Author Topic: What is the $ per square foot of your house/houses in your area?  (Read 13559 times)

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
What is the $ per square foot of your house/houses in your area?
« on: December 16, 2014, 09:21:14 AM »
So me and my fiance have been looking at single family homes in our area. Not seriously looking to buy, just browsing. The town we live in is in southeast Minnesota, right on the border with Wisconsin. There are two kinds of single family homes in this town. Older houses "in town" that go for around $75 a square foot (sometimes cheaper) and newer houses in developments on the outskirts of town that go for around $100 a square foot. I feel a lot of these houses are fairly cheap, my fiance thinks they are expensive. I'm new to this area (came down from the Twin Cities 2 years ago), my fiance has been here for 6 or 7 years. Before that she lived in Missouri. I'm guessing our difference in perspective comes from having spent most of our adult lives living in different cities/states from each other.

That said, I'm curious how this compares to other areas of the country? I'm primarily interested in hearing from people in the United States, as I know when we start talking international, results vary dramatically. As me and the fiance have talked about moving somewhere else in the U.S., particularly to the southeast of the country, I'm very interested in those places. When talking about price per square foot, please include details like is it a single family home, how old is the home, has it recently been remodeled, etc.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: What is the $ per square foot of your house/houses in your area?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 09:42:51 AM »
The price in 39 large US cities as of last March:
http://www.businessinsider.com/us-city-real-estate-price-chart-2014-3

Divide 1MM by the number in the picture for the city you're interested in.

Vegas bottomed out at about 60, and is up to about 110 median.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 09:45:43 AM »

Detroit or Cleveland, here we come! *killed by fiance*

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 09:49:55 AM »
There is a ring of single-family house neighborhoods encircling downtown Atlanta that were all built between about 1900 and 1950. You can go in any direction from downtown and find houses that are similar in size, style and condition.

My house, in one of those neighborhoods, was $77/ft^2 when I bought it in 2009. Right now, my guess is it's worth maybe $130/ft^2. The house next door, which has granite counter tops and such (instead of the builder-grade finishes I have) is probably $200/ft^2.

A similar house in the bad area southwest of downtown might be $20/ft^2.

A similar house in the most gentrified neighborhoods northeast of downtown could be $400/ft^2 or more.

maki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 11:21:35 AM »
the median price per square foot here in honolulu is $560. this puts us in second place on the list with $1,000,000 netting you 1,785 square feet of space on average.

Field123

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 11:28:18 AM »
There is a ring of single-family house neighborhoods encircling downtown Atlanta that were all built between about 1900 and 1950. You can go in any direction from downtown and find houses that are similar in size, style and condition.

My house, in one of those neighborhoods, was $77/ft^2 when I bought it in 2009. Right now, my guess is it's worth maybe $130/ft^2. The house next door, which has granite counter tops and such (instead of the builder-grade finishes I have) is probably $200/ft^2.

A similar house in the most gentrified neighborhoods northeast of downtown could be $400/ft^2 or more.

Jack - Just wondering, what neighborhood are you in? I may have an opportunity for a new job in Atlanta next year and have just recently begun researching various neighborhoods and suburbs. The job would be in Midtown. Any input on "mustachian" areas to look at would be greatly appreciated.

My neighborhood in Chicago goes for about $400/ sq. ft. This is one of the major reasons motivating me to look at this Atlanta job!

Mr.Chipper77

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 11:37:29 AM »
House is our area are selling with lot all around 1.20$ a squ ft.  New construction homes just for the house 1.25-1.75 obviously depending on what you want then the lot and improvements on top of that

ivyhedge

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 11:39:18 AM »
Median sale price YTD @ $697/ft^2.

LeighinCT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 11:41:42 AM »
$300/sq ft -->suburban CT, within commuting distance of NYC

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 01:01:19 PM »
Ours is a nice 3100 sq ft on 3 acres in a nice Lake of the Ozarks retirement/vacation community.  (think bigger than a small town but smaller than a midsized town)    Appraised for 70 total per sq ft 1.5 years ago.  I don't think it has bumped much.   

Something to think about is that not all houses are created equal.  Finish matters,  neighborhood matters, local market matters.  Age matters,  type of heating, insurance, age of systems and roofs, how well maintained, taxes -- all are variables to consider.  So it is difficult to just say cost per sq ft. 

