Author Topic: What is it about a 3-car garage? Are sheds a thing of the past?  (Read 30909 times)

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
First, I mean no disrespect to people who have them and have hobbies (i.e. woodworking) to fill up the stalls or who live in climates, for instance, where laundry rooms are in the garage and need the extra space.  Or, for instance, if you live in an area without basements and use one stall for workout equipment.  Or, if you are well on the path to FIRE and love boating, for instance.  You've earned it.  It's your thing.  I'm down with that.   But, I'm surprised at how -- at least in my neck of the woods -- a 3 car garage has become the norm for just about everyone.  I live in the upper midwest.

We've always had a 2-car garage and with ample room on the sides and front and good racking systems, it's always been able to house golf clubs, bikes, and lawn/garden equipment.  We are definitely "new house" people, and I'm struck with how most of the new construction in our area has 3-car garages.  Around here it's almost like when you say "2-car garage" people look at you like you want to live with a car port in the upper midwest.  I think the solution of happily living with a 2-stall garage is to get rid of stuff and/or to get a shed for the mower/gardening tools/etcetera.

I don't know how many people -- including my parents -- have admonished me:  "Well, you really need a 3-car garage!"   You know, for "resale..."

The thing is... I don't feel like we do.  And we aren't going to relent -- even if we build new.  Personally, I would rather house a great deal of my lawn and garden equipment in a nice well-constructed shed out back.  Something fancy pants with cement board siding that matches the color and design of the house.  Something like this little number from Costco:
http://www.costco.com/.product.11672487.html?

I always feel like housing all of our lawn equipment in our garage invites extra dust, oil, and mess that I would just as soon leave in a shed out back for the 6-7 months per year that we don't even touch these items instead of dragging it into my house on my shoes.  It seems like extra garage stalls are expensive storage spaces (drywall, insulation) for stuff that doesn't need it and that it also encourages people to get more stuff.

I know the drill about permits, covenants, etcetera.  But I really feel like a well-constructed shed that matches the look/feel of the house is no more out of place than a piece of kids' play equipment or a trampoline.

We are definitely 2-car people and we have extra stuff.  This isn't a diatribe about "clown cars" or anything.  But I really feel like the 3+ garage as a norm has gotten kind of out of hand.  Anyone else have luck with a 2-car garage and a fancy pants "shed" in the burbs????

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What is it about a 3-car garage? Are sheds a thing of the past?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 01:54:34 PM »
My sister in law had a new house built two years ago (in New England). She said a three car garage was the same size as a two car, but just had smaller stalls. She went with a three car, although I'm not entirely sure why. I guess if the extra cost to add the third garage door is small enough, it could be worth it. I wonder about the impact on property taxes though.  She wanted to use the third bay as storage.  Even though she has a 3500 square foot house for three people, four now with a new baby.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 01:56:18 PM »
The McMansions in my area all have a three-car garage. Houses that are about 1,800 to 2,500 square feet have two-car garages that the owners can barely squeeze two cars into (and that's before they fill the garage with junk that prevents them from parking any cars in it). Really, they are undersized if you ask me. Personally, I would like a 1,500 square foot house with a three-car garage. We have several "toys" and two cars in our two-car garage, and it's like musical chairs to get to the bikes we want to ride on any given weekend. This year's project is a new kitchen. Next year, we're adding another garage.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 01:56:37 PM »
I just moved to what can only be described as a McMansion.  i cant give you a million reasons we did it but its a lot more house than i wanted but its on the water of the lake community we live in and we bought it right with a lot of equity.  that aside we went from a 2 car to a 3 car up with a 4th down.  the 4th down is a workshop slash the dogs room when we arent home. and we're in a lake community so a boat is upstairs in the 3rd bay.  we're about 6-8 years out on FIRE.  and have been looking for 3 years.. i'd much prefer a smaller home but they hardly exist in our area and to build one on one of the few vacant lots would have cost us almost 30% more than what we paid for this for a lot smaller house.

