Author Topic: what is so great about Tide?  (Read 23965 times)

FLA

• Pencil Stache
what is so great about Tide?
« on: September 08, 2015, 08:34:30 PM »
follow up to laundry thread.  I often see people say they will never give up Tide when making a list of what they must have.  I've seen it over and over and over.  Is it really that much better than the cheap stuff?  When I buy it, it doesn't seem all that different to me. 

sunday

• Stubble
Re: what is so great about Tide?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 09:10:17 PM »
Consumer reports has Tide as among the best performing. I buy the high ranked choice from the Kirkland brand. Works well enough for me.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 09:19:35 PM »
It seems to work well. I buy it because couponing websites always give alerts when it's on sale, and there's usually some great combination of the sale, store coupons, manufacturer's coupons, rebates and cash back that gives you Tide for $2 or so for a big jug. I was out of town during the last great sale combo, and had to send incredibly detailed instructions to DH. I only do this kind of maneuvering for Tide, Charmin Extra Soft and Fancy Feast. Almost everything else I buy is generic.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 09:25:57 PM »
I confess I have no idea. I buy all the brand name stuff (Tide, Gain, Sunlight, etc.) interchangeably, based on best price.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 04:29:16 AM »
Tide is not the same product as it was 50 years ago or even 15 years ago.  The powdered Tide was so far superior to other detergents that I would not buy anything else.  Tried a bucket of Costco Kirkland maybe five or six years ago, and some of that junk is still in the garage.  It did not dissolve well and the clothes did not come clean.  Been using it for washing floors and cleaning litter boxes.  It doesn't even do those jobs well.

Now that phosphates have been removed from detergents, the cleaning power has suffered.  The liquid stuff seems more comparable among brands.  I bought a small container of the cheapest brand on an out of state trip once, and it worked well.  I'm not as motivated to pay Procter and Gamble a premium price for Tide because the difference is marginal.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 04:52:12 AM »
IDK what the big deal is about Tide and I don't buy it. I buy the cheapest whatever is on sale and I have a coupon. Tide is basically *never* the cheapest. I got a free sample recently and I noticed that after washing my clothing had a strong Tide scent to it - which I found off putting. I guess some people associate that smell w/ clean laundry and like it? I have noticed that all my clothes get clean regardless of which detergent I use.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 07:01:28 AM »
Tide cartels, lmao.  I would love to see the process in action.  Shady guy on corner, 20 lbs of something under his jacket. "Psst, over here, I got what you need, girl," flashes red bottle. Transaction complete, "you go home and get those clothes REAL clean. Tell your friends."  Tide fiend opens bottle, hands stop shaking, cold sweats go away after that sweet, sweet smell of real Tide.

I am a law abiding laundress, too poor for store bought Tide, I have to forget all about this cartel and continue washing my deprived family's clothes in generic CVS detergent.   

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 07:39:19 AM »
I was an avid Tide user and I'm not usually brand-loyal about anything (except toothpaste.  Crest 4 Life!) but I switched over to doing the homemade stuff and I've never looked back.  I think it cleans just as well and it is cheap as hell to make.  Don't know why everyone isn't doing this!

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 07:43:34 AM »
but I switched over to doing the homemade stuff and I've never looked back.  I think it cleans just as well and it is cheap as hell to make.  Don't know why everyone isn't doing this!

would you mind sharing the recipe?

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 07:45:15 AM »
I was an avid Tide user and I'm not usually brand-loyal about anything (except toothpaste.  Crest 4 Life!) but I switched over to doing the homemade stuff and I've never looked back.  I think it cleans just as well and it is cheap as hell to make.  Don't know why everyone isn't doing this!

Can you share your recipe?

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 08:05:39 AM »

Sure!  Crazy easy!

1 Cup Borax
1 Cup Washing Soda (not the same thing as baking soda!)
1 Bar of Soap, finely grated (I use a fine-hole cheese grater, like the kind designed for a hard cheese like Parmesan.  Some people also use a food processor.  They need to be really small soap pieces so they dissolve).

Mix together in a big jar.  Use 1-2 tbsp per load. 