Ours has 900 sq ft of finished basement.  Basement is calculated at I think 50 around here, so the upper must be more like 80ish.

Personally,  I hate basements and think the should give a value of like 10 to them.   

Around here I think you would be hard pressed to bring in a home under $100 new construction including the lot.   

If  you're looking to buy,  my suggestion is to buy the smallest house in the neighborhood in a decent neighborhood.  People really do buy the neighborhood.  The biggest most expensive houses have a hard time selling.   It seems that people want to be around people who live in nicer homes than they own?

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 01:13:39 PM »
Most houses in my immediate neighborhood are about $100/sqft. Around the area it varies widely but I doubt it tops $300 in most cases.

Terrestrial

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 01:53:13 PM »
Here in Arizona around $90-100/sf gets you a pretty decent 'normal' house....nothing fancy, but not a shack in a slum.   You can start to get pretty nice places in great parts of town for $125-150/sf.   And as with anywhere there are also pockets where you can't touch anything for less than $200+/sf.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 02:04:50 PM »

I was going to say $400/sq foot, but according to this, it's $478.  Yay Boston.  $75-100 is very much cheap.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 02:13:25 PM »

Jack - Just wondering, what neighborhood are you in? I may have an opportunity for a new job in Atlanta next year and have just recently begun researching various neighborhoods and suburbs. The job would be in Midtown. Any input on "mustachian" areas to look at would be greatly appreciated.

My neighborhood in Chicago goes for about $400/ sq. ft. This is one of the major reasons motivating me to look at this Atlanta job!

I don't want to say which neighborhood I live in (it would make me too identifiable). However, I'm happy to suggest which ones you should pick.

First of all, Metro Atlanta is divided into ITP (Inside The Perimeter, i.e., inside Interstate 285) and OTP (Outside The Perimeter). ITP is mostly urban and liberal; OTP is suburban and conservative. However, regardless of your politics, if you're going to work in Midtown and don't want to hate your clown-car commute / life then you shouldn't even consider living OTP.

In order, the currently-best "mustachian" (single-family home) neighborhoods for somebody who works in Midtown are as follows:
The first three on the list are along the Beltline, making them a very easy bike commute to Midtown and also highly desirable. Prices are rising rapidly, and at this point anything that isn't a fixer-upper is probably headed north of $200/ft^2. Old Fourth Ward and Reynoldstown are historically black and have some poverty / crime. Cabbagetown is historically white and has less crime, but also really tiny (yet surprisingly expensive) houses.

Ormewood Park & Grant Park are also on the Beltline, but they're a little farther south (that segment of the trail isn't due to be finished for another year or so). These neighborhoods should have less crime than Old Fourth Ward, but are also more expensive. Grant Park is currently annoyingly far from grocery stores, but they're planning to build a new Kroger nearby.

Edgewood, Kirkwood and EAV were the most rapidly-gentrifying neighborhoods before the housing crash and before the Beltline construction really got underway. They're still improving, but not quite as fast as the Beltline neighborhoods. However, they are still "close" to the Beltline (you'd have to cycling about a mile or so on low-traffic streets to get to it -- still a pretty easy commute) and should be less expensive than the neighborhoods that are actually "on" it. East Atlanta is a little cheaper than Kirkwood and doesn't have quite as good transit (MARTA rail) access, but it has the best nightlife in the city. Note, by the way, that these neighborhoods are in Dekalb county whereas most of the City of Atlanta is in Fulton County. I believe they have lower property taxes (among other differences).

These are the best, but there are other options you could consider (such as if you'd like to live in a high-density condo, or out in the suburbs, or if you don't mind being an "urban pioneer" in a neighborhood that's currently scary but has lots of potential). PM me if you want more info.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 05:22:53 PM »
$600-1000 per square foot for an average tract home. Maybe more in the better school districts.

Coastal So Cal.

I used to think $75/sq foot was expensive.  Then I moved here.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 06:04:54 PM »
In my area of Seattle, prices might range from $200/square foot for a run-down rental home to $600/square foot for a fancypants condo.

DecD

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 06:17:15 PM »
Our house was approximately $100/sqft.  Southeast Texas.