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 02:08:20 PM »
No complaints here, I love the idea of a quality stick built or metal shed with power run to it for use as a craftsman shop. We rent a house with a two car garage and a tiny courtyard instead of a real yard. We only use park one car in the garage and the other bay is used for storage. I am building a decent woodshop in that spare bay this summer. But yeah, if I had a shed, I could make the garage into a car bedroom and not work on projects in it. I'm all for making appropriate use out of spaces.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 02:10:29 PM »
I have always been a bit of a car guy.  (I feel like this is an alcoholics anonymous intro.  Hi.  I'm Spork.  I'm a car guy.)

I always wanted a 3 car garage.  Hell, I wanted a 10 car garage.  But when we built our house 4 years ago, that extra stall was one of the first things to go.  Yes, it's not "that much more money."  But we were paying cash for the house... and anything that was a few grand was easy pickings.   I think we ended up knocking about $40k off the original bid of the house.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 02:13:58 PM »
i'd much prefer a smaller home but they hardly exist in our area and to build one on one of the few vacant lots would have cost us almost 30% more than what we paid for this for a lot smaller house.

The new housing market in my area makes me want to vomit. All large houses, all vinyl siding, all cheaply-made "builder-grade" crap. Sorry, do I sound bitter?

Why doesn't anyone build a quality small house anymore? (And by "small" I mean "normal-sized.")

Easye418

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 02:16:09 PM »
Technically, I just so happened to buy an affordable home that had a 3 car garage built already.

However, Down here in the South (TX), we don't have basements so I wonder if that plays a role.  I actually turned my 3rd car into a GSD playpen for my pups when they can't be outside. 

Typically, 2 car garages can just barely fit two cars so anything else in the garge makes one slot completely useless.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 02:17:00 PM »
i'd much prefer a smaller home but they hardly exist in our area and to build one on one of the few vacant lots would have cost us almost 30% more than what we paid for this for a lot smaller house.

The new housing market in my area makes me want to vomit. All large houses, all vinyl siding, all cheaply-made "builder-grade" crap. Sorry, do I sound bitter?

Why doesn't anyone build a quality small house anymore? (And by "small" I mean "normal-sized.")

Builders build what sells.  Don't blame them.  ;)

If you want a quality smaller home, you pretty much have to bite the bullet and pay the premium to have someone build it.  Thats what we did (and ours is freaking huge when you count the number of bodies living in it.)

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 02:23:22 PM »

Builders build what sells.  Don't blame them.  ;)

If you want a quality smaller home, you pretty much have to bite the bullet and pay the premium to have someone build it.  Thats what we did (and ours is freaking huge when you count the number of bodies living in it.)

Yeah. For now, we're going to stay in our paid-for house until we FIRE, then we'll move somewhere else and build or buy a little craftsman-style house. Or a small log home (but they're so high-maintenance). And live happily ever after.  (Right?)

Cognitive Miser

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 02:29:29 PM »
I grew up in a house with a 2-car garage and we had plenty of room to store all the stuff you mention.  But when we were looking at houses, all the 2-car garages we saw were MUCH smaller than the 2-car garage I grew up with.  There was barely room to even open a car door, much less store a lawn mower.  I'm in a different city than I grew up in - maybe that has something to do with it (different builders).  But I was surprised.  My husband wanted a shop so we ended up with a 2.5-car garage (sometimes called a bump-out... there is no third door) and a shed out back for our lawn equipment.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 02:31:30 PM »
I just moved to what can only be described as a McMansion.  i cant give you a million reasons we did it but its a lot more house than i wanted but its on the water of the lake community we live in and we bought it right with a lot of equity.  that aside we went from a 2 car to a 3 car up with a 4th down.  the 4th down is a workshop slash the dogs room when we arent home. and we're in a lake community so a boat is upstairs in the 3rd bay.  we're about 6-8 years out on FIRE.  and have been looking for 3 years.. i'd much prefer a smaller home but they hardly exist in our area and to build one on one of the few vacant lots would have cost us almost 30% more than what we paid for this for a lot smaller house.

