in the DC area with its daily 90ºF+ humid summers.

I also wonder if newer cars are less likely to have cracked dashes - I've seen cars with cracked dashes before, but they all seem to be built before the 1990s.  Perhaps the materials now are more durable? Our latest is a 2002 ford.  About all we do for her is clean and apply 303 protectant about 2x/year.
::shrug::

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 10:22:33 AM »
Rent it out for other's storage, if you don't want to use it. Maybe motorcycle storage? Two or three bikes at $60ish a month wont take up much room and will bring in extra income.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 10:27:33 AM »

Finally, it will keep you from buying junk you don't need to fill the garage space.

Now that's a clever angle!

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2016, 10:29:01 AM »
Rent it out for other's storage, if you don't want to use it. Maybe motorcycle storage? Two or three bikes at $60ish a month wont take up much room and will bring in extra income.

Excellent idea - and less likely to run afoul of zoning laws than making an apartment out of it.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2016, 11:52:03 AM »
In Vancouver people are converting them into little laneway houses and renting them out for $1500-$2000/month. Might not be legal where you live though.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2016, 12:02:54 PM »
Live in it and rent out your house?

redcedar

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2016, 12:05:26 PM »
Start the next Apple, Microsoft, whatever from your garage! It seems easy to do since so many have done it...

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 12:22:09 PM »
If you don't care about keeping your cars in there, I'm sure you have neighbors who have more cars than garage space. And they probably care more about keeping their cars safe from weather and thieves. Rent your garage out to them!

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2016, 10:14:24 AM »
As someone who has owned three cars until they were undrivable--the sun is your enemy for long-term car ownership. If you maintain your engine on a decent car, it can run a long, long time. But UV damage to the dashboard, upholstery, rubber fittings around the doors, etc. is much more difficult to repair--even pull-apart replacements will ALSO have UV damage.
Yes, you've been lucky.  I buy cars that are 4-9 yrs old.  I've had seats, dash and armrests crack.  I've had trunk and door seals go bad - VERY expensive if you have to buy them from the dealer (and they wouldn't sell me just the driver door seal).  I patched the trunk seal with silicone caulk and cut the bad part of the door seal out, slid the smaller piece of good seal over to fill where I'd cut and put the bad part at the bottom of the door. 
Oh, and I had a window seal fall out of a driver door.  An auto-glass shop glued it in for free.
I now armor-all (used generically) all rubber every fall - the windows go up and down faster (it also helps the doors and windows from freezing in place).

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2016, 10:17:37 AM »
Rent it out.  My B-I-L has a classic mustang that he pays a face-punch amount to keep in someones garage.
People pay to store all sorts of things; boats, jet-skis, snowmobiles...

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2016, 10:41:45 AM »
One of my rentals has an extra long garage. My (mustachian) tenant rents half of it to a (non-mustachian) neighbor who has an extended cab truck that won't fit in his own garage. I love my tenant and want her to stay there forever, so I don't care if she earns a little extra cash this way.

We have a 1050 sf garage that rarely sees a car. We're always using the space for DIY projects. Right now, we're refinishing some cabinet doors for my sister. Once that's done, we'll clear everything out to make room for pallets and pallets of pavers. We're redoing our driveway and we will need to lay the bricks from the edge of the garage outward. DH got a great deal on the pavers, so our huge, crumbling driveway got moved to the top of the list. Someday we have hopes of parking our cars in there...

One thing I love is my garage pantry. DH repurposed some cabinets and a countertop to give me room for dry goods storage and a place to unpack the grocery bags. I love it. I buy in bulk, using the pantry principle and cook most of our meals at home. Grocery shopping is not my favorite thing and storage space means fewer, easier trips. And of course there is a freezer and a refrigerater/freezer out there. This morning I pulled my three crockpots (gift, garage saled, inherited) out of their cabinet and all of them are lined up, working in the kitchen as we speak, producing the yummy contents for many, many taco meals. Yup, I'm a cooking fiend.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2016, 03:54:42 PM »
Garages are for cars (granted my experience has been Quebec and Ontario).  Our first house did not have a garage - a garage was high on the priority list after that.  All the reasons given above, plus security - if the car is either gone or in the garage, people get used to no cars in the driveway.  If the car is always in the driveway when you are home, anyone paying attention knows when you are not home. (And yes, I ask my neighbour to drive her car up and down my driveway when I am away in the winter, so there are tire tracks).

trashmanz

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2016, 03:58:07 PM »
I run a photo studio out of the garage and also play table tennis there.