Jacana

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 07:26:57 PM »
We just sold our 1980's townhouse for $226/ Sq. Ft.  in the far out Maryland suburbs north of DC (bought it for $176/sf in the crash, fixed it up a bit, made a nice profit!). Technically commuting distance to DC but a hellish commute yet tons of people do it. Closer in, prices are astronomical even in shitty neighborhoods.

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 08:36:58 PM »
Small undesirable houses in ok shape start around 40 a square foot.  Yay dying mill town :(

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 08:45:52 PM »
Current McMansion on a .4 acre lot in a nice suburb of Boise - Zillow has it at just over $100/sf.  Not bad as we bought at $60/SF as a foreclosure needing work in early 2010.  Just sold a house in a smaller town about 20 miles from here, not as nice of a neighborhood, .2 acre lot, but we had done some decent upgrades like bamboo flooring and nice fixtures - $79/SF.

There are historic houses and lofts in the trendier north end, and downtown, going for MUCH more, but I'm not interested in them, so don't know how much, exactly.

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 08:46:29 PM »
Varies widely within DC (city limits). Where I am ranges from 500-600/sf - Zillow has me at 585/sf but I think it's a bit high. Georgetown, Downtown, and West of Rock Creek are usually upwards of 700/sf these days. East of the Anacostia homes still go for ~150/sf.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 08:48:29 PM »
I live in a 750 square foot 1 bedroom with a "den" that's a few years old. Right now it's going for about $1K a square foot. It's not even in a fancy neighborhood.

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 09:06:19 PM »
I live in a 1100 sq foot condo built in the early 90s.  Currently going for about $400/sq ft.

Calvawt

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2014, 09:38:58 PM »
Central California is somewhere around $95-$105/sf.  New construction and luxury homes are somewhere north of that.

Our house is 2,574 sf and is valued at about $275k ($260k without solar panels).

TerriM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2014, 09:46:20 PM »
$700 to $2000/sq ft. SFBay Peninsula, but it's hard to separate out $$/sq ft of acreage.  If you had a dilapidated 100 sq ft. garage on an acre lot, it'd be worth $2-8M depending on city/school district.

CCCA

• Pencil Stache
  • born before the 80's
    • FI programming
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2014, 01:04:43 AM »
Our house is probably around $500-600/sf. Though we bought it 4years ago @ under $350/SF.  This is in SF Bay Area.

Mr. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
    • Frugalwoods
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2014, 06:07:08 AM »
The median Price per Square Foot in our zip code is $591.

We bought our house several years ago for $284/sqft, so things have worked out well.

gt7152b

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2014, 06:15:30 AM »
if you're going to work in Midtown and don't want to hate your clown-car commute / life then you shouldn't even consider living OTP.

Aren't there a few areas OTP that have easy access to MARTA? I know options would be limited but that might be a possibility.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2014, 07:40:51 AM »
$250-300/square foot replacement value, land price on top of that, that's just build price according to my insurance.

About 10 years ago you could buy for $100/sf, then people caught on how cheap it was coupled with a massive surge to our local economy, real estate boomed and years of debate started about when the crash will hit; the debate is in its 7th year.

How much would a builder charge to build/sf in your area? It helps to strip away the underlying value of the land.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 01:52:46 PM by Prairie Practicality »

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2014, 08:05:12 AM »
if you're going to work in Midtown and don't want to hate your clown-car commute / life then you shouldn't even consider living OTP.

Aren't there a few areas OTP that have easy access to MARTA? I know options would be limited but that might be a possibility.

First of all, driving to MARTA rail from OTP is pointless because the majority of the traffic is also OTP, between you and the MARTA station. Second, taking a bus to the train is frustrating and slow because the buses are unreliable and the transfer could take 15+ minutes by itself. There are enough ITP options that considering either of these just isn't worth it. Therefore, your OTP options would be limited to getting to the MARTA rail by bike or walking.

The North MARTA line goes about two miles OTP, but that area is Sandy Springs which is simultaneously one of the biggest employment centers in Atlanta yet paradoxically suburban with very large (and very expensive) McMansions. Even if you could find somewhere reasonable nearby to live (i.e., an apartment or condo), it's impossible to bike anywhere without using high-speed, high-traffic roads. It's probably one of the least mustachian places to live in the entire metro area.