also i live in an HOA where shed's are against the rules so a garage downstairs either 3rd or 4th serves the prupose of a shed

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 02:36:55 PM »
Before I bought my current house, I got into a bidding war on a 2 bedroom 3 garage house.  For the same money I got a larger house and knocked down a wall to expand the garage into a bedroom.  I spend more time in my garage than I do the house.  I've always been one of those people who have something going on out there.  Used to restore cars, that takes a ton of room with all the spares and sub-projects.  Now I do woodworking and motorcycles.  We don't have basements around here, so the lawn equipment has to go somewhere.  I've also seen a lot of people make game rooms out of their garage. 

I once came very close to buying an airplane hangar and putting a in a 1 bedroom loft apartment. 

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 02:42:27 PM »
Guilty here.
Between the garages and outbuildings, I've got space equal to about an 11 car garage and feel like I need all of it and then some.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 02:50:14 PM »
I once came very close to buying an airplane hangar and putting a in a 1 bedroom loft apartment. 
That sounds really cool, actually.  I've seen some renos around here (in small towns) in which people convert old auto shops to other businesses/homes.  Those loft-like spaces can be really unique, while still allowing big overhead doors for stuff.

I'm finding this thread interesting -- in a non-judgemental way.  It's interesting to hear the pros and cons of how people use space.  Admittedly, I sometimes find our two stalls too small, especially with lawn equipment.  In the future, 2 stalls plus a shed "out back" would be my minimum.  I really don't think we have enough space now, but we are making do and figure the next person can solve the problem on his/her dime if it is one for him/her.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2016, 02:52:14 PM »
The title asks if sheds are a thing of the past.  In my city, yes.  The fuckwads on the council have decided that sheds are an eyesore and are now against ordinance.  Thankfully I'm grandfathered, but I can never replace the one I have. 

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2016, 02:55:43 PM »
The title asks if sheds are a thing of the past.  In my city, yes.  The fuckwads on the council have decided that sheds are an eyesore and are now against ordinance.  Thankfully I'm grandfathered, but I can never replace the one I have.

Call me a snob, but I wish my suburb would do the same with chain-link fences. I hate them. They're an eyesore. They never, ever, ever look good. And call me even snobbier, but while we're (not) on the subject, I really wish it was a violation for trash cans to be visible. Nothing ruins a view like a shitload of trash cans on the neighbor's property.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2016, 03:04:58 PM »
I have a one-car garage with a small shed in the back yard.  No basement, 1950s ~1000 square feet 3bed/1bath build.  We have two cars.  One sits in the driveway, the other on the street.  The garage functions as a combination weight room/dog grooming room/dog feeding room/tool storage room/dueling-freezers room.  Our small car can fit in if I need to do some car maintenance and the weather is crappy.  Our big car is too damn long (big old ugly station wagon).  The shed in the back has some lawn/garden tools in it.  It's designed for someone a foot shorter than me.

My parents had a "2.5 car" garage that fit two cars with some "workshop" space behind one, which was pretty nice.

Guava

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2016, 03:06:20 PM »
I live in an old neighborhood where most houses don't have garages and if they do they are detached additions. I am lucky to have a one car attached but we have a giant shed that we could convert into a garage. That's where all of the lawn equipment goes along with home improvement things and who knows what else. But we do want to build a 3 car garage detached garage because we restore cars and have an old car hobby. But we don't need a 3 car garage, by any means. The new builds here come with the 3 or 4 car garages and no sheds are allowed by the HOA. Those driveways are also tiny and you are not allowed to park in the road so by the time you get there four or five cars together, you have to have that space.

SKL-HOU

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2016, 03:17:25 PM »

Call me a snob, but I wish my suburb would do the same with chain-link fences. I hate them. They're an eyesore. They never, ever, ever look good. And call me even snobbier, but while we're (not) on the subject, I really wish it was a violation for trash cans to be visible. Nothing ruins a view like a shitload of trash cans on the neighbor's property.

I 100% agree on the chain link fences.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2016, 06:07:20 PM »
I love chain link!

