Author Topic: What is the best way of learning financial planning (for myself)  (Read 1021 times)

tenant13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What is the best way of learning financial planning (for myself)
« on: November 17, 2018, 12:59:10 PM »
This forum obviously and other amazing internet resources but what I had in mind was something more structured. I realize that it's a vast field of knowledge and people get college degrees studying it but if I just wanted to put in some time and methodically learn as much as I can - possibly studying - what would be my options? Are there good books I could start with? Courses? I've downloaded a few spreadsheets from this forum and will study those but I think a slower and more deliberate approach would be fun.  I think I'm ready to FIRE more or less next year so I'm looking for interesting and useful ways to fill up my time and and one of those would be to be able to devise scenarios for handling my assets, taxes, insurance, possible supplemental income, citizenships (I have dual: US & one of the EU countries, thinking about acquiring a third from South America), residency (do I move to FL? another country? travel permanently?). The simplest way would be to actually hire a financial planner/advisor and learn from him using my actual data. Where would you start?

EnjoyTheJourney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What is the best way of learning financial planning (for myself)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 01:27:34 PM »
I'd recommend two resources that will serve you good stead:

Bogle, John. 2017. The little book of common sense investing

... an excellent book for DIY investors that costs very little and is often available at your local library for no charge.

... and a website:

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/index.php

There are lots of helpful resources here to learn much that goes beyond the boundaries of the book mentioned above.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 01:44:44 PM by EnjoyTheJourney »