The Northeast MARTA line goes almost to the Perimeter, but not beyond it, and there are hardly any bike-friendly ways to get to it from OTP. The best you could do is New Peachtree Road, and even that's four lanes and fairly high-traffic.

The East MARTA line ends just outside the Perimeter (adjacent to it) and admittedly has some easily-accessible housing options, however it requires switching trains to get to Midtown which makes the just the train part of the commute a minimum of 34 minutes each way. It's also an economically-depressed area and lacks accessibility to quality grocery stores and other amenities. It may technically be an option, but there's no good reason to prefer it over any number of places ITP. (For example, areas near the Chamblee, Avondale Estates or even East Lake MARTA stations are similar in every way, but closer to Midtown.)

The other MARTA lines (West and South) end well before even reaching the Perimeter (and the farthest South station is the Airport station, so it doesn't even count).

TerriM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2014, 08:08:28 AM »
Our house is probably around $500-600/sf. Though we bought it 4years ago @ under $350/SF.  This is in SF Bay Area.

Ooooooh.  Congrats!

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2014, 12:34:17 PM »
In my particular old, but pricey San Diego neighborhood, it's $500 - $600 a square foot for nice houses.  1700 sq. ft. house can sell for close to $1M.  1200 sq. ft. can easily go for 600k. 

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2014, 02:23:12 PM »
$700 to $2000/sq ft. SFBay Peninsula, but it's hard to separate out $$/sq ft of acreage.  If you had a dilapidated 100 sq ft. garage on an acre lot, it'd be worth $2-8M depending on city/school district.

Pretty much agree. We're running about $810 to $815 per square foot here in a Peninsula city within a 10 mile vicinity of San Mateo. But it's really mostly about the underlying land. We're on a 6K square foot lot.

CCCA

• Pencil Stache
  • born before the 80's
    • FI programming
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2014, 11:59:48 AM »

Ooooooh.  Congrats!

Thanks. We didn't plan it but got lucky with an undervalued foreclosure near the bottom of the market.

We've discussed the fact that we could probably retire immediately if we just moved to a lower cost area given the appreciation but no plans to do so as of now.

Distshore

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2014, 03:35:18 PM »
Eastern Queens, NYC - at least $500/sq ft for something that's not in tear-down or gut condition.  Typically 20s-40s houses and apartments.  Co-ops cheaper but have the "second mortgage" of maintenance fees. 

I'm jealous of all the tiny mortgages in the mid-west but comfort myself by thinking that if/when we move out there, I can quit my job!!

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2014, 04:21:42 PM »
In my town in NJ, the average price per sq ft is $253.  I paid about $216 per sq ft for my house, so it was a real bargain.

The_Captain

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • From Nothing to Something
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2014, 10:46:07 AM »
Hard to find good data on Toronto without looking too deeply, but it seems like the numbers for Toronto average around $400/sqft or so.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2014, 11:37:05 AM »
$500 per sq. ft in our neighbourhood.... sittin' on a ridiculous amount of home equity. But then, that's Vancouver for you...

Fishingmn

• Bristles
  • You never have to recover from a good start
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2014, 12:01:19 PM »
According to the Minneapolis Assn of Realtors, the average for all of the Twin Cities for 2014 is $122/sq ft.

I'd certainly think something near Winona would be less so the number around $100 you quoted seems accurate.

tracylayton

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2014, 01:05:19 PM »
In my neighborhood, $80 to $100/ SF. I'm in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2014, 01:22:47 PM »
We paid about $35/sq ft in January 2013 for the house we're in. 

chuckaluck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2014, 03:13:23 PM »
We live southwest of Boston MA, about an hour drive into Boston.  New homes in our area go for about 200 to 250 per sq ft; older ones about 150 to 175 per sq ft.  Nearly all of the homes built in the last 20 years or so have at least a one car garage, and sit on about a 0.5 to 1.0 acre of land.  Very few don't have basements.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2014, 03:45:54 PM »
Love the different perspectives. Just need to show this thread to the fiance so she stops calling houses here "expensive".

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2014, 10:25:39 PM »
Just saw it in the paper -- $745 per sq.ft in vancouver "urban" centre...
Only $250 per sq.ft in suburbs >1 hr commute from downtown..