We used to have an extra deep two car. That was nice because you didn't have to fit stuff in like puzzle pieces. A regular two car, with 2 cats, and 4 bikes and a mower and garden toys and kids toys is tight. But not so tight I need a shed- I don't need two cars in the garage in the summer.

Our old neighborhood didn't allow sheds. I thought the rule was dumb but I figured it kept people from filling up more sq footage with stuff they didn't need.

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2016, 07:58:52 PM »
Cant I have stall for my bikes!!!!!!!!!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2016, 08:22:53 PM »
I wish. It's hard to find anything more than one car in NJ (where I live now), and 3 car garages in AZ (where my house is) are generally attached to huge houses.

I want a tiny house with a four (or larger) car garage..

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2016, 08:34:49 PM »

I like that I can see the woods beyond my chain link and the meadow behind me through my chain link.  I can't imagine a wall or privacy fence that would wall me out of nature.  With chain link, I can sit in the middle of the woods and still see out (and my dogs aren't out bothering people or getting eaten by bobcats/coyotes.)

Blatant

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2016, 09:35:10 PM »
I'd LOVE to have a smaller house with more garage. Current Scottsdale house, 3/2, 2100 SF, two-car garage. Dream home: 2/2, ~1400-ish SF, three-car garage.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2016, 06:34:44 AM »
You know, when we built, a garage or carport never even crossed our minds. None of the above is working fine for us. I am glad we have the barn, though.

I don't much like chain link myself, so we went with field wire - cheaper and less visible, so it doesn't cut down the view of the woods and mountains as much.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2016, 06:42:50 AM »
I must live in a less affluent part of the country ;)

I grew up where garages were relatively rare, though we did have a very large barn, a pavilion, a sawmill, a chicken house, multiple run-in sheds, a few wood sheds and a treehouse bigger than your shed. (It was more important to keep the tractors and lawn mower out of the rain that it was the cars...)

My first house did not have a garage, but I want somewhere to stash my 350Z and my motorcycle, so the house we're about to purchase has a one car garage, and a separate garage which isn't really big enough for a car. It was built for a WWII Jeep that the previous owner assembled, so it is slightly small for cars. I imagine the Honda Fit would fit in there, but it wouldn't leave room for a wood saw and other things. While house shopping, we did not look at any houses with a three car garage, though we did see one house with an over-sized, extra deep two car, and I did lust after it!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2016, 06:57:50 AM »
We have a 3 car garage and sought one our specifically for my husband's woodworking. The 3rd stall is extra deep, so when we have guests, we move the workshop and compress it into that space and they can park their car inside.  Really nice for the occasional hail storm!

Shed's in my neighborhood are completely useless. By city ordinance, in our neighborhood, each lot can have a maximum of 1 storage building. It cannot be larger than 6 feet by 10 feet. It must have a permanent concrete foundation and be sided and shingled to match the house.

You can't do much woodworking in 60 square feet.

The neighborhood does have 4 houses (out of maybe 100) with 2 car garages. Ironically, as these are custom builds, the houses are often more expensive... but the 3 owners I know did it to save money overall.

I wish our house was a bit smaller than it is, but you can't get 3 car garages without big houses around here, at least not without owning huge parcels of land with lots of out-buildings, and I didn't want lots of land.

Having previously lived in a house with a 1 car garage and a parking pad, (so in the summer neither car went into the garage, and in the winter 1 did and no woodworking) the garage may be the BEST feature of my current home.  Not having to shovel my car out every morning in the winter is one of the greatest luxuries in life.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 07:16:21 AM by iowajes »

MickeyMoustache

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2016, 07:13:04 AM »
I'm going to be moving across state boundaries in the not too distant future and unless I have a high ceiling basement, I'm going to be getting a house with 3 garage stalls for SURE.  3rd stall will be used for a home gym and the 2nd stall will probably be filled with bikes, 3 kids worth of outdoor stuff, lawn care equipment/tools, etc., with my car stuck out in the driveway (lol).  I wish the current house I live in had 3 stalls for those exact reasons.