Really, it is that easy!  I usually use a few leftover soap bars from hotels as my soap, so that part is essentially free.  You can use any kind though.  I used a free bar of castille soap once and that was lovely!  You can customize it with your favorite soap if you like the scent. 

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 08:06:41 AM »
Tide free does not contain some chemical (I am having a brain fart) that is often in scented products that is bad for the environment (fish, ambiphians etc). 7th generation also doesn't contain it but tide is easier to find.
I just try to find a detergent that is as simple as possible, that I don't have to make myself. 

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 08:10:59 AM »
1 Cup Borax
1 Bar of Soap, finely grated (I use a fine-hole cheese grater, like the kind designed for a hard cheese like Parmesan.  Some people also use a food processor.  They need to be really small soap pieces so they dissolve).

I had a feeling it was this recipe. Another option: Ivory soap. Microwave the bar for 60-90 seconds on a paper plate or paper towel, and it'll puff up, cool off and crumble in your hands. No grating. I'm keen to point out that this only works for Ivory due to the air bubbles whipped into the bar. Any other soap will just melt.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 08:15:55 AM »

Sure!  Crazy easy!

1 Cup Borax

Really, it is that easy!  I usually use a few leftover soap bars from hotels as my soap, so that part is essentially free.  You can use any kind though.  I used a free bar of castille soap once and that was lovely!  You can customize it with your favorite soap if you like the scent.

+1. I have been using this same recipe for a few years now. Easy, cheap, works. One batch fits well in a mason jar.

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 08:25:56 AM »
Tide just gets my clothes cleaner than anything else I've tried.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 08:31:48 AM »
1 Cup Borax

I had a feeling it was this recipe. Another option: Ivory soap. Microwave the bar for 60-90 seconds on a paper plate or paper towel, and it'll puff up, cool off and crumble in your hands. No grating. I'm keen to point out that this only works for Ivory due to the air bubbles whipped into the bar. Any other soap will just melt.

I did try this once, but the smell of the soap cooking in my microwave was just awful and the house smelled like it for days.  I was so freaked out that I was inhaling a bunch of mysterious carcinogens that I went back to the grating method :)

LiseE

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 09:02:00 AM »
No Cook DIY Laundry Soap

1 Cup Washing soap
1 Cup Borax
1 tbls Dawn dish-washing liquid

Add first two ingredients into a 1 gallon jug with 3-4 cups of hot water (to dissolve the crystals). Then add the dawn and enough cold water to fill the jug.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 09:05:21 AM »
thanks for the recipes!

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 09:18:15 AM »

+1. I started using it when I had horribly stinky cloth diapers. Nothing else had worked. Tide took the stink right out and made all of our other clothes cleaner too. I use original liquid Tide and use much less than directed. It works great.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 09:28:00 AM »
Consumer reports has Tide as among the best performing. I buy the high ranked choice from the Kirkland brand. Works well enough for me.

Which Kirkland variety is it you buy? Thanks!

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 09:43:34 AM »
Anyone add TSP to get the phosphates back?  We are on a septic and according to this: http://www.nesc.wvu.edu/pdf/WW/publications/pipline/PiL_SU13.pdf at low risk for contaminating surface or ground water with our septic placement, soils, etc. so I'm thinking about trying it.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2015, 09:47:45 AM »
I may break down and try Tide next time. 

I also highly recommend Dawn for dishes. 

sunday

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2015, 11:36:07 AM »

Which Kirkland variety is it you buy? Thanks!

I buy the Kirkland free & clear, liquid. I have a front loading HE washer and the trick is to not use too much. I always fill it less than the line in my washer says to fill it to. For tougher stains, I throw in a scoop of Oxyclean into the load first.

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2015, 11:43:09 AM »
I was never a Tide user until moving in with my SO.  He loves the stuff and was very passionate about it being the best.  I didn't care enough to argue.  I do have to say that I can tell the difference in clean with Tide vs the cheap stuff, especially with towels.  I only use about 1/2 the amount recommended and I love the way everything smells fresh, not scented, just.....fresh.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2015, 04:20:17 PM »
I use Tide because it seems to not fade my clothes as much as other detergents.  I also use about half of the recommended amount and my clothes are clean.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2015, 08:38:39 PM »
My DH says that the smell of Tide means "clean" to him. (Somewhere in the distance, a P&G marketing team cheers and chugs!)

