Author Topic: What is the cheapest way to live, housing wise? (Ideally without paying rent???)  (Read 2115 times)

FreeBird

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I am living off my savings while building a business I love.
Most of my expenses have been culled, except rent.
The more I have to pay for rent, the faster that savings is gone, and the less likely to get the business off the ground.

It's an internet based business I can do from anywhere with wi-fi.

I've been living with parents rent free for one year, but that time is up and I have to move out.

Any badass recommendations of how to live virtually rent-free on one's own???

Thanks in advance.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
Roommates pay 88% of my mortgage/property taxes.

You could also look into house sitting.

wellactually

• Stubble
I've known people who got jobs as on-site apartment leasing reps. So they worked some set hours and were on-call for tours or some other things and they got a lower amount of pay plus an apartment.

Just doing some searches for on-site apartment jobs, I saw several like this: https://www.indeed.com/q-Live-On-Site-Property-Manager-jobs.html?vjk=1b514d864e2560fa

That one requires 24 hours of work at $15/hr and then you get free rent. Not a bad deal! But those kinds of options all require some amount of work hours, so it may not fit what you're looking for.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
A van/old rv down by the river and do all your work on library and coffee shop wifi?  Or park your van where there's wifi and work from home.

Serial house (and dog) sitting with a van as backup can be viable as well.

Bernard

• Stubble
If you don't mind loss of privacy, do it like one of my employees does it. He rents a 3/2 pool home in a great area for $1,350 per month. Subleases one BR with on-suite for $850, and the really small bedroom for $550. After paying utilities, living in the 3rd "master" bedroom costs him about $100 per month.

jeroly

• Pencil Stache
If you could really work from anywhere, stay in a hostel in Phnom Penh, Cambodia for $4/night or less including WiFi.  You’d also be able to save considerably on food and other expenses as they’re much cheaper there.

cangelosibrown

• Stubble
If you could really work from anywhere, stay in a hostel in Phnom Penh, Cambodia for $4/night or less including WiFi.  You’d also be able to save considerably on food and other expenses as they’re much cheaper there.

I second this. I've traveled most everywhere, and in general am pretty down on the concept of "Geographic Arbitrage," but for you in might make sense. There's a huge number of places that you can live very, very cheaply and easily, and almost everywhere has good internet these days. Figure out what you're into and google some places. You could float around SEAsia or latin america or eastern europe extremely cheaply.

FreeBird

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
A van/old rv down by the river and do all your work on library and coffee shop wifi?  Or park your van where there's wifi and work from home.

Serial house (and dog) sitting with a van as backup can be viable as well.

^^Love this

If you don't mind loss of privacy, do it like one of my employees does it. He rents a 3/2 pool home in a great area for $1,350 per month. Subleases one BR with on-suite for $850, and the really small bedroom for $550. After paying utilities, living in the 3rd "master" bedroom costs him about $100 per month.

Roommates pay 88% of my mortgage/property taxes.

You could also look into house sitting.

Thanks Bernard and JLee! This will probably be Phase 2. Once my business is viable and I've done this Phase 1 and saved enough money to purchase a place (and traveled enough cities to know which one I want to buy in).

I second this. I've traveled most everywhere, and in general am pretty down on the concept of "Geographic Arbitrage," but for you in might make sense. There's a huge number of places that you can live very, very cheaply and easily, and almost everywhere has good internet these days. Figure out what you're into and google some places. You could float around SEAsia or latin america or eastern europe extremely cheaply.

^^ Love this too!

Squirreling myself away in a beautiful, warm, foreign country where food and housing is super cheap is SUPER appealing : )
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 09:14:23 AM by FreeBird »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!