To each his own!

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2016, 07:22:37 AM »

I like that I can see the woods beyond my chain link and the meadow behind me through my chain link.  I can't imagine a wall or privacy fence that would wall me out of nature.  With chain link, I can sit in the middle of the woods and still see out (and my dogs aren't out bothering people or getting eaten by bobcats/coyotes.)

I think our HOA only allow split rail fence, at least nobody has chain-link. But I've seen a couple privacy fences so not sure about the rules. I like our split rail, allows us to see the woods behind us

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2016, 07:41:37 AM »

I think our HOA only allow split rail fence, at least nobody has chain-link. But I've seen a couple privacy fences so not sure about the rules. I like our split rail, allows us to see the woods behind us

I've always though fences like this are decorative. 
You kick a soccer ball and it leaves the yard. Dog runs right out it. Bunnies can come right into it.  Even a determined deer could come in through that to get to my garden.  It doesn't seem to do what a fence is designed to do.

We have chain link, but it has to be black. You can also have black iron or white painted wood.  Fences cannot be more than 4 feet high.   One guy has an unpainted 5 foot wood fence and since no one has said anything to the city the city hasn't done anything.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2016, 07:44:44 AM »

You kick a soccer ball and it leaves the yard. Dog runs right out it. Bunnies can come right into it.  Even a determined deer could come in through that to get to my garden.  It doesn't seem to do what a fence is designed to do.

We have chain link, but it has to be black. You can also have black iron or white painted wood.  Fences cannot be more than 4 feet high.   One guy has an unpainted 5 foot wood fence and since no one has said anything to the city the city hasn't done anything.

Look closely at the picture. There is black chain link on the inside of the rails. Neither dog nor child has been able to escape.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2016, 07:47:55 AM »

Look closely at the picture. There is black chain link on the inside of the rails. Neither dog nor child has been able to escape.

Ah, that makes sense. I guess the ones I've seen in real life HAVE been decorative, because I've climbed right through them :)

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2016, 08:40:17 AM »

FYI:  Bunnies can go right through chain link, too.  Visibly they look as if they are 10x the size of the chain link square.  They can go through it at full speed and not even slow down.  I'm ignoring larger domestic rabbits here.  We've had them inside chain link and they are fine.  But even good sized wild rabbits are not deterred by chain link.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2016, 08:49:53 AM »
FYI:  Bunnies can go right through chain link, too.  Visibly they look as if they are 10x the size of the chain link square.  They can go through it at full speed and not even slow down.  I'm ignoring larger domestic rabbits here.  We've had them inside chain link and they are fine.  But even good sized wild rabbits are not deterred by chain link.

Our old chain link fence let bunnies in quite a bit, but then again, a determined dog could push against it and get through, but our new one we've only had two, and they got in at the gate where it is slightly raised.  We have a very prey driven dog. We know if the bunnies are outside the fence or inside it. It's actually really sad, because once they get in, those two haven't been able to get out- and they just launch themselves at the fence hoping it bends for them, but it doesn't.  :(

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2016, 08:53:30 AM »

Our old chain link fence let bunnies in quite a bit, but then again, a determined dog could push against it and get through, but our new one we've only had two, and they got in at the gate where it is slightly raised.  We have a very prey driven dog. We know if the bunnies are outside the fence or inside it. It's actually really sad, because once they get in, those two haven't been able to get out- and they just launch themselves at the fence hoping it bends for them, but it doesn't.  :(

Ours don't go under.  They go right through.  It makes a nice "zing" noise.  I built the chain link myself... it's got about 8 inches underground and the gates are very low (and have a concrete threshold to try to discourage doggie digging.

And our bunnies are really stupid.  They will NEST inside the fence.  Every year we have a procession of "terrier brings cute dead bunny to you as a gift" -- which happens about 5 times in 2 days until they're all gone.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2016, 09:10:26 AM »
Our HOA doesn't allow sheds, but even if they did, we don't have a whole lot of stuff to put there.  A mower, a broadcast spreader, a wheelbarrow, a few smaller yard tools.  Our 3rd bay is occupied 40% by bikes/riding toys/mower, and the rest by my workshop.

Garages are smaller than they used to be.  In order to save costs, builders do the bare minimum to check the box.  In our garage, the 3rd bay is only about 16' deep, and there's about 1' on either side of the overhead doors.  Compare that to my parents, who designed their home:  their garage is an extra 3' deep, the main door is a 19' or 20' x8' door (standard double door is 16'x7'), and they included extra room between and around the bays.  It's positively luxurious!

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2016, 09:11:22 AM »
We are definitely 2-car people and we have extra stuff.  This isn't a diatribe about "clown cars" or anything.  But I really feel like the 3+ garage as a norm has gotten kind of out of hand.  Anyone else have luck with a 2-car garage and a fancy pants "shed" in the burbs????

This isn't exactly what you're asking, but we've done just fine with a 2-car carport and an ancient steel shed. :)  We've got no basement (Florida), but there are just three of us (2 adults and 1 toddler) w/ 1800 sqft, so we've got plenty of space.

Once we get the house painted, I'm going to upgrade the storage in the carport (got some shelving and a metal hutch on the side of the road) and possibly replace the shed (mostly because I don't think it will survive dis/re-assembly).

RamonaQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2016, 01:58:01 PM »
In our neighborhood, sheds are not allowed.  Neither are fences (unless you have a pool, which seems kind of dumb to me.  If you don't want fences, don't let people build pools.  If you don't care about having fences, why do you care if there's a pool or just yard inside it?)  We have a two-car garage and no shed and it is kind of a pain, even without having a ton of stuff.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2016, 02:44:17 PM »
My parents live in a very car-oriented suburb and use their three-car garage. They have two regular-sized cars for most local trips, and a van for traveling.

Here in Seattle even the big, new 3,000 square foot million-dollar houses very rarely have more than a two-car garage. Smaller houses have a one-car garage (if any).

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2016, 02:47:00 PM »

Ours don't go under.  They go right through.  It makes a nice "zing" noise.  I built the chain link myself... it's got about 8 inches underground and the gates are very low (and have a concrete threshold to try to discourage doggie digging.

And our bunnies are really stupid.  They will NEST inside the fence.  Every year we have a procession of "terrier brings cute dead bunny to you as a gift" -- which happens about 5 times in 2 days until they're all gone.

That's crazy! We've had two very young bunnies get STUCK in the chain link, which we've then have to spent a lot of time unwrapping while they scream in terror,  but any that I've seen successful at getting out has gotten out by going under. Usually they just bounce off.

My terrier doesn't understand terriering though, so she's never killed one; she catches them and nibbles on them and nuzzles them until we get to her to get it back.  Possibly they have later died from the heart attack...

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2016, 03:15:15 PM »

They do: it's all in-fill or teardown/rebuild in older neighborhoods.

However, Down here in the South (TX), we don't have basements so I wonder if that plays a role.

On the contrary: down here in the South (GA) we often do have basements. (Hint: coastal South vs. piedmont/mountain South is different.) Granted, basements aren't required due to frost like they are up North, but they're also not impossible like they are near the coast, are desirable to have, and make it easier when building on the side of a hill, so they're pretty common.

I may not be all that familiar with the very recent trends out in the 'burbs, but up until the '90s (at least) normal-sized houses tended to be built with two-car garages, basement or not. My parents' house is 3000 ft2 and is a single-story + unfinished (gigantic!) basement, and has a two-bay (plus alcove) garage on the main level and a single "boat door" downstairs (which, being part of the basement, only cost the price of a wider header beam and the door itself instead of a window). They would probably be able to fit another three or four cars down there in tandem (for a total of six!) if they were willing to drive anything through the yard around to the back.

My 1500 ft2 house (plus ~800ft2 basement) in an 1940s in-town neighborhood has no garage at all, but I have plans to do a similar "garage door to the basement" if I could find a contractor (which is proving to be surprisingly difficult). I could probably fit three cars down there (two in tandem), or four if I installed a beam to eliminate a lally column and maybe moved the furnace. I own three cars (one of which is a project), so that would actually be useful...

Regarding undersized garages in new-builds: that's terrible. Garages ought to be 10' by 20' per vehicle bay, minimum.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2016, 09:24:14 PM »
I've not seen many three car garages, and the place I grew up in had two and a shed. Sheds seem pretty normal here, at least in older areas.

The houses in new developments (in outer suburbs of capital cities) tend to have nothing at all, but that's because the block sizes in new housing developments are getting smaller and smaller. There's no room for a three car garage when you're building a house on a 350m2 block.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2016, 10:13:52 PM »
Our neighborhood is mid-century modern, and the HOA forbids fences. Our recent renovation replaced a tacked-on shed with a veritable bunker that has electricity, concrete about 6 feet down, and siding to match the house. It also conveniently extended the footprint of the house so that if we or a future owner want to build a garage, we can use more lenient setback rules. No garage or carport currently; about half or 2/3 of the houses in the HOA have a carport or garage. New houses in the surrounding neighborhood get built with 3 car garages and 5-6000 sq. ft. of living space.

I've never had a garage, and probably never will. I plan to move to a more urban setting after FIRE.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2016, 02:38:20 AM »
Our neighborhood is mid-century modern, and the HOA forbids fences.

I can't imagine a city/suburban neighbourhood with no fences between homes. So the backyards are just open to the other house?

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2016, 09:29:32 AM »
Our neighborhood is mid-century modern, and the HOA forbids fences.

I can't imagine a city/suburban neighbourhood with no fences between homes. So the backyards are just open to the other house?

You mean like this? (Elgin Illinois from the air)

We, on the other hand can't imagine a suburban neighborhood that's not armed to the teeth with pistols, combat shotguns and assault rifles.  Can't see those driving by though.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2016, 02:42:46 PM »
First, we need to admit that any garage is a luxury item.  I've managed to exist almost five decades and have never had a garage.  Convenient?  Oh, yes -- convenient for multiple reasons -- but not necessary. 

We're in the process of planning a house for our retirement years, and I frequently read a house board.  Essentially everyone is planning a three-car garage, and -- yes -- one of the biggest excuses is that it's necessary for resale in their area.  The other excuse is that everyone needs it to store their junk.  Of course, this is also the "you must have a living room and a family room, an office, a media room, and a playroom for the kids wouldn't hurt -- you must have a dining room, a breakfast room and seating at an oversized island" crowd. 

I'm not buying it. 

I do agree that the Mc-Builders of the world look for places to skimp, and the garage is one of those places.  For example, I was out with a friend the other day, and we had to run back to her house to pick something up -- she had to stop and let me out, then pull into the garage.  Why?  Because her garage is so narrow that she has to pull in alllll the way over to one side so that she can open the driver's door. 

If you're going to build a garage, build it big enough to use!

tobitonic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2016, 07:15:13 PM »
Pretty much anything is a luxury beyond food and shelter. The very concept of a planned house for retirement is a luxury; most people across the globe who are lucky enough to formally retire simply retire wherever they happen to be living.

For that matter, the very concept of retirement as defined as a time when you live independently for decades off personal, business, or government income is a luxury. Most folks just keep working until they physically can't, and then are taken care of by immediate or extended family. This is how things were in the US less than a century ago, and is how things still are in a lot of places today.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2016, 09:32:01 PM »
After reading this thread know I'll avoid buying a HOA governed home.  I guess i'd would save me a lot of time deciding what to do, since the rules don't leave much to consider.

There are already too many rules in life for me already.  I'd never "pay" to endure more rules. 

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2016, 10:07:16 PM »
I completely agree with the no HOA sentiment.  I refuse to pay for another level of government.  However, the poster who said that a garage is pure luxury, nope, I must protest that one.  A garage is the sole reason that I don't live in an apartment. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!