As such, I buy Tide for the smell, and I also have a jug of homemade "utility detergent" that I use for stuff like bathmats and other stuff where the sensory experience is secondary.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2015, 08:50:41 PM »
I use a slightly more complicated DIY recipe that has baking soda (in addition to washing soda) and some OxyClean added to it.

No idea if it's better than the simple soap-wash soda-borax mixture but a friend swore by it.

Either way I'm happy.

For anyone using detergents (commercial or homemade) keep in mind if your water is not hard, you need a fraction of what the label calls for. When we used Tide Free, I would add 1/3 of the lowest line in the cap even to the biggest loads and things were perfectly clean.

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2015, 09:27:27 PM »
Long PG

david51

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2015, 11:03:30 PM »
           I own nearly 50k in PG stock. Roughly 300$ in dividends quarterly. Thats whats so great about Tide.

Sylly

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2015, 11:22:55 PM »
Great.. now I'm curious if Tide will clean some of my stuff cleaner.

I'm using some environmentally friendly detergent that's pretty damn cheap (mainly because it doesn't ask for a lot per load) and seems to get stuff clean just fine, but I was a bit miffed when some white hand towels stayed slightly brown (from all the dirt that were in our hands) after the wash.

I think I still have some partial box of Tide.. I may just have to collect some stuff and throw a load in.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2015, 06:34:11 AM »
I used to use Tide, but switched to Purex 5 or 6 years ago. It works great.  And I didn't have to switch to special HE because all their products are compatible.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2015, 06:49:22 AM »
I'm using some environmentally friendly detergent that's pretty damn cheap (mainly because it doesn't ask for a lot per load) and seems to get stuff clean just fine, but I was a bit miffed when some white hand towels stayed slightly brown (from all the dirt that were in our hands) after the wash.

I think I still have some partial box of Tide.. I may just have to collect some stuff and throw a load in.

My Tide doesn't always get that out either, and I use a bit of OxyClean as well. In fact, I tried bleach and it didn't get my hand towels fully white again either. My solution was to buy grey hand towels.

merlin7676

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2015, 08:19:26 AM »
I'm allergic to Tide. I personally like the Arm and Hammer perfume and dye free. I think it does a good job on our clothes and usually is fairly cheap.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2015, 08:38:31 AM »
FWIW, my very very laundry-expert clean-freak mother says that Biz is an excellent low-cost substitute for Oxy Clean.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2015, 08:56:08 AM »
I buy the kirkland one that gets almost identical top ratings to the powder tide from CR.  For way less money.  Based on the nearly identical ratings, I concluded that P&G supplies knock-off Tide to Costco. 

I use way less than called for, and if I am washing something especially nasty I throw in a bit of oxiclean with it. 

I will be switching when this box is empty, though, because it is scented, and I don't like fake smelling stuff.  So I may sadly go back to homemade (I found it a pain, and didn't think it cleaned well) or possibly explore Charlie's soap or some other hippie dippy brand.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2015, 09:01:31 AM »
I buy the kirkland one that gets almost identical top ratings to the powder tide from CR.  For way less money.  Based on the nearly identical ratings, I concluded that P&G supplies knock-off Tide to Costco. 

You may be right. Kirkland diapers are basically Huggies. I'll have to give it a try, because I don't love the price of Tide.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2015, 12:49:33 PM »

Sure!  Crazy easy!

1 Cup Borax

Have you made a cost analysis of the savings between buying generic on sale versus making your own?

Would love to see if the home made saves anything. Let's assume we buy cheapest soap, borax and washing soda.

Brilliantine

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2015, 03:06:02 PM »
We use Charlie's Soap. They have some marketing around it being biodegradable and scent-free, etc. but I suspect it's just MissStache's recipe in a box with a measuring spoon. :)

They claim the small package that I buy for ~$15 goes for 100 loads. I seem to be buying one every 26-28 weeks. Hmm.. Someone is using too much laundry powder per load. :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 03:20:09 PM by Brilliantine »

CupcakeGuru

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2015, 03:14:31 PM »
+1

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2015, 03:50:01 PM »

My Tide doesn't always get that out either, and I use a bit of OxyClean as well. In fact, I tried bleach and it didn't get my hand towels fully white again either. My solution was to buy grey hand towels.

Oxyclean is the only thing I've found that gets formula stains out.

I just bleach my towels. I love bleach. I'm switching us over to all white sheets and I can just do a bleach load a couple times a year.

Maybe I didn't use enough bleach? How much do you use per large load?

sky_northern

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2015, 03:55:34 PM »
Have you made a cost analysis of the savings between buying generic on sale versus making your own?

Would love to see if the home made saves anything. Let's assume we buy cheapest soap, borax and washing soda.
I did a cost analysis - but for liquid laundry detergent so slightly different recipe. I can make homemade laundry soap for about 1 cent a load - the cheapest laundry detergent that I could find was 25 cent/load (using the manufacture's recommended amount). Your mileage may vary, I live in Canada, in high cost of living area which rarely gets sales and coupons.

sunday

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2015, 04:23:14 PM »

I did a cost analysis - but for liquid laundry detergent so slightly different recipe. I can make homemade laundry soap for about 1 cent a load - the cheapest laundry detergent that I could find was 25 cent/load (using the manufacture's recommended amount). Your mileage may vary, I live in Canada, in high cost of living area which rarely gets sales and coupons.

I just calculated per load for the Kirkland brand I use. I only buy it on sale ($10.99) and I can get about 30% more than the 126 loads listed on the package, because I use less than recommended, so say I get 160 loads. That works out to about $0.06 a load. Maybe a little penny or two more if I decide to throw in a scoop of oxygen bleach.

justplucky

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2015, 04:52:08 PM »
I'm also allergic to Tide, so I used various fragrance-free detergents until I started making my own powdered detergent. I use the same recipe as MissStache.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2015, 05:09:33 PM »
I grew up on tide but couldn't bring myself to pay for it so I started makong my own because I'm sensitive to scents. Whites aren't super white but I never really cared for white shirts/towels/etc anyway so no loss there. Cleans just fine and the ingredients are all used elsewhere for simplicity's sake. I used the dry recipe above, with felsnaptha (laundry soap) and the occasional oxyclean.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2015, 05:23:58 PM »
Tide, and a lot of very highly performing detergents, used to have another ingredient that has been banned from retail clothes detergents, under the concept that the substance removes the oxygen from rivers and streams once dumped into those waters.  Such low oxygen conditions are a threat to fish.

Of course, no one should be dumping waste water directly into natural waters anyway.

The substance in question is called TSP, or Trisodium Phosphate.  It is still legal in commercial detergents, and you can buy it separately and mix it back in, but you cannot buy it already in either clothing detergents nor dishwasher detergents anymore.  I do buy it, and mix a cup into a box of Cascade for my dishwasher, but I have a septic system, so I don't have to worry about some suffocated fish either.  My understanding is that TSP is not banned in Canada, so Canadian Tide might still be great.

https://mises.org/library/why-everything-dirtier

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2015, 05:32:11 PM »
It's very popular amount my ghetto neighbors.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2015, 05:34:41 PM »

This does not parse.  It sounds like something a bot would post.

KittyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2015, 05:40:16 PM »
I always confuse Crest with Colgate, and I'm not sure which one I am currently using (though I think it's Colgate). What makes Crest better than the rest?

On topic: I currently buy whatever is at the dollar store I happen to pass by when I get close to or run out of detergent. So, a dollar for ~20 oz. They do an passable job, but they don't remove some obvious stains. I wonder if I will notice the difference if I use Tide... or maybe the stains are too old by now or something. Clearly, I am not an expert on this. I'll have to try it out someday. My mom used Tide almost exclusively.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2015, 05:53:31 PM »

This does not parse.  It sounds like something a bot would post.

Probably cell phone autocorrect and it was supposed to me "It's very popular among my ghetto neighbors."

You post on this forum using a touch screen?  